Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fun fact: John Philip Sousa IV runs Ben Carson's Super PAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DaveWoo posted:

Quote of the Day - "President Trump today announced that the first season of "The Apprentice: White House Edition" will air on CBS this fall. Contestants, including Gary Busey, Ted Cruz and Kanye West, will vie for Cabinet positions. The announcement came as the newly renamed "Hair Force One" touched down in South Dakota for the unveiling of President Trump's face on Mount Rushmore. Meanwhile, first lady Melania had reason to celebrate as her White House-branded perfume, Trump, by Trump, hit Macy's shelves ..." ~Gov. Bobby Jindal

Gary Busey as part of a presidential administration is reason enough to vote for Donald Trump.

:ohdear: "Mr. President, Putin's on the phone and sounds angry."
:smuggo: "Again? Oh alright. Hey Gary, phone call for you."
:catdrugs: "HI THIS IS GARY WHO THE gently caress IS THIS? WHAT? WHO'S PUKING?"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
http://trumprally.ytmnd.com/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, that was billed as a policy speech on national security. So, if you watched it, now you know Donald's positions on that issue.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was billed as a speech on a battleship!

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Donald Trump tossing MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN hats at people on the deck of a Battleship while THE STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER plays over the loudspeaker.

Great moment, or greatest moment?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

By the way, that was billed as a policy speech on national security. So, if you watched it, now you know Donald's positions on that issue.

His policy is strong and good and the best.

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 7h7 hours ago

.@rushlimbaugh Rush, I am in LA inspecting property (big job creator) & listening to you. You are truly fantastic--thanks!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The fact that Big Radio is behind him for the most part gives me a lot of hope for Trumpmentum against a divided real-people field.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Joementum posted:

His fact was incorrect. Only three Presidents did not hold office first, all of them former generals (Taylor, Grant, Eisenhower).

Elected office? Taft and Hoover.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Fun fact: the USS Iowa and USS Wisconsin are required by an act of Congress from 2005 to be kept in sufficient shape (avoid rust, mechanical upkeep) that they could be put into service, if needed.

They are also anchored on opposite coasts in case they need to be pressed into service to defend against a bi-coastal attack.

I don't think this is a thing anymore. They've both been sold.

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

Joementum posted:

His position is that he's going to throw hats at America's enemies, but these enemies won't be able to get them.
I thought that was obvious :colbert:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
DNC officials have flipped the switch from "anonymous grousing" to "open revolt" against Debbie Wasserman-Schulz's leadership at the DNC and handling of the primary.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2015/09/11/top-mass-democrat-compares-dnc-dictatorship/fbfonfjnDLQzhh3G2TdJvJ/story.html

quote:

Deb Kozikowski, vice chairwoman of the Massachusetts Democratic Party, said the chief of the Democratic National Committee, US Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, had done a disservice to grass-roots volunteers by allowing Republicans to dominate the airwaves for the last month. "How do I tell these really dedicated Democrats who work really hard from top to bottom that debates for our presidential candidates are restricted, and they're there watching all these Republicans get all this air time?" she said. "I think about the folks at the grass roots who work day in day out, no money no glory, because they believe in democracy with a small 'd' and the Democratic Party with a large 'D,' getting bombarded with all these Republican candidates."

quote:

Two national committee vice chairs, US Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii and former Minneapolis mayor R.T. Rybak, have broken with Wasserman Schultz, taking to Facebook to push for more debates and for eliminating the penalty for candidates who stray from the rules. Under the current arrangement, they said, "more people will feel excluded from our political process, rather than included." New Hampshire state Senator Martha Fuller Clark, vice chairwoman of her state party, also criticized Wasserman Schultz for threatening to punish candidates who take part in unsanctioned debates, and echoed Kozikowski's concern that the Democratic Party is putting itself at a strategic disadvantage. "I'm very disappointed that the chair of the DNC has been unwilling to reconsider this schedule, which she determined on her own, with her staff. She did not run it by the executive committee of the DNC, she did not run it by the members of the DNC. People have been telling her that they are unhappy with this schedule, and she has been adamant about not making any changes," Fuller Clark said. "The decision that was made by Debbie Wasserman Schultz makes it harder to showcase all the candidates," the Portsmouth Democrat said. Fuller Clark said that she has not decided which candidate she will support for president.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Stereotype posted:

I wish Trump would come speak at Pearl Harbor. No one ever comes to Hawaii :( (except gingrich)

Jim Webb was just in Hawaii. I don't know how you missed that media frenzy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sono posted:

Elected office? Taft and Hoover.

Good catch!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

DNC officials have flipped the switch from "anonymous grousing" to "open revolt" against Debbie Wasserman-Schulz's leadership at the DNC and handling of the primary.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2015/09/11/top-mass-democrat-compares-dnc-dictatorship/fbfonfjnDLQzhh3G2TdJvJ/story.html

She's the Kim Davis of the left

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GalacticAcid posted:

Jim Webb was just in Hawaii. I don't know how you missed that media frenzy.

At least Chafee has the "Metric Dude" thing going for him. What is Webb even about?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"There's too much coverage of the Republican clown show. Let's start our own clown show. I brought the floppy shoes." - a clown

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

FAUXTON posted:

Welcome to the state of naval warfare, post-1935 or so.

e: I mean for gently caress's sake a battleship would be bombed into a mile-deep grave before it got within twice the maximum gunnery range. The Missouriis a pretty cool museum but battleships were basically proven to be fossils in early WWII.

To be fair, if we designed one from scratch... railgun, range 200 miles. Nuclear power plant. Stealthy tumblehome hull. Water jet propulsion. Maybe the ability to hydroplane, I dunno.

Something that big making 80+ knots, firing on the fly, with computer guided ammo...

I mean, it's total clancychat, but it's a _hell_ of a fun concept.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

NotWearingPants posted:

I don't think this is a thing anymore. They've both been sold.

It is! Part of the condition of the Pacific Battleship Center operating a museum.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

jfc someone get this man a barbell and guide to preacher curls ASAP

wheres paul ryan, get him on the horn, give rand his digits

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Absurd Alhazred posted:

At least Chafee has the "Metric Dude" thing going for him. What is Webb even about?

Campaign funded trip around the United States, with occasional guest appearances on daytime TV shows.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

I'm still kind of skeptical, but ok.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Warcabbit posted:

To be fair, if we designed one from scratch... railgun, range 200 miles. Nuclear power plant. Stealthy tumblehome hull. Water jet propulsion. Maybe the ability to hydroplane, I dunno.

Something that big making 80+ knots, firing on the fly, with computer guided ammo...

I mean, it's total clancychat, but it's a _hell_ of a fun concept.

Your not actually really far off from the ideas the Navy has been considering for deploying a ship which's function would be using railguns (rather than just being a traditional missile/small gun platform with railguns add on afterward). The biggest issue is generating all the power and storing it in large enough quantifies for the railguns to use an a battleship sized ship would be able to do that. Of course it would basically be a glorified gun platform and a huge target, but being able to fire insanely accurate projectiles at speeds that clown out missiles (thus giving less reaction time) is cool.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

NotWearingPants posted:

I'm still kind of skeptical, but ok.

The Navy still keeps the USS Constitution seaworthy. Why throw poo poo away when you might get use out of it later?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Campaign funded trip around the United States, with occasional guest appearances on daytime TV shows.

See, that's even more blatant than Trump. He should be getting credit for that.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
2016 Presedential Primary: Gazing at a Naval Trump

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Are democrats really upset with only 4 debates? You have 5 candidates (really only 2 but we can say 5 to be fair) splitting 8 hours assuming each one is 2 hours. The GOP side has 15 since Perry dropped and Gilmore didn't qualify. Even Lincoln Chaffee will get as much or more air time than Donald Trump.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a shame the Navy's Arsenal Ship program never got off the ground after the Admiral in charge of it killed himself, they would have been awesome :smith:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

Are democrats really upset with only 4 debates? You have 5 candidates (really only 2 but we can say 5 to be fair) splitting 8 hours assuming each one is 2 hours. The GOP side has 15 since Perry dropped and Gilmore didn't qualify. Even Lincoln Chaffee will get as much or more air time than Donald Trump.

It's not the number of debates, it's the fact that they don't start until October. Compare that to April in 2008, and May in 2004.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol @ anyone who thinks that there is a chance its not gonna be hillary. her cronies infest the DNC.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Baloogan posted:

lol @ anyone who thinks that there is a chance its not gonna be hillary. her cronies infest the DNC.

I'm about to start taking names for when Bernie gives the go ahead to guillotine the likes of you. You know what, her cronies were there too in 2008. This is what infuriates me from some people. this whole certainty that she will win despite everything to the contrary.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Webb is all about "wouldn't it be great if thew Dixiecrats were a thing again? Guys? Guys??"

Weltlich posted:

It's not the number of debates, it's the fact that they don't start until October. Compare that to April in 2008, and May in 2004.

And....? Those were both frankly stupid times to start them, nearly a year out from any voting at all. The Republicans didn't even start til July this year.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

Webb is all about "wouldn't it be great if thew Dixiecrats were a thing again? Guys? Guys??"

In that case, why isn't he standing with Kim Davis? Is she not the very model of a modern Copper/Dixiecrat?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Weltlich posted:

2016 Poseidontial Primary: Gazing at a Naval Trump

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In that case, why isn't he standing with Kim Davis? Is she not the very model of a modern Copper/Dixiecrat?

I apologize for this no content, meme filled post but...

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

2016 Poseidontial Primary: Naval Gazing with Donald Trump

Dialin' it in.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

The Nastier Nate posted:

Frankly, I think the debate schedule is fine, but it's being used to attack Hillary Clinton as the establishment candidate so I'm cool with that. Also, it originates from O'Malley and he's the one doing most of the complaining, so it's like a proxy attack for Bernie.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Venom Snake posted:

Your not actually really far off from the ideas the Navy has been considering for deploying a ship which's function would be using railguns (rather than just being a traditional missile/small gun platform with railguns add on afterward). The biggest issue is generating all the power and storing it in large enough quantifies for the railguns to use an a battleship sized ship would be able to do that. Of course it would basically be a glorified gun platform and a huge target, but being able to fire insanely accurate projectiles at speeds that clown out missiles (thus giving less reaction time) is cool.

I didn't think I was. Add a UAV launcher to it for spotting, and you have something that can pretty much suppress combat within about 150 miles of shore at any location at very short notice. And, unlike missiles, artillery doesn't really fall prey to countermeasures.
Man, now I want to get my old high school trapper keeper out and start designing this and it's associated fleet. I haven't even considered the possibility of a supercavitating torpedo launcher. Is there a good thread for clancychat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Von Sloneker posted:

I like how the applause is always weaker at the end than at the beginning. I almost feel bad for the people imagining themselves to be inspired by this.

By the way, the first 10 mins of Maddow's show was devoted to explaining who that guy was who introduced Trump. I wasn't paying attention so I guess I have to look for it later. There must be some kind of story there.

You should have paid attention because it was pretty awesome. You know how Trump referred to the group who this event was fundraising for as "hundreds of thousands of veterans"? Turns out it's just one guy. One guy who might have given purposely bad legal advice to someone running for office to get them jailed.

• Locked thread