Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm not sure if you realize this, but Hombre (the story) was written by Elmore Leonard, the guy who wrote Out of Sight,Jackie Brown, Get Shorty and the book Justified was based on. He got his start doing westerns. 3:10 to Yuma is one of his, as are Valdez is coming and Joe Kidd, all of which are pretty good to great.

That's pretty cool, I had no idea. I almost mentioned that it has this hip vibe to it that makes it feel almost like a crime movie at times, so it makes sense that it's written by the same fellow that did all those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Spoiler: Stephen King often takes the laziest way out of his writing. It's also exactly the ending you'd expect if you're familiar with a large body of his work.

The ending of The Mist sure ain't no Survivor Type (except it is, almost exactly the same..) "Shocking" reveal, fade to credits, maybe have a memorable catchphrase as it closes..

We aren't talking about the ending, we're talking about the scene where a gigantic skyscraper sized monster is walking around the car. That scene is taken from the novella, and it isn't the ending. Can you elaborate on what about it you feel is lazy?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else think Rescuers Down Under is better than The Rescuers, or am I alone?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Franchescanado posted:

Does anyone else think Rescuers Down Under is better than The Rescuers, or am I alone?

You are not alone, although it probably doesn't help that I watched the former as a child multiple times before ever seeing the latter.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Rescuers down under 4 Lyfe.

"Albatross, albatross...ALBATROSS?!?"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
McLeach (and George C Scott by extension) is way more interesting and menacing than the villain in the first movie.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

I love how dark the ending of The Mist goes, but it feels like a total misfire to me. The most terrifying thing that could have happened in that film is that the crazy fundamentalist woman was right and it was the end times and her horrifying interpretation of the Bible and humanity was righteous. I get that it's not the ending they were going for, but it was the ending I was anticipating and was disappointed by not getting.

The Rapture actually does this, more or less, and it's the only time I've seen a movie have the guts to carry through on its religious apocalypse premise without being one of those loony megachurch productions starring Kevin Sorbo or Kirk Cameron.

Basically the main character believes god has told her the end times are coming, go out into the desert, wait for a sign, then kill your child. She does everything except the last part, the rapture actually happens, and god's like welp you didn't do what i told you and she goes to hell. THE END.

Unfortunately it's not a very good movie so the narrative kick of seeing the premise followed through is tempered by it's lame-o made-for-tv production values.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

coyo7e posted:

So it's the walking dead except with lots of fog, and like, tentacles or something?

I don't really know that I want to find out why there was a dinosaur or some poo poo at the end of the movie (iirc).

The Mist was one of the biggest sources of inspiration for the Half-Life videogames (the game's original title was Quiver, after the Arrowhead Project from The Mist), so if you think of it as being the Black Mesa incident as seen through the eyes of the civilians in the nearby town and without any sort of malevolent alien intelligence controlling it you have a pretty good idea of how that could work.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Monkeysee posted:

The Rapture actually does this, more or less, and it's the only time I've seen a movie have the guts to carry through on its religious apocalypse premise without being one of those loony megachurch productions starring Kevin Sorbo or Kirk Cameron.

Basically the main character believes god has told her the end times are coming, go out into the desert, wait for a sign, then kill your child. She does everything except the last part, the rapture actually happens, and god's like welp you didn't do what i told you and she goes to hell. THE END.

Unfortunately it's not a very good movie so the narrative kick of seeing the premise followed through is tempered by it's lame-o made-for-tv production values.

That's almost exactly the opposite of the ending of the movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm watching the Twilight Zone on Netflix, which is of course awesome. I've seen it before but it's got me curious for some older TV shows. What are some pre-80's TV you can recommend? And before someone says it, I've watched classic Trek a billion times.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Have you checked out Alfred Hitchcock Presents?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Have you checked out Alfred Hitchcock Presents?

Man, I remember watching that on Nick at Nite. I'll check it out! I wasn't necessarily asking for just anthology shows but thanks for making me remember that show.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm watching the Twilight Zone on Netflix, which is of course awesome. I've seen it before but it's got me curious for some older TV shows. What are some pre-80's TV you can recommend? And before someone says it, I've watched classic Trek a billion times.

If you haven't already seen The Prisoner it's still amazing and it looks really, really good since it's from the era when they still shot television on film.

Also Alfred Hitchcock Presents isn't quite as transcendent as The Twilight Zone and veers more towards suspense and crime rather than science fiction and horror but it's still some really good anthology televison. And it's fun to recognize how many plotlines have been recycled by other authors over the years, Stephen King especially.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The Prisoner is amazing, as long as you do not ever try to take the episodes in any kind of order. It's kind of the most beautiful part of it all. The ultimate stand-alone episode series.

Sleeveless posted:

The Mist was one of the biggest sources of inspiration for the Half-Life videogames (the game's original title was Quiver, after the Arrowhead Project from The Mist), so if you think of it as being the Black Mesa incident as seen through the eyes of the civilians in the nearby town and without any sort of malevolent alien intelligence controlling it you have a pretty good idea of how that could work.

Wow, a videogame drew inspiration from some insipid movie based on a mediocre story by a mediocre author. I'm impressed now.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

coyo7e posted:

Wow, a videogame drew inspiration from some insipid movie based on a mediocre story by a mediocre author. I'm impressed now.

The movie adaptation came out nearly a decade after the first Half-Life, for what it's worth. It's a neat piece of trivia and you can see how the novella and game jive.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

coyo7e posted:

Half-Life 2 was featured at the Smithsonian American Art Museum and Stephen King was just awarded the National Medal of Arts a week ago. Sorry about losing your culture war.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

CheesyDog posted:

That's almost exactly the opposite of the ending of the movie.

Haha I really misremembered the daughter thing but anyway God is real, the apocalypse happens the end. Anyway the themes it explores deserved a better movie but it did stick to its guns.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Jose Oquendo posted:

Kolchak: The Night Stalker. X-Flies drew a ton of inspiration from it.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Columbo is great and a bunch of it is on Netflix including the pilot which Steven Spielberg directed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Time Dissolver posted:

Columbo is great and a bunch of it is on Netflix including the pilot which Steven Spielberg directed.

I've watched Columbo a bit back in the day, but I have no idea Spielberg directed it. I will have to go back through it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Speaking of Spielberg, Rod Serling had another anthology show called The Night Gallery. I've only seen one story from it, (Eyes, directed by Steven Spielberg), but it was fantastic.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Considering every Columbo episode is basically "I'm a big dumb detective, and you criminals will tell me everything because you think I'm dumb, BUT WAIT, I'm actually smart.", it's still eminently watchable because Peter Falk hits it out of the park every single time.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

coyo7e posted:

I am unsure if you are trolling (check those dates), or you are just wrong, but whatever. King is quite the excellent author when it comes to genre fiction. King will be taught in schools* long after we are all dead.

*Already is, my American Lit class in college used his great short story 'Last Rung on the Ladder'.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
A film forum of all places should recognize the undeniable mark King has left on horror cinema.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Considering every Columbo episode is basically "I'm a big dumb detective, and you criminals will tell me everything because you think I'm dumb, BUT WAIT, I'm actually smart.", it's still eminently watchable because Peter Falk hits it out of the park every single time.

I watched the entire run last winter & never got tired of the formula. Here's a pretty great example of that. Peter Falk in character at a roast for Frank Sinatra and he absolutely kills it just by being the guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzKehvXNBus

Anyone looking for a horror movie recommendation, I can suggest Starry Eyes. It's super hosed up with an incredibly cynical subtext, and the story's pretty corny, but it executes everything else pretty well, especially the pacing, which is a slow burn that crescendos rapidly toward the end. It's very self-aware and has a bit of a retro feel, kind of like The House of the Devil.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fishtobaskets posted:

I watched the entire run last winter & never got tired of the formula. Here's a pretty great example of that. Peter Falk in character at a roast for Frank Sinatra and he absolutely kills it just by being the guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzKehvXNBus

There's a reason why Colombo is so fondly remembered and imitated and it's Falk. The formula got incredibly threadbare at times but that guy was like an atomic bond.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Columbo would kick the dogshit out of Matlock.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What about Perry Mason?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Tougher challenger there. He had his tried and true formula of getting the suspect to suddenly confess near the end of a trial, usually by insinuating they were too dumb to pull off the deed.

Also, he fought Godzilla sort of.

I think Columbo still takes him, but it's close.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You can't mention The Twilight Zone without The Outer Limits. For the longest time I thought it was the same show! From what little I've seen of Outer Limits it seems to be a bit more explicitly sci-fi than Zone, which occasionally is more pure fantasy. It's on Hulu I think.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

You really have a talent for packing a ton of bizarre opinions into one sentence.

I watched Slow West last night and it was great. Anyone who likes Westerns needs to check it out because these days we're lucky to get a single decent one in a year.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Glamorama26 posted:

Tougher challenger there. He had his tried and true formula of getting the suspect to suddenly confess near the end of a trial, usually by insinuating they were too dumb to pull off the deed.

Also, he fought Godzilla sort of.

I think Columbo still takes him, but it's close.

Columbo takes him by putting him out of a job. The detectives in the Perry Mason show and books were prone to jumping to conclusions and trying to grab headlines and not fond of doing much actual detective work.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Here's a good challenge: name a cop show where the cops just do their jobs, and not in a sarcastic, cynical or obviously illegal way. I got Adam-12 and that's it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

MacGowans Teeth posted:

Columbo takes him by putting him out of a job. The detectives in the Perry Mason show and books were prone to jumping to conclusions and trying to grab headlines and not fond of doing much actual detective work.
To be fair, a good chunk of Columbo's cases get solved not because of detective work but because he has a hunch they did it so he gets them to admit/imply guilt by completely lying about the evidence he has against them. I love a good Columbo show like any normal human being because I love watching smug rich people have their plans fall apart, but if it was the real world, half of Columbo's cases would probably get thrown out for being completely based on flimsy circumstantial evidence.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Here's a good challenge: name a cop show where the cops just do their jobs, and not in a sarcastic, cynical or obviously illegal way. I got Adam-12 and that's it.

The original Dragnet series. Just the facts!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A lot of the appeal of Columbo is also of course the fantastic guest stars. I think both Patrick McGoohan (The Prisoner) episodes are on Netflix, I know at least the one where he plays a secret agent that says "Be seeing you!" is on there, and it is amazing (he also directed the episode).

e: ohh, another great episode that's on Netflix is the one about the MENSA group meeting... can't remember what it's called but yeah a whole room full of "geniuses" and Columbo is television nirvana

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

nevermind!

Yaws fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 18, 2015

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If The Prisoner is streaming anywhere and you haven't seen it, put everything down and watch The Prisoner right now.

The ending is so bewildering, Patrick McGoohan left his country due to the backlash. The last episode of The Prisoner is the one thing my mother flat-out refused to talk to me about in her entire life. it made her so angry.

It's fantastic.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

MacGowans Teeth posted:

Was Perry Mason the show where they couple lets their baby drown in the bathtub because they're just so drat high on marijuana? Or was that Dragnet? I know Dragnet is the one with Blue Boy, so it has a record of anti-drug stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Was Perry Mason the show where they couple lets their baby drown in the bathtub because they're just so drat high on marijuana? Or was that Dragnet? I know Dragnet is the one with Blue Boy, so it has a record of anti-drug stuff.

That's gotta be Dragnet.