Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Tiggum posted:

What? I thought this was bullshit, so I checked the three different jars of mustard in my fridge - none of them contain turmeric. Why would mustard have turmeric in it?

Want to get rid of morning breath? Toothpaste isn't just a silver polish, it can also be used to cleanse the filth from your teeth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Mikl posted:

"Put charcoal in your fridge to eliminate odours."

Or, you know, use something that's food-safe and found in all kitchens, like baking soda.

I'm dying at the suggestion that somehow charcoal, something we literally put down poisoned people's throats is not safe. Like, can you not Google this stuff? Do you need a librarians help to look this up?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

El_Elegante posted:

I'm dying at the suggestion that somehow charcoal, something we literally put down poisoned people's throats is not safe. Like, can you not Google this stuff? Do you need a librarians help to look this up?

This kills me.

Like, they literally have you drink a charcoal suspension at the hospital/in the ambulance if you've overdosed on certain things.

Goons :rolleyes:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mikl posted:

Or, you know, use something that's food-safe and found in all kitchens, like baking soda.

I thought the baking soda thing was a myth.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

El_Elegante posted:

Charcoal by itself is totally fine but charcoal briquettes are not pure charcoal and also usually contain stuff like borax, saltpeter, and coal. Like, nothing that will kill on contact but also nothing I'd particularly want to eat, and that's not even getting into the worse brands that soak the bricks in petrol-based starter fluids.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm dumb ignore this post.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

The medical charcoal/carbon is called 'Activated Carbon/Charcoal' and is heat treated to increase absorbtion. Still, literally the thing used to to treat poisoning, overdose etc.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Also great for heartburn.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

No, it really is found in a lot of kitchens.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

It's the sodium bicarbonate. It will react with things that are strongly acidic (like bad food odors). But it will also react to water and crust over, so it's not terribly effective.

So, it works to an extent, but not as well as activated charcoal. But it's much cheaper and easier to find in a store.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flosofl posted:

It's the sodium bicarbonate. It will react with things that are strongly acidic (like bad food odors).

Yeah, I know what baking soda is, I just thought it had been shown to be ineffective in actually absorbing odors. Baking soda should neutralize both acid and base, IIRC, but having that's not the same as it meaningfully affecting the air in the fridge. Maybe I'll care enough to look when I'm not phoneposting.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

EZipperelli posted:

This kills me.

Like, they literally have you drink a charcoal suspension at the hospital/in the ambulance if you've overdosed on certain things.

Goons :rolleyes:

Happened to a friend of mine. Took too many caffeine pills pulling all-nighters studying for finals. Said initially that drinking the suspension was the most horrible thing ever but changed her tune the next day when she went through an entire 24-pack of toilet paper :smithcloud:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I know what baking soda is, I just thought it had been shown to be ineffective in actually absorbing odors. Baking soda should neutralize both acid and base, IIRC, but having that's not the same as it meaningfully affecting the air in the fridge. Maybe I'll care enough to look when I'm not phoneposting.

This is the best I could find in my 5 second google:

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/2566/does-baking-soda-remove-odors

He ends up citing an article I can't find anymore, but the quote is familiar so I want to think I read the same article at some point:

quote:

The popular "open box of Arm & HammerŪ in the refrigerator" simply provides an adsorbent material that can soak up odors -- but not very effectively. For example, if some of the odoriferous materials floating around in the refrigerator are acidic, the alkaline baking soda can absorb and neutralize the acid. Even in that regard, it is not all that effective because, as the powder in the box contacts water vapor, it tends to crust over an lose a great deal of its already limited surface activity.

So, I guess the answer is "technically yes", but it's really not near as good as people think.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

El_Elegante posted:

But you can light charcoal on fire! What if you get it in you and somebody lights it on fire????!?!!!? :ohdear:

Well pure charcoal is just carbon but other charcoals can have crap added to it. Self-starting charcoal is not something you should be eating.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Happened to a friend of mine. Took too many caffeine pills pulling all-nighters studying for finals. Said initially that drinking the suspension was the most horrible thing ever but changed her tune the next day when she went through an entire 24-pack of toilet paper :smithcloud:

My dog ate some chocolate, so the vet gave him activated charcoal after purging his stomach. The next day, dog does the butt scoot across the carpet and draws a line with his butthole.

ONE WEIRD TRICK to turn your dog's rear end in a top hat into a pencil! #walla

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

flosofl posted:

So, it works to an extent, but not as well as activated charcoal. But it's much cheaper and easier to find in a store.

You can get activated charcoal at pet stores for use in fish tank filtration - I wouldn't eat the stuff but keeping an open carton in the fridge is basically magical.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

QuelleFuck posted:

My dog ate some chocolate, so the vet gave him activated charcoal after purging his stomach. The next day, dog does the butt scoot across the carpet and draws a line with his butthole.

ONE WEIRD TRICK to turn your dog's rear end in a top hat into a pencil! #walla

It would be cruel, but I'd love to see an artist exploit this somehow

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hello I loosely read this thread and interpreted it as a recommendation to eat a big bag of charcoal because it gives you powers. Well I did and now I am very ill and suing everyone in this thread for malpractice thank you for understa

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

netally posted:

Has anyone pointed out yet that gnocchi is made from potatoes? Reshaping a food doesn't turn it into another food.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkinSznLo5s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX128MzM64s
He used to post on SA too and totally used SA to rig the Australia TV awards.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Yum, disgusting pasty potato balls. LifeHack##

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FutonForensic posted:

Hello I loosely read this thread and interpreted it as a recommendation to eat a big bag of charcoal because it gives you powers. Well I did and now I am very ill and suing everyone in this thread for malpractice thank you for understa

You don't eat charcoal, you eyeball it. :rolleyes:

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Since I guess we're doing charcoal hacks: The best activated carbon for gas adsorption at cryogenic temperatures is the stuff you make yourself. Simply take coconut husks and heat to 800C in an oxygen-free environment. Walla! #cryostathacks

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

LifeHack: Instead of just moving the power cables to the poo poo you take away from your kids, go buy things to put on them! Bonus points when something possibly bad happens if they try to plug it in with the lock still around it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You're thinking about this wrong.

LifeHack: One weird trick to get around your mom's mean punishment with just two carefully-placed forks!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

It's the sodium bicarbonate. It will react with things that are strongly acidic (like bad food odors). But it will also react to water and crust over, so it's not terribly effective.

This might be really dumb but I never understood the baking soda in the fridge thing. Let's assume that it really does work. Isn't it just absorbing the odors that whatever is making the odor is putting off?

Why wouldn't you just remove/clean whatever is making the odor?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MindlessHavok posted:

This might be really dumb but I never understood the baking soda in the fridge thing. Let's assume that it really does work. Isn't it just absorbing the odors that whatever is making the odor is putting off?

Some odors linger, but yeah removing and then cleaning would probably do the trick.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

MindlessHavok posted:

When I worked at a ballpark we would go through ~1500 hamburgers, ~2000 Hebrew Nationals and somewhere around 500-800 pieces of chicken every week just at my buffet area. At the end of the week the grounds crew would come in and power wash everything clean, but in between then there are just odors that build up when you have that much raw meat being stored in an area. Not to mention things like 5 pound buckets of sauerkraut and onions.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Danyull posted:

LifeHack: Instead of just moving the power cables to the poo poo you take away from your kids, go buy things to put on them! Bonus points when something possibly bad happens if they try to plug it in with the lock still around it.
None of our plugs in Australia have those holes in the prongs. Or if they do I assume they're not up to safety standards. How do I punish my kids then?
That's also kinda pointless since most electronics have power cables you can switch out apart from like a TV?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Also, why not just take away the device in question instead of taking away the charging cord? Or is this meant to be some stealth punishment when the kid goes to charge their stuff and realizes it's, uh, "locked up"?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

oopsie rock posted:

Also, why not just take away the device in question instead of taking away the charging cord? Or is this meant to be some stealth punishment when the kid goes to charge their stuff and realizes it's, uh, "locked up"?

If you try to take their iphone they might argue, so this way they can avoid confrontation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

oopsie rock posted:

That looks like it's actually the power cord to something like a TV or game console. Except for laptops, most device chargers seem to have a separate USB cord and wall plug.

Though if that really is a laptop charger, good luck loving your kid over if their computer dies when they need internet access for school.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Danyull posted:

My parents did this kind of non-confrontantional bullshit all the time and I grew to genuinely hate them so much that I haven't visited them in around a decade. Now that I think about it, that was probably their plan all along. I got lifehacked.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
http://youtu.be/_RtS2m48DdU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

My parents did this kind of non-confrontantional bullshit all the time and I grew to genuinely hate them so much that I haven't visited them in around a decade. Now that I think about it, that was probably their plan all along. I got lifehacked.

That kind of punishment is one of the quintessential stupid punishments that doesn't help but every parent or wannabe parent thinks it's a great loving idea. How many kids with lovely parents use the Internet or their games as a coping mechanism to deal with having lovely parents and just get more upset when it's taken away from them? poo poo, how many kids are actually slacking or misbehaving because they have entertainment to distract them? Chances are taking away their stuff isn't going to do anything to make them a harder worker because they have some other underlying reason why they're behaving in a way that you don't want.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Your parents took away your toys so you shunned them?

Wow.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

El Estrago Bonito posted:

When I worked at a ballpark we would go through ~1500 hamburgers, ~2000 Hebrew Nationals and somewhere around 500-800 pieces of chicken every week just at my buffet area.

I just want to mention how strange this sentence looked until I googled it and found out that "Hebrew Nationals" is a type of kosher hot dog.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

SiKboy posted:

I just want to mention how strange this sentence looked until I googled it and found out that "Hebrew Nationals" is a type of kosher hot dog.

And they're delicious, too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SiKboy posted:

Is it skinless?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Is it skinless?

Just the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

When I worked at a ballpark we would go through ~1500 hamburgers, ~2000 Hebrew Nationals and somewhere around 500-800 pieces of chicken every week just at my buffet area. At the end of the week the grounds crew would come in and power wash everything clean, but in between then there are just odors that build up when you have that much raw meat being stored in an area. Not to mention things like 5 pound buckets of sauerkraut and onions.

Well okay fine yeah for a ballpark fridge but I'm talking about a normal household fridge. I guess I've just never had a problem with fridge odors and I've been living on my own for 14 years. If something smelled in the fridge it was identified and thrown away. I guess maybe because I've always lived in apartments with new/newer appliances so I never really had to deal with lingering smells from an older fridge.