Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Apparently Akron has been kicking around the idea of a name change to the entire university. On the one hand, adding "the" to the name is super dumb, but on the other it would drive OSU fans crazy, which I 100% support. Kinda torn.

Solid plan. Is there anyone in the country who thinks good things when they hear "Akron"? I wouldn't want to go to Shithole City University either.

Like, imagine if Texas Tech were the University of Lubbock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Solid plan. Is there anyone in the country who thinks good things when they hear "Akron"? I wouldn't want to go to Shithole City University either.

Like, imagine if Texas Tech were the University of Lubbock.

Y'know, I honestly had not thought of that at all, and you're right

I mean, it doesn't sound a ton better, but having Akron in the name doesn't exactly bring a lot of great connotations these days.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

What's amazing is that there's even more stories out there, those were just the best ones that could push the story along and were confirmed by multiple people involved. Brandon is truly an incredible jackass, and it continued after he left Michigan, by having various Detroit-area business writers bash the university in ghostwritten newspaper columns over how much of a genius Brandon is and how abused he was by all the mean people at Michigan. What a jackass.

The book was the first I'd heard of the gigantic macaroni noodle thing and I was howling with laughter for like 15 minutes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

DJExile posted:

Apparently Akron has been kicking around the idea of a name change to the entire university. On the one hand, adding "the" to the name is super dumb, but on the other it would drive OSU fans crazy, which I 100% support. Kinda torn.

This sounds kind of dumb and I really really hope they do it.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Ohio Tech sounds way better than Akron to be honest.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Korranus posted:

Ohio Tech sounds way better than Akron to be honest.

If they made it Ohio University of Technology we could all get shirts that just say Get OUT.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
meanwhile I think we've mostly killed off WVU Tech, which will shortly become WVU-Beckley, god speed you lovely campus.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
They should also move the campus out of Akron while they're at it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

They should also move the campus out of Akron while they're at it.

Move it right into the Cuyahoga.

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

R.D. Mangles posted:

The new Texas AD had better deal with high-powered Texas donor Joe Jamail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIxmrvbMeKc

:allears: I wish I could have a deposition as entertaining as this. It never gets old.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scrapez posted:

Apparently, Mitchell is now reinstated? Very odd. Wonder what that was all about?

We need him.

Yeah he was reinstated like 10 minutes after I posted that. I think his suspension lasted all of maybe 48 hours, if that.

It's hard to say whether or not they "need" him because he's never played a minute of running back in an actual game before (he was a WR until they let him play Melvin Gordon on the scout team and he impressed everyone), but more bodies definitely doesn't hurt. And amusingly he's like the second biggest actual running back on the team.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Is Purdue as bad as they've been in recent years, or have they improved a bit? I can't tell whether Beamer is blowing coach-smoke up our rear end about their offense being big and having some talent.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

mdemone posted:

Is Purdue as bad as they've been in recent years, or have they improved a bit? I can't tell whether Beamer is blowing coach-smoke up our rear end about their offense being big and having some talent.

They hung in with Marshall, who is down Rakeem Cato but that definitely couldn't have happened last year

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MourningView posted:

Yeah he was reinstated like 10 minutes after I posted that. I think his suspension lasted all of maybe 48 hours, if that.

It's hard to say whether or not they "need" him because he's never played a minute of running back in an actual game before (he was a WR until they let him play Melvin Gordon on the scout team and he impressed everyone), but more bodies definitely doesn't hurt. And amusingly he's like the second biggest actual running back on the team.

Yeah, I just mean we need him in case we need him. With Iowa, and AIRBHG, I'm sure we will at some point. :negative: Just keep Beathard healthy, that would be a season killer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're better than last year (Appleby is a pretty decent upgrade at QB, I think) but still pretty bad.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mdemone posted:

that av is great

Purdue is better, but it's hard to be worse than they've been lately.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Name it after some rich family. Like Tulane or Ball State

Ball State is a much cooler school name than University of Muncie

Or better yet name it after LeBron

LBJU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Highschool, but I think postworthy:

A Texas highschool grounds keeping team accidentally put weed killer instead of fertilizer on their field and the results are pretty great.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I like the school's quote on the issue. "Right now the field is in no worse condition than many fields are later on in the season. It doesn't look great but there is grass there. We're certainly not going to win any grass beauty pageants or anything."

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSAXLayoMKI&t=10s

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

DJExile posted:

that av is great

Purdue is better, but it's hard to be worse than they've been lately.

Yeah, in 13 and 14 they had one(!) conference win total. So it's like going from raging tire fire to uhh raging tire fire with a sprinkler nearby.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Spintzel posted:

Ball State

Ball State is a much cooler school name than University of Muncie

CHIRP CHIRP

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahaha oh god that's brutal

E: It's in illinois, not texas

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 16, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Was the groundskeeper in this story Christopher Lloyd?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

News: Cal teasin' some new helmets

Views: yoooooooooo

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
All matte helmets everywhere always.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

mdemone posted:

I watched a good chunk of that Marshall game, and their offense felt super super streaky. Either they lucked into a big play or Appleby was throwing INTs and they're running up the gut for nothing.

I feel like we shouldn't be very concerned, but given how Beamer teams rarely just walk all over lesser teams for some reason I guess they could pull the upset. Just seems like the Dline will feast again, and our corners are definitely better than Marshalls so I can see a few INTs coming our way as well.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DJExile posted:

News: Cal teasin' some new helmets

Views: yoooooooooo

honk honk fuckin nice

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Strange statistical anomaly: Kent State held their opponent, Delaware State, to -33 total yards with a final stat line of 3-10 passing for 5 yards and 28 rushes for -38 yards. Delaware state returned two turnovers for TD's, though, giving a final score of 45-13.

Bonus: the 45th point was scored by a female kicker.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

News: Sister of one of the UGA assistant coaches was found shot dead in her home.

Views: :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man :(

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Scarf posted:

If they made it Ohio University of Technology we could all get shirts that just say Get OUT.

THE Ohio State Technical University. The THE is important.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Roll dang tide, Pawl.

(edit: :smith:)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MindlessHavok posted:

THE Ohio State Technical University. The THE is important.

I want to hate that but I also 100% know that I would do it just to annoy other fans if I were an OSU fan.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I want to hate that but I also 100% know that I would do it just to annoy other fans if I were an OSU fan.

A number of them seriously make that their hill to die on. It's amazing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It seems like it would be super fun to do in the most pretentious way possible, and wish I could get away with exclusively referring to Iowa as THE University of Iowa (or ideally it's old school name THE State University of Iowa, in contrast to the Iowa State Agricultural College and Model Farm)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It did tee up the Dayton Daily News to do a great troll job last March though

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

THE Ohio Institute of Technology. (TOIT)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

Move it right into the Cuyahoga.

So, two miles north?

• Locked thread