Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You turn it upside down and shake the oil out of the fill tube?

No, they're disposable. You just pull the plastic handles under the hood and the whole powerplant comes with, toss it in the dumpster and plug a new one in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

veedubfreak posted:

I can almost guarantee this car was spotted in Austin.

Plano.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

xzzy posted:

No, they're disposable. You just pull the plastic handles under the hood and the whole powerplant comes with, toss it in the dumpster and plug a new one in.

That's the previous generation. In this one you use a penny to turn the screw that drops the oil pan.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

That's the previous generation. In this one you use a penny to turn the screw that drops the oil pan.

No it's less like a screw and more like those quarter-turn plugs that you remove to replace a watch battery.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Somehow for that part of Plano, I'm not surprised. He probably just left GUNGEARTOGO for some overpriced gun accessories.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Geirskogul posted:

No it's less like a screw and more like those quarter-turn plugs that you remove to replace a watch battery.

:thatsthejoke:

edit: too lazy to fix it :shrug:

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/parts-sale-private-sales/130833-bmw-e36-inc-m3-z3-front-camber-adjustment-kit-25-including-uk-post.html

Guy posts a camber kit he 'developed' for sale for $40 and goes on about how great and simple it is and how it's compatible with everything, while not actually describing what it is or showing any pictures. People even ask for pictures, but he pointedly ignores them. Finally someone who bought a kit takes some, it turns out it's a bag of washers and bolts worth maybe two dollars:

He justifies it by saying it factors in cost of development and that he's basically just doing the forum a favor by making this available. When people point out some problems with it, he counters that he's a mechanical engineer and that this kit somehow increases the track of the car to gain the camber rather than by forcing the strut into a weird position:

Then comes the truly terrible part: Everyone eats it up and he ends up selling dozens

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I drove a car2go up a steep hill with an air conditioner in the back during a rainstorm. I definitely did run the stop sign at the top of the hill because I needed to keep my momentum going.

Also, I drove over a speed bump going 35. That was fun.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Xy Hapu posted:

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/parts-sale-private-sales/130833-bmw-e36-inc-m3-z3-front-camber-adjustment-kit-25-including-uk-post.html

Guy posts a camber kit he 'developed' for sale for $40 and goes on about how great and simple it is and how it's compatible with everything, while not actually describing what it is or showing any pictures. People even ask for pictures, but he pointedly ignores them. Finally someone who bought a kit takes some, it turns out it's a bag of washers and bolts worth maybe two dollars:

He justifies it by saying it factors in cost of development and that he's basically just doing the forum a favor by making this available. When people point out some problems with it, he counters that he's a mechanical engineer and that this kit somehow increases the track of the car to gain the camber rather than by forcing the strut into a weird position:

Then comes the truly terrible part: Everyone eats it up and he ends up selling dozens

"Don't copy the kit, shop bought bolts won't be strong enough!"

One of my favourite places to visit is the massive industrial fixings warehouse down the road. Hand the dude cash and you can have as many bolts stronger than those that you like and for the fraction of the cost.

I can't really hate the guy for making money off idiots. :/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I drove a car2go up a steep hill with an air conditioner in the back during a rainstorm. I definitely did run the stop sign at the top of the hill because I needed to keep my momentum going.

Also, I drove over a speed bump going 35. That was fun.

When it snowed last I tried taking out a car2go, all I managed to do was turn it on the spot by 90 degrees as it spun its little wheels.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:stare:

I used to live in the terrible apartments behind that strip mall.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

the "a smart rear end" almost makes up for all the rest of the crap on that car.

Almost.

EDIT:

Goddamn there are way too many north texas goons in here.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Preoptopus posted:

Oil changes on it are no different than any other car. Not sure why she felt only they could do it.

corn in the fridge posted:

smart car engines don't have sump plugs

That was my understanding. Like other Mercs, you have to vacuum it out if the dipstick tube or something along those lines.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MetaJew posted:

That was my understanding. Like other Mercs, you have to vacuum it out if the dipstick tube or something along those lines.

Isn't that how half of those cheap oil change places do it anyway?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

nitrogen posted:

Goddamn there are way too many north texas goons in here.

tbqh north texas is pretty great

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

dissss posted:

Isn't that how half of those cheap oil change places do it anyway?

I wouldn't know. :wotwot:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

MetaJew posted:

the smart fourtwo has a hilariously huge 24 mm drain plug in the oilpan.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/UdWL6FH.jpg

http://kitcarmike.com/the-car-factory-store/etv.aspx

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The cockroaches in Wisconsin are loving huge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Locator posted:

Doesn't matter, they'll hit a deer and destroy themselves.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

My head knows this car is terrible but I still think it's cool looking.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Also, there's a solid chance that thing used to be a Porsche Boxster.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Reminds me of a cross between Hot Wheels and the first Transformers movie when they arrived in that weird space pod form

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Locator posted:

Nah, probably a deer tick.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

I went to their website and found this....

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The best part of that dome link is the fact that they don't have a picture for a $16000 dollar product.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Not gonna lie, I'd totally put one of those on a Boxster, turbo the piss out of it, throw on some crazy LED lighting, and drive around freaking people out.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Alighieri posted:

tbqh north texas is pretty great

From October-may it sure is. June-sept, not so much. gently caress the heat here.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

uh... did he just BLOW ON IT?

in related vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jytzSA24jFY

I spy with my little eye, something helpful.

I'm at work, so I can't have audio on -- what I gather from the comments, they:

Washed the engine
Started the car
*something* overheated the cat
cat spits out its guts
overheated cat cooks fuel line
fuel line ruptures
*fire*

So, by washing the engine, they fried something that made it run too rich, leading to cascading failures?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Methinks they're mostly lucky the wind wasn't blowing in the opposite direction...

Also, props on getting it all recorded so your insurance can call you a dumb poo poo and not cover a damned thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I'm at work, so I can't have audio on -- what I gather from the comments, they:

Washed the engine
Started the car
*something* overheated the cat
cat spits out its guts
overheated cat cooks fuel line
fuel line ruptures
*fire*

So, by washing the engine, they fried something that made it run too rich, leading to cascading failures?

That's basically my take on it.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

T1g4h posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd totally put one of those on a Boxster, turbo the piss out of it, throw on some crazy LED lighting, and drive around freaking people out.

Max soundproofing between the engine and the outside world, put in speakers instead that play the TIE fighter SCREEEEEEEEEEE noise whenever you rev it. :getin:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Naturally Selected posted:

Max soundproofing between the engine and the outside world, put in speakers instead that play the TIE fighter SCREEEEEEEEEEE noise whenever you rev it. :getin:

Yesssss! Exactly. I'd rock the gently caress out of that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm pretty sure I've heard cars (usually beat-up minivans for some reason) going down the road making that exact sound... :v:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Raluek posted:

I'm pretty sure I've heard cars (usually beat-up minivans for some reason) going down the road making that exact sound... :v:

Alternative: Add some sectioned legs, use a busted engine that makes that ticking sound. Won't last long, but it'll be worth it!

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

I cocked my head at that like a confused dog for a solid 30 seconds before I figured out what the gently caress was going on.

:wtc:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

FFS just WHYYY?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Methinks they're mostly lucky the wind wasn't blowing in the opposite direction...

Also, props on getting it all recorded so your insurance can call you a dumb poo poo and not cover a damned thing.

Seriously, that building looks like it would go up like a box of matches. Also they didn't just wash the engine compartment, which is perfectly fine if you're careful, they powerwashed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gorson posted:

Seriously, that building looks like it would go up like a box of matches. Also they didn't just wash the engine compartment, which is perfectly fine if you're careful, they powerwashed it.

Powerwashing is the only good way to get all that crap out of the MAF.