Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jyrka posted:

So these retards want to kill off non-elite football. Why?

If you think their proposals are worse than the current system you might just not be paying attention. They're not doing this on the cuff, this is a multiple-year process being acted upon because the same year everyone becomes absolutely sick of FIFAs poo poo then England went and broke the transfer market forever.

An end of loans, a maximum amount of players you can be registered paying, and a two year contract protect period followed by buyout and then bosman movement is what's being discussed. It's a good groundwork they've got to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

So if Fifpro got everything they wanted there would be no more transfer fees, no more loans, no more massive squads full of every player Chelsea could get to pick up a pen, and potentially no more Jorge Mendes.

I have no idea what the transfer situation would look like after all that, but it's possible it would be better for the players and fans.

More swap deals and bosman signings. Big clubs would have to focus more on poaching youth players before they signed professional contracts. Ultimately I doubt it would make a huge difference in terms of competitiveness.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
especially not without a wage cap

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
I imagine instead of spending stupid money on transfer fee's and agents, the cash would go straight to the players in wages.
It almost sounds like footballers would fall into the normal job market.

Club puts out job offer stating they want a striker,the salary they will pay and the contract length. 10 players apply and the club picks the one they want.
The player is bound by the contract until it is finished or unless there is some legit gripe as to why the contract hasn't been fulfilled by the club.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
RICO statutes

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Spangly A posted:

If you think their proposals are worse than the current system you might just not be paying attention. They're not doing this on the cuff, this is a multiple-year process being acted upon because the same year everyone becomes absolutely sick of FIFAs poo poo then England went and broke the transfer market forever.

Why is it better when big clubs can sign players with no transfer fees?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jyrka posted:

Why is it better when big clubs can sign players with no transfer fees?

Because they're asking for strict squad limits, so big clubs can't actually sign anyone because they're all miles above the limit being discussed. Big clubs also won't be able to just snap up anyone they want, with a two year registration protection period being discussed. This in no way helps big clubs stockpile talent, it reduces agent influence, it reduces FIFA's sway over player disputes, it lets smaller clubs simply pay wages and be done with it without having to worry about scouting and buying a new player. They just have to offer wages.

Frankly if that's the cause of your concern you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The issue that's going to arise will be cashflow for smaller clubs, but it's worth seeing if reducing arbitrary blocks to player movement leads to a correction in wages as the talent pool grows lower down the football hierarchy.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Why wouldn't the big clubs just wait out contracts and then snap up players on free transfers? Seems like this proposal may change things for a couple years, then Chelsea will just get the players they want for free when their contacts run out.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

It would ruin a lot of smaller leagues and only help the big clubs. Wages would spiral even more out of control.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

For example, let's say it's August 31, 2013 and Real Madrid want to sign under contract with Tottenham Gareth Bale who also wants to go to Madrid. What would happen under the proposed rules that is "better" than what really happened?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
And as for agent power, just imagine what Mendes could do when he has 5 of his players available for free transfers at the same time. Itd be an orgy of greed and corruption.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Even if ECJ abolishes the transfer system, I don't see how you'd enforce a squad restriction rule. None of the big clubs would want that as they would be able to poach every single talented player. And who'd represent players if there's no more agent power? I imagine the commission based yearly payouts will stay, so Mendes will probably just go shopping for the best paying clubs for his players as he has always done

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jyrka posted:

For example, let's say it's August 31, 2013 and Real Madrid want to sign under contract with Tottenham Gareth Bale who also wants to go to Madrid. What would happen under the proposed rules that is "better" than what really happened?

it sounds like they buy out the value of the contract rather than whatever price the selling club decides

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Hegay posted:

Wages would spiral even more out of control.

I find it funny that people talk about out of control wages when Zlatan, Rooney, Messi and Ronaldo all make less money than Joe Johnson of the Brooklyn Nets.

Edit: Also I could see a no transfer fee world working if loans were outlawed. Not all players are going to move to Real Madrid to sit on the bench if they can't go out on loan, and can't cancel their contract without buying it out.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 18, 2015

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Poor Sepp Blatter. All of these despicable criminals getting arrested left and right. Blatter probably thought they were in it for the love of the beautiful game, just like himself! You are too good for this world, Sepp.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I find it funny that people talk about out of control wages when Zlatan, Rooney, Messi and Ronaldo all make less money than Joe Johnson of the Brooklyn Nets.

Edit: Also I could see a no transfer fee world working if loans were outlawed. Not all players are going to move to Real Madrid to sit on the bench if they can't go out on loan, and can't cancel their contract without buying it out.

Players being able to cancel their contracts when they arent playing is going to be in the proposals.

I genuinely can't believe any of you think this isn't good news. FIFA has no business setting the terms of how football contracts work, they're a bunch of criminals. There's going to be ways to exploit the poo poo out of a no-contract system but it's going to be a system that's accountable to at least someone.

Pointing out that the remains of the system are poo poo is hardly a comeback.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Transfer sagas won't be so dramatic when it's just the footballer handing in their two months notice

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Spangly A posted:

Players being able to cancel their contracts when they arent playing is going to be in the proposals.

I genuinely can't believe any of you think this isn't good news. FIFA has no business setting the terms of how football contracts work, they're a bunch of criminals. There's going to be ways to exploit the poo poo out of a no-contract system but it's going to be a system that's accountable to at least someone.

Pointing out that the remains of the system are poo poo is hardly a comeback.

This would kill football.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
This would not really make much difference except that players would get paid more.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

blue footed boobie posted:

This would not really make much difference except that players would get paid more.

Do you really want Nicklas Bendtner to make even more money?!

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Maybe the players are the very top. All the other clubs rely on transfer fees.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

The teams in the Belgian Jupiler Pro League received over 90 million euros combined in transfer fees this summer. How can they replace that income with no transfer fees?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

jyrka posted:

The teams in the Belgian Jupiler Pro League received over 90 million euros combined in transfer fees this summer. How can they replace that income with no transfer fees?

free market!!!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

jyrka posted:

clearly, there is no way that business could be conducted in any other way than how we do it now. if we remove one revenue stream from one part of the equation, no other part of the system can be changed in any way whatsoever to compensate for the lost income of lower level clubs. this is impossible and could never happen

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

clearly, there is no way that business could be conducted in any other way than how we do it now. if we remove one revenue stream from one part of the equation, no other part of the system can be changed in any way whatsoever to compensate for the lost income of lower level clubs. this is impossible and could never happen

???

I'm asking what that way is. There doesn't seem to be anything proposed and wouldn't it be good to have something before attempting to massive change things?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jyrka posted:

???

I'm asking what that way is. There doesn't seem to be anything proposed and wouldn't it be good to have something before attempting to massive change things?

are you making the argument we shouldn't stop belgian people getting rich on the back of African traded labour because it might make less football clubs able to keep exploiting that labour

e;This is all very dumb and I hope Jerome Valcke runs away to Russia

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Clubs in the lower leagues literally exist by bringing up youth players and selling them on in transfer fees to bigger clubs. You remove that, what do they do to recoup that lost income?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Clubs in the lower leagues literally exist by bringing up youth players and selling them on in transfer fees to bigger clubs. You remove that, what do they do to recoup that lost income?

i'm not really sure this is true

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jose posted:

if we were talking about (say) a players' union contract negotiation this might be an important issue. but imo it's kind of irrelevant when the question at hand is actually whether the practice is a violation of labor rights. and if it turns out to be illegal, and this money drying up really does hit lower level clubs hard, it seems rather presumptuous to claim that the entirety of non-elite leagues will collapse and nothing will be done by anyone

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

A club like Crewe would have gone out of business years ago without their youth academy bringing players through. If they don't get any transfer fees for those players how do you replace that revenue stream?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

A club like Crewe would have gone out of business years ago without their youth academy bringing players through. If they don't get any transfer fees for those players how do you replace that revenue stream?

do crewe really make that much money selling players though? it seems to me they bring players through so they can stay in the league by playing them and selling one for a big fee provides money to improve the stadium/training ground or maybe provide money for a promotion push

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

serious gaylord posted:

That hasn't really been the case for the last 20+ years.

How many current players can you name in the Premier League who were bought directly from the lower leagues and aren't complete no-marks? There's a handful who did it as teenagers, but for the most part it's players being snapped up by the elite clubs and then put on a loan carousel until they shrivel up and die.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

do crewe really make that much money selling players though?

Their turnover was £2.31m in 2011 and then in 2012 they sold Nick Powell to Man United for 7.5m and Ashley Westwood to Aston Villa for 2.5m.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jyrka posted:

Their turnover was £2.31m in 2011 and then in 2012 they sold Nick Powell to Man United for 7.5m and Ashley Westwood to Aston Villa for 2.5m.

so they've basically done it like once ever. one of the things fifpro did was get an economist who mentioned is that trickle down economics in football is bullshit

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

so they've basically done it like once ever. one of the things fifpro did was get an economist who mentioned is that trickle down economics in football is bullshit

No, not once ever. You can google their transfer history if you want. This is what is allowing them to exist.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jyrka posted:

No, not once ever. You can google their transfer history if you want. This is what is allowing them to exist.

so if they didn't sell youth players for large amounts of money they'd go bust? or they'd just stay in league 1/2? and every club in league 1/2 also does this and not just crewe?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

so if they didn't sell youth players for large amounts of money they'd go bust? or they'd just stay in league 1/2? and every club in league 1/2 also does this and not just crewe?

I imagine they would go bust. Here's an interview with their chairman about their finances: http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/crewe-alex-chairman-calm-despite-5602784

I can't say for certain that all League 1 clubs are selling clubs but most definitely are.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

jyrka posted:

I imagine they would go bust. Here's an interview with their chairman about their finances: http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/crewe-alex-chairman-calm-despite-5602784

I can't say for certain that all League 1 clubs are selling clubs but most definitely are.

tbf he's just saying they use player sales to fund the academy there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jyrka posted:

all but like 5 clubs in the world are selling clubs. basing a clubs finances on ensuring they can produce enough wonder kids to make a lot of money off them is as stupid for a club as basing it off being in a competition they could easily not be in

i'm not saying the new system would be better but pretending like all lower league clubs would go bust because they can't sometimes sell a wonder kid is stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Some clubs have large crowds and chairmen that plug money into them. Some clubs exist by selling a bunch of youth players for 100k a year and occasionally get a star that they sell for a few million. Its not the wonder kids that keep these clubs up, its the regular turnover of lower quality players they feed into league 1 teams.