Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

It already won Outstanding Interactive Program and I do not think its going to win the other ones its nominated for due to Colbert Report ending.

I'm betting with Letterman ending, that he ends up with the Emmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chand0X posted:

I'm betting with Letterman ending, that he ends up with the Emmy.

The two of them ending might cause a split vote and John sneaks in.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So does he talk about Corbyn at all?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think the news dropped too late for that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

The two of them ending might cause a split vote and John sneaks in.
See: Jeff Daniels winning for season 1 of The Newsroom over Kevin Spacey and Bryan Cranston.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When did Florida become the new New Jersey?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SlothfulCobra posted:

new jersey is florida jr since forever

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I really can not believe we are in a world where New Orleans us using kickstarter to fund its Public Defender Office is a serious sentence and not a joke.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only positive is that the fund shot up a bunch since the episode aired, which it probably wouldn't have. It's not much of a positive though, I'll agree.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

bobkatt013 posted:

I really can not believe we are in a world where New Orleans us using kickstarter to fund its Public Defender Office is a serious sentence and not a joke.

It's still a joke, it's just that it's actually happening.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only positive is that the fund shot up a bunch since the episode aired, which it probably wouldn't have. It's not much of a positive though, I'll agree.

Yep which is awesome as I have a family member who works there.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

SlothfulCobra posted:

U ever been to Florida mate? Its fuckin poo poo

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Still better then Texas. :smith:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Orange County, where Larry Thompson was jailed, has just eliminated the practice of jailing people who can't pay fines. They were the last county in Florida still issuing arrest warrants for that.

Over 21,000 arrest orders were quashed today.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-orange-arrests-collections-changes-20150916-story.html

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

That is good news. I like hearing something positive come out of the increasingly depressing stories the show is featuring.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zero One posted:

Orange County, where Larry Thompson was jailed, has just eliminated the practice of jailing people who can't pay fines. They were the last county in Florida still issuing arrest warrants for that.

Over 21,000 arrest orders were quashed today.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-orange-arrests-collections-changes-20150916-story.html

I have to wonder how it went on so long with nobody saying "hey guys, isn't this basically like having debtors' prisons?"

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

raditts posted:

I have to wonder how it went on so long with nobody saying "hey guys, isn't this basically like having debtors' prisons?"

Answer: Its Florida. :shepicide:

Now I wonder what it looks like in Texas.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Well...

Klaus88 posted:

Answer: Its Florida. :shepicide:

Now I wonder what it looks like in Texas.

OK... I'd love to just hand-waive this with "it's Florida," but... well, here's the thing: this affects mostly the poor, and without looking at the data, I'm going to go out on a rickety limb here and just take a wild guess that it also mostly affects minorities. And that, folks, is why it went on so long with nobody saying, "Hey guys, isn't this basically like having a debtors' prison."

It's not just Florida, either. Decent people, even Goons, tend to care about the problems faced by minorities and the poor, especially if it appears that the local government is kicking people while they're down. Most of us hear about this and think, "That's unfair! I care about this! This has enraged me!!" Seven minutes later, though, most of us forget about it, because it doesn't affect us.

I mean, this exact thing was in the news recently, but not in Florida--in St. Louis County (aka Ferguson). It was the same thing, right down to the comparisons to debtor's prisons. That this exists should surprise nobody, really.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 18, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
It ain't basically like debtor's prisons, it is debtor's prison.

That judge going YOU WANNA TAKE IT OUTSIDE I WILL FIGHT YOU IRL was unbelievable, but holy poo poo that the defender didn't miss a beat and lept into the fight head-first. That's the guy I want representing me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

pwn posted:

It ain't basically like debtor's prisons, it is debtor's prison.

That judge going YOU WANNA TAKE IT OUTSIDE I WILL FIGHT YOU IRL was unbelievable, but holy poo poo that the defender didn't miss a beat and lept into the fight head-first. That's the guy I want representing me.

Yea the judge pulling a "FIGHT ME BRO" was funny but the defender going "ALRIGHT I WILL" was just gold.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I mean what's the rate though? If I could go to prison and get rid of my student loans I'd strongly consider it depending.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

IRQ posted:

I mean what's the rate though? If I could go to prison and get rid of my student loans I'd strongly consider it depending.

There's not even any utility to it though. Let's say you have a degree and they take the expected income from a job in your field and use that to determine your sentence. They then put you away for X amount of years for... What, exactly? You're now out of the workforce and will contribute nothing, will cost money to incarcerate and depending on the length of your stay it's likely you're quite damaged when you get out. There is literally no gain from imprisoning people for debt.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Demiurge4 posted:

There's not even any utility to it though. Let's say you have a degree and they take the expected income from a job in your field and use that to determine your sentence. They then put you away for X amount of years for... What, exactly? You're now out of the workforce and will contribute nothing, will cost money to incarcerate and depending on the length of your stay it's likely you're quite damaged when you get out. There is literally no gain from imprisoning people for debt.

You took that entirely too seriously but yes that's why debtor's prison is stupid, along with drug prohibition.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Because, according to the article, the arrest orders were for failing to appear before the collections court and not for failing to pay their fines. That means this is less an issue of poor people being thrown in prison for not being able to pay their taxes than of people being arrested for breaking the law and willfully ignoring any and all attempts at enforcement.

The real victims are the people who were stupid enough to pay their parking tickets (or obey the law in the first place).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nominally they're not being imprisoned for being poor, they're being imprisoned for whatever offense that they can't pay the fine for. It's because the penal system is about inflicting suffering upon offenders, and if the offender lacks the capacity to suffer in the court-ordered way, they choose the next best option.

The actual finances of waiving the fine versus imprisonment have no bearing on the matter.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's because the penal system is about inflicting suffering upon offenders,

If fines are ineffective to discourage antisocial behavior because offenders cannot (or will not) pay them, how else do you prevent offenders from committing further antisocial acts?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Tonight is a repeat, right?
I mean this is old news but I've never heard these jokes?

e: I must have missed the first five minutes first time around, now I recognize this.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 21, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oliver is back this SUnday right? Please tell me he is. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/724c202a72c24794bb292b65af36e892/swiss-statement-criminal-investigation-sepp-blatter For the love of Christ between the pig loving PM and this development, this is his best week ever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Burkion posted:

Oliver is back this SUnday right? Please tell me he is. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/724c202a72c24794bb292b65af36e892/swiss-statement-criminal-investigation-sepp-blatter For the love of Christ between the pig loving PM and this development, this is his best week ever.

Yes he is back and if only we could get a bugle.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes he is back and if only we could get a bugle.

I dont know what the gently caress that is

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Austrian mook posted:

Some podcast.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

If you like John Oliver I highly suggest you start listening to the Bugle podcast.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

If you like John Oliver I highly suggest you start listening to the Bugle podcast.

Or don't since he is never present anymore! :ghost:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Blatter under official investigation, Pope Francis, Boehner resigns...dude's gonna need 45 minutes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Blatter under official investigation, Pope Francis, Boehner resigns...dude's gonna need 45 minutes.

Don't forget the AIDS drug scumbag.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DivisionPost posted:

Don't forget the pig loving

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Don't forget the AIDS drug scumbag.

I wouldn't be surprised if they let that lie for a week to make it a main story next week.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they let that lie for a week to make it a main story next week.

For profit healthcare being the most hosed up thing ever could fuel at least a year of shows without breaking a sweat so yeah.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's also the massive VW emissions scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They have a million things to fill a ten minute slot. Stick all the categories on the wheel of fortune and spin it until time runs out.

• Locked thread