Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Is this better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So how is it being the guy who gets to drive cool cars whole every other Ars editor write a about bit coins and cell phones?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is the 5th fastest car at drag week right now. a twin turbo big block chevette.

he ran 7.891 at 177mph yesterday, just over 8 today. He could finish with a sub-8 second average.

For those who don't know, for drag week, they drive these cars from track to track, driving ~1500 miles on the highway and doing a day at each drag strip. This guy is rocking it in a chevette.

Jeff lutz jr is also running a civic this year, which is hilarious. He ran 8.161 yesterday, but wants to get the car into the 6s.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 15, 2015

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

This is the 5th fastest car at drag week right now. a twin turbo big block chevette.

he ran 7.891 at 177mph yesterday, just over 8 today. He could finish with a sub-8 second average.

For those who don't know, for drag week, they drive these cars from track to track, driving ~1500 miles on the highway and doing a day at each drag strip. This guy is rocking it in a chevette.

Jeff lutz jr is also running a civic this year, which is hilarious. He ran 8.161 yesterday, but wants to get the car into the 6s.

Is that his Civic from the leafblower Monza episode?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is there anywhere that runs current, or even live, Drag Week coverage?

Jeff Lutz Sr going 6.051@251.95 has most certainly perked my interest.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Is there anywhere that runs current, or even live, Drag Week coverage?

Jeff Lutz Sr going 6.051@251.95 has most certainly perked my interest.

There's only half hour left today, but motor trend live streams the entire day every day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Jiuw3Dx98

scuz posted:

Is that his Civic from the leafblower Monza episode?

yeah. he's been trying to get it to drag week for a few years now.

he's about to run it on the link above. go now!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

IOwnCalculus posted:

40 PSI is still higher than the recommended pressure on anything I've ever owned (I don't think I've owned anything recommending higher than 35 PSI), and I'd also wager that Lincoln has much more sidewall to play with. Nobody would have expected that Lincoln to display anything close to "handling". Whereas that Bentley is bought by people who still expect a three-ton "car" to handle like it weighs half that, at higher speeds, and with sidewalls about as thick as the average condom.

My Volvo V70R indicates 41 psi rear :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Yeah I recall my Sumitomo and Toyo tires being 42 and 45 respectively. That was a 235 65 17 light truck all terrain tire though :shrug:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hunter S. Thompson posted:

“The Coupe de Ville is not your ideal machine for high speed cornering in residential neighborhoods. The handling is very mushy… unlike the Red Shark, which had responded very nicely to situations requiring the quick fourwheel drift. But the Whale Bad of cutting loose at the critical moment – had a tendency to dig in, which accounted for that sickening ‘here we go’ sensation.

At first I thought it was only because the tires were soft, so I took it into the Texaco station next to the Flamingo and had the tires pumped up to fifty pounds each which alarmed the attendant, until I explained that these were “experimental” tires.

But fifty pounds each didn’t help the cornering, so I swent back a few hours later and told him I wanted to try seventy five. He shook his head nervously. “Not me,” he said, handing me the air hose. “Here. They’re your tires. You do it.”

“What’s wrong?” I asked. “You think they can’t take seventy-five?” He nodded, moving away as I stooped to deal with the left front. “You’re drat right,” he said. “Those tires want twenty eight in the front and thirty two in the rear. Hell, fifty’s dangerous, but seventy five is crazy. They’ll explode!” I shook my head and kept filling the left front. “I told you,” I said, “Sandoz laboratories designed these tires. They’re special. I could load them up to a hundred.

“God almighty!” he groaned. “Don’t do that here.”

“Not today,” I replied. “I want to see how they corner with seventy-five.” He chuckled. “You won’t even get to the corner, Mister.”

“We’ll see,” I said, moving around to the rear with the air-hose. In truth, I was nervous. The two front ones were tighter than snare drums; they felt like teak wood when I tapped on them with the rod. But what the hell? I thought. If they explode, so what? It’s not often that a man gets a chance to run terminal experiments on a virgin Cadillac and four brand-new $80 tires. For all I knew, the thing might start cornering like a Lotus Elan. If not, all I had to do was call the VIP agency and have another one delivered… maybe threaten them with a lawsuit because all four tires had exploded on me, while driving in heavy traffic. Demand an Eldorado, next time, with four Michelin Xs. And put it all on the card… charge it to the St. Louis Browns.

As it turned out, the Whale behaved very nicely with the altered tire pressures. The ride was a trifle rough; I could feel every pebble on the highway, like being on roller skates in a gravel pit… but the thing began cornering in a very stylish manner, very much like driving a motorcycle at top speed in a hard rain: one slip and ZANG, over the high side, cartwheeling across the landscape with your head in your hands.”

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Anyone going to no fly Arizona on October 3rd? Bunch of super cars racing half mile on a runway. Sounds like a good waste of 10 bucks for me.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Leather Bear posted:

So how is it being the guy who gets to drive cool cars whole every other Ars editor write a about bit coins and cell phones?

Only a handful of them even care about cars, it's odd. But I'm not going to deny it's a pretty good job. However you do have to make hard choices, when the new Volt drive is scheduled for the same day as Ford inviting you to go to a track and drive the new Shelbys. The Volt is a more important car for us to cover, which I think is the universe's way of saying "you just got to drive a Huracan for a few days, don't get cocky." ;)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Anyone going to no fly Arizona on October 3rd? Bunch of super cars racing half mile on a runway. Sounds like a good waste of 10 bucks for me.

Never even heard of this event, but it's only about 30 minutes away from home. Maybe I'll go down if nothing else is on my schedule.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

a good picture

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

drgitlin posted:

Is this better?

Yeah ok that's a bit better, I'm gonna allow it.

Edit: that'd actually be like 38 mpg according to that averge

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 15, 2015

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

drgitlin posted:

Is this better?

I would imagine that for a Lambo owner fuel economy isn't a massive concern, but is it the fuel consumption set in gal/h because mpg is so bad it's painful?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

neckbeard posted:

I would imagine that for a Lambo owner fuel economy isn't a massive concern, but is it the fuel consumption set in gal/h because mpg is so bad it's painful?

If you're stationary then it reads as gal/h. Must be an Audi thing as the RS7 did that too. Overall I got just under 16 mpg over about 500 miles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like to think of it as a timer of how long you can have fun before the car is tired and needs a rest.

You don't care how far, just how long.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

One handed rally style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78abpmU8SiU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
A guy named Löörs Svensson posted this to a Can-Am group I'm in. Dude is a genius

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 15, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

They had the partner car to this one (which was the same Jaaaaag that won the Bathurst 1000 in 1985) at the Australian Grand Prix doing laps at the start of the day, and it sounded amazing. It even drowned out the old Group A Holden V8s that were travelling with it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Saw some cool poo poo today.

This one while I was out picking up parts in the work truck. Only had my cell phone on me, and the parts store guys (jokingly) gave me poo poo for playing paparazzi, but it was too cool not to. Pinto wagon with Mustang running gear and I believe Mustang interior as well. Super cool little car.

This one I just saw while grabbing lunch and luckily had my real camera on me. Don't know any details, the owners were inside the cafe across the street eating so I didn't want to bust in and find them and bug them. Figure i'd snap a few quick shots though, because holy gently caress it's beautiful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What kind of engine is that? It appears to be twin spark?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Slavvy posted:

What kind of engine is that? It appears to be twin spark?

426 Hemi maybe? According to Allpar there were a small number of dual plug heads made for them back in the early 70's.

e: Judging by the "KB" thing next to the intake, I'm wondering if maybe it's a Keith Black crate motor.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 16, 2015

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015
Japanese guys souping up Dodge cargo vans and racing them like they're loving go carts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-j29ozp_yM

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sorry I'm 2 days late, but one more Jag V12 to prove the point: https://youtu.be/VMP7fW7tj3w?t=225

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
After much cogitation I have decided this one belongs in this thread.

I mean, I can't think of many good uses for a new beetle chassis, and the bodywork appeared at least reasonably competent. Pretty sure it is on top of the chassis from that DJ? body in front of it...

Odd way of cutting the rear windows and bodywork out, but the wheelbase actually matched up mostly and the lift wasn't too obscene nor the fender wells mismatched with the tires.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 16, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

T1g4h posted:

426 Hemi maybe? According to Allpar there were a small number of dual plug heads made for them back in the early 70's.

e: Judging by the "KB" thing next to the intake, I'm wondering if maybe it's a Keith Black crate motor.

That's what it is, and twin spark 426's laid the groundwork for today's nitro motors. Keith Black with his 426's and the Donovan 417 blocks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

After much cogitation I have decided this one belongs in this thread.

I mean, I can't think of many good uses for a new beetle chassis, and the bodywork appeared at least reasonably competent. Pretty sure it is on top of the chassis from that DJ? body in front of it...

Odd way of cutting the rear windows and bodywork out, but the wheelbase actually matched up mostly and the lift wasn't too obscene nor the fender wells mismatched with the tires.

i'm sure the car was shortened to match the wheelbase.

It was probably a combination of needing a new body to keep him warm while plowing snow, and finding a busted rear end beetle on the side of the road.

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007

All I see is a car eating another car. Hungry hungry car

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Look at it. Look at it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's a mid 90's Goldwing by it, too, isn't it?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

That's a mid 90's Goldwing by it, too, isn't it?

Nope, it's a '01+ Goldwing.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

T1g4h posted:

Saw some cool poo poo today.

That grille thing below the bumper makes it look like it's got a goddamn huge intercooler.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Friar Zucchini posted:

That grille thing below the bumper makes it look like it's got a goddamn huge intercooler.

Incidentally, that Pinto is the first car I've ever seen wearing those particular Mustang OE wheels (I think they were for V6 cars?) that didn't look like total rear end. They kinda work on the Pinto. It could use to be just a touch lower, though. Not belly scraping, but just a smidge.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i was reminded today that patrick stewart did the bbc introductions for the 2013 formula 1 season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0W0MVNF21Q

he's so dreamy :allears:

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015

Linedance posted:

Look at it. Look at it.

You know when I see a car like this the first thing I do is I say would you look at this?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Friar Zucchini posted:

You know, i'm still not sure what's up with that. I'm guessing maybe the radiator was a bit too big and it pokes out below the bumper, so that's there to protect it? I didn't think to ask.