Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

the iwata thing was like "hey everyone, if i could just have a second. today the CEO of nintendo died. he oversaw the Wii and 3DS. i just wanted to say thanks Iwata. so thanks Iwata."

there was like 20 people there maybe. coincidentally there was some get together of people from the international megacorp gaming company i worked for there, including my um main middle manager dude and i said hi after that.

in my subjective opinion it wasn't as catastrophic as you would naturally imagine a goon doing it, and believe me i would tell you if it was. i once wet my pants at a sleep over, i'm an open book about these things.

i still know the apple store guy i gave the flowers and chocolate apple to. he hasn't teased me about it so i presume it didn't seem pathetic there either.

i feel like both jobs and iwata stood "at the junction between the arts, technology and business" as edward land would say. that's extremely my poo poo. not just inventing or innovating on something, but pushing the needle of popular culture with that technology. i guess it's like, sure, carl marx invented communism, but it was stalin who took it all the way and made it happen!

great post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cremnob posted:

great post

agreed

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
that story with the flowers and the chocolate was heartwarming thank you for your service in difficult times pressurekevin

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

pram
Jun 10, 2001

poty posted:

that story with the flowers and the chocolate was heartwarming thank you for your service in difficult times pressurekevin

it takes some bravery. or at least a profound lack of self awareness. to make yourself vulnerable in public like that. i think kevin brought a little pleasure to everyones heart that day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kevin... has chicken legs

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

these are so sad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
actually they're the only thing that keeps most lonely apple users alive

I guess one could consider lifesavers sad... they are designed to be used in the worst of circumstances.... on the other hand one could consider them examples of the purity that life has to give

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

stebe would definitely have appreciated all the elegance and thought that went into that gas station bouquet

hey where's ios9 and el capitan

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 16, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Internaut! posted:

stebe would definitely have appreciated all the elegance and thought that went into that gas station bouquet

hey where's ios9 and el capitan

el cap is september 30

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

el cap is not a day one install for me most likely

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

the iwata thing was like "hey everyone, if i could just have a second. today the CEO of nintendo died. he oversaw the Wii and 3DS. i just wanted to say thanks Iwata. so thanks Iwata."

there was like 20 people there maybe. coincidentally there was some get together of people from the international megacorp gaming company i worked for there, including my um main middle manager dude and i said hi after that.

in my subjective opinion it wasn't as catastrophic as you would naturally imagine a goon doing it, and believe me i would tell you if it was. i once wet my pants at a sleep over, i'm an open book about these things.

i still know the apple store guy i gave the flowers and chocolate apple to. he hasn't teased me about it so i presume it didn't seem pathetic there either.

i feel like both jobs and iwata stood "at the junction between the arts, technology and business" as edward land would say. that's extremely my poo poo. not just inventing or innovating on something, but pushing the needle of popular culture with that technology. i guess it's like, sure, carl marx invented communism, but it was stalin who took it all the way and made it happen!

yospos is good

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Last Chance posted:

el cap is september 30

what the poo poo? how is that gonna work with iOS not being in lockstep with OS X? like the new Notes.app has all kinds of new features that isn't on the Mavericks version, prolly other apps have new stuff too

jfc do I have to manually back up my data in 2015 like an animal?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Internaut! posted:

what the poo poo? how is that gonna work with iOS not being in lockstep with OS X? like the new Notes.app has all kinds of new features that isn't on the Mavericks version, prolly other apps have new stuff too

jfc do I have to manually back up my data in 2015 like an animal?

huh? ive been using el capitan and ios 8.4 for months now no problems.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
you just install IOS 9 and select "Don't upgrade" when it prompts you, then click upgrade when you got el capitan on your poo poo

its still lame, they should have just upgraded notes for yosemite

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

thenextweb is :qq: af

quote:

iOS 9 is out today.

Here’s our review. Its 3,093 words that tell you what you need to know and why.

Here’s MacStories’ review, it’s… 48,000 words long.

Yes, MacStories is excellent, but does it need nearly 50,000 words to talk about a software update?

The answer is ‘no.’ There is no sane answer other than ‘no.’

The U.S. Constitution weighs in at 4,543 words.
Magna Carta got the job done with 500.
The 10 commandments tapped out at 297.

This piece (including this line, the number that follows and the headline)? 105.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2015/09/16/ios-9-is-good-this-slug-uses-9-words/

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

better not write anything longer than the constitution ever then!

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

better not write anything longer than the constitution ever then!

unironically agree

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

wait how long is the bible i dotn think we should write anything longer than the king james bible

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
no one tell them about siracusa reviews then

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
"we couldn't afford to pay a tech writer for more than 3,100 words"

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I won't read anything that's not a listicle

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
to be fair what more needs to be said about ios 9 other than "it's real real bad and a terrible mistake"?

bloviating for 50k words won't change how bad ios 9 is

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Stymie posted:

to be fair what more needs to be said about ios 9 other than "it's real real bad and a terrible mistake"?

bloviating for 50k words won't change how bad ios 9 is

the change from Helvetica Neue to San Francisco as system font is worth a solid 3-5k words.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Unironically the most important feature in El Capitan is that they added an option in Safari to make ⌘-numkey change to that numbered tab

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to apple.com because Safari believes that's an appropriate thing to do when you hit ⌘-1

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i'm the unironic use of the word "bloviating" while criticizing wordiness

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Linguica posted:

Unironically the most important feature in El Capitan is that they added an option in Safari to make ⌘-numkey change to that numbered tab

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to apple.com because Safari believes that's an appropriate thing to do when you hit ⌘-1

numbered tabs? huh?

edit: wow, never knew about that. thanks timb

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Linguica posted:

epic samsies ftw

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it's out restart steam

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

(only 1gig, too huh)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
uhh i installed ios9 gm last week and there is 40MB update now but its failing to install

i think i screwed myself

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Perplx posted:

uhh i installed ios9 gm last week and there is 40MB update now but its failing to install

i think i screwed myself

nah it errors out right now if you try to install it via iOS itself. Use iTunes.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
timb, my phone keeps saying error trying to download iOS 9. what the gently caress is this poo poo, timb?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's out restart steam
currently waiting for my needs to be suited

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ugh only got 340mbit/sec when pulling the update. what is that scrub tier cdn poo poo?

gonna suit my hunger needs then suit my iPhone needs later.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
its updating OTA now

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

the change from Helvetica Neue to San Francisco as system font is worth a solid 3-5k words.
the new system font changes everything. all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Pinterest Mom posted:

don't quote stymie you loving idiot

• Locked thread