Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Mantis thing in 4 was just a fun easter egg/cameo and should really only be seen as such.

V goes a bit overboard with his powers though considering we know that he dies after getting rused by controller ports and his best offense is throwing a statue at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Aurain posted:

The Mantis thing in 4 was just a fun easter egg/cameo and should really only be seen as such.

V goes a bit overboard with his powers though considering we know that he dies after getting rused by controller ports and his best offense is throwing a statue at you.

You can't pilot mecha with your mind once you've hit puberty. This is well established.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also it's important to remember that Sahelanthropus was partially functional. He didn't have to telekinetically move the entire thing, he just needed to fill in for the systems that didn't work right, like presumably balancing upright.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Plus, everyone knows redheads are good with props.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Re: Nukes, I've been aggressively loving with people who had them and have yet to explode.

Half the time though it's because I manage to steal them, but after the first jitters, I'm extremely uncaring about their supposed deterrent effect, I'll be sure to let you guys know if I actually DO explode at some point though!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

ZoninSilver posted:

Re: Nukes, I've been aggressively loving with people who had them and have yet to explode.

Half the time though it's because I manage to steal them, but after the first jitters, I'm extremely uncaring about their supposed deterrent effect, I'll be sure to let you guys know if I actually DO explode at some point though!

I'm dumb - how do I steal them? I can't work it out.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think that the guy who says it's telephone is right, if FOBs could be nuked it'd have happened and been put on a video by now. Nukes are basically just there to attract high-level players like flies and keep people who wouldn't even get past the first platform of your base anyway from invading you and locking out the good people.

iGestalt posted:

I'm dumb - how do I steal them? I can't work it out.
Invade the Command Platform and they're literally just sitting next to the helipad on Deck 1 to be Fultoned.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Nakar posted:

I think that the guy who says it's telephone is right, if FOBs could be nuked it'd have happened and been put on a video by now. Nukes are basically just there to attract high-level players like flies and keep people who wouldn't even get past the first platform of your base anyway from invading you and locking out the good people.

Invade the Command Platform and they're literally just sitting next to the helipad on Deck 1 to be Fultoned.

Oh. I must've run past it the one time I tried. Thanks!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They look like big boxes, they're basically the green nuke cylinders in a metal framework. They don't look much like shipping containers but they operate in exactly the same way.

And yes, as long as you Fulton one out, the owner's SOL even if you lose, just like stealing his Security Team. He can invade you to steal them back same as anything, assuming you did enough "damage" to count for retaliation, and PS4 players say if you steal 4 nukes and dive into the ocean that's not considered enough "damage" as long as you didn't kill/steal/break anything else.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Panzeh posted:

It's not the loss of Quiet herself, yeah, it's just the loss of having a sniper buddy at all that makes it dumb.

"So, Boss, we know you like having sniper cover, so we found a sniper on base- they call him the Shotmaker. Just select him from the buddy menu like you did Quiet."

Bam, there you go, with a tie in to boot.

Shotmaker/Shoot Gunner used a fuckign shotgun smdh this guy doesnt even know mg

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

otoh, sniper that uses a shotgun to snipe

he fires a single shell and all pellets each hit one person in the head over an area

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

I do miss having Quiet. Maybe Ocelot can break one of those borg tittyskulls for me and get her to pick up the slack.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's been forever since I played MGS4 but I thought it wasn't actually him but his echo or something. Could be completely wrong though.

They say it's his echo and then completely gently caress that up by having The Sorrow appear in ghost form after Mantis is sorta-banished back to the afterlife.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I haven't played MGS4 but they seemed to do a real disservice to Psycho Mantis. When he was on his deathbed in the first game he regrets he never used his powers for good, but when he comes back as a ghost in MGS4 he's still an evil rear end in a top hat. Chalk it up to unnecessary fan-service.

How was ghost mantis an evil rear end in a top hat? He just wanted to show his parlor tricks to his pal Snake one last time before passing on.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nail Rat posted:

No, Ocelot doesn't. See the end of MGS4. He hypnotized himself to believe Liquid was taking over his mind through the arm. It makes no sense and the Sorrow explanation would've worked better but Kojima just loves to throw in unneeded twists.

Liquid's ghostly presence was real in MGS2. They explain that Ocelot cut off the real arm because it was causing inconvenient takeovers, then put on the fake arm and hypnotized himself into believing it was real, which made the takeovers less of a problem...somehow. It's still pretty silly but it was all worth it to end up with a character who double-crosses even himself.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

To this day I have no idea if Ocelot had any type of long term plan to destroy the Patriots early on or if he just coasted from betrayal to betrayal as the mood took him

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Liquid's ghostly presence was real in MGS2. They explain that Ocelot cut off the real arm because it was causing inconvenient takeovers, then put on the fake arm and hypnotized himself into believing it was real, which made the takeovers less of a problem...somehow. It's still pretty silly but it was all worth it to end up with a character who double-crosses even himself.

What? As I remember, before MSG4, yes, the explanation was that it was Liquid's ghost, because of Ocelot's connection with spirits due to him being the son of the Sorrow. In MGS4 however I don't remember ever there being acknowledgement of BOTH Liquid's ghost and Ocelot's hypnotherapy. I thought MGS4 completely retconned it with the hypnotherapy.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What? As I remember, before MSG4, yes, the explanation was that it was Liquid's ghost, because of Ocelot's connection with spirits due to him being the son of the Sorrow. In MGS4 however I don't remember ever there being acknowledgement of BOTH Liquid's ghost and Ocelot's hypnotherapy. I thought MGS4 completely retconned it with the hypnotherapy.

I feel like with some of these things an unreliable narrator has to be taken into account as all the quadrouple spy stuff was from an info dump before big boss kills himself by hugging solid and rubbing his super fox die germs all over him.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Gruckles posted:

How was ghost mantis an evil rear end in a top hat? He just wanted to show his parlor tricks to his pal Snake one last time before passing on.

It's suggested (or even stated?) that his ghost was controlling Screaming Mantis, who was controlling the rest of the B&B Corps.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 17, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Aurain posted:

There's a possibility that Psycho Mantis isn't the same person as the Third Child since the name implies that there were two other children. Psycho Mantis might be one of the first two children with less powerful abilities.

Maybe we'll find out more in MGS6

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

A character who spends the entire series tricking everyone ends the final game with his greatest trick...

...tricking himself.

The one thing that this game sets up that makes literally no sense to me (I actually quite like the story) is that there is no reason for Liquid, after everything that happened, to ever trust Ocelot. He should loving hate his guts, how he ends up in foxhound with liquid, and working his way into the Shadow Moses Incident is beyond me. He's clearly extremely loyal to Big Boss.

Then again, maybe he tricked him too.

Broseph Brostar posted:

There's a possibility that Psycho Mantis isn't the same person as the Third Child since the name implies that there were two other children. Psycho Mantis might be one of the first two children with less powerful abilities.

Maybe we'll find out more in MGS6

Dude, he floats off into space with Liquid at the end. It's Psycho Mantis.

e: They can't say "hey that's Psycho Mantis" because that's his stupid Foxhound name and he won't join foxhound for like 15 years. They make the kid wear literally his entire outfit to make up for this fact.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 17, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'll look for it, but there's a line in MGS4 where it says that Ocelot replaces the arm because the real arm was causing "psychic imbalances." It's possible that the actual "takeover" stuff was completely fake from the beginning, but that being connected to Liquid just messed with his head because of psychic sensitivity or something, so he just replaced it and kept truckin'

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

It would have made more sense if Mantis showed up sans mask for all of MGSV and got the gas mask at the end of it, which curtails his powers but also prevents other people from manifesting their lust for vengeance through him.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I know he literally looks exactly like him and has similar powers, but its a strange codename

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Paul Zuvella posted:

A character who spends the entire series tricking everyone ends the final game with his greatest trick...

...tricking himself.

The one thing that this game sets up that makes literally no sense to me (I actually quite like the story) is that there is no reason for Liquid, after everything that happened, to ever trust Ocelot. He should loving hate his guts, how he ends up in foxhound with liquid, and working his way into the Shadow Moses Incident is beyond me. He's clearly extremely loyal to Big Boss.

Then again, maybe he tricked him too.

"Well OBVIOUSLY I was only pretending to work for Big Boss, but really I was trying to *whatever Liquid needs to hear to trust Ocelot*"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

I'll look for it, but there's a line in MGS4 where it says that Ocelot replaces the arm because the real arm was causing "psychic imbalances." It's possible that the actual "takeover" stuff was completely fake from the beginning, but that being connected to Liquid just messed with his head because of psychic sensitivity or something, so he just replaced it and kept truckin'

It's the the database that came with MGS4 IIRC.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Big Boss doesn't mention anything about the removal of the arm in MGS4. I think that information came from the encyclopedia.

Crappy Jack posted:

"Well OBVIOUSLY I was only pretending to work for Big Boss, but really I was trying to *whatever Liquid needs to hear to trust Ocelot*"

It's probably best just not to think too much about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've always been convinced that the whole thing was a performance on Ocelot's part from the very beginning. Not that he'd ever admit it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

I know he literally looks exactly like him and has similar powers, but its a strange codename

A strange codeman in a game where literally everyone has strange codenames.

Clearly something to raise an eyebrow over.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ah yep, it was from the MGS4 database. I have no idea where that stands in "the canon" though. It's funny either way, so I don't really mind if it was a ruse from the very beginning, but the database explanation also makes sense and gives them an easy out on stuff like "why didn't Cam Clarke come back for 4."

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

To this day I have no idea if Ocelot had any type of long term plan to destroy the Patriots early on or if he just coasted from betrayal to betrayal as the mood took him

Once again:

http://www.doctorshrugs.com/foxhound/comic.php?id=6

"drat but I'm gonna need a lot of this."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Ocelot's main motivation is to give grandiose speeches and torture people, and he will work for, or pretend to work for, anyone who will put him in that position. That's literally his goal.

edit: i.e. he's the Hideo Kojima self-insert character.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Poetry.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Snak posted:

I'm pretty sure Ocelot's main motivation is to give grandiose speeches and torture people, and he will work for, or pretend to work for, anyone who will put him in that position. That's literally his goal.

edit: i.e. he's the Hideo Kojima self-insert character.

No he's literally working for BigBoss in every game that takes place after 3.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Big Boss is the only person Ocelot never betrayed, including Ocelot

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
Is it possible to like Quiet's character without acknowledging the tits and rear end fan-service she was annoyingly engineered to be?
I don't know if it was a fluke accident or what but between her sprinkling a hint of joy into her and Venom's poo poo lives by having a water fight with him and her poignant exit but Kojima ended up giving her some really memorable scenes and her loss as a character is really notable in the end-game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

gredgie posted:

Is it possible to like Quiet's character without acknowledging the tits and rear end fan-service she was annoyingly engineered to be?
I don't know if it was a fluke accident or what but between her sprinkling a hint of joy into her and Venom's poo poo lives by having a water fight with him and her poignant exit but Kojima ended up giving her some really memorable scenes and her loss as a character is really notable in the end-game.

Yes it is. I don't give a poo poo about her fanservicey design, but I really like the bond between her and Venom and also how she constantly grates on Miller just by sticking around.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Danaru posted:

Big Boss is the only person Ocelot never betrayed, including Ocelot

His love for the Biggest Boss is too great.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Haven't played, but do they explain why Venom Snake gets a cool robo arm while Miller is stuck with crutches/peg leg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

whydirt posted:

Haven't played, but do they explain why Venom Snake gets a cool robo arm while Miller is stuck with crutches/peg leg?

Snake accepted Ocelot's prosthetic, but Miller refused because he "wants to feel the pain every day until he gets his revenge." Or something. It's in an early tape.

• Locked thread