Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Considering Assad and Isis are two evil empires fighting it out with innocents caught in the middle, its probably a net positive if one of them got eliminated, and i'd prefer that one be Isis since assad will not try and conquer iraq.

If that was just those two who were fighting, like maybe. Either of those two groups not existing, ignoring any other factors, would certainly be a good thing for the world in general, but as at the moment Assad seems pretty intent on focusing on FSA and the Kurds, I think its pretty likely they're the ones who are going to get hosed over by this first and foremost, then maybe after however long that takes, if Russia still cares at that point, Assad would move on to ISIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, when the dust clears, it will be JaN, Jaysh, and Ahrar who get to rule the rubble. Neither ISIS nor the regime are sustainable in the long term.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

dr_rat posted:

If that was just those two who were fighting, like maybe. Either of those two groups not existing, ignoring any other factors, would certainly be a good thing for the world in general, but as at the moment Assad seems pretty intent on focusing on FSA and the Kurds, I think its pretty likely they're the ones who are going to get hosed over by this first and foremost, then maybe after however long that takes, if Russia still cares at that point, Assad would move on to ISIS.

What? Aside from a few clashes Assad and the SAA have largely not given a single solitary gently caress at all about the Kurds and what they do

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

dr_rat posted:

When has Assad gone after the Kurds short of skirmishes since the entire area is a war zone? I'm pretty sure they have shared a border in northern Syria for the duration of the conflict. Assas is worried about the rebels and ISIS, in very degrees

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009

Jagchosis posted:

What? Aside from a few clashes Assad and the SAA have largely not given a single solitary gently caress at all about the Kurds and what they do

If ISIS and the other rebels collapse the Kurds will surely follow? Assad wants to rule all of Syria, as he once did.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

hypnorotic posted:

If ISIS and the other rebels collapse the Kurds will surely follow? Assad wants to rule all of Syria, as he once did.

Assad was less of a dick to the Kurds then Turkey is, and I'm not certain the Kurds would want to fight Assad too as opposed to the pre-war paradigm of the Syrian govt discriminating towards them. Can someone with more knowledge of the local history weigh in? I know the Syrian govt has never been overly kind to the Kurds, but it was pretty peaceful compared to Turkey.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Assad was less of a dick to the Kurds then Turkey is, and I'm not certain the Kurds would want to fight Assad too as opposed to the pre-war paradigm of the Syrian govt discriminating towards them. Can someone with more knowledge of the local history weigh in? I know the Syrian govt has never been overly kind to the Kurds, but it was pretty peaceful compared to Turkey.

Discrimination is pretty euphemistic for the status Kurds had in Syria. You have to at least acknowledge a people exist to discriminate against them. When the regime first took power, it required Kurds to come to government centers to show ID. Their ID's were confiscated, they became undocumented, and it became essentially illegal to be a Kurd. Wearing Kurdish dress was grounds for detainment, torture, and massive crackdowns, much less attempting to support a Kurdish party. Crackdowns on people celebrating Newroz forced many Kurds to flee to Iraq, and things were getting pretty ugly prior to the start of the Civil War. Rojava will never submit to Assad rule, and Assad will never recognize a Kurdish state. If the YPG was the only concern the regime had within Syria, they'd be barrel bombing sere kaniye just as hard as they do Douma.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Things are afoot with the Kurds:
Tweet by Brett McGurk, who is currently the "Deputy Special Presidential Envoy to the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL" (read: he's basically in charge of the anti-ISIL stuff)
https://twitter.com/brett_mcgurk/status/643780266335469569

quote:

Important meetings today in #Erbil w/President Masud Barzani & #PYD's @serokepyd on combined efforts against #ISIL.

quote:

Discussed ongoing #Peshmerga ops against #ISIL terrorists with @CJTFOIR's LTG Terry & Pres. Barzani today in #Erbil.

https://twitter.com/heminhawrami/status/643818396333686784

quote:

Important .President #Barzani met high level American delegation & later met Salih Muslim. Coordination on Syria.

Salih Muslim is of course the co-chairman of the Democratic Union Party (PYD) in Rojava in Northern Syria.

It appears that these talks were rather fruitful:
https://twitter.com/heminhawrami/status/643847301228855298

quote:

#Rojava Peshmarga who hav been trained by KRG will return to Rojava. Jointly w/ @pyd_rojava fight ISIS, protect Kurdish areas.
Looks like the US has decided that sticking with both the Iraqi and Syrian Kurds against ISIL is the best plan forward.:getin:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's been ongoing gunfire in Riyadh for like 4 hours and no one seems to know what's going on.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

fade5 posted:

Joshua Landis did a cool article following the history of Liwa Thuwwar Raqqa:
http://www.joshualandis.com/blog/liwa-thuwar-al-raqqa-history-analysis-interview/
Some of it has been discussed before, but it's nice to see it all laid out like that.

Also, an interesting tweet from a few days ago about Liwa Thuwwar Raqqa:
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/640940958356410368
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/640941123523899392

So it seems the US does indeed want Liwa Thuwwar Raqqa to be part of our "vetted rebels", but Turkey's burning hatred of the YPG supersedes their support for FSA groups, at least for now.

Honestly, is Turkey really a net positive for NATO anymore?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Volkerball posted:

There's been ongoing gunfire in Riyadh for like 4 hours and no one seems to know what's going on.

Fingers crossed that Saudi evil is coming home to roost.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Looking at some of the videos on Twittee there's definitely someone dumping with HMGs.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

How are u posted:

Fingers crossed that Saudi evil is coming home to roost.

If that's happening it's probably mostly going to be innocent people dying, and not say, House of Saud members

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Golbez posted:

If you think NATO's primary mission of minimizing Russian influence is still important, they definitely are since the Turkish Straits are incredibly important strategically. If you don't think keeping Russia down should be priority one (and this needn't imply Russophilia, simply a belief that Russia isn't capable of projecting power far beyond its borders anymore) then the answer is closer to being no, but pushing Turkey out and turning them into yet another (particularly powerful) dysfunctional Middle Eastern state instead of a borderline European country would be even worse.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As lovely as the situation with Turkey is now developing to be, I think it's clearly much better to work with them then cut Erdogan loose and have them go off the rails completely.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Volkerball posted:

I can't find any news reports about this who's reporting?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

As lovely as the situation with Turkey is now developing to be, I think it's clearly much better to work with them then cut Erdogan loose and have them go off the rails completely.

Erdogan won't be around indefinitely either.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Golbez posted:

Purely by the virtue of where they're positioned in the world, they're absolutely vital.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Right now it's mainly Twitter based sources. There seem to be plenty of videos floating around of something going on. It's either an isolated thing that Twitter has blown up into a poo poo show or the major organisations are being slow

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sinteres posted:

If you think NATO's primary mission of minimizing Russian influence is still important, they definitely are since the Turkish Straits are incredibly important strategically. If you don't think keeping Russia down should be priority one (and this needn't imply Russophilia, simply a belief that Russia isn't capable of projecting power far beyond its borders anymore) then the answer is closer to being no, but pushing Turkey out and turning them into yet another (particularly powerful) dysfunctional Middle Eastern state instead of a borderline European country would be even worse.

They've never been a 'borderline European country' and them no longer being part of NATO wouldn't cause them to immediately implode into a Syria-style hellscape. It might start a three/four-way arms race between them, Iran, SA, and Israel though, whereas now they're content to just sit back, ethnically cleanse the few minorities they have left, and let the US take care of their foreign policy

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

Rami al Lolah seems to have the most details, but a few others have talked about it.

Supposedly some of the aftermath, but several roads are still closed and it's still a very quiet story.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

J33uk posted:

Right now it's mainly Twitter based sources. There seem to be plenty of videos floating around of something going on. It's either an isolated thing that Twitter has blown up into a poo poo show or the major organisations are being slow

I suppose links are out of the question

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Banano posted:

This chain of tweets

https://twitter.com/RamiAlLolah/status/643826529613520896

Few videos here.

https://twitter.com/search?f=videos&vertical=default&q=riyadh&src=typd

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Well, Saudi Arabia is engaging in an aggressive campaign in Yemen that has produced a lot of civilian casualties. Retaliation for that seems like the most likely cause of whatever attack this is. It is strange that no major news websites have taken it up yet, though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like a police raid on a home.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Banano posted:

Sorry about that, was phone posting while out and about. Thanks to other folks for picking up the slack.

Sounds like one hell of a home raid

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Small crosspost
While it's not directly related to the Middle East, have this:

:stare:

:stonklol:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

They've never been a 'borderline European country' and them no longer being part of NATO wouldn't cause them to immediately implode into a Syria-style hellscape. It might start a three/four-way arms race between them, Iran, SA, and Israel though, whereas now they're content to just sit back, ethnically cleanse the few minorities they have left, and let the US take care of their foreign policy

Part of Turkey is literally in Europe, and they're the only "non-European" country to ever negotiate to join the EU, even if it never ends up happening. Even without the EU, NATO membership definitely integrates them in some way with Europe. I think you're kind of splitting hairs about the second part too, since a deeper involvement in the conflicts in the region would be a big part of what would make them a dysfunctional Middle Eastern state, combined with the already increasingly paranoid and autocratic leader they have who'd almost certainly become even more extreme if the West tore up their alliance with his country. This will never happen though; it would be far more likely for NATO to push the military of Turkey to overthrow Erdogan than it would be for them to kick Turkey out.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

How are u posted:

If Russia wants to put boots on the ground in Syria then they are welcome to it. God help anybody that sends Troops to the ME.

And hey at least this time they don't have to pretend to be disaffected separatists!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So the twitter feed of Ali Abdullah Saleh says that the Saudi Republican Guard fired on the convoy of the Saudi secretary of defense? Um... I wouldn't take his word for it...
https://mobile.twitter.com/AliAbdulahSaleh/status/643844247045672962

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Charliegrs posted:

So the twitter feed of Ali Abdullah Saleh says that the Saudi Republican Guard fired on the convoy of the Saudi secretary of defense? Um... I wouldn't take his word for it...
https://mobile.twitter.com/AliAbdulahSaleh/status/643844247045672962

He's talking about the Yemeni Republican Guard, not the Saudi National Guard. It sounds totally bogus either ways.

Also that twitter account looks fake as all hell. There's no way it would be in all English like this. Lots of babbling and nowhere near the amount of followers an actual account would have.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 16, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Another depressing NY Times article — this one details daily life in the Damascus suburb of Douma.

http://nyti.ms/1URyfIJ

The most striking detail is that after morning prayers many people walk to the outskirts of town, wait out the day's bombing, then walk back. It reminds me of the famous pictures of people watching San Francisco burn after the earthquake from the nearby hills:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/cph.3a28833/

That would be pretty hilarious if those were all (before the quake/fire) homeless people.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

How are u posted:

If Russia wants to put boots on the ground in Syria then they are welcome to it. God help anybody that sends Troops to the ME.

We're sorry to inform you that your son who has been gone for 10 months was killed in Ukraine Syria fighting terrorists.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

sparatuvs posted:

We're sorry to inform you that your son who has been gone for 10 months was killed in Ukraine Syria fighting terrorists.

And the funny thing is that, if I understand correctly, if Russia isn't in a declared state of war then then any soldiers that die have to remain classified. Meaning if the families talk about it they can end up in jail. This was a pretty recent thing that Putin signed into law after some uppity families were talking to the media about their sons dying in the war that Russia isn't having with Ukraine.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/29/world/europe/putin-russian-soldiers-ukraine.html?referrer=

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Peel posted:

Erdogan won't be around indefinitely either.

He could still become Turkey's dear leader, you know.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

After some thought (and those horrific numbers regarding the numbers killed in Syria due to aerial bombardment), I think the only morally justifiable response, if you supported the NATO intervention in Kosovo, and the NATO intervention in Libya, is a NATO led bombardment of Syria's air force to the aim of creating a no fly zone in the country.

I'm curious to know whether there was much support for this in 2012 in Europe, as the intervention in Libya was pushed forward by French academics and politicians, and why it didn't occur in Syria's case. It only led to the present refugee crisis, which was completely forseeable.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Shageletic posted:

After some thought (and those horrific numbers regarding the numbers killed in Syria due to aerial bombardment), I think the only morally justifiable response, if you supported the NATO intervention in Kosovo, and the NATO intervention in Libya, is a NATO led bombardment of Syria's air force to the aim of creating a no fly zone in the country.

Yes, what could possibly go wrong?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
... that hasn't already?

I guess right now, (one) issue is that NATO would probably be attacking Russians by doing so, which would be a bit of a problem.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Mission creep turns to air strikes against SAA hard targets, eroding their ability to fight and leading to Allawite genocide? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I'm curious to know whether there was much support for this in 2012 in Europe, as the intervention in Libya was pushed forward by French academics and politicians, and why it didn't occur in Syria's case. It only led to the present refugee crisis, which was completely forseeable.

I think any real interest in this died after Libya descended into a Mad Max hellscape despite the sucesful NATO 'no fly zone' (close air support).

• Locked thread