Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories (Hulu Plus) is loving unnerving.

It really is. I loved how odd the ending to the John C. Reilly episode was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

mysterious frankie posted:

I hadn't watched it in forever and remembered the cgi looking fine, but when I watched it this weekend I was struck by how bad it looked. Much worse than I remembered it being. Still a great movie, and the monster interludes actually break up the dire atmosphere.

Stephen King said it's the only adaptation of his work where he liked their ending better than his own. I kind of agree. The film ending is just brutal.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

fishtobaskets posted:

Stephen King said it's the only adaptation of his work where he liked their ending better than his own. I kind of agree. The film ending is just brutal.

Agreed. I love The Mist for a lot of reasons but the ending is just awesomely brutal. I don't like reading King; I don't think I've ever made it through one of his books. How does the ending of the movie differ from the book?

I only watched the first 20 and last 20 minutes of These Final Hours because I felt like it was going to be pretty standard fare in the middle. Did I miss anything special? I liked what I saw of it.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

pahuyuth posted:

Agreed. I love The Mist for a lot of reasons but the ending is just awesomely brutal. I don't like reading King; I don't think I've ever made it through one of his books. How does the ending of the movie differ from the book?

I only watched the first 20 and last 20 minutes of These Final Hours because I felt like it was going to be pretty standard fare in the middle. Did I miss anything special? I liked what I saw of it.

In the book, they have that eerie scene with the gargantuan beast crossing the road, they're filled with despair, and then suddenly the car radio picks up someone saying "Hartford.... Hope..." implying that they are filled with hope, and the story ends. No tragic Shakespearan timing. No bitterly ironic shot of the woman from the opening reuniting with her kids, no nothing.

Having said that, I still found the book ending memorable, and those two words are etched into my brain almost 25 years after my first & only reading of the story.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 15, 2015

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

mysterious frankie posted:

The Mist is the best because all the pessimistic commentary on humanity is occasionally interrupted by some really spotty cgi and it makes me laugh when I see it and then I feel better. I'm sitting there all like "Man, I'm bummed out that that just happened. Heck, I'm sort of bummed that someone who isn't a 15 year old felt bad enough about people to write this. Oh wait, did that vagina tentacle from a 1998 CGI adventure game just kill a bag boy? haha. Oh dear, oh lord, alright." It is on Amazon Prime and I like it.

There is a black and white version which Darabont wanted to use originally. It makes the CGI far more tolerable and gives the movie a much more depressing feel than it already has

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

fishtobaskets posted:

In the book, they have that eerie scene with the gargantuan beast crossing the road, they're filled with despair, and then suddenly the car radio picks up someone saying "Hartford.... Hope..." implying that they are filled with hope, and the story ends. No tragic Shakespearan timing. No bitterly ironic shot of the woman from the opening reuniting with her kids, no nothing.

Having said that, I still found the book ending memorable, and those two words are etched into my brain almost 25 years after my first & only reading of the story.

Even so its still a pretty depressing ending because right before that, in a scene that was shot but deleted from the film, the father and son get back to their house, only to find it completely taken over by I think those spider things, and they can't even safely get close enough to be certain the wife/mother died there. They just have to assume she's dead and drive on

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Basebf555 posted:

Even so its still a pretty depressing ending because right before that, in a scene that was shot but deleted from the film, the father and son get back to their house, only to find it completely taken over by I think those spider things, and they can't even safely get close enough to be certain the wife/mother died there. They just have to assume she's dead and drive on

They had that scene in the version I saw on Prime. They drove up, saw the house, the dad muttered something about how he should have fixed the wall, then off they went on their magical misery tour.

Watrick posted:

There is a black and white version which Darabont wanted to use originally. It makes the CGI far more tolerable and gives the movie a much more depressing feel than it already has

That could have really worked. Even though I goofed on it, I didn't mind the cgi. It disrupts the tone of the film for me, but given the film is all about unbridled misanthropy, I didn't mind.

fishtobaskets posted:

The end was perfect and awful, much like the rest of the movie. I appreciated it differently eight years down the line. It's so unpleasant from beginning to end. Even the "good guy" squad are a bunch of dingdongs who can't make a correct decision for themselves or others to literally save their lives.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just got the Fandor two week trial so I could watch Tourist Trap. Does anyone have any favorite bizarre and entertaining films on the service that they'd recommend? Definitely going to watch the Video Nasties doc tonight but don't know where to start otherwise.

pahuyuth posted:

I love how dark the ending of The Mist goes, but it feels like a total misfire to me. The most terrifying thing that could have happened in that film is that the crazy fundamentalist woman was right and it was the end times and her horrifying interpretation of the Bible and humanity was righteous. I get that it's not the ending they were going for, but it was the ending I was anticipating and was disappointed by not getting.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 15, 2015

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Watch The Dead Lands if you want to see two thirsty Maori drinking blood from their friend's jugular. Better yet, just watch The Dead Lands.

Agreed. The fight scenes are great and it's an incredibly brutal movie. So much blunt force trauma.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

fishtobaskets posted:

Yeah I remember watching it after reading the story and was like whoa. They really did a good job with that.

feedmyleg posted:

Just got the Fandor two week trial so I could watch Tourist Trap. Does anyone have any favorite bizarre and entertaining films on the service that they'd recommend? Definitely going to watch the Video Nasties doc tonight but don't know where to start otherwise.
I've kept the service around because they seem to get some odd stuff on there that I'll occasionally check out. Off the top of my head, I know they have some frank henenlotter films if you're into horror stuff, as well as some guy maddin if you like kinda offbeat stuff. Six String Samurai which was mentioned a few pages back is also good. There's also some random shorts I've enjoyed that have come up from searching, and they also seem to have a decent selection of exploitation stuff from the 70s (as well as a lot of foreign films).

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 15, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

feedmyleg posted:

I love how dark the ending of The Mist goes, but it feels like a total misfire to me. The most terrifying thing that could have happened in that film is that the crazy fundamentalist woman was right and it was the end times and her horrifying interpretation of the Bible and humanity was righteous. I get that it's not the ending they were going for, but it was the ending I was anticipating and was disappointed by not getting.

I thought she did get it right because she said to sacrifice the group and the Mist went away after he did.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
It would be less terrifying if there were some kind of higher power hinted at. Far preferable to get crushed under the thumb of a vengeful god than to know the reason you're dying is that your race can't stand to be under duress in the same space together for too long without fomenting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

I thought she did get it right because she said to sacrifice the group and the Mist went away after he did.

That's a pretty popular fan theory but it doesn't really hold water. She says a lot of poo poo over the course of the movie, the fact that the military shows up right at the end just means things aren't completely hosed yet, the mist doesn't actually go away. Also she never predicted getting shot in the face.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

hemale in pain posted:

In a completely unrelated note The Dead Lands was cool. It's fun to watch a bunch of almost naked people murder each other and they really managed to make the dude playing the warrior character intimidating as hell.

A quick google tells me he was the guy who played the Orc commander in the fellowship too.
Came in to post about this movie, it's definitely worth a watch if you like movies about people killing each other with hand weapons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I could do with some Fandor recommendations too. I pay for the fuckin' thing but I keep forgetting to check it out in any real depth.

But yeah Six String Samurai is on there and so is the amazing Richard Hell movie Blank Generation

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Wow, I'm pretty surprised people liked the way the movie ended. All it was missing was sadtrombone.wav to make it ultimate corny. The ambiguity of the story is way better imo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't like the way the movie of The Mist ended, but not enough to really argue about it. :shrug:

I mean it was alright.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I like endings that are a big "gently caress you" to the audience. I also enjoyed Funny Games

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Wow, I'm pretty surprised people liked the way the movie ended. All it was missing was sadtrombone.wav to make it ultimate corny. The ambiguity of the story is way better imo.

That ending was an eye-roller for me also. It's corny in a way that's like those "Ha! The monster isn't really dead!" stinger endings. I really liked The Mist and it had me wanting to know more about the mist-erious otherworld and its denizens. Which I know wasn't the point of the story, but whatever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

regulargonzalez posted:

Actually isn't Dead Can Dance played over the scene? That's like sadtrombone.wav for the New Yorker set. Like if you hear something on NPR that's just too sad for you to deal with you turn off the radio, put down your knitting, and smoke a clove cigarette while listening to Dead Can Dance and staring off into space. I mean the void.

I mean yeah. I don't hate The Mist (2007) or anything but it lays it on a little thick, particularly at the end. And as a general rule I think that the more overwrought and melodramatic a dramatic situation `naturally' is the less the film (or whatever) should be leaning on the audience with all the music cues and colour grading and whatever the gently caress. I see an ending constructed the way Darabont put together the last couple minutes of The Mist and I feel like he's got no confidence in either the material's ability to stand on its own, or in me as an audience.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I liked the end because it made it feel like a big episode of Twilight Zone. The Mist even with all of it's problems is still one of my favorite horror movies ever.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

coyo7e posted:

Came in to post about this movie, it's definitely worth a watch if you like movies about people killing each other with hand weapons.

It is also very cool to see a culture you aren't normally exposed to. I know gently caress all about the Maori, so I really liked seeing a rather unique martial history. This movie is kind of what I hoped for from Apocalypto (which is cool in different ways, I guess).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The Mist is great, but I prefer the novella. It just makes the prefect 100 page story.

Chichevache posted:

It is also very cool to see a culture you aren't normally exposed to. I know gently caress all about the Maori, so I really liked seeing a rather unique martial history. This movie is kind of what I hoped for from Apocalypto (which is cool in different ways, I guess).

I loved Apocalypto, and I think it gets a bad rap due Mel Gibson getting outed as a loony. Shame, because I thought he was becoming quite an interesting director.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nate fisher posted:

The Mist is great, but I prefer the novella. It just makes the prefect 100 page story.

I loved Apocalypto, and I think it gets a bad rap due Mel Gibson getting outed as a loony. Shame, because I thought he was becoming quite an interesting director.

I loved it too! I just felt like The Dead Lands was the movie Apocalypto's detractors would have liked to see.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

nate fisher posted:

I like The Mist: The 3D Audioplay.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

quote:

The Mist

Speaking of: Stephen King’s ‘The Mist’ in the Works as TV Series

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chichevache posted:

I loved it too! I just felt like The Dead Lands was the movie Apocalypto's detractors would have liked to see.

What do you mean?

SubG posted:

Actually isn't Dead Can Dance played over the scene? That's like sadtrombone.wav for the New Yorker set. Like if you hear something on NPR that's just too sad for you to deal with you turn off the radio, put down your knitting, and smoke a clove cigarette while listening to Dead Can Dance and staring off into space. I mean the void.

I mean yeah. I don't hate The Mist (2007) or anything but it lays it on a little thick, particularly at the end. And as a general rule I think that the more overwrought and melodramatic a dramatic situation `naturally' is the less the film (or whatever) should be leaning on the audience with all the music cues and colour grading and whatever the gently caress. I see an ending constructed the way Darabont put together the last couple minutes of The Mist and I feel like he's got no confidence in either the material's ability to stand on its own, or in me as an audience.

I actually felt like it really undercut the pathos, because it's so self-consciously overwrought, and you've got the hazmat suited flamethrower guys looking at him like, what's with this guy? I thought it was kind of funny.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So it's the walking dead except with lots of fog, and like, tentacles or something?

I don't really know that I want to find out why there was a dinosaur or some poo poo at the end of the movie (iirc).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What do you mean "why"? The entire movie was about extra-dimensional creatures coming through to earth. At the end of the movie you see an exceptionally large one. Pretty self explanatory.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Eh, it kind of took away the entire experience. It was just "here there be dragons *roll credits*" and it felt like the jurassic park water-glass scene way too much, for me. It felt like the writer had given up and was like "welp, dunno where to go from here - big boss monster and fade out!"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

feedmyleg posted:

I'm still convinced that it would be considered GOAT if they would have rolled credits when the dad went screaming into the fog begging for death. Just the mist and his off screen unhinged screaming as credits roll for a bit until before doing the ending as is kinda like the remake of Dawn Of The Dead. Most of the complaints I hear about that movie is how sudden the fog lifts

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 17, 2015

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

coyo7e posted:

Eh, it kind of took away the entire experience. It was just "here there be dragons *roll credits*" and it felt like the jurassic park water-glass scene way too much, for me. It felt like the writer had given up and was like "welp, dunno where to go from here - big boss monster and fade out!"

But the giant monster was the best scene in the movie!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I watched Hombre, and it is pretty decent little western. Paul Newman plays either a half-white half-native or a white man raised by natives, I'm not sure the movie itself is a little vague about this, that goes by several different names one of which is the titular Hombre. His adopted white father dies and leaves him a boarding house which he decides to sell. He hops on literally the last stagecoach out of town to go finalize the deal and is shunned by the other passengers once they discover how he was raised. The stagecoach is eventually robbed and they're left in the desert with only Hombre to help them survive with a few twists and turns along the way.

Once it gets going it's actually a fairly small scale movie with fewer than ten characters and consists largely of the main character negotiating with the bandits from across the hills since neither side really feels like getting shot. It has some pretty memorable lines and exchanges in it, and a wry sense of humor that runs through most of it. Paul Newman seems to just barely gives a drat about the people he's trying to save for most of the movie which results in some amusing dialogue between him and the bandits.

If you enjoy westerns I recommend it. If you're not into them I don't know if this would be the one to change your mind, but it does have Paul Newman acting too drat cool for school which is a pretty solid reason to watch anything I think.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

DeimosRising posted:

What do you mean?

I felt like a lot of people criticized Apocalypto for being exploitative and condescending towards pre-Columbian people. That it spent too much time focusing on parts of the culture that modern viewers would consider barbaric. I don't agree with them and I think that view is held mainly because Gibson directed it, but it does exist.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I am continually amazed how bad of a job Netflix does in recommending me movies. It thinks I'll give this movie five stars, yet the Recommended section is filled with movies I've already seen and whatever happens to be the highest budget movies they currently have rights to. :argh:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I watched Hombre,

I'm not sure if you realize this, but Hombre (the story) was written by Elmore Leonard, the guy who wrote Out of Sight,Jackie Brown, Get Shorty and the book Justified was based on. He got his start doing westerns. 3:10 to Yuma is one of his, as are Valdez is coming and Joe Kidd, all of which are pretty good to great.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

coyo7e posted:

You mean Stephen King since that's directly from the novella that was published in 1980?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've heard a lot of different opinions about The Mist but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they didn't like the gigantic monster lumbering around at the end. That, along with the huge crab thing in the parking lot, really drive home the "this isn't out planet anymore" feeling that builds throughout the movie.

The humans are getting totally slaughtered by what ends up just being the bottom feeders of the food chain. The more dominant species are so beyond us that we're no more than ants to them, that's whats scary/awe inspiring about those scenes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You mean Stephen King since that's directly from the novella that was published in 1980?
Spoiler: Stephen King often takes the laziest way out of his writing. It's also exactly the ending you'd expect if you're familiar with a large body of his work.

The ending of The Mist sure ain't no Survivor Type (except it is, almost exactly the same..) "Shocking" reveal, fade to credits, maybe have a memorable catchphrase as it closes..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wait, what ending are you talking about?