Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
We only did thank you cards for gifts. I sat down when I got home from all the wedding festivities with the spreadsheet I had of who gave what and just knocked them out. We ordered a set of plain thank you cards and I wrote one every time we received a present in the mail and mailed it out right away so I wouldn't forget.

Sweet Custom Van posted:

My caution on this is that it really depends on your guest list. If you have people who you would love to have at your wedding (or relations who would love to be there/would be problematic socially to not invite) who have children, normal 9-5 jobs, a limited budget, or, most likely, all of the above, a cruise wedding is not going to be popular.

An average wedding, even some distance away, generally requires a couple of hours of travel at most, taking maybe Friday off of work if you have a longer trip, one nice outfit, and a medium-nice gift. Still, we all recognize that it does place a substantial burden on our guests. They are using vacation time, spending money, sitting in traffic, etc, etc.

A cruise wedding requires longer travel to the point of departure, several days off of work, a very large expenditure on tickets, several nice outfits. If you have children, multiply the difficulty and expense by another factor. You're asking a lot, financially, socially, and emotionally, out of every single guest.

I'm a professional in my early thirties with no kids and plenty of money. If someone invited me on a cruise wedding, I would not go unless they were a member of my immediate family who I also liked a lot, and even then, I'd probably be irritated.

I have the same thoughts on this, but it really does depend on your guest list. I also loving hate cruises, I'd go to a destination wedding (also a giant pain in the rear end as a guest) over a cruise wedding but that's my personal opinion. I could see a cruise wedding adding up really really fast if you don't want to stick all your guests in steerage and feed them poo poo food and you could have a much nicer wedding on land for the same price or cheaper.

I would be on board (:haw:) with a dinner cruise reception. That way you're not trapping your guests on a boat for multiple days but you still get the fun cruise feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Of all the cruise weddings I've read about, half have the ceremony happen at the port and they offer a certain number of "guest" tickets where you can have close friends and family who won't be traveling still attend the ceremony. The other half happen at sea, some the captain can officiate.

Cruise weddings, like destination weddings, are a great way to have a super low guest count but be able to invite all the people everyone around you will say "you just have to invite".

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Not in the wedding market yet (just started the process of researching engagement rings) but I thought this was a pretty interesting video that breaks down some of the financial aspects of wedding planning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxEa_SpL_Fs

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
So I've finally settled on my reading, drafted the vows, put together the final crafty pieces (time capsule, seat assignment tags), and feeling good about where we are a week before the wedding.

Bridal party member drops out. Can't be in the same location as someone they just found out was going to be at the wedding. Apparently it literally makes them physically ill to even think about it. Friendship with my fiance forever tarnished. We thought up a replacement pretty quick and were able to make last minute alterations to the outfit so it will fit, and get the new name in the program. But still, Jesus H Christ, what a lame reason to abandon a commitment to a good friend. Have any of you dealt with wedding party members dropping out last minute?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Got our marriage license today, I ordered my headpiece and will be ordering my flowers probably tomorrow. After that we finalize the time line with the photographer and then we just wait. I am not looking forward to all the name changing things I have to do but it's worth it! It's taking all the restraint in the world to not tell the management company to give us a new buzzer name plate asap.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

So I've finally settled on my reading, drafted the vows, put together the final crafty pieces (time capsule, seat assignment tags), and feeling good about where we are a week before the wedding.

Bridal party member drops out. Can't be in the same location as someone they just found out was going to be at the wedding. Apparently it literally makes them physically ill to even think about it. Friendship with my fiance forever tarnished. We thought up a replacement pretty quick and were able to make last minute alterations to the outfit so it will fit, and get the new name in the program. But still, Jesus H Christ, what a lame reason to abandon a commitment to a good friend. Have any of you dealt with wedding party members dropping out last minute?

One of our groomsmen flaked out on us a few months out from the wedding. The husband kept putting off planning a bachelor party, decided on a trip to Medieval Times and drinking at another groomsman's house about a week and a half out. This was (understandably) too short notice for flake-groomsman to take the whole weekend off work and then drive five hours each way. Husband mentioned tux rentals while they were on the phone and flake-groomsman hemmed and hawed about finding time to get fitted between class and school, and then eventually just opted out of being a groomsman with the assertion that he "might" be able to attend the wedding as a guest.

We'd had the date set for over a year, but planning to attend was just too much trouble. Also, going to a tux rental place for twenty minutes to get measured would've cut into his WOW (excuse me "school") time too much.

I'm still a little annoyed about it, but honestly it's kind of par for the course where flake-groomsman is concerned. We just had uneven numbers and the bridesmaids and groomsmen walked out single-file, staggered instead of arm-in-arm. None of the guests noticed, no one lost a suit-deposit, and flake-groomsman showed up at the last minute without any notice and appeared to have a great time.

Ultimately, if you decide her dropping out isn't a big deal, that's the end of it. You've found a fix, the wedding shall continue and no one need be the wiser. Also, there's no need to bring it up while everyone's drunk at the reception; that's just asking for drama.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Sweet Custom Van posted:

My caution on this is that it really depends on your guest list. If you have people who you would love to have at your wedding (or relations who would love to be there/would be problematic socially to not invite) who have children, normal 9-5 jobs, a limited budget, or, most likely, all of the above, a cruise wedding is not going to be popular.

An average wedding, even some distance away, generally requires a couple of hours of travel at most, taking maybe Friday off of work if you have a longer trip, one nice outfit, and a medium-nice gift. Still, we all recognize that it does place a substantial burden on our guests. They are using vacation time, spending money, sitting in traffic, etc, etc.

A cruise wedding requires longer travel to the point of departure, several days off of work, a very large expenditure on tickets, several nice outfits. If you have children, multiply the difficulty and expense by another factor. You're asking a lot, financially, socially, and emotionally, out of every single guest.

I'm a professional in my early thirties with no kids and plenty of money. If someone invited me on a cruise wedding, I would not go unless they were a member of my immediate family who I also liked a lot, and even then, I'd probably be irritated.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have the same thoughts on this, but it really does depend on your guest list. I also loving hate cruises, I'd go to a destination wedding (also a giant pain in the rear end as a guest) over a cruise wedding but that's my personal opinion. I could see a cruise wedding adding up really really fast if you don't want to stick all your guests in steerage and feed them poo poo food and you could have a much nicer wedding on land for the same price or cheaper.

I would be on board (:haw:) with a dinner cruise reception. That way you're not trapping your guests on a boat for multiple days but you still get the fun cruise feeling.

We have already discussed this with the few people that we would invite, and they all have said they love the idea. We live in Florida, so there are many nearby cruise ports, accessing one isn't a problem. Pretty much all of our friends (including the handful on the potential invite list) go on cruises regularly, so they're familiar with the whole thing. We would also probably pick a short cruise and our possible date(s) would be on a weekend, so less time off of work. I would be completely fine with people not being able to attend because of money or time issues, and I would definitely let them know that up front. I do appreciate the both of you pointing out all of those details though. I was more asking for personal experiences with it to see if it would be worth it, or if we should decide on something else. :)

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

My fiance has two bridesmaids that haven't been able to get their poo poo together throughout the whole process and I am legit nervous they are going to gently caress us over.

Chessna
Dec 24, 2008

Hi_Bears posted:

Does being horrifically shy worry you at all about the actual wedding? We don't like being in the center of attention so we felt super uncomfortable during first dance, for example. We also know a bride who fainted during the ceremony because of how nervous/shy she is.

We're planning on having a semi-short ceremony and using our extroverted friends to do readings/etc. I'm also having my brother be the officiant and my sister is the MOH so I'll be surrounded by people (including my fiance) that calm me down. For the first dance, we're going to only have it be us for like 30 seconds then invite everyone else to dance. Neither of us like being the center of attention so we wouldn't enjoy dancing to an entire song with everyone watching. Also, champagne will be consumed while I'm getting ready!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The venue we like includes 8 hours with our rental fee, including setup and breakdown (so about 5 hours for the ceremony and reception). For $500 more, we could either have one extra hour at a Sunday wedding or an 8 hour event on a Saturday. How would our money be best spent?

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

zakharov posted:

The venue we like includes 8 hours with our rental fee, including setup and breakdown (so about 5 hours for the ceremony and reception). For $500 more, we could either have one extra hour at a Sunday wedding or an 8 hour event on a Saturday. How would our money be best spent?

I think 5 hours for ceremony and reception is quite standard, and imo, sufficient. If you are a party all night type, organize an after party at your hotel bar, or another bar nearby. Most of the older folk will want to go home before the 5 hours are up, and you yourself might be pretty tired since your day will have been longer than 8 hours between getting ready, taking tons of pictures, etc.

I would DEFINITELY spend the $500 on booking a Saturday. This makes it much easier on your guests to plan travel around your wedding. A Sunday wedding is basically asking guests to take Monday off, or leave early (in which case, you buying an extra hour is moot anyway). A Saturday wedding also lets you do Sunday brunch with your guests or wedding party, which is a nice way to decompress from the excitement of the night before, and extend the celebration a little longer.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Porkchop Express posted:

My fiance has two bridesmaids that haven't been able to get their poo poo together throughout the whole process and I am legit nervous they are going to gently caress us over.

This right here is why when I was choosing my side of the wedding party I intentionally didn't pick 2-3 guys. I approached everyone being really frank about there being a cost, a time investment and probably some stress day of. I told people only accept if they were going to get it done and not complain. Ironically, 2 of the guys I didn't pick complained to me about how I didn't pick them even though I knew them for over 15 years, and then immediately made snarky remarks about how I made my guys pay to rent their tuxes instead of paying for it.

Having people on your side that could flake or screw you over is just added stress you don't need. Here's to hoping those 2 ladies get their poo poo together and don't gently caress you guys over.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

AlliedBiscuit posted:

My wedding had my parents in the same place and the same time for the first time in over a decade, and that was making me more nervous than actually getting married. Granted, it was my wedding so there was no escaping it, but I was having small panic attacks before the ceremony over it. I recognize that they would never do anything to make a scene, but I wasn't having a rational reaction to the situation and I knew it. The day is already fairly emotional, and being the bride/groom you ostensibly have your party there to help you out in whatever way they can, but as a member of the party that might have been difficult for everyone to deal with if they really couldn't physically stand to be in the same place as this other person. Like someone else said, if the situation was resolved then there isn't much reason to keep thinking about it.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

OssiansFolly posted:

This right here is why when I was choosing my side of the wedding party I intentionally didn't pick 2-3 guys. I approached everyone being really frank about there being a cost, a time investment and probably some stress day of. I told people only accept if they were going to get it done and not complain. Ironically, 2 of the guys I didn't pick complained to me about how I didn't pick them even though I knew them for over 15 years, and then immediately made snarky remarks about how I made my guys pay to rent their tuxes instead of paying for it.

Having people on your side that could flake or screw you over is just added stress you don't need. Here's to hoping those 2 ladies get their poo poo together and don't gently caress you guys over.

Yeah we will see how it goes, they have their dresses and whatnot, but their time management skills are not the best, I am worried they will be late to the reversal, which we can work around. I just hope they aren't late for the day of.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
One of my groomsmen told me the week of my wedding that if he didn't get offered a job after an interview he was doing that day, he couldn't afford to fly out for our wedding (he and his wife had just moved halfway across the country and he was struggling to find work), but fortunately he did get the offer. Less dire was that one of my wife's bridesmaids had the brilliant idea of taking the train from where she lived to our wedding on the day of the wedding, with a window of error of only a couple of hours (and on a train line notorious for delays). Again, that fortunately worked out.

In the back of our minds though, we knew that these two might have been problems, so I made sure my dad had a matching tuxedo in case he had to pinch-hit, and likewise my wife made sure her mom had the same color dress as her bridesmaids. Though if they both hadn't been able to make it we actually would have been fine! :haw:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

zakharov posted:

Don't forget that there may be other impacts of having a longer reception. Like caterers, photographers, and videographers often charge extra if it's a longer wedding than whatever their standard is.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

To the person asking about Copyright stuff regarding videos...

New ruling regarding Fair Use

Not sure this solves that problem, but it seems like it would really make it a stupid thing to pursue for a music management company.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Thanks to all for replying to my first question.

On a 1-10 scale, how dumb would I be to go with a caterer sight unseen? Our venue is holding a date for 10 days before we have to send the deposit. They have an exclusive list of caterers, and one of them offers great value (for NYC anyway) and has rave reviews all over the place that don't seem to be written by robots. However, we may not be able to get down for a tasting before the 10 day window is up. Would I be making a huge mistake?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

zakharov posted:

On a 1-10 scale, how dumb would I be to go with a caterer sight unseen? Our venue is holding a date for 10 days before we have to send the deposit. They have an exclusive list of caterers, and one of them offers great value (for NYC anyway) and has rave reviews all over the place that don't seem to be written by robots. However, we may not be able to get down for a tasting before the 10 day window is up. Would I be making a huge mistake?

My wife and I thought catering was a big priority, but our venue and setting a date were probably the biggest priority. So if you really like the venue and the date, I'd book the venue first and then do the tasting. If it turns out that the value caterer sucks, then at least you have other options even if they cost more, or you can just say gently caress it and go with food you aren't crazy about. Honestly you probably won't have much time to sit and relax to enjoy your meal, so good food is more important for the guests than it was for us.

But I would never book a caterer before doing a tasting.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

zakharov posted:

I don't think it's dumb. I get the sense that a lot of NYC venues don't let you taste the food until after you've booked it. I think the good reviews matter a lot in this case. (And to be honest, people don't have high expectations for wedding food so even if it ends up being mediocre, nobody will fault you for it, or remember it.)

For us, we booked the venue and then attended the tasting there 9 months later. The food was kind of whatever, and we only got to taste two entrees, even though we could choose from a list of 10 or so. For the actual wedding though, everyone raved about the food. The venue has an exclusive caterer so we didn't get to shop around, but the reviews were good, and it was a total nonissue for us to choose it sight unseen.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

We have to get the food through our venue, we booked it in December of 2013 and just did the tasting about a month a go. I figures it would be ok because their restaurant is who caters the events and the food was loving delicious, if its even half as good as the food we got during the tasting it will still be better than any wedding food I have ever had.

Now if only the small lake behind that sits behind the gazebo thing we are getting married at wasn't bone loving dry. :smith:

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

zakharov posted:

Who is the caterer?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Psychobabble posted:

Who is the caterer?

Bon Soir.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

zakharov posted:

Bon Soir.

I booked them, taste unseen. I know everyone says it, but I had the best food at a wedding. Ever. I keep trying to think up parties so they can cater it. Do it.

(Don't listen to Jeff when he says he'll be your "day of" person. He sucks. But his staff is amazing and the food is even better.)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Thank you!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Does anyone have advice for where I can get a large board printed up for a reasonable price? I got an estimate from Kinkos and they wanted like $75 to print up a largely text based board with our seating list on it.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

Does anyone have advice for where I can get a large board printed up for a reasonable price? I got an estimate from Kinkos and they wanted like $75 to print up a largely text based board with our seating list on it.

I've had great experiences with http://www.nextdayflyers.com/
Used them to print our menus and programs - cheap and quick. You can use them to print a poster, and maybe you can add some cardboard backing to it yourself for sturdiness? Their customer service is pretty good so you can get a custom quote too.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Hi_Bears posted:

I've had great experiences with http://www.nextdayflyers.com/
Used them to print our menus and programs - cheap and quick. You can use them to print a poster, and maybe you can add some cardboard backing to it yourself for sturdiness? Their customer service is pretty good so you can get a custom quote too.

They have a minimum 100 for posters. :(

That is a pretty good price for menus though...

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

It seems like "short run posters" have minimum of 1 only. Not as cheap but maybe better than Kinkos, depending on how big you want it.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

You can save some of the money having Kinkos print it as a poster, not a board, and then popping it in appropriately sized frame (or mounting it to foamcore with spray adhesive yourself, if you're confident with that process). You're maybe going to save $20, though, and if you screw up the spray adhesive thing you've got to start all over with a new print. Custom printing with a 3 day turn around is just expensive. If you don't want to pay the $75, question whether you really need your seating chart professionally printed at all.

Personally, we made seating cards out of cardstock, embossed and hand-lettered them, and then attached them to a miniature "clothesline" we'd created inside a Goodwill picture frame with tiny clothespins. Guests found their card, carried it to their table, and it all progressed smoothly.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

We're very close to the capacity of our preferred venue (haven't picked out a place for sure yet). I'm a dude, and an engineer, and fulfill that stereotype reasonably well, so wedding etiquette is pretty foreign to me. Two questions:

1) How bad of an idea is it to send more invitations than the space can hold? We are sending some invitations to people that very likely won't come, but anything is possible.

2) Is it in bad taste to put something like "We are strictly limited in attendance by our venue, so please RSVP promptly." Typing it out, that seems like bad taste (and based on stories of RSVP return rates in this thread, probably ineffective) but it sure would be useful.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

We're very close to the capacity of our preferred venue (haven't picked out a place for sure yet). I'm a dude, and an engineer, and fulfill that stereotype reasonably well, so wedding etiquette is pretty foreign to me. Two questions:

1) How bad of an idea is it to send more invitations than the space can hold? We are sending some invitations to people that very likely won't come, but anything is possible.

2) Is it in bad taste to put something like "We are strictly limited in attendance by our venue, so please RSVP promptly." Typing it out, that seems like bad taste (and based on stories of RSVP return rates in this thread, probably ineffective) but it sure would be useful.

On average, you're likely to get 20% declines so sending out more invites than your space will hold is usually not a problem. However, if you are paranoid, you can make an A-list an B-list and send out the A-list early, with an early RSVP deadline, then send out your B-list invites after the A-listers have responded.

As for 2) I think it is both bad taste and useless. Some people are just bad at RSVPing, and that line is not going to motivate them. Plus, what exactly is the message you are sending? "If you want to come to our wedding, it's first come, first served"?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

1) Bad idea, you can always invite extra people after first rsvps are back if you have people who you'd like to be there but you couldn't quite fit in first time around. I know there's sometimes awkwardness about having a 'b list' but I see it as quite practical. And less awkward than having to uninvite someone because you don't have space.

2) Yes and it won't make any difference. I'd put an rsvp day of a couple of weeks at least before you really need to know, and resign yourself to some chasing.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

OssiansFolly posted:

I ordered a "lawn sign" from Vistaprint for our seating chart. It was the same price as a poster but I didn't even have to frame it to have it stand on the easel. Plus they almost always have some sort of promo code to get things discounted.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sweet Custom Van posted:

(or mounting it to foamcore with spray adhesive yourself, if you're confident with that process).

I thought I was confident in this, and now I have a crooked map (which is a display background for our wedding so it might still be ok.) So, watch out!

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Everything is looking great for my wedding this weekend! Well, other than the temperature hitting 94 degrees during our entirely outdoor wedding and reception. Oof. That tux is going to be rank by the end of the night.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Grumpwagon posted:

1) Do not ever do this. You'll likely end up under capacity but under no circumstances do you want to accidentally be over capacity because you'll have to un-invite people and that could be awkward at best and ruin relationships at worst.

2) Don't do this either. That's what the RSVP deadline is for. If you're worried about people being late just set your deadline a few weeks sooner than you actually need them.

OssiansFolly posted:

We got ours printed up on foam core at FedEx Office and I don't remember it being that expensive, but it was one of those last minute "oh poo poo" things so I was more concerned about getting it done than what it cost.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I ordered a "lawn sign" from Vistaprint for our seating chart. It was the same price as a poster but I didn't even have to frame it to have it stand on the easel. Plus they almost always have some sort of promo code to get things discounted.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

1) Do not ever do this. You'll likely end up under capacity but under no circumstances do you want to accidentally be over capacity because you'll have to un-invite people and that could be awkward at best and ruin relationships at worst.

2) Don't do this either. That's what the RSVP deadline is for. If you're worried about people being late just set your deadline a few weeks sooner than you actually need them.

We got ours printed up on foam core at FedEx Office and I don't remember it being that expensive, but it was one of those last minute "oh poo poo" things so I was more concerned about getting it done than what it cost.

Both great ideas! I will have to see which one is cheaper and fastest to get.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I got married in Black Rock City, NV on Sept 1st. it was the most beautiful thing I've ever been apart of.

I've always been nontraditional. It was simple and elegant. Us, our friends, a wedding cake (baked on site), and champagne. No $1000 budget for invitations (story I heard recently on NPR) or fighting over what types of tablecloths to use. There was no money, commodities, or old standing traditions. It was a story of two people celebrating their love. There were tears of joy, hugs of friendship, and vows of love.

I wouldn't have had it any other way.

edit: some more http://imgur.com/a/T0tve

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

No family?