Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Story wise the series peaked at MGS1 and MGS3. Both games had relatively straight forward stories about a single agent infiltrating an enemy base that occurred in real time. Anytime the series deviated from that formula the story suffered. I'm not sure whether I disliked 4 or 5 more from a narrative perspective, but I think both are pretty terrible.

I don't really think any of it can be compared to Dark Souls, which attempts storytelling through a very different mechanism that takes advantage of the unique properties of video games. It's far more clever than anything going on in the Metal Gear series in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dark Souls MGS would just be you climbing the infamous MGS 3 ladder starting in the mountains and emerging in what seemed to be a swamp thats near or below sea level.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

cargohills posted:

I'm surprised about the unpopularity of MGSV's story. I guess I'd like if there was more to it, but I think (barring maybe some scenes in MGS4) that it's cutscenes are the absolute peak of the series. Previous games in the series often had their cutscenes drag on for far too long and they weren't shot very interestingly.

I don't think it's unpopular, it's just a combination of the marketing (the missing link+fall of Big Boss) mixed with the fact that this is Kojima's final Metal Gear and we spent 90% of the game fighting a forgettable villain rather than dealing with the "end game" of the series.

If this was Metal Gear Solid 4 and it was clear that there would be a Metal Gear Solid V dealing with what people thought we'd be getting, it'd be received much better.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 16, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

Dark Souls MGS would just be you climbing the infamous MGS 3 ladder starting in the mountains and emerging in what seemed to be a swamp thats near or below sea level.

That would be Dark Souls 2 MGS. DS1 has no such problems.

Dark Metal Gear Souls 2 would be about how each area seems physically similar, and the bad guys you fight get stronger and stronger. Instead of boss battles, there's groups of enemies that attack in a coordinated fashion. Eventually, reality melts away revealing that you've been in the same area the entire time, and you are a boss.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dark Souls Metal Gear would be screwing up a dodge by one frame and getting stuck in Sahelanthropus's attack animation.

Nakar posted:

KAZ: "What if she's a spy?"
OCELOT: "What if I'm a spy?"
Too bad technology has not reached the point where we could render a small bead of sweat running down Ocelot's face, because that's a huge bluff to be making in front of Master Paranoid.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Dark Souls Metal Gear would be screwing up a dodge by one frame and getting stuck in Sahelanthropus's attack animation.

Too bad technology has not reached the point where we could render a small bead of sweat running down Ocelot's face, because that's a huge bluff to be making in front of Master Paranoid.

Is it? Let's not pretend that Ocelot couldn't put Miller down like the lame dog he is.

Ocelot: "K brb going to torture myself to find out if I'm a spy"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Funky Valentine posted:

Dude essentially runs a long con for 50 years. He's the KING of ballsy bluffs.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Snak posted:

Is it? Let's not pretend that Ocelot couldn't put Miller down like the lame dog he is.

Yeah Ocelot doesn't need to be scared of Miller. There are only two people who Ocelot didn't manage to clown, The Boss and Big Boss. One is his mom and the other is his idol/unrequited love.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This is the best video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYM-vPKyxfA
Fake credits make it.

edit: holy poo poo:

MGS1 - Solid Snake: "Wolf-dogs. half wolf, half husky"

This poo poo goes deep.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 16, 2015

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I really enjoyed the Japanese voice acting in this game, only because I've always enjoyed the Japanese Snake's voice. The other voices are pretty well done as well. The only problem with going Japanese is obviously having the read the tapes rather than just listen to them while on a mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgtj3mCO9Oo

What a fantastic trailer btw.

In the Japanese translation, Zero really sounds amiable with everyone involved in DD. He just sounds like he really cares about Big Boss and has no real ill will towards him or anyone else. For me at least, it made the conclusion to MGS4 that much more satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv3AY58HMr4

I mean, listen to that poo poo. So much enthusiasm!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Snak posted:

yeah but none of the metal gears were ever worth a poo poo. I mean, I didn't play MGS4, and it looks like Gekkos were pretty good, but REX? never used, RAY, LOL. ARSENAL gear? Good for one 9/11. Zeke? All the ones from Peace Walker?

Metal Gear is a garbage technology compared to the S3 program. These giant war machines that are supposed to change the face of battle, are, without exception, all destroyed by a single guy with a rocket launcher. Seems like maybe it's more cost effective to just make really good rocket launchers? What's that you say? Metal gear is really about a nuclear launch platform? Well how about nuclear rocket launchers? They've only been around since before metal gear, surely improving the range and effectiveness of those is a better investment than anime robots?

No really, the real villain of the MGS saga is hilariously bad priorities for military spending. The plot of MGS is that the most advanced technology that DARPA can buy built by geniuses who are a half-century ahead of their time is useless against a guy in a cardboard box who didn't even bring his own rocket launcher, choke-slammed one off of one of your own guys.

The metal gear is you, the player

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The metal gear is you, the player

A weapon to surpass metal gear

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wish I could go back in time and tell myself a few weeks after MGSV was out I thought Kiefer was a great snake and didnt have half as many spoken lines as he should. My loving head would explode.

And I'm the guy who would pay too much for a david hayter voice DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6PnO7UDJ5M

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I posted this video earlier, but I'm reposting it because I just saw what the video description was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYM-vPKyxfA

video description posted:

In Metal Gear Solid 2 Ocelot throws the entire story out the window. Also, for some loving reason Ocelot glued liquids arm on and now his arm mind controls him. It also changes his voice actor to the one for liquid, this confuses snake so much that his head literally explodes.

Now that Snake is dead forever. You have to play as gay raiden, a big stupid crybaby losers who doesn't even smoke. This time you have to infilitrate a remote military compound called Metal Moses, which was captured by a group of genetically enhanced genome super-soilders.

Raiden fights a magic vampire wizard then the wizards head pops off to reveal that he was actually solid snikes brother solidus snake, a super-cell-nano-con-mega-soilder cloned from the same nanomachines that created Solid Gear. Also he is is the president of the united states. "Brother, I am the KING OF THE PIRATES". Turns out Gas Snake is the leader of a deadcell nano-centro-processor duonamic simbafu group called The Sons of the Guns of the Patroits. tm

You see it turns out that everything so far was completely staged and fake. Liquid Snake was never the true ring leader at all, but was answering to Solidus Snake the entire time who was the biggest bad guy of them all. But then he gets double crossed by Ocelot who is actually Liquid who was actually a quadruple agent the whole time. and the biggest most evil bad guy of them all.

But Smetal Snake saw it coming all along and reveals that he is actually a proxy ai created by the patriots 1000 years ago, but Solidus reveals that Rayden has information that is being carried by the nanomachines in raydens cerebral cortex. You see lovely rayden is actualy a robot this whole time, working for le-lu-li-lo-la-la-low and the patriots but he didnt even know it because of the matrix.

So Rayden chops of doctor octopus's head off and becomes the president of the united states, but Solid snake was alive all along and goes back in time to the 1960s so he can blow up Metal Gear Solid before it was even created.

Unfortnuately he was too late, Ocelot also went back in time and shot metal gear ron into the the future with his future gun.
so metal gear snake has to shoot back into the future but now its so many years future hes old as poo poo, even though hes died from old age he has to defeat a group of renegade genome super-soilders known as the Sons of Foxhound. Liquid Ocelot who is now being mind controlled by 30 different double-agents through his left leg, turns off all the guns in the world so that nobody can ever shoot anybody ever again, in turn saving the entire world. So snake beats him to death.

the end

*guest starring big boss*

Big Boss : very convincing, but all completely wrong, you see snake turns out everything that ever happened was fake and staged by the super-patriots, the patriots were just a pawn and a reverse-triple agent working for solidus snake, but when he found out they were working for him he double crossed his own self in order to make himself work for them to trick them into being a triple reverse agent for his own self. hewas also a rogue proxy ai and a nanomachine you see snake shadow moses wasn't a remote nuclear warhead facility at all, it was actually a humongous on switch for the biggest metal gear in the world, metal gear herman. A metal gear so powerful that is so powerful that everything in the entire universe is not even existing anymore. You see snake Liquid Ocelot was actually my mother.
It all started when i was in office as the president of the c united states i discovered remnants of an ancient-nanograde-genome-supercon-simbaf­udrive--metal-gear which was a quintrople agent working for every country in the universe - on the moon.
he was also a rogue-ai and the leader of the super patriots.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
amazing. that is canon now.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe Konami would cut that all from Episode 51. It was 30% compete. #KojimaLives #IngsocIsOutThere

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think I finished the game

what was the point of the character face development at the beginning? I've seen people say "keep playing" but there's nothing left for me to do that I'm aware of

also i cant leave mission 45

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Madcosby posted:

what was the point of the character face development at the beginning? I've seen people say "keep playing" but there's nothing left for me to do that I'm aware of

If you haven't completed a mission called The Truth you aren't done.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Erata posted:

If you haven't completed a mission called The Truth you aren't done.

is there some way out of mission 43? I cant abort and I suck at the game and i cant leave the mission area without a checkpoint

i think im done with this game

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Wait i think it may be mission 45

its the one with all the tanks that you fight with quiet. I cant abort the mission

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

its the one with all the tanks that you fight with quiet. I cant abort the mission

maybe try shooting them all? why do you need to abort the mission?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Madcosby posted:

There is one way to leave Mission 45...futon a container (you spawn near one in the mission when you reach Quiet) and just ride it back to Mother Base.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That mission blows. The splash radius on the tank shells is too large.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

maybe try shooting them all? why do you need to abort the mission?

because im not as good at video games or virginity like you. i suppose you wanted to hear that

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That mission blows. The splash radius on the tank shells is too large.

That and if you hadn't been building rocket launchers the vehicles eat like 6 or 7 rockets a piece.

I ended up just air supporting constantly to blow them up, end rank be dammed.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Madcosby posted:

That mission is a bitch. I toughed it out. Uh. Reddit claims you can ride a materials container out of the mission by standing on it and fulton extracting it. You should get a prompt to ride it out of the level.

As for beating the level, I camped on top of the building to avoid the heavy tank shells and plinked them with rockets in between their shots after taking down the gunship.

edit:
That mission loving sucks though. Yeah cool, the tanks can snipe me at 500 meters through a sandstorm at night yeah ok. I'm wearing a sneaking suit, so uh. NVG/Thermal protection hello??? Chuck out a hundred decoys and it works. They shoot at the decoys. As soon as you enter line of sight, all those tank turrets start rotating around to face you. Oh yeah the tank shots pierce walls and cover slightly, but often enough to still 1 shot you.

Erata fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 16, 2015

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
best advice for that mission is to supply drop in your own rocket launcher if its a better version

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Erata posted:

That mission is a bitch. I toughed it out. Uh. Reddit claims you can ride a materials container out of the mission by standing on it and fulton extracting it. You should get a prompt to ride it out of the level.

Yeah, it's a viable way of self-extraction. Especially if you have wormholes. The only time it doesn't work is when you're on Mother Base.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

That's the mission you can skip by using the butterfly emblem, right?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
One of the optional tasks for 45 is to fulton like 7 tanks. That's loving stupid, some of these optional tasks are just exercises in hating oneself.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

The Grimace posted:

One of the optional tasks for 45 is to fulton like 7 tanks. That's loving stupid, some of these optional tasks are just exercises in hating oneself.

Stealth camo and sprinting around like a madman!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

iGestalt posted:

Yeah, I suppose that's the only pain free way of doing that. Nice thinking. I've still never used any of the stealth camos, but it's really time to when they get this ridiculous.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

iGestalt posted:

stealth camo doesn't work on that mission. they still see you.

the actual solution is to call in a couple of sandstorms, which they can't see through.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

because im not as good at video games or virginity like you. i suppose you wanted to hear that

No, I mean, with supply drops, where can just keep ordering whatever weapons you need, how are you stuck? maybe I didn't do 45...

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

lets hang out posted:

stealth camo doesn't work on that mission. they still see you.

the actual solution is to call in a couple of sandstorms, which they can't see through.

Or use the parasite suit with the armor function enabled, which doesn't impact your rank. You can't afford to stand out in the open for the very long but you can tank enough damage to run directly at a tank and fulton it before it can break the armour.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Erata posted:

As for beating the level, I camped on top of the building to avoid the heavy tank shells and plinked them with rockets in between their shots after taking down the gunship.

edit:
That mission loving sucks though. Yeah cool, the tanks can snipe me at 500 meters through a sandstorm at night yeah ok. I'm wearing a sneaking suit, so uh. NVG/Thermal protection hello??? Chuck out a hundred decoys and it works. They shoot at the decoys. As soon as you enter line of sight, all those tank turrets start rotating around to face you. Oh yeah the tank shots pierce walls and cover slightly, but often enough to still 1 shot you.

I beat it by just saying 'gently caress rockets', hiding behind the container, and popping out only to stare at a tank through my scope and call down bombardments.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

That's the mission you can skip by using the butterfly emblem, right?

It's not so much "Skipped" as the event/side op that leads to it won't trigger so long as you're using the butterfly emblem. I don't think it's actually required to beat it to unlock mission 46 or anything else though, so you're only missing content related to the mission itself.

Once you're in it it's too late though - you can extract yourself out via the container but you won't ever be able to use Quiet again.

It's a rough mission but there are a few spots you can hang out that the tanks have trouble hitting you. One area I found came in handy was the bottom floor on the left side of the palace (facing out towards the desert) with a desk and some stuff in it. It's got a big open hole in the front you can shoot through, but if you stand back behind the desk the tanks have a really hard time not hitting the columns/walls several feet in front of you.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 16, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I havent got there yet but does Ishmael sound like Hayter or Keifer

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not so much "Skipped" as the event/side op that leads to it won't trigger so long as you're using the butterfly emblem. I don't think it's actually required to beat it to unlock mission 46 or anything else though, so you're only missing content related to the mission itself.

Once you're in it it's too late though - you can extract yourself out via the container but you won't ever be able to use Quiet again.

Well, I guess I'd better get to making a butterfly emblem ASAP. I want to keep Quiet AND that mission sounds god-loving-awful.

Can you still finish the rest of the game without doing that mission? Like, are there other missions available, or does it just stop progressing until you change emblem back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Abu Dave posted:

I havent got there yet but does Ishmael sound like Hayter or Keifer

they got quinton flynn to do it.

• Locked thread