Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
OK so against Tien Chi, if you use one of your capital-only Serpent Priests and 2 nature gems (as you can boost a spellcaster 'up' one and only one magic level using an extra gem to cast spells), you can cast a spell at Enchantment 5 called Foul Vapors, which basically covers the entire battlefield in poison (50% chance per square every turn, and the poison damage stacks).

This will positively ruin their day if you keep your priest at the back along with a few decent soldiers clumped around him on Guard Commander, with the understanding that you have about a 99% chance of losing them.

The only really solid counter to Foul Vapors for living nations is a spell called Serpent's Blessing, which is a) further up the research tree by miles (Enchantment 7), and b) a little difficult to cast, especially in the Late Era, although Tien Chi is one nation that can do it from their Spirit Masters, using an extra gem and a +1 Nature booster, or 4 communion slaves (communions are a really effective way for nations with Astral magic to make their mages better - you gain an effective level for the Masters with every 2/4/8/16/etc. slaves., but the slaves can't do anything other than soak fatigue).

Magic is kinda complicated but I'm sure someone is writing a massive effort post as I type this. The main thing to know is that there is tons of it, it's one of those things you have to learn a bit by doing, more than half of it is very situational, and any time you see a Fatigue cost in multiples of 100 to cast a spell, that's a gem per hundred Fatigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Decrepus posted:

I finally took Luck3 and on turn 2 I got a bugged random event that killed my first mage.

If you hadn't taken Luck3, it probably would have burned down your lab instead. Consider yourself fortunate!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Jack2142 posted:

So I just got the game because it was on sale, and I have been playing as Pythium... so far I managed to crush Man/Sceleria/Gath, but now I am getting my poo poo wrecked by Tien Chi who are throwing massive waves of soldiers against me.

I want to actually know how to use magic well however and was wondering if there are any actual Pythium guides because right now I am lost.

jBrereton posted:

OK so against Tien Chi, if you use one of your capital-only Serpent Priests and 2 nature gems

Magic is kinda complicated but I'm sure someone is writing a massive effort post as I type this. The main thing to know is that there is tons of it, it's one of those things you have to learn a bit by doing, more than half of it is very situational, and any time you see a Fatigue cost in multiples of 100 to cast a spell, that's a gem per hundred Fatigue.

Unless you're playing MA Pythium, in which case your strength is in big fuckoff Communions. Try spamming Stellar Cascades, Lightning Bolt and Thunderstrike from behind a double line of heavy infantry set to hold (a mix of principes and standards). Stellar Cascades is particularly good because even your s1 Acolytes can cast it if a Theurg casts Light of the Northern Star or someone carries a Banner of the Northern Star. But if you want to try a communion, just bring at least three slaves per master and try not to cast anything that has a very high Fatigue cost.

You've also got Doom and Fog Warriors up at alt 7.

What is your research like and do you have any sites that give you different mages?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 16, 2015

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Unless you're playing MA Pythium
Gath and Scelaria are both LA, so I guessed it off that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Gath and Scelaria are both LA, so I guessed it off that.

Scelaria is MA.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
MA Pythium and LA Pythium have more or less the same troops but completely different magic so don't make the mistake of thinking the same nation between ages will play similarly - only a few do that.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Does Destruction (Alt 4 spell) kill shields, too?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Does Destruction (Alt 4 spell) kill shields, too?

Pretty sure it does.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Destruction does kill shields. It's a super important spell.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Cool, now the bonus question: Do destroyed armor and shields keep every other stat? That is, do they still encumber, reduce defense, etc?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Cool, now the bonus question: Do destroyed armor and shields keep every other stat? That is, do they still encumber, reduce defense, etc?

No, it just removes them from the unit altogether.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna fuckin do Heat Jotunheim. Wish me luck.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm having an issue with brainwrinkle. I can't quite login to my account I think. I'll hit sign in, on the login page and it will just refresh the login page, no errors or anything. Has anyone else fixed this issue before?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm having an issue with brainwrinkle. I can't quite login to my account I think. I'll hit sign in, on the login page and it will just refresh the login page, no errors or anything. Has anyone else fixed this issue before?

use your email address as username

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been farting around with Ashdod in AI games, and I'm not really sure what my viable research goals are. I rush for construction to kit out Adons, but I'm lost after that. Some of sacred national summons looked like they could be decent supercombatants/thugs with the right items, but they're real deep in conjuration.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Pomp posted:

I've been farting around with Ashdod in AI games, and I'm not really sure what my viable research goals are. I rush for construction to kit out Adons, but I'm lost after that. Some of sacred national summons looked like they could be decent supercombatants/thugs with the right items, but they're real deep in conjuration.

Pro tip, don't rush anything to do with thugs

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pomp posted:

Get Evo early. All of your sages can do useful things with Evo.

yeah that
VVV

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 18, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Get Evo early. All of your sages can do useful things with Evo.

Conj3 to evo5

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

use your email address as username

That did it, thanks

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
For those of you guys who told me to try Lesser Fire Elemental spam in PoorTasteInGames...

gently caress all'y'all.
At least I'm not the first one to go AI...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Krysmphoenix posted:

For those of you guys who told me to try Lesser Fire Elemental spam in PoorTasteInGames...

gently caress all'y'all.
At least I'm not the first one to go AI...

From all the possible opponents, to do it against Ashdod, which have fire resistance in their troops...

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

From all the possible opponents, to do it against Ashdod, which have fire resistance in their troops...

I'm my defense, I was basically given three strategies:

Spam Mind Burn (against high MR giants that won't die in one MB hit...)
Spam Astral Fires (armor negating, but at least it's a little damage...)
Spam Lesser Fire Elementals (I was promised they would be strong enough to punch through the giant's armor)

I apparently chose poorly.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I told you to spam crossbows and stellar cascades but then again I only skimmed the conversation and it looks like you didn't have the time to research that (or to make any crossbows)?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

You were so confident one turn ago :(

On the other hand, kudos to Balkan Spy for pressing on while I have his cap under siege.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 20, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Krysmphoenix posted:

I'm my defense, I was basically given three strategies:

Spam Mind Burn (against high MR giants that won't die in one MB hit...)
Spam Astral Fires (armor negating, but at least it's a little damage...)
Spam Lesser Fire Elementals (I was promised they would be strong enough to punch through the giant's armor)

I apparently chose poorly.

The correct answer was stellar cascades :shobon:

Communioned astral fires or paralyze spam would also work though not as well. Star fires doesnt do poo poo to what I assume were n9 giants

As mari you generally want to spam xbows like crazy as a couple hundred will wreck most stuff.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 20, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Wouldn't stellar cascades wreck giants?

edit: apparently it will and also I can't loving read.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

irc lied Krysmphoenix died

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Sorry Krysm :smith:

in our defence you were probably hosed regardless

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Randomnations blitz tomorrow. Be on IRC at 19:00 UTC if you want to play.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Your available choices were pretty much all a selection of which way to get wrecked. And we heavily emphasized that in the chat.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Jack2142 posted:

So I just got the game because it was on sale, and I have been playing as Pythium... so far I managed to crush Man/Sceleria/Gath, but now I am getting my poo poo wrecked by Tien Chi who are throwing massive waves of soldiers against me.

I want to actually know how to use magic well however and was wondering if there are any actual Pythium guides because right now I am lost.

Research Thaumaturgy 1 to get Communion Master/Slave
Research Evo 5 to get Stellar Cascades and Solar Rays for undead
Later Get Soul Slay/Opposition/Control/Enslave for tougher things
Your mages can kill pretty much anything
The enemy cast RoS or Earthquake
Cry

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Krysmphoenix posted:

lol who said unsarcastically to use Lesser Fire Elementals against Ashdod's (Fire Resistant, magic weapon equipped, larger) sacreds?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Smart people who understand the correct kind of advice to give to their opponents (aka; the wrong kind :v:)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Whoever told me to use the elementals told me they would at least do enough damage to punch through their resistance and protection. At least they only had a minor s4b4 bless instead of anything actually scary.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Krysmphoenix posted:

Whoever told me to use the elementals told me they would at least do enough damage to punch through their resistance and protection.
They do like 15 fire damage with AP (Not even AN), so no, they will not reliably go through resistance and protection on FR6/9 Anakites who wear beefy armour.

The main reason Summon Lesser Fire Elemental is useful is that they're ethereal (only really useful against troops without magic weapons - Anakites have them), do OK AP damage in AoE1 (so it can't miss), and are so easy to summon that any F1 mage you're worried about getting assassinated by some total scrub like one of those guys Marignon gets can cast it and maybe kill their attacker (maybe).

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 20, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

How can I put one of my stupid mages to forge on repeat? Or cast the same spell each month? I swear I've seen the commands somewhere.

Also, is it possible to have my mages automatically research when I recruit them?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
All 3 are totally possible. Auto-research is in the main menu's Settings page.

The other two are O and M. For other handy tooltips, press ?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

How can I put one of my stupid mages to forge on repeat? Or cast the same spell each month? I swear I've seen the commands somewhere.

Also, is it possible to have my mages automatically research when I recruit them?

As jBrereton said, O and M. Please notice they are in caps, so it's actually shift + O and shift + M. Unless your caps lock key is on :P.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

E: oops I was wrong about ele

He had 14 mages who could be researching better spells inside the fort, he had Star Fires to cast from all 14 mages for 28 shots per turn of armor negating damage, only 1 giant can fight inside the gatehouse each turn to bottleneck them, and giants are loving expensive as hell and would need chaf to pull the walls down without taking too long(this was clearly not going to happen). Every giant would have died in the siege battle because of berserker.

This was an assisted suicide.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
This is the best way to get what you want:

Inexplicable my rear end.

• Locked thread