Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best K-On?
This poll is closed.
Mio 26 18.18%
Yui 21 14.69%
Ritsu 30 20.98%
Azusa 17 11.89%
Mugi 49 34.27%
Total: 143 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

oh oops, my subconscious can't deal with condemning Quark to a life of puns I guess

It is good, that you are not so cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's sad that dumb people have misued that term and made it a slur when it originally had nothing to do with trans people but here we are.

Language evolution is gay.

Yeah. I didn't have any malice in my heart when I used the term. It's just easier to say "trap" instead of "guy that looks like a girl and is also hot or vice versa"

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

dogsicle posted:

we already missed the best hair trend from 2011:

These are good! More cute hair in real life, less 'hurr everyone must have undercuts!!', that's my political platform for a grass roots party, I just got to figure out something that works with the acronym C.U.T.E.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

this story seems like something that would have been on beyond belief: fact or fiction, if you remmeber that show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I wish this anime was better because he's adorable.

I really like the character designs and didn't mind watching it. Rin and Bon would make a super cute couple.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's sad that dumb people have misued that term and made it a slur when it originally had nothing to do with trans people but here we are.

Language evolution is gay.
i mean even when it had nothing to do with trans people the idea that a crossdresser was trying to 'trap' you or trick you was still hosed up.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdLZF9XjwEI

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

this story seems like something that would have been on beyond belief: fact or fiction, if you remmeber that show

Yeah it's badass. I like it way more than something that's just supposed to be mega in your face scary.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Endorph posted:

i mean even when it had nothing to do with trans people the idea that a crossdresser was trying to 'trap' you or trick you was still hosed up.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

I really like the character designs and didn't mind watching it. Rin and Bon would make a super cute couple.

:yeah:

I like how in the manga Bon eventually gets his own special fire powers too. Haven't read it in ages though.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Knorth posted:

These are good! More cute hair in real life, less 'hurr everyone must have undercuts!!', that's my political platform for a grass roots party, I just got to figure out something that works with the acronym C.U.T.E.

I would like to form my own political party of guys with short, spiffy haircuts

Undercuts kind of bother me, but no where near the extent that the man bun does

these are my hair opinions thank you for listening

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

The term was mostly used by the crossdressers themselves but it's a moot point since enough people with AIDS have twisted the term that it's irrelevant now.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

i like it because its the more plausible sort of urban legend ghost story, so instead of being really scary its mega unnerving

yeah, I just went in with the expectation that I'd get freaked out and it didn't really deliver on it. It's a really cool comic though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

In HxH's case, it's cause it goes on hiatus for like years in a row, granting the series artificial longevity.

gently caress I miss HxH.
Hunter x Hunter operates similarly to One Piece in that it's a world of adventure where anything could happen, but it's harder to write about since it's less obviously compartmentalized compared with One Piece and Jojo (which are both highly compartmentalized).

What it probably comes down to, honestly, is that the core idea behind the term "Hunter" itself is loose enough to justify pretty much any kind of shenanigans so long as adventures are being had, that being another broad term. Shinigami in Bleach are a very specific thing, stepping outside of which feels strange and alien. Hunters in HxH can be pretty much anything. You'd almost accuse HxH of being generic if Togashi didn't infuse so much thought, style, and technique into it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I looked up undercuts because I was not familiar with the term, and I saw a pompadour, so I cannot in good conscience call them bad. Men's hair, like men's fashion, generally sucks and is boring, though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

yeah, I just went in with the expectation that I'd get freaked out and it didn't really deliver on it. It's a really cool comic though.

i scared the hell out of myself by leading it late at night home alone and being tired though, if you mainline enough spooky stuff long enough it gets to you

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

I was just about to reply to Knorth and poo poo on man buns lol. It's not inherently bad, but is just way too prevalent for how hard it is to pull off. Same for the greasy undercut barely-ponytail or whatever that thing is.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just grow out my hair kinda long, brush it back and leave it at that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

chumbler posted:

I looked up undercuts because I was not familiar with the term, and I saw a pompadour, so I cannot in good conscience call them bad. Men's hair, like men's fashion, generally sucks and is boring, though.

I take them to generally mean real short on the sides and back and fairly long on top

they can look good, but they've gotten so popular that people that can't pull them off but still try vastly outnumbers the good ones

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

chumbler posted:

Men's hair, like men's fashion, generally sucks and is boring, though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Anyway, I hope that sort of answers your question Quark? And wasn't too boring or muddled.

I need food.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I forgot that Bon wasn't the medicine girl, but I still agree with the previous statement

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Anyways Gakkou Kaidan is cool because its 70s art but also its a cool idea for an anthology where the main character is always the same and the horror keeps happening to them and ends good sometimes and bad others and in the next chapter things are back to the same

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Erg posted:

I generally like seeing the buns around but why stop there? I would prefer the trend to be just putting your hair up, that would be cool

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

i scared the hell out of myself by leading it late at night home alone and being tired though, if you mainline enough spooky stuff long enough it gets to you

There's supposed to be a scary episode of Mushishi, which I will probably watch tomorrow night. And I haven't read any of the Fuan no Tane sequel...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I hope that one day anno can learn from tomino and make happy things with his famous creation

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://bato.to/read/_/335944/gakkou-kaidan_v1_ch15_by_habanero-scans

this is the chapter I recommend to you, if you wanna check out gakkou kaidan

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

I forgot that Bon wasn't the medicine girl, but I still agree with the previous statement

There are no good straight ships, the big bap medicine girl goes with the tiny eyebrows girl.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wow! I was going through Dungeon Meshi and I looked at one of the fanart twitters in between chapters and it was the guy who does the art for 7th Dragon 2020, so I look through his twit pics and it's the same guy that drew

What a coincidence.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Anyway, I hope that sort of answers your question Quark? And wasn't too boring or muddled.

I need food.

Yeah, it's cool. I like seeing people's thought processes in detail when it comes to stuff like this.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

Formula is probably the wrong word also, I'm just struggling with how to phrase it. It ties in with an idea I've discussed before though, regarding the willingness of any given series to reinvent itself and surprise you.

My two favorite long-running shounen titles would probably have to be Jojo and Hunter x Hunter. One of the reasons I gave for this, several chat threads ago, was that they felt like the only two shounen serials I kept up with where "Anything could happen." Both series boast a certain flexibility that allows them to contain a vast array of different things without sacrificing their core principles or premise. In Jojo's case, this is due to Araki's style of generational storytelling. Each arc features a new protagonist who finds themselves situated in a brand new context, linked by a shared lineage. As long as the lineage is there, then, there's really no end to what Jojo can become. Jojo can go into space or back in time, uncover bizarre phenomenon, or generally just be whatever it wants to. Part 3 was a globe-trotting tournament travelogue. Part 4 was a small town murder mystery. Part 7 was an alternate history horse race across the continental United States. All three of these things are very different, but they fall fit beneath the umbrella of "Jojo." They all fall well within the boundaries of what Jojo can be, which is one of the ways the series has managed to remain fresh even after almost 30 years of publication (IMO).

One Piece's strength, I'd say, would be the idea of "Pockets" of adventure, represented in-series by islands. One Piece is portrayed as a fanciful, imaginative world in which there is seemingly no practical limit to what's allowed in - something bolstered by Oda's cartoony art direction which allows him a wide variety of shapes and sizes and features to choose from without undermining the integrity of his world. Beyond this, however, One Piece is in many ways a world of isolation. Each island is virtually a world unto itself, and since everything's so far apart there's really no reason anything can't be right next to anything else. What this means, practically, is that whenever the crew leaves one island for the next, there's this anticipation for what or who they'll run into next because it could quite literally be anyone or anything. Once they do make landfall, Oda gets a chance to treat us to whatever local delicacies he's invented; lather, rinse, repeat. It's very formulaic, but it's a formula that allows for hypothetically anything. Obviously you can still botch the execution, but the potential is there.

I haven't read anything of One Piece past the timeskip, but from the complaints I've heard I wonder if it isn't straying from this path.

I'm probably rambling by this point. I'm hungry and need food.

I'd argue it started happening earlier before that when the crew got seperated and the meta-narrative started becoming more important. Like the writing was still good, but the spirit of adventure became less prevalent when it switched gears to saving Ace. Not that Oda hasn't tried to make each new location after the reunion interesting, since for all intents and purposes, that was the whole point of Fishmen Island but it somewhat falls flat since each of the New World locations so far feels the need to have some sort of narrative importance, whereas Skypeia is cool island in the sky adventure and doesn't need any justification for itself.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

its a good mix of creepy and silly stuff i think, probably a bit dated but still cool to read

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

There are no good straight ships, the big bap medicine girl goes with the tiny eyebrows girl.

It's true.

Yukio is also the worst character, and goes with nobody.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Erg posted:

I take them to generally mean real short on the sides and back and fairly long on top

they can look good, but they've gotten so popular that people that can't pull them off but still try vastly outnumbers the good ones

Yeah, they can look really good sometimes but they've just become so over-prescribed and ubiquitous, I'm looking forward to it dying down a bit

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fishman sucked, but I thought Punk Hazard was a cool island idea/mystery.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Knorth posted:

I generally like seeing the buns around but why stop there? I would prefer the trend to be just putting your hair up, that would be cool

I think buns can work on an exceedingly small group of people who I still think would look better with a different haircut but whatever

the problem is when guys try to go for the man bun and it just doesn't work but they still persist

and I think hair clips or whatever for guys could look good but I genuinely haven't seen it out in the wild so I can't really say

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

okay I've talked too much about men's haircuts

good night chat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

dogsicle posted:

The sexy Young Joseph statue

littleorv posted:

I want it.