Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Don Lapre posted:

Jesus christ man. Change service providers? Tmobile is $120/m for 4 lines with 10gb EACH

Tmobile coverage is beyond horrible in the 3 cities we live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

If I pay off the device balance for a phone on an EDGE contract, is there any significant delay before I can sell the phone on Swappa or something like that?

What? No. once you pay your Edge / device payment deal you can do whatever you want. You could probably even sell contracted or device payment tied phones on Swappa while still under contract or payment plan. You would just owe Verizon the rest of the rest of the phone cost or contract cancellation fee. I can't imagine Swappa has some way to check contract or payment plan status with VZW.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Super Dude posted:

I'm currently on a 4 person family plan (Nationwide Talk&Text 1400) with 3 smartphones and one feature phone. Our bill currently comes out to $242.39 ($225.45 + $16.94 fees/taxes).

Account charges and credits: $83.50 (includes 15% discount)
Line 1: $52.22 ($47.99 + $4.23 fees)
Line 2: $54.22 ($49.99 + $4.23 fees)
Line 3: $38.22 ($33.98 + $4.24 fees)
Line 4: $14.23 ($9.99 + 4.24 fees)

Lines 1 and 2 each have Verizon Max 6GB data, and my line (line 3) has unlimited data. Lines 1 and 2 also have insurance ($8 and $10).

Our contracts are up in November, are there any changes we can do to help lower the bill? Lines 1 and 2 use maybe 2 GB combined data, but I fluctuate anywhere between 10-30GB each month. If we could get some kind of shared 20GB+ data pool, I could probably lower my data usage.

Verizon has a new 18 gig plan for $100 a month.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.
Suddenly at 2:57am (EST) it popped up saying my line was available for a special upgrade, and let me upgrade right then an there. Wow. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out a way around my contract not being up yet.

This was my first middle of the night pre-order on a phone... surprised by how smoothly it went.

limekle fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 12, 2015

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Looks like the site went live about 4 minutes early. I think I nabbed the 64gb Space Grey, but I may run into issues since my mother is the primary account holder on our family plan and my credit card to pay the taxes wont match her primary billing address. We'll see. And it's still showing a $40 line access charge rather than it dropping to $15 out of contract on our More Everything plan, but I believe that's because my contract doesn't technically end until next weekend.

Good luck all.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.

Falco posted:

Looks like the site went live about 4 minutes early. I think I nabbed the 64gb Space Grey, but I may run into issues since my mother is the primary account holder on our family plan and my credit card to pay the taxes wont match her primary billing address. We'll see. And it's still showing a $40 line access charge rather than it dropping to $15 out of contract on our More Everything plan, but I believe that's because my contract doesn't technically end until next weekend.

Good luck all.

Are you me? I also got a 64gb Space Gray 4 minutes early, and worried after about having used my card to pay the taxes with my mother being the primary account holder. AND I spent a while trying to figure out why it was showing my monthly payment as having a $40 line access charge, until I realized it's probably because my contract isn't actually up yet. Weird.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
if it helps, i did the same thing (paid for a phone with a card not matching the primary account holder's name) but also paid for a different phone with a card in the account holder's name. neither one has advanced beyond "your order is being processed, please check back later."

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I spoke with a customer support rep this morning and he said paying for the sales tax with a card having a different zip code shouldn't throw up any red flags. And because I was already authorized to make changes to the account, I could make changes to the order. So I had them change the shipping address to me rather than my mother who's in another state. Crossing my fingers it all works out.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Did they do away with my "transfer my upgrade to my son's line, buy new subsidized device, keep UDP" loophole? Just going through the website it seems like we're still good, but I had to ask some questions with a chat CSR and she said if I transfer my upgrade I lose UDP. I'm sure that's the script, but just wanted to double check with you folks.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It's just the script. It still works fine.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Is there any requirement to keep the phone that's under a subsidy through the length of the contract? I have an iPhone 6 I bought a year ago under the More Everything plan so it was subsidized and I am under contract through Sept 2016 (though I'm probably going to switch to the Verizon Plan since it looks like I'll get one more gigabyte for the same price). With the new Apple upgrade plan I'm thinking to shift to a 12-month upgrade cycle and get a 6s.

Obviously I'll be paying the $40 vs $20 line access charge through Sept 2016 plus the Apple monthly charge for the new phone, but is there any reason I can't sell/trade-in my current iPhone 6 that was bought with the subsidy? I know the SIM is unlocked; hell, it has a Vodafone ES SIM in it at the moment since I'm traveling, but I wasn't sure if there was any other type of subsidy lock or database in place.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

fordan posted:

Is there any requirement to keep the phone that's under a subsidy through the length of the contract? I have an iPhone 6 I bought a year ago under the More Everything plan so it was subsidized and I am under contract through Sept 2016 (though I'm probably going to switch to the Verizon Plan since it looks like I'll get one more gigabyte for the same price). With the new Apple upgrade plan I'm thinking to shift to a 12-month upgrade cycle and get a 6s.

Obviously I'll be paying the $40 vs $20 line access charge through Sept 2016 plus the Apple monthly charge for the new phone, but is there any reason I can't sell/trade-in my current iPhone 6 that was bought with the subsidy? I know the SIM is unlocked; hell, it has a Vodafone ES SIM in it at the moment since I'm traveling, but I wasn't sure if there was any other type of subsidy lock or database in place.

Don't you have to wait until your contract is finished to switch to the new plan (since the new one isn't a 2 year contract and your phone is subsidized based on your contract)?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 13, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Super Dude posted:

Don't you have to wait until your contract is finished to switch to the new plan (since the new one isn't a 2 year contract and your phone is subsidized based on your contract)?

No; it's in the Verizon Plan FAQs; you can switch, but the lines that still have active contracts will be $40 for line access instead of $20.

E: and you can't cancel until the contract period is up presumably.

Verizon posted:

You can switch to The Verizon Plan anytime, but the monthly access charges for all devices on 2-year contracts will remain at $40 until each device contract expires. Once each device contract expires, the monthly access charge will automatically drop to $20.

fordan fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 13, 2015

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I was messing around on my online account and this time it did prompt me to switch my unlimited data plan. However, I am not too worried as just saving up for a phone isn't that bad (right now).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Alright, I am also asking about the new T-Shirt plans. Here's the math I've done.

We're currently on the 10GB More Everything plan. We pay $254 a month, with 2 Device Payment agreements and a 20% discount on the account charges from my work.

So, the comparable plan I think is the 12GB XL plan. The monthly breakdown would be:

$80 for data
$80 for 4 * $20 device line access fee
$23 for the first Device Payment Agreement
$31 for the second Device Payment Agreement
$10 for insurance on my dad's phone because he's got butter fingers

So this adds up to $224, and I figure the fees per line won't go away, so that adds about $16 to the bill for a total of $240.

What would my 20% discount apply towards, if anything? The $80 data bucket/service thing? And am I missing anything obvious from the potential new breakdown? 2 extra gigs and saving a few bucks would be nice...

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Protocol7 posted:

Alright, I am also asking about the new T-Shirt plans. Here's the math I've done.

We're currently on the 10GB More Everything plan. We pay $254 a month, with 2 Device Payment agreements and a 20% discount on the account charges from my work.

So, the comparable plan I think is the 12GB XL plan. The monthly breakdown would be:

$80 for data
$80 for 4 * $20 device line access fee
$23 for the first Device Payment Agreement
$31 for the second Device Payment Agreement
$10 for insurance on my dad's phone because he's got butter fingers

So this adds up to $224, and I figure the fees per line won't go away, so that adds about $16 to the bill for a total of $240.

What would my 20% discount apply towards, if anything? The $80 data bucket/service thing? And am I missing anything obvious from the potential new breakdown? 2 extra gigs and saving a few bucks would be nice...

This all looks about right to me. We are in just about the same exact boat. We have 4 smartphones on a 10GB +1GB More Everything plan and it comes out to about $255/mo. After talking with a Verizon rep through chat the only real difference for us between the More Everything plan and the new Verizon Plan is that on More everything our line access fee is only $15 off contract versus the $20 on the Verizon Plan. Otherwise everything comes out to be about a wash. The 20% discount I believe only gets applied toward your $80 bucket/service like you had guessed.

If your line access charges are $20 instead of $15, then you might gain 2GB extra by switching to the Verizon plan with pretty much the same monthly cost.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I currently have a single line plan with 1gb of data and a HTC One M8. I would like to increase my data and possibly add my LTE chromebook. My current phone is subsided, can I buy it out or what would happen do it if I switch to the new plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Calidus posted:

I currently have a single line plan with 1gb of data and a HTC One M8. I would like to increase my data and possibly add my LTE chromebook. My current phone is subsided, can I buy it out or what would happen do it if I switch to the new plan?

If you switch the new Verizon plans, the phone access is just $40 until the two year contract is up.

Example: 3GB plan ("medium")
3GB: $45
Line access: $40 until contract is over, then $20
Chrome book: $10

You can always stop by a corporate store and see if they have other options, but that is probably what you are looking at.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Duckman2008 posted:

If you switch the new Verizon plans, the phone access is just $40 until the two year contract is up.

Example: 3GB plan ("medium")
3GB: $45
Line access: $40 until contract is over, then $20
Chrome book: $10

You can always stop by a corporate store and see if they have other options, but that is probably what you are looking at.

Thanks that is what I was seeing online and wasn't sure where they $40 line access came from.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

My Moto X Pure arrived...I'm trying to use the nano SIM from my previous Verizon device, and it didn't activate. I called customer service, they were just interested in the IMEI number and told me they couldn't find the device when looking it up. Guy I was talking to put me on hold to get someone else onto the call, who told me: "We can't activate the device because it is not compatible with the Verizon network" :psyduck:

Am I going to have to go into a Verizon store to get this activated?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Rockker posted:

My Moto X Pure arrived...I'm trying to use the nano SIM from my previous Verizon device, and it didn't activate. I called customer service, they were just interested in the IMEI number and told me they couldn't find the device when looking it up. Guy I was talking to put me on hold to get someone else onto the call, who told me: "We can't activate the device because it is not compatible with the Verizon network" :psyduck:

Am I going to have to go into a Verizon store to get this activated?

Wait until tomorrow and enjoy your new phone via Wifi only for now? http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/15/moto-x-pure-edition-verizon-activation-woes/

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Yeah, I guess I'll see if it works tomorrow. Switching the sim should have worked, though, and it irks me that the customer rep tried to claim that the device wasn't supported.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

fordan posted:

Wait until tomorrow and enjoy your new phone via Wifi only for now? http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/15/moto-x-pure-edition-verizon-activation-woes/

betting Verizon is forcing Motorola to patch the hotspot stuff before they'll start activating, lmbo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

this_is_hard posted:

betting Verizon is forcing Motorola to patch the hotspot stuff before they'll start activating, lmbo

Really sincerely doubt it since there's like only a handful of people out there who have plans that don't have hotspot built into them.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

Really sincerely doubt it since there's like only a handful of people out there who have plans that don't have hotspot built into them.

Everyone still clinging to unlimited data.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lowen SoDium posted:

Everyone still clinging to unlimited data.

Yeah, which is probably low single digits of subscriber base right now (if even above 1%). Not really even worth recognizing.

I say this again. There are not enough unlimited people left for Verizon to expend any resources at all loving with them. It's not worth a consideration anymore. It's a rounding error in their subscriber base.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm still one of those people, but honestly it's probably just less of a headache now to just hop on a new plan. Looking at my history I don't use more than 2GB/mo anyway, and unlimited texting would be nice, so these new plans might actually save me :10bux: Now, isn't there a new Motorola coming out this month or next month? My Droid Maxx is on its last legs, so I figure I'll hop on a new plan when I buy a new phone, and if a new one is coming out soon...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anyone who gets a Turbo 2 over a Moto X Pure needs to be put on an involuntary psych hold.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've been on AT&T for a while, since way back when they exclusively had the iPhone. No real issues with their service but there are a couple spots where Verizon gets coverage that I don't. Combine that with an 18% discount or something from work, I'm thinking about switching over to Verizon.

Next month my contract will be up with AT&T so I can start a new plan, get a new iPhone, and transfer my number over. My question is, does Verizon give you any incentive at all to switch carriers?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Bob Morales posted:

I've been on AT&T for a while, since way back when they exclusively had the iPhone. No real issues with their service but there are a couple spots where Verizon gets coverage that I don't. Combine that with an 18% discount or something from work, I'm thinking about switching over to Verizon.

Next month my contract will be up with AT&T so I can start a new plan, get a new iPhone, and transfer my number over. My question is, does Verizon give you any incentive at all to switch carriers?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/switch-and-save/?intcmp=INT-MAR-NON-AC-Get_up_to_400-09122015-1MPB1-RE-HP-LP-NP

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

bull3964 posted:

Anyone who gets a Turbo 2 over a Moto X Pure needs to be put on an involuntary psych hold.

Was there some recent news about the Turbo 2? It seemed like it could be an excellent phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

THF13 posted:

Was there some recent news about the Turbo 2? It seemed like it could be an excellent phone.

It's going to be a $250+ premium over the X. It really isn't worth it to saddle yourself with a Snapdragon 810 or Verizon's update process.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 17, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Verizon states that the activation issue has been fixed.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/15/an-update-on-activating-moto-x-pure-editions-at-verizon/

Rockker, maybe you tried to active the phone right when they were updating systems and that's why it failed?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So of course the one place Verizon does not have coverage is my house.

Anyone happen to have a Verizon microcell/signal booster they are willing to sell me?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Duckman2008 posted:

So of course the one place Verizon does not have coverage is my house.

Anyone happen to have a Verizon microcell/signal booster they are willing to sell me?

Have you tried just asking for a microcell?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Have you tried just asking for a microcell?

I'm trying now, but I'm not hedging my bets.

Edit: Yup, I'm just SOL on the microcell, my only option is to purchase full price.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 18, 2015

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

bull3964 posted:

It's going to be a $250+ premium over the X. It really isn't worth it to saddle yourself with a Snapdragon 810 or Verizon's update process.

No Wireless charging on the pure

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I have two phones on a Verizon plan, both with upgrades. One has unlimited, one does not. Is it possible to get both phones upgraded while keeping the unlimited data on the one? Thanks for any help.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

z06ck posted:

No Wireless charging on the pure

Yeah, still not worth $250 and having to wait in line for Verizon's validation process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
xpost from iphone thread: verizon is processing credit cards for their 6s/6s+ preorders now (just got charged here), so keep an eye on your email for fraud protection notices etc.

• Locked thread