Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

chitoryu12 posted:

"The only difference between a bomb and an alarm clock is a bomb."

poo poo, what do you mean I can "stop being afraid of my smoke detector"?

I dunno, your smoke detector is radioactive. Was your house ever lived in my a Moslem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lemming posted:

What defense do the "well he should've known his rights!" people have when we're talking about a minor the police cuffed and took from school without telling his parents?

In high-impact situations like this, while unfortunate, an officer involved questioning may occur to protect you and your loved ones. Given that you've never jacked up a fourteen year-old on some bullshit charges you really have no right to judge and or comment.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ravenfood posted:

Regardless of any other factors (like how loving stupid the cops were here) interrogating a kid without parents or counsel present is just unacceptable. Under any circumstances.

NO TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9DijlVkIGA&t=14s

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 16, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was in a somewhat similar situation in high school, albeit without any physical evidence to help get me suspended. I was sitting at an unfamiliar lunch table and someone mentioned I think a guy going nuts over relationship drama or some poo poo (barely even remember now) and I jokingly said "So I guess we can find him by just following the sounds of explosions in the distance?" Apparently someone heard nothing but "explosion" and decided to report me as having made a bomb threat.

I didn't have a goddamn clue what was going on until I was seated in front of an administrator. I just suddenly got called out of class and had my backpack, locker, and body searched by the resource officer. I tried to explain the misunderstanding, but the guy barely gave two shits about whether or not I was telling the truth. The only thing that likely stopped me from getting some kind of punishment (apart from being an unthreatening white kid with no contraband, rather than a Muslim with electronics) was when he called my mom to explain that I was in trouble and omitted my explanation of what happened in favor of just reading the claims of what I said verbatim. When she found out that he wasn't telling my side of the story, she gave him an earful and threatened to come down to confront him personally. That got him to back off enough to just send me to class.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Toasticle posted:

None of these guards noticed shocking her was not having the desired effect of somehow making a mentally ill person compliant so they just keep shocking her, you don't think maybe they should have thought "Maybe shocking her isn't helping?".

When you're of below average IQ and all you have is a hammer...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jarmak posted:

This is a really stupid argument for everyone involved considering the only difference between a bomb and a homemade alarm clock is the addition of the explosive.

Look I think its time that we all come together as Americans and discuss clock control, the spread of clocks throughout the country is simply far too high.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 16, 2015

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Look I think its time that we all come together as Americans and discuss clock control, the spread of clocks throughout the country is simply far too high.

Arabic Numerals have corrupted our youth.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Billy Gnosis posted:

Arabic Numerals have corrupted our youth.

You either have roman numerals on your clock or you're against us.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Y'all are loving dumb, the point is both sides of the "do these wires look like a clock or a bomb" are stupid cause either would be the same. Also the "it's too small", cause it's really not.

There was no charge, that's why it's not a bomb, that's why it doesn't look like a bomb.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Jarmak posted:

This is a really stupid argument for everyone involved considering the only difference between a bomb and a homemade alarm clock is the addition of the explosive.

Is this loving guy for real? Seriously?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Y'all are loving dumb, the point is both sides of the "do these wires look like a clock or a bomb" are stupid cause either would be the same. Also the "it's too small", cause it's really not.

There was no charge, that's why it's not a bomb, that's why it doesn't look like a bomb.

So we agree that no reasonable person would think that is a bomb?
Because you sure sounded like Helen Lovejoy.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
The one ray of sunshine is that, almost universally, the 14 year old is being lauded by the developed portion of the USA, with invites from NASA, MIT, the President, etc. His school and the police are the butt of the jokes, and hopefully the opportunities that he gets out of this make up for the hassle in his hometown.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Look! It's a bomb not-bomb! I'm sure any reasonable person would think all those weird wires and plastic things could be confused with being a bomb.

off from some imgur post: http://imgur.com/gallery/bXnhXpK

edit: note how those pieces correspond with the stuff Ahmed used to make his bomb clock.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 16, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can imagine Jamark taking the cover off a smoke detector in his house and seeing the wires and blinking light inside.

"OH MY GOD, SOMEONE PLANTED A BOMB ON MY WALL!" he screams as he falls off the ladder. He would later justify his injuries to his wife as "Look, the only difference between that thing and a bomb is the addition of explosives."

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
It's become quite clear that efforts to "reform" police departments are futile, because it's impossible to uphold and protect the "order" of a racist system without inflicting racist violence on people. Body cameras have not led to a decrease in use of deadly force (San Diego actually saw an increase), "community dialog" has accomplished nothing, and the only thing left is to disarm and disband the police force. If you've got a problem with that you're probably a middle-class white person who is a complicit beneficiary of violent white supremacy, more concerned with protecting your property from ~*CRIME*~ (at record lows) and not having to suffer the sight of homeless people in your city than you are with protecting human life.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jarmak posted:

the weird thing is he was arrested and interrogated for the crime of bringing something that someone else could mistake for a bomb, even though nobody who saw it ever interpreted it as a bomb. there was just the possibility that someone, somewhere, might think it was dangerous. given how cops often shoot people for holding cell phones in a threatening manner i can interpret this as progress

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The kid is just a proxy for the real mastermind: Flava Flav.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jarmak posted:

This is a technically correct statement that you worded really poorly. I agree with you in principle though, it's the explosive that makes something look like an explosive device, rather than just a device.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 16, 2015

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Since in America it's normal to plaster a child's full name complete with pictures of him handcuffed on the front pages when reporting suspected crime, this kid, no matter what he did, is going to be branded a terrorist by other kids. Now not even a school transfer is going to change that - which, by the way, he's doing. Though chances are that he was already being called a terrorist because his last name is Mohamed and he is of middle-eastern descent.

I just hope Ahmed won't end up like that other kid who got handcuffed in school for drugs I think it was (?) who later killed himself pretty much because of the humiliating arrest in front of the school cafetaria.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

On the flip side if he survives high school he'll be able to convert this into one hell of a scholarship. Silver linings and all that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Luckily at least short term like everyone is telling him to keep going.

He got an invite to Facebook and the White House off of those racists.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Trogdos! posted:

Since in America it's normal to plaster a child's full name complete with pictures of him handcuffed on the front pages when reporting suspected crime, this kid, no matter what he did, is going to be branded a terrorist by other kids. Now not even a school transfer is going to change that - which, by the way, he's doing. Though chances are that he was already being called a terrorist because his last name is Mohamed and he is of middle-eastern descent.

I just hope Ahmed won't end up like that other kid who got handcuffed in school for drugs I think it was (?) who later killed himself pretty much because of the humiliating arrest in front of the school cafetaria.

It was his family which gave his name and the photo in handcuffs. I believe his sister was the one who first tweeted the nasa photo.
And no, they used to power of social media properly, and with the exception of a few assholes who would jave judged him for being brown with an islamic name, the response to him is going to be "wow, I can't believe what they did to you."

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
https://mobile.twitter.com/cmdr_hadfield/status/644177398553030656

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bob James posted:

The kid is just a proxy for the real mastermind: Flava Flav.

First good post in this thread.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

nm posted:

It was his family which gave his name and the photo in handcuffs. I believe his sister was the one who first tweeted the nasa photo.
And no, they used to power of social media properly, and with the exception of a few assholes who would jave judged him for being brown with an islamic name, the response to him is going to be "wow, I can't believe what they did to you."

Fine. But I maintain that in America it's normal to give out full names of arrested suspects before trial, while to my knowledge in Europe that happens only in high-profile cases and the norm is to publish the name only after sentencing, and not at all if the sentenced is a juvenile. I think it's hosed up how the press can ruin a person's life, good luck finding a job if googling your name brings up criminal charges even if they were dropped.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trogdos! posted:

Fine. But I maintain that in America it's normal to give out full names of arrested suspects before trial, while to my knowledge in Europe that happens only in high-profile cases and the norm is to publish the name only after sentencing, and not at all if the sentenced is a juvenile. I think it's hosed up how the press can ruin a person's life, good luck finding a job if googling your name brings up criminal charges even if they were dropped.

Good luck to any future employers in their quest to google "Ahmed Mohamed" and find anything relevant. Kid might as well be named John Smith.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Everblight posted:

Good luck to any future employers in their quest to google "Ahmed Mohamed" and find anything relevant. Kid might as well be named John Smith.

Maybe this would happen if the incident didn't suddenly become a national sensation to the point where the President of the United States himself didn't comment on it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Trogdos! posted:

It is common place for American police to disclose the names of adult suspects. They are not shielded by juvenile justice laws.

It is not particularly common for them to list the names of juveniles, unless it's some sort major felony like murder and will be tried as an adult.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaTech/status/644225797302169601

Think he's gonna be alright.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Trogdos! posted:

I agree, but this is not the case to hang your hat on as he and his family clearly wanted his name out there.
"Bad poo poo happens to muslim boy with 'bomb'" wouldn't have resulted in any traction. He'd be suspended and still have a charge hanging over his head. "Bad poo poo happened to ahmed and here's all the cool poo poo he does and a picture" is hard to ignore.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Agrajag posted:

Look! It's a bomb not-bomb! I'm sure any reasonable person would think all those weird wires and plastic things could be confused with being a bomb.

off from some imgur post: http://imgur.com/gallery/bXnhXpK

edit: note how those pieces correspond with the stuff Ahmed used to make his bomb clock.

freetronics, as in free from the corrupting influence of infidels. loving reported you jihadist scum

Jarmak posted:

wires + explosive material = bomb! detonator? why the gently caress would i need that? :shepface:

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Condiv posted:

wires + explosive material = bomb! detonator? why the gently caress would i need that? :shepface:

My dick could be considered a bomb if it was attached to the necessary parts.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It helps that he's a beanpole with glasses and a NASA shirt, aka the platonic ideal of a young geeky kid. If he had a terrible dirtstache and a semi offensive tshirt he'd be hung out to dry.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
It's okay to think its a bomb. There are people who only know what bombs look like based on Bruce Willis movies. It is ok to take precautions.

It is not ok to handcuff a nonviolent 14 year old, nor is it ok to suspend a kid for what amounts to a science project.

This is called middle ground, and it shouldn't be that hard to reach amongst both sides of this argument.

I am not going to say this whole thing was due to his race on a conscious level, but it would be silly to say it didn't impact the events in some way.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Ahmed's family definitely did a good job of preventing the school officials/police department from framing the narrative, by getting his story out there first.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

7c Nickel posted:

It helps that he's a beanpole with glasses and a NASA shirt, aka the platonic ideal of a young geeky kid. If he had a terrible dirtstache and a semi offensive tshirt he'd be hung out to dry.

a shirt from the national arabic serial-killing association? no wonder they knew he was a threat!

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Cole posted:

It's okay to think its a bomb. There are people who only know what bombs look like based on Bruce Willis movies. It is ok to take precautions.

They didn't think it was. The school was not evacuated, so they knew it was harmless, but wanted to bust his balls.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Spun Dog posted:

They didn't think it was. The school was not evacuated, so they knew it was harmless, but wanted to bust his balls.

Which, I agree, doesn't make much sense.

But luckily this whole thing probably will backfire on islamophobists. This kid will probably be doing pretty well in life after all of this exposure. At least for the immediate future.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Toasticle posted:

Somehow people other than the prison guards from the cop who initially arrested her to her being sent to a hospital then to jail were all able to move her without incident.
Way to make it obvious you don't know anything about the situation.
Her initial arrest:

quote:

Officer Hurley determined that she had probable cause to take custody of Ms. McKenna for purposes of a Mental Health Evaluation. A short while later Officer Hurley located Ms. McKenna as she walked near a Home Depot store. Officer Hurley stopped Ms. McKenna who stated that "they were trying to kill her." Officer Hurley explained that she was concerned about Ms. McKenna's welfare. By this time Officer Johnson was also present. Ms. McKenna asked if she was going to be arrested and began to walk away. Officer Hurley took Ms. McKenna's left arm and told her she was not free to leave. Officer Johnson had hold of Ms. McKenna's right arm. Ms. McKenna began to fight with the officers. Officer Johnson attempted an arm bar on Ms. McKenna and employed closed fist strikes to the back of Ms. McKenna's thigh in an effort to have Ms. McKenna sit down. Despite Officer Hurley's request that she stop resisting, Ms. McKenna continued to fight. Officer Johnson deployed OC (pepper spray) but it had no effect on Ms. McKenna. Ms. McKenna then punched Officer Johnson in the face and spun away coming out of her shirt in the process. She then ran out into traffic while naked from the waist up.
Officers pursuing in their cruisers followed her to the back of the Home Depot. By this time two additional officers arrived and assisted in trying to control Ms. McKenna. When Officer Gordon arrived she saw officers trying to hold Ms. McKenna down on the ground. Officer Gordon heard Officer Powers asking Ms. McKenna to stop resisting. Ms. McKenna was attempting to pull her hands out of her handcuffs. Officer Powers had a hold of Ms. McKenna's ankles and Officer Gordon placed a hobble around them. Officer Gernatt arrived and assisted in trying to control Ms. McKenna. Due to Ms. McKenna's continuing struggle to escape from the handcuffs, Officer Gordon put a second set of handcuffs on Ms. McKenna above the first set. Officer Riley also assisted in trying to subdue Ms. McKenna. Ms. McKenna continued kicking and violently struggling to break free of the restraints.

In order to avoid the possibility of positional asphyxiation, as well as to get Ms. McKenna's exposed body off of the cold ground, the officers moved Ms. McKenna to a seated position against a fence. The officers then retrieved a blanket and covered Ms. McKenna. While Officers Leach and Johnson attempted to stop Ms. McKenna from struggling against the handcuffs she resumed kicking her legs. Then, using her toes for leverage, Ms. McKenna slumped down and pushed herself away from the fence and scooted across the ground causing her pants to come down past her thighs. Officer Stowe replaced the blanket over Ms. McKenna but the officers were unable to stop her from moving and inching across the ground. Officer Stowe observed Officer Gordon struggling to prevent Ms. McKenna from banging her head on the ground. He then joined in the efforts to control Ms. McKenna. The officers could hold the blanket on her for approximately a minute before she would push herself further along the ground and out from under the blanket. During this portion of the struggle Ms. McKenna kept attempting to bite the blanket. The officers told Ms. McKenna that a medic was on the way to wash the pepper spray off but she remained uncooperative.

The officers decided to carry Ms. McKenna to a cruiser to wait for the ambulance. As the officers carried Ms. McKenna she attempted to bite Officer Bing. She also made a sound consistent with the gathering of saliva in her mouth. The officers placed a spit sock over Ms. McKenna's head to prevent her from biting and spitting. Ms. McKenna began chewing on the spit sock and attempted to kick the officers. At that point, given Ms. McKenna's level of resistance, the officers determined that they could not get her safely into the cruiser. Since they could now hear the ambulance coming, the officers set Ms. McKenna down on the ground with the blanket over her. Officer Gordon then spoke to Ms. McKenna in a quiet voice. She told Ms. McKenna that they were trying to help her and that she needed to stop struggling so she would not hurt herself. Ms. McKenna began screaming that the police were raping her. She continued to struggle and would not stay still.

At the hospital:

quote:

When they arrived at the emergency room Ms. McKenna was still trying to bite through the spit sock. She pushed her entire upper torso off of the stretcher and to the side. She continued to struggle and push herself off of the stretcher by wriggling under the straps.
Officer Gordon, with the assistance of Officer Riley, was able to get both sets of handcuffs off of Ms. McKenna. However, fearing that the hospital restraints might not be enough to hold Ms. McKenna, the nurse asked the officers to put the handcuffs back on her. The Officers then handcuffed Ms. McKenna to the bed frame on each side. Throughout this process Ms. McKenna continued to struggle, scream and whip her head around.

Dr. Herrington came in and attempted to speak to Ms. McKenna regarding her condition. Ms. McKenna continued screaming and trying to yank her hands out of the restraints. She would sit up suddenly and struggle against the restraints. Each time the nurse came in to provide medical assistance Officers Gordon and Young had to hold Ms. McKenna's arms down to prevent her from hurting herself or the nurse. At one point, after Ms. McKenna continued screaming and resisting a nurse's efforts to take a urine sample, it took four officers, Hurley,
Johnson, Young and Gordon to hold her down despite the restraints and handcuffs. Ms. McKenna repeatedly shook off the blanket covering her body.

Later, nurses came in to take a chest x-ray and Ms. McKenna attempted to turn the bed over by rocking it back and forth from rail to rail. She was able to move the bed several feet before officers could secure the brake on the bed. They again held her down while a nurse took a blood sample and put an IV into Ms. McKenna's arm. The nurse subsequently wrapped up the IV to prevent Ms. McKenna from pulling it out. Alexandria Hospital records describe Ms. McKenna's behavior as " forcefully fighting against all people in the room; very strong use of all extremities; attempting to bite people who are near; says she will be killed; actually answers some questions while fighting; persistent, deliberate attempts to get untied x 15 min until given IM Haldol.
On the morning of January 21, 2015, Ms. McKenna was "extremely paranoid." She became uncooperative and began fighting with staff. She kicked, bit, scratched and spat upon male staff members. She also urinated on the bed declaring "I have herpes and I don't want you'll to get it, but I'm not afraid to give it to you." A "Code Strong" was called. Nurses summoned hospital security. Security staff arrived and strapped Ms. McKenna to a "transfer board" and placed her in a "quiet room."

There are further records of her being combative with the jail staff after she was arrested, and having to again be forcibly restrained from hurting herself or others, but I think you get the picture: her entire interaction with the police and medical professionals was one long "incident."

Toasticle posted:

They weren't. They kept a schizophrenic alone in a cell for 8(?) days and when they did show up they did so in a way a that fulfills a schizophrenics nightmare of 'them' coming for her. And let me know how not moving her that instant would bring the "Entire detention system" to a halt because she was there for 8.5 days. I'm going to go out on a limb and say someone along the line would be willing to wait for a mentally ill patient to be seen by a doctor or nurse because they were in the middle of an episode.

Do you really think its unreasonable for anyone involved to have said "Ok, she's losing it, maybe we need to back off until this can be brought under control". Or would that bring the entire jail to standstill. Which is the point made over and over and over that keeps getting ignored. Why the gently caress is escalating the the situation always the answer and why is it ok instead of trying to, I dunno, not zapping and wrestling a crazy women until shes dead?
Are you seriously suggesting that they should have housed a fighting, spitting, kicking, biting inmate with the rest of the prisoners? According to my understanding of the timeline in the report, she was held for 14 days until they could arrange for her transfer to a facility that could hospitalize her. Again, they sent in one normal deputy to try to get her to cooperate without using force. The SERT (the guys in tyvek suits) were only called in when she started fighting him. She had fought every previous attempt to transport her, so there is no indication that your "wait and see" approach would have worked, or would have worked in a timely fashion. Furthermore, there was no reason to believe, based on her history, that she was going to keel over and die from another fight.

Toasticle posted:

Of course you'd pick aviation. Yes if a pilot does everything correctly but a mechanical failure causes a crash of course its a valid excuse but even in that situation you'd expect a pilot to at least try to get things under control and not just "Well everything seems to be going wrong but I'll just keep following orders".
Well, it is the field I have the most experience with. And you're confusing the latitude pilots are given in emergencies with normal procedures. If a mechanic decides to ignore the tech order and do some shade-tree repairs with his homemade tool, the fact that he thought it would be safer for the passengers than going by the book won't save him.

Lemming posted:

In the report you yourself just linked, which you clearly didn't very much of, there was this quote:

They specifically call out the taser as being a factor in her death. Dumbass.

I don't think the cops went in there with the intent of killing her and I don't think anybody here has argued that at any point. However, they did kill her, and it was extremely unnecessary and in my opinion, negligent, because instead of trying to treat her like a mentally ill woman who needed help, they treated her like a rational violent criminal.
loving :lol: at you of all people trying to call someone out for not reading. There's a reason it says "associated with" rather than "caused by," and that the "Manner of Death" is listed as "Accident" rather than "Homicide." The sheriffs didn't kill her.

The passage directly above that is: "The decedent was in a state of profound agitation/psychosis during the extraction and the use of physical restraint with or without CED use is associated with sudden death. Excited delirium occurs in the setting of stimulant drug abuse, psychiatric disease, psychiatric drug withdrawal and metabolic disorders and is characterized by psychosis and agitation and is often associated with combativeness and elevated body temperature. (Emphasis added)" Way to completely ignore context.

(Also, holy poo poo, the pathologist's name is "Jocelyn Posthumus." Can't make this stuff up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jarmak posted:

Why it's almost as if a critical aspect of a bomb is that it can explode, making your distinction stupidly obvious and in no need of being said :monocle:

• Locked thread