Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

RIP Paul Walker posted:

the Ford experience is goddamn infuriating.

This has been my dealings with ford trucks and SUVs. The mustangs are ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
gently caress 2015?

The axe came down today on the restructuring announced nearly two months ago. 66% of my team got a meeting invite for later today. I did not get the invite. Its kinda looking like I won't be laid off, but I dunno how we are going to continue supporting all these projects with a third of the manpower.

It sure as hell isn't going to be a productive week anymore.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

The Locator posted:

There are plenty of first-rate trauma centers all over the US, so I guess it just depends on what sort of trauma she wants to learn about and deal with. For shooty/stabby stuff the Baltimore area would be pretty good, but of course you live in shooty/stabby land. The trauma centers in Phoenix are very busy, but more weighted to traffic accidents, and work injuries, although there are a fair number of fight/shooty/stabby stuff injuries too.

Personally if I was coming to the US and had my choice on where to go, it would be San Diego, just because the weather is pretty much perfect all year round, and the bay exists, where sailing is perfect almost every day.

Not sure if we could handle san diego weather, where we live we have 242 days of rain in a good year. couple of years ago we had 98 days of rain straight

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Does anybody know about isolation transformers for boats? A friend of my dad's isolation transformer went out on his boat, and now he doesn't have power. He tried to get a replacement but apparently the only offices the company has is in Wisconsin and New Zealand. This does him no good as he is moored in Hawaii.

He has a Mastervolt Mass GI 3.5 (Product code: 88000355). Is there anyone who makes an equivalent to this? Searching around the internet I see a bunch of isolation transformers but none that would work on a 48' yacht. This mastervolt one looks like it's built specifically for this application. If I can't find an equivalent product that's easier to source, I'll probably just get the mastervolt shipped to him or something.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

fjelltorsk posted:

couple of years ago we had 98 days of rain straight

Honestly, this sounds pretty amazing.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
How do you make the square holes needed to fasten a blank head carriage bolt?

Like this:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

RIP Paul Walker posted:

But yeah, the Ford experience is goddamn infuriating.

My dad tried them with our 1988 Taurus... Yeah :v:

Maybe they should have stuck to rebadging Mazdas.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love Arizona but if I could make San Diego work without a huge headache, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Definitely this. Some of the best beer in the country, arguably the best weather, not great traffic but still not LA or Baltimore/DC. Plus, California could use an extra 100k firefighters right now. Bring some water with you...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

fjelltorsk posted:

Not sure if we could handle san diego weather, where we live we have 242 days of rain in a good year. couple of years ago we had 98 days of rain straight

Oh, then what you are looking for is Portland/Seattle/Vancouver.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MustardFacial posted:

Like this:

Either ream out a round hole with a square ream, or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjckF0-VeGI

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

MustardFacial posted:

Like this:

This is where my old shop teacher would have given me that look and handed me a file.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fjelltorsk posted:

Come to seattle then! lots of scandinavians, although we are now dwarfed by the influx of goddamned transplants and back in 99 we also had something like 95 continuous days of measurable rain.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

MustardFacial posted:

Like this:

Thin material, punch it out. Thick material, file.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fjelltorsk posted:

Aha, after asking the waifu i get it, shock trauma is the ER of University of Marylands hospital, and john hopkins is another hospital

she is also talking about a hospital in New York, and on in the bay area... i know what i would prefer

Come to Northern California. We have race tracks, no winter except one you can drive to, and places to bike in december.

Also we can be shooty-stabby.

Edit: it hasn't rained much this year, but in theory it normally does in some parts.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

nm posted:

Come to Northern California. We have race tracks, no winter except one you can drive to, and places to bike in december.

Also we can be shooty-stabby.

Edit: it hasn't rained much this year, but in theory it normally does in some parts.

She is checking where her hospital has connections, baltimore was kinda like her wet dream workwise. but a nightmare living wise

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Nevermind, I found a better solution:

Knurled hurricane bolt:

just pound that poo poo in.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Sitting at the dmv:
:byodame:"I just locked myself out of my computer ha! I set up a new password then it locked me out before I remembered what it was!"
:psyboom:

Also since my last ID was from Minnesota and I lost it there is a 72hr wait before my IA license goes into effect so I can't get my motorcycle endorsement until tues. :mad: so I can't ride this to school

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love Arizona but if I could make San Diego work without a huge headache, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yea, if my company had an office there I'd be checking for in-house openings every single day. Probably 3 times per day.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I just got a parking ticket in the mail for parking my vehicle in the parking lot I've been paying for every month for two years :psyboom:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

so I can't get my motorcycle endorsement until tues. :mad: so I can't ride this to school

Well, you could...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is it kosher to drive my car with the MAF unplugged a couple miles to the parts store? It dies with the sensor plugged in when I touch the throttle, and the CEL is on.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I just realized my Bricklin thread got archived. Bummer. How fast do those things get archived anyway?

I don't really have an update for it, other than it's still sitting in the garage as I figure out next steps. I ran into some hiccups with work and money has been super tight, so car projects have been on hold.

In other news, years ago I came up with an idea for an automotive based TV show and recently started developing it with a producer friend. A week after I finished the treatment we somehow got an agent interested in the project and started shopping around to production companies, of which 4 want to sign on to produce. Now I have two hosts attached and we start pitching to networks any day now. It's pretty exciting. I just put together a second concept which will be going through the same process as well.

I've started meeting some professional drivers through various connections and ideas have been kicking around, so I'm excited for what the future brings.

Really I just want money to finish my Bricklin. I've started thinking about locating an AMC 401 for the Brick and using the LS engine and Magnum in a different project. I'll figure that out once I start making money again.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
So soon I'll be able to answer question 11 in the Sheep Game your TV show? That's awesome!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BoostCreep posted:

I just realized my Bricklin thread got archived. Bummer. How fast do those things get archived anyway?

Our beloved moderator can confirm this, but I'm pretty sure it's exactly 90 days. I went to update one of my threads where the last post was something like May 15, and I tried to update it on August 15 and it got archived the day before due to 31 days in July. Just start a new one with a link to the old one when you have news.

Enourmo posted:

Is it kosher to drive my car with the MAF unplugged a couple miles to the parts store? It dies with the sensor plugged in when I touch the throttle, and the CEL is on.

Should be fine, most cars have some sort of open-loop mode for exactly that reason. Just be gentle in case you're running rich or lean so you don't blow something.

CharlesM posted:

So soon I'll be able to answer question 11 in the Sheep Game your TV show? That's awesome!
Oh poo poo I think I skimmed and mis-read that question! I thought it was about taking a break from car shows!

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 16, 2015

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

fjelltorsk posted:

She is checking where her hospital has connections, baltimore was kinda like her wet dream workwise. but a nightmare living wise

Have her take a look at Harborview in Seattle. Its a trauma center that gets people flown in from alaska/montana/idaho/oregon that seems to be always busy. Our weather is probably pretty close to what you are used to, and while the cost of living here keeps going up, I'm sure its still well below norway.

I think someone else mentioned being in SF for work. I am here till the 25th with gently caress all to do after I leave the office and nothing really planned for the weekend if anything is going on. I can't wait till this dreamforce bullshit is over, I have no idea how I managed to end up in this city while its happening for unrelated reasons 2 years in a row.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
For the record, it's "Johns Hopkins" hospital and it's one of the highest regarded research hospitals in the world. So if she can get in there, it's well worth living in lovely Baltimore.

It's like the Mayo Clinic but on the east coast. Which also means a shorter flight back to Euroville to visit relatives/etc.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

A friend of mine is sitting through an A+ cert class right now since his work paid for him to do it since they want all their techs A+ certified. He has been writing nuggets of wisdom all week that the instructor is giving the class. I'm pretty sure his instructor wrote the screenplay for hackers. Enjoy: https://twitter.com/aplusblowhard

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ether Frenzy posted:

For the record, it's "Johns Hopkins" hospital and it's one of the highest regarded research hospitals in the world. So if she can get in there, it's well worth living in lovely Baltimore.

It's like the Mayo Clinic but on the east coast. Which also means a shorter flight back to Euroville to visit relatives/etc.

Except is is maryland shock trauma, and he should move to norcal.
I'm actually pretty sure it is really good because I've heard of it, though maybe they just went there in the wire or homicide.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

keykey posted:

A friend of mine is sitting through an A+ cert class right now since his work paid for him to do it since they want all their techs A+ certified. He has been writing nuggets of wisdom all week that the instructor is giving the class. I'm pretty sure his instructor wrote the screenplay for hackers. Enjoy: https://twitter.com/aplusblowhard

Wow.. just.. wow.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

keykey posted:

:stare:

My god...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

LloydDobler posted:

Oh poo poo I think I skimmed and mis-read that question! I thought it was about taking a break from car shows!

If you or anyone else want to change your answers for the Sheep Game, it's not like I have them carved in stone or anything...just send me your revised answers and you're good!

Also, I'm up to just short of 40 participants, with just over three days left; keep them coming in guys! I would like to hear from more of you, especially from posters I've never heard from in any of the previous games. Come to think of it, I've only ever heard from a couple of NEAI posters...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Brigdh posted:

gently caress 2015?

The axe came down today on the restructuring announced nearly two months ago. 66% of my team got a meeting invite for later today. I did not get the invite. Its kinda looking like I won't be laid off, but I dunno how we are going to continue supporting all these projects with a third of the manpower.

It sure as hell isn't going to be a productive week anymore.

sounds like time to dust off the resume to me.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uQO3vv9qzw

Motorcycle vs. Car Drift Battle 4 is finally out! More Dan Brockett, more crazy motorcycle drifts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

keykey posted:

So much half-understood information, and outright lack of knowledge. He's like a cargo cult...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

keykey posted:

Holy poo poo, that's some impressive ignorance-preaching.

Kinda like one of my wife's co-workers who came into her office to day, scandalized because "Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 to all computers and phones. If you don't have an Apple, then your device has Windows 10 on it now, taking up memory."

That's what happens when you listen to half a news story with a half-functioning mind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well god drat it. The girlfriend is thinking she wants to leave her job altogether so out goes the chance of getting the free rent back. This also means we'll probably have to move again.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uQO3vv9qzw

Motorcycle vs. Car Drift Battle 4 is finally out! More Dan Brockett, more crazy motorcycle drifts.

I have no idea what I just watched but I enjoyed the hell out of it

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

keykey posted:

Sooo much stupid right there. However gotta ask why the fax machine one is there - fax machines used to in the majority and still do use thermal paper in some models.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sooo much stupid right there. However gotta ask why the fax machine one is there - fax machines used to in the majority and still do use thermal paper in some models.

Old ones use thermal, most recent use plain paper. Thermal is as out of date as the rest of the A+ curriculum (neverminding the nonsense the instructor is spewing from that twitter feed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I've not seen a fax machine use thermal paper since the late 90's. They're all laser/inkjet printed now.

• Locked thread