Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm quietly impressed that the goon-run EVE group has managed to stay together, seeing that almost every other goon project flies apart faster than you could say 'Zybourne Clock'

A combination of sunk cost and some people at the top probably making real money thanks to the russian aluminum mafia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

...How are you finding the chat and trading restrictions? I'm curious how noticeable they are playing normally.

This should tell you something, I didn't even know there were chat restrictions! I literally haven't grouped with anyone. I think I'm 43 by just exploring the map, doing random quests wherever I'm at and the main story missions.

I can trade now and I'll probably start doing that next time I play. You can imagine I don't have much money because the poo poo part has been a small amount of bag slots. It was hard to carry anything around. When I buy some weapons and slot up I'll see what a difference it will make. So far not knowing what I'm missing it's been pretty drat fun.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm quietly impressed that the goon-run EVE group has managed to stay together, seeing that almost every other goon project flies apart faster than you could say 'Zybourne Clock'

mostly because it's primarily held together by pubbies and momentum

hell they renamed clusterfuck alliance to something extremely dumb like The Alliance or The Empire or something and mittani mostly just uses it to sell out to his latest new friends on kickstarter. even non-active cfc members got some big email a few months back that was just straight up an ad to go play h1z1 or some other lovely zombie game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Minrad posted:

mostly because it's primarily held together by pubbies and momentum

hell they renamed clusterfuck alliance to something extremely dumb like The Alliance or The Empire or something and mittani mostly just uses it to sell out to his latest new friends on kickstarter. even non-active cfc members got some big email a few months back that was just straight up an ad to go play h1z1 or some other lovely zombie game.

It used to be called the "Clusterfuck Coalition" and now it's "The Imperium".

And yes mittani and like half the people in goonswarm stopped playing EVE in favor of zombie game H1Z1. Imo it shows impressive dedication to migrate from the 2nd worst game to the absolute worst.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

Everyone should play LISA. No one should play Wildstar.

And the .gif that summarizes all wild star

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

It used to be called the "Clusterfuck Coalition" and now it's "The Imperium".

And yes mittani and like half the people in goonswarm stopped playing EVE in favor of zombie game H1Z1. Imo it shows impressive dedication to migrate from the 2nd worst game to the absolute worst.

Last I heard goons "won" EVE in that there were no other major null sec alliances?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hobbesmaster posted:

Last I heard goons "won" EVE in that there were no other major null sec alliances?

Kind of. There are numerous power blocs but the "goon" alliance's dominance is relatively unchallenged. Many people probably could fight but EVE big shots are big dumb babies that would rather squat on their wealth than risk it in space ship fights. Competing alliances have actively chose to be happy with their small slices of pie instead of fighting for larger ones and the goon alliance doesn't want to risk their dominance in a big conflict trying to grab more. Basically everyone involved has decided their idea of a good spaceship video game is one in which you amass and secure wealth instead of having battles.

Basically EVE is a terrible game but it's one that perfectly suites its player base.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
EVE isn't a game it's a bunch of spreadsheets connected via some space ship models.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Actually wow finally hit upon something with the "you can only wear 3 pieces of crafted gear at a time, but that gear is as good as 99% of the content will ever give you" so it makes it easier to get a decent piece of gear in slots that are traditionally annoying, like a second weapon for fury (or both weapons, or just weapons in general for everyone). You also don't need to even have the craft to get the items, you can make a garrison building and put a follower in it to be your profession bitch, and all the materials will eventually poop out of your garrison except for felblight, which is just for the last two upgrades.

They're also probably going to throw it right out because blizzard doesn't iterate on something when they stumble across a good idea, so :shrug:

I believe they've confirmed a similar system will be in Legion, though there's something or other about rather than making upgrade tokens, you break down the old items to get Obliterium (rather odd name...), which can then be used to craft the upgraded items.

Presumably this means that, say, when you get an upgrade for the slot the crafted item's in, you can break it down and use the Obliterium to craft a piece for a different slot.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Shadowlyger posted:

I believe they've confirmed a similar system will be in Legion, though there's something or other about rather than making upgrade tokens, you break down the old items to get Obliterium (rather odd name...), which can then be used to craft the upgraded items.

Presumably this means that, say, when you get an upgrade for the slot the crafted item's in, you can break it down and use the Obliterium to craft a piece for a different slot.

Until we know what you have to break down for the obliterium that information means literally nothing. If you need to break down raid gear to get it and it's soulbound, and you personally have to have the craft skill because the garrison is gone now, then it's a pile of poo poo, and both of those things are likely.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How long is this closed F2P beta lasting?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I too am curious. Isn't the relaunch in September?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Free To Play officially begins on September 29th. Mark your calendars so you know when to not do anything at all.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Until we know what you have to break down for the obliterium that information means literally nothing. If you need to break down raid gear to get it and it's soulbound, and you personally have to have the craft skill because the garrison is gone now, then it's a pile of poo poo, and both of those things are likely.

I do believe I just said you get Obliterium from breaking down the crafted items and there is no reason to believe it will be soulbound.

quote:

There will be a "single system" to upgrade profession items. The current item will be destroyed, giving you a reagent needed for the upgrade (Obliterium).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

I do believe I just said you get Obliterium from breaking down the crafted items and there is no reason to believe it will be soulbound.

and where does the original item come from

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

and where does the original item come from

Uh what are you missing here?

Shadowlyger posted:

rather than making upgrade tokens, you break down the old items to get Obliterium which can then be used to craft the upgraded items.

You break down crafted items to get materials that will let you make a higher quality versions of crafted items.

e: They went over it at DragonCon.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=249023/legion-panel-at-dragon-con-highlights

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

John Dyne posted:

Uh what are you missing here?

You break down crafted items to get materials that will let you make a higher quality versions of crafted items.

e: They went over it at DragonCon.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=249023/legion-panel-at-dragon-con-highlights

I'm not missing it

It means you need the profession to make it. Which is one of the things I mentioned that would suck and be worse than wod's version of it.

edit: let's make this easy: until the game is launched and we can see the actual recipes I'm not going to be optimistic about anything crafting related.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 19, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

I'm not missing it

It means you need the profession to make it. Which is one of the things I mentioned that would suck and be worse than wod's version of it.

My bad, I didn't get you were making a point. :v:

Hopefully it's not BoP, and can be traded; maybe the new class halls will have crafting crap? Who knows yet.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

doesn't look very moe

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

doesn't look very moe

this really is the best metric to whether a game is good or not

if I can make my ashbringer look like a cat and hearts pop out of it when I swing it and the skull disc on it is an actual anime googley eye then I will play paladin forever

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

I'm not missing it

edit: let's make this easy: until the game is launched and we can see the actual recipes I'm not going to be optimistic about anything crafting related.

Of course you need the profession to make it. You can make stage 1 crafted pieces with the profession buildings, but you can't make the upgrade items without the actual profession so I'm not entirely certain what your point is.

I mean it's not like it's difficult to ask a guildie to craft something for you.

Also there are no cooldown-gated reagents.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 20, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Of course you need the profession to make it. You can make stage 1 crafted pieces with the profession buildings, but you can't make the upgrade items without the actual profession so I'm not entirely certain what your point is.

I mean it's not like it's difficult to ask a guildie to craft something for you.

Also there are no cooldown-gated reagents.

Are the crafted items bop? Or the Unobtanium or whatever the gently caress?

I'm just going to keep asking obvious rear end questions until you get the point, it's the socratic method of teaching.

How about :

What materials do the first recipes call for?
How will turning crafting into a questing experience work?
What if you're one of the shitload of people who dropped all their gathering professions because they didn't mean poo poo in wod?

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 20, 2015

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Are the crafted items bop? Or the Unobtanium or whatever the gently caress?
What materials do the first recipes call for?
How will turning crafting into a questing experience work?
What if you're one of the shitload of people who dropped all their gathering professions because they didn't mean poo poo in wod?

They aren't in WoD and there's a 99% chance they won't be in Legion. Savage Blood and Felblight aren't and I imagine Obliterium won't be either.
Whatever ore/cloth/leather it is that Legion will have, plus a dungeon-dropped material presumably like Frozen Orbs. Probably another elemental reagent like the Sorcerous X thingers in WoD.
Hell if I know but I'm interested to find out.
Then I guess you're gonna have to buy all your mats, aren't you?

All fairly obvious answers, really.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
As lovely as the game is (unless the devs made some really sweeping changes), I'm still gonna play it when it goes F2P, if only to see the quests and such on both factions. Stupid, yes, but I wanna do it before NCsoft inevitably pulls the plug so I can say I did.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

The group content was always enjoyable until endgame. I plan to tinker around with it and see if there's some fun to be had in dungeons.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

Stupid, yes, but I wanna do it before NCsoft inevitably pulls the plug so I can say I did.

Wait, you know the game is bad but want to play Wildstar so that after it's cancelled you can tell people you played it?

what is going on

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mayor McCheese posted:

Wait, you know the game is bad but want to play Wildstar so that after it's cancelled you can tell people you played it?

what is going on

I'm dumb. I also played TOR, Archage and Warhammer Online.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
Woah, don't drag Warhammer Online into this :colbert:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'll say this, I love that the same old diehard Wildstar players are -still- fighting every change they can on the official forums. I'd do a forums safari but I've been told not to, but highlights include denouncing the fact that random boss mobs would be moved out of low level questing areas, and sprinting would be made more player friendly.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

All fairly obvious answers, really.

And yet you can't figure out what the point is.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I don't know what horrible thing I will do if I find out one of you troglodytes started playing wild star. What powerful madness could compel a man to such horror.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

And yet you can't figure out what the point is.

Because you don't actually have a point.

I mean, unless your point is "Waah I have to actually go out and do stuff instead of afking in my garrison 24/7", in which case your point is invalid. Same if your point is "Waah I can't craft all things by myself", largely because you can't do that anyway.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 20, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Because you don't actually have a point.

I mean, unless your point is "Waah I have to actually go out and do stuff instead of afking in my garrison 24/7", in which case your point is invalid. Same if your point is "Waah I can't craft all things by myself", largely because you can't do that anyway.

My point is that almost all of the answers you're coming up with are guesses. We know basically dick about it, but thank god you're here to tell me what you think and why it's What Blizzard Will Do. If you wanna make poo poo up that's fine, just don't sit there like you've got an uncle working at blizzard who totally tells you everything.

Alternatively, keep going on about how I'm totally losing this internet argument to you because I'm not making poo poo up too.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

this really is the best metric to whether a game is good or not

if I can make my ashbringer look like a cat and hearts pop out of it when I swing it and the skull disc on it is an actual anime googley eye then I will play paladin forever

uhhhh. i can't remember why i made this post:

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

doesn't look very moe
:psyduck:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

My point is that almost all of the answers you're coming up with are guesses. We know basically dick about it, but thank god you're here to tell me what you think and why it's What Blizzard Will Do. If you wanna make poo poo up that's fine, just don't sit there like you've got an uncle working at blizzard who totally tells you everything.

Alternatively, keep going on about how I'm totally losing this internet argument to you because I'm not making poo poo up too.

What part of that is guessing, really? The dungeon-dropped mats were confirmed at Gamescon and they've had some variety of elemental reagent since Burning Crusade at least, I forget if they had anything like that in vanilla. There won't be any cooldown based profession mats (confirmed at Gamescon), so the only other things left are the standard crafting materials we've seen for the entirety of World of Warcraft. There is no guesswork there.

Likewise, crafted equipment hasn't been Bind on Pickup since Burning Crusade. There is precisely zero chance that the crafted equipment in Legion will be either. About the only guesswork here is the questing part, and hell if I've got any idea how that'll work.

Basically I'm saying your complaints/worries are unfounded.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Basically I'm saying your complaints/worries are unfounded.

The thing you're making up is that these things are set in stone and going to happen. Blizzard just spent an entire expansion dropping the ball, so I'm going to wait until they stop dropping the ball before I declare to the world that they're not dropping the ball.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
You should all play FFXIV, because it's the only good MMORPG out right now.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

You should all play FFXIV, because it's the only good MMORPG out right now.

nah it's still bad, especially now with it's endgame, it's worse than ever

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

well it's the least bad mmo atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The thing you're making up is that these things are set in stone and going to happen. Blizzard just spent an entire expansion dropping the ball, so I'm going to wait until they stop dropping the ball before I declare to the world that they're not dropping the ball.

Bliizzard took to heart the whole shorter patch turn over, it just means less time between expansion and even more anemic patches during the current expansion.

• Locked thread