Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Pakled posted:

From fans/students/alumni, yes. The stupidity of football fans knows no bounds.

Also, according to the report, the professor did offer the player an opportunity to do since extra credit to bring their grade up after Flood contacted them, but the player either didn't do it or didn't do it well enough to pass.

Rutgers doesn't have fans only enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
As a professor I'm trying to think exactly how long I would laugh at a coach who tried to pull that poo poo before calling my department chair, dean, and legal counsel.

Props to this professor for stringing him along to maximize the laughs.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I would've had him meet me in some shady motel and then when he showed up there'd be someone from the NCAA there just waiting to do a Chris Hansen-style bust.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
The enemies of rutgers athletics struck a huge blow today, they have an exceptionally strong reach.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

When the heck is the NCAA going to carry out their God Given Duty to shut down the UNC athletics department for a period of at least 3 years?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Pakled posted:

From fans/students/alumni, yes. The stupidity of football fans knows no bounds.

Also, according to the report, the professor did offer the player an opportunity to do since extra credit to bring their grade up after Flood contacted them, but the player either didn't do it or didn't do it well enough to pass.

I haven't been following Rutgers football very closely, but I didn't think that Rutgers fans were all too satisfied with Flood. This gives the university a chance to fire him with cause and avoid a buyout and take a chance on another coach.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

elentar posted:

As a professor I'm trying to think exactly how long I would laugh at a coach who tried to pull that poo poo before calling my department chair, dean, and legal counsel.

Props to this professor for stringing him along to maximize the laughs.

I'm a prof too and I for sure would not allow for another assignment or any nonsense like that.

I think the weird public library meeting is about as far as I would go, assuming it's quick walking distance from my office.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I really can't understand how Kyle Flood still has a job. Other than paying players, trying to get their grades changed is like rule #1 of what you should never, ever, ever do as a coach.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

rebel1608 posted:

I really can't understand how Kyle Flood still has a job. Other than paying players, trying to get their grades changed is like rule #1 of what you should never, ever, ever do as a coach.

They are probably trying to find a way with cause to fire him

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

VDay posted:

I would've had him meet me in some shady motel and then when he showed up there'd be someone from the NCAA there just waiting to do a Chris Hansen-style bust.

You should meet in a parking garage, so he can be silhouetted by the car headlights, just like the movies.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MindlessHavok posted:

I mean it's the same as Rocky Top right? Everyone else hates that song but UT fans love it and we play it as much as possible and part of that is because it annoys the poo poo out of everyone.

The most surprisingly enjoyable thing about going to a Tennessee game last year was "Third down for what!!!!!". Every. Single. Possession.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Adun posted:

The most surprisingly enjoyable thing about going to a Tennessee game last year was "Third down for what!!!!!". Every. Single. Possession.

I probably heard Third Down for What 40+ times on Saturday. poo poo gets old.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Quandary posted:

I probably heard Third Down for What 40+ times on Saturday. poo poo gets old.

as opposed to BOOMER SOONER BOOMER SOONER BOOMER :suicide:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

go3 posted:

It is truly unbelievable how many times the band plays it per game.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I would gladly hear Rocky Top once a day for the rest of my life rather than sit next to Oklahoma's band

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Raku posted:

I would gladly hear Rocky Top once a day for the rest of my life rather than sit next to Oklahoma's band

moral victory

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Another Arkansas receiver (Cody Hollister) with a broken foot. That makes three broken feet in the last month on the team.

Our receivers are cursed.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Aubergine Mage posted:

Our receivers are cursed.

#karma

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

go3 posted:

Yeah but I like that song. It's a good song.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

rebel1608 posted:

The NCAA will absolutely get involved; this is Rutgers trying to get out ahead of it and soften the blow. You can't gently caress with a player's grades.

No they won't, he didn't actually change anything.

I mean clearly he deserves to be fired a thousand times over, but that's besides the point.

rebel1608 posted:

Our AD is somehow worse than Flood.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Kim Jong Il posted:

No they won't, he didn't actually change anything.

Surely the attempt itself is a violation

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't think they care if you succeed, only that they can prove you tried.

It would be dumb as gently caress otherwise.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

rebel1608 posted:

Surely the attempt itself is a violation

It's not a violation to cover up pedophilia, what do you think. Of course, the NCAA does have a blanket "we can punish whatever we want clause", but clearly gave up that responsibility with the threat of a PSU lawsuit.

Just checked the rulebook. Obviously a lot of it has to do with amateurism. Institutions have the responsibility not to play ineligible players. As far as I can tell, there's no NCAA bylaw against what Flood did directly. It's against university policy and colossally stupid of course. There's also the blanket clause that coaches have to promote an atmosphere of compliance, but there's no indication of any direct rule violation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is a dumb comparison as the peso thing at least has the argument it is not directly football related. This is the exact opposite. Don't let your homerism blind ya.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
How much could sanctions hurt Rutgers at this point anyway?

I'm sure if they hit Rutgers with anything they'd likely never feel the effect anyway, like a bowl ban. I feel pretty sure they're going to hit Flood with a nice 4-5 year show cause if they open an investigation, though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't imagine that the NCAA, literally founded to create standards for player eligibility, wouldn't have a rule about coaches trying to get player's grades changed so they can be eligible to play.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Sure thing Coach Saban, A+ for every player, yes sir, oh and you want me to wash your car? Of course sir. I'll get right on it. You look very handsome tonight.

Nah, I can't see how that would be a necessary rule in any way

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm sure if they hit Rutgers with anything they'd likely never feel the effect anyway, like a bowl ban. I feel pretty sure they're going to hit Flood with a nice 4-5 year show cause if they open an investigation, though.

The jackbooted thugs at the NCAA won't let New York see their boys play in the Pinstripe Bowl

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not a violation to cover up pedophilia, what do you think.

Hahahahaha are you loving serious?

e: to be clear about this, I think the NCAA was wrong to reinstate JoePa's wins and remove all the other sanctions from Penn State, but I can see the argument that it was none of their business what went on there. Your goddamn dumbass coach tried to change a player's grade, and there is no argument whatsoever to be made that this is not the NCAA's business.

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 17, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not a violation to cover up pedophilia, what do you think. Of course, the NCAA does have a blanket "we can punish whatever we want clause", but clearly gave up that responsibility with the threat of a PSU lawsuit.

Just checked the rulebook. Obviously a lot of it has to do with amateurism. Institutions have the responsibility not to play ineligible players. As far as I can tell, there's no NCAA bylaw against what Flood did directly. It's against university policy and colossally stupid of course. There's also the blanket clause that coaches have to promote an atmosphere of compliance, but there's no indication of any direct rule violation.

I think you maybe need to step back from this one a bit...

The idea that the NCAA-the governing body that thinks getting free cancer medicine means you're not an amateur anymore-is just going to be fine with a head coach attempting to get a player's grade changed in order to make him eligible and then covering it up and will just shrug and say "Not our problem" is hilarious.

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 17, 2015

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The whole thing was clearly planted by a nefarious player and scheming professor, this goes deeper than anything you can imagine.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

believe it or not, Rutgers has somehow gone bowling 4 straight years, last year they trounced UNC.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

believe it or not, Rutgers has somehow gone bowling 4 straight years, last year they trounced UNC.

Truly a game that emphasized the student in student athlete

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, the right proper way to do it is to have a bunch of classes where showing up to half the classes guarantees you a B+ and the final is open book open everything hell even ask the teacher if you're stumped! with half the grade on the final being "what did you learn most from this class"

that's the SEC way :911:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

vyst posted:

You can believe your truth and I'll believe mine. Based on everything I've heard and read about Mac he's a character first coach.

Well UF and NCAAF have a long and clean record of championing human character over money and football so I'll be sure to give this guy the benefit of the doubt

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Crotch Bat posted:

We've missed like one bowl in the past decade.

Sash! posted:

I can't imagine that the NCAA, literally founded to create standards for player eligibility, wouldn't have a rule about coaches trying to get player's grades changed so they can be eligible to play.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Sure thing Coach Saban, A+ for every player, yes sir, oh and you want me to wash your car? Of course sir. I'll get right on it. You look very handsome tonight.

Nah, I can't see how that would be a necessary rule in any way

You guys realize I wasn't passing judgment, just reading through the rule book, and said they in theory had a few vague options right? I hate Kyle Flood and want him gone by any means necessary. By all means read through the bylaws, they're online available to everyone. What do you suggest that he broke?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CraigK posted:

Yeah, the right proper way to do it is to have a bunch of classes where showing up to half the classes guarantees you a B+ and the final is open book open everything hell even ask the teacher if you're stumped! with half the grade on the final being "what did you learn most from this class"

that's the SEC way :911:

Tyler Wilson making academic all-conference with like a 2.8 in Sports Management is the most SEC thing I've ever seen.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Hey... Hey guys.

It's gameday :3:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tyler Wilson making academic all-conference with like a 2.8 in Sports Management is the most SEC thing I've ever seen.

Georgia_tech_student_3.8gpa_rocket_science_major.jpg is a great picture that I wish I had saved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pfff rocket science is like the easiest science. All the hard parts were taken care of by dead Russians and Germans.

• Locked thread