Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Can routed ships be used as movement "bridges" in Forbidden Stars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Looking forward to my first game of Voyages of Marco Polo (2 player). Not looking forward to one of us playing the character that doesnt throw dice, which is what the rulebook recommends. Should we play with someone else or stick to the rules recommendation?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

frajaq posted:

Can routed ships be used as movement "bridges" in Forbidden Stars?

Nothing under Areas or Rout and Rally says they don't count as troops for determining Friendly control of an area, so I'd say yes.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

lordsummerisle posted:

Looking forward to my first game of Voyages of Marco Polo (2 player). Not looking forward to one of us playing the character that doesnt throw dice, which is what the rulebook recommends. Should we play with someone else or stick to the rules recommendation?

Go with any of them! They're all pretty balanced. On reflection, I'd maybe hold off on using Kublai Khan - his strengths aren't as apparent as the other guys to new players.

I also wouldn't worry about placing the little city incomes where they want you to for the first game.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

T-Bone posted:

Being on ice without skates is an abomination.

Curling is the best sport on ice

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

lordsummerisle posted:

Make sure you block off the Khan though! Forgot to do that my first game and it led to a poor outcome.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

lordsummerisle posted:

Everyone thinks that one is overpowered until they play the game, and then they see it's not. It's great for a newbie.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

So far my experience with Marco Polo is that no character is extremely overpowered, but some seem slightly underpowered, like kublai khan and the guy with the extra trading posts. Of course, it likely depends on the setup.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

burger time posted:

So far my experience with Marco Polo is that no character is extremely overpowered, but some seem slightly underpowered, like kublai khan and the guy with the extra trading posts. Of course, it likely depends on the setup.

It absolutely does. I've seen games with both of those characters where they've just blown up. It's a good, tightly balanced game.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Lorini posted:

Everyone thinks that one is overpowered until they play the game, and then they see it's not. It's great for a newbie.

I don't think it will be overpowered. It's more that I think the dice rolling sounds so central to the play experience. Not rolling any dice sounds like a more fun thing to try after you have the main game down.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Can someone with a bit of experience in Marco Polo tell me whether it stays fun after half a dozen or so plays?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

This always annoys me too. Is there a suggestion for good deck protectors that don't have that?

I use Dragon Shields or KMC Perfect Fits, depending mostly on whether I care if the deck takes up more space. The Dragon Shields have a ton of colour options which can be useful for separating different decks, but clear ones also exist if you want to admire the backs of the cards.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

bobvonunheil posted:

Can someone with a bit of experience in Marco Polo tell me whether it stays fun after half a dozen or so plays?

How big is your pool?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Broken Loose posted:

How big is your pool?

I'm tempted to spring for a waterslide but I'm worried it won't see play unless we introduce some house rules, and a well-designed game should stand up on its own.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bobvonunheil posted:

I'm tempted to spring for a waterslide but I'm worried it won't see play unless we introduce some house rules, and a well-designed game should stand up on its own.

What sort of weight are you looking it? I see people all the time going to something too light only for it to fall apart after a few goes.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

bobvonunheil posted:

Honestly, the stuff it comes with really sucks-- setup takes a long time and each player has to do their own preparation to even show up to the game. If you can't shell out for the deluxe edition, you can make your own with a ball pit or just use the one at your local McDonald's/Chuck E. Cheese. Your components will last longer, too, since you can just wipe or even hose them down when they get even the slightest bit of dirt or food on them.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

It does. The central puzzle is in the routes - there are three or four of them, and they rarely intersect on the map. Your two destination cards will usually require you to try to get to parts on at least two different routes. On top of that, there's a very high variability in the set-up - each major city has an action card on it, and there are a whole lot more action cards than there are cities. Finding the actions cards that will work together for you is one of the best parts of the game. In short, it's cool, tons of replayability.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Prairie Bus posted:

It does. The central puzzle is in the routes - there are three or four of them, and they rarely intersect on the map. Your two destination cards will usually require you to try to get to parts on at least two different routes. On top of that, there's a very high variability in the set-up - each major city has an action card on it, and there are a whole lot more action cards than there are cities. Finding the actions cards that will work together for you is one of the best parts of the game. In short, it's cool, tons of replayability.

Good to know. In our first game, each player just kind of picked a route, went to China and then halfway back again on a different route, and I was worried that every game would be a different mirror of that chain of events.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

Good to know. In our first game, each player just kind of picked a route, went to China and then halfway back again on a different route, and I was worried that every game would be a different mirror of that chain of events.

A lot of times, it's worth more to forget your destination halfway through and go all in on contracts. A lot of it depends on what the other players are up to.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm apparently going to be in a tournament for Imperial Settlers soon. Anyone have any tips for it?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Capsaicin posted:

I'm apparently going to be in a tournament for Imperial Settlers soon. Anyone have any tips for it?

Be Egypt. Don't be Japan.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

be egypt and win
or dont be egypt and lose

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Capsaicin posted:

I feel that GrandpaPants' assessment is a little bit verbose. Here's mine: Don't play.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Be Egypt. Don't be Japan.

Be Egypt or Barbarians for an easier time. Japan can certainly get pretty far though if left unthreatened by attacks as what happened last time I played.

Edit: Played a few games last night. Nothing too heavy. Broke out a copy of Pow Wow that I got for $10 and it did okay with 9 players though a few people kept pawing at the discard pile every round. Also, one person wanted to do a Liar's Dice-like house rule where a person who's exactly on and called correctly on it (saying the person before is exactly on) has everyone but the caller get a Buzzard or lets the caller remove a buzzard. We didn't play with that because gently caress getting poo poo back in bluffing games. Also, it's a lot easier in this game to be exact compared to Liar's Dice. The other big game played that night was Quartermaster General with the expansion. The US and the UK basically did a blitzkreig into Europe before Germany and Italy could set up and I didn't have the right hand to pull Russia or US off as Japan. Italy did extend out to India while I extended to Australia though. Other games I played included Skulls, Poison Sushi Go and Love Letter

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 17, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Countblanc posted:

I'll look into local sales, though I'm probably stupid as hell because I can't find a local selling forum on BGG, just a "michigan and other region" forum and there doesn't appear to be any sales discussion there. I won't clog up the thread anymore, but if anyone is interested in any of these games and lives in michigan or something feel free to shoot me a PM:

Kemet
Temporum
Suburbia
The Cave
Descent: 1st Edition
World of Warcraft: The Board Game + first (only?) two expansions
Tokaido

Are you anywhere near this route? https://goo.gl/maps/mVLOy If so I may be able to pick up Kemet from you, depending on the price.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Rutibex posted:

Jenga is the best dexterity game, followed closely by Crokinole :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JZrGKn66mI

How does it feel to be so wrong?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Indolent Bastard posted:

How does it feel to be so wrong?

If I could obtain that nutty Russian balancing game I would jump on it

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Does a manual dexterity cum euro game exist? I could imagine something like worker placement or area control with Jenga or that balancing platter game being cool and good. All I know of that aren't pure dexterity are Ameritrash kinds with a lot of wacky randomness like classic twister.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Chill la Chill posted:

manual dexterity cum euro game

My boy, people have been playing that game since time immemorial.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Chill la Chill posted:

Does a manual dexterity cum euro game exist? I could imagine something like worker placement or area control with Jenga or that balancing platter game being cool and good. All I know of that aren't pure dexterity are Ameritrash kinds with a lot of wacky randomness like classic twister.

It's not quite Euro, but Catacombs is a dexterity game with a healthy dose of strategy. It might fit the bill.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gutter Owl posted:

My boy, people have been playing that game since time immemorial.

:ohdear: I was hoping there's one that would be better in groups of 3-5. :3:

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

:ohdear: I was hoping there's one that would be better in groups of 3-5. :3:

Oh you are a kinky one eh?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

If I could obtain that nutty Russian balancing game I would jump on it

I can't think of many board games that are made to withstand being jumped on.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

homullus posted:

I can't think of many board games that are made to withstand being jumped on.

You need to expand your preconceived notions of what a "board" is.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Also, you could jump on a set of Hive and it would probably be fine. That game does not give a gently caress.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Bausack/Bandu has auctions, I believe. I have never played it.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Magnetise Tash Kalar, mount the board several metres up a wall and put a trampoline at the bottom. Players can only jump once per action.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Are we counting Ascending Empires? Because that's sorta euro.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Bausack/Bandu has auctions, I believe. I have never played it.

Yep. depending on the variant, each turn, the active player puts a piece up for auction in one of two ways:
- "To place", which a standard raise-the-bid-last-one-to-pass-wins affair and the winner can place the piece on their tower.
- "To refuse", which is just one gem to stay in. If you can't/won't stay in, auction over and you have to add the piece the to your tower.
Last to topple his tower wins.

I like the "Highest Tower" variant better than the standard rules:
- Each piece MUST make your tower higher than before.
- The auctions are simply "to take" and "to give" which work the same as "to place", only you either take the piece or give it to someone else.
- If you place a piece and topple your tower, you're knocked out of play, but may rebuild it to show how high you got (if no one beats your height you still win even if you got knocked out).
- If someone else gives you a piece, you can option to force him to put it on your tower instead of yourself, in which case if he topples your tower you rebuild, but he is knocked out instead.
Highest tower once all towers are toppled once wins.

First game gets more weird towers that look like to box cover, second gives you more desperate and ramshackle towers but is more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

So someone made a two player PC version of Space Alert?

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-lovers-in-a-dangerous-spacetime/2300-10679/