Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weirdoman
Jun 12, 2001

I was walking down the street when I saw a bovus. And then it hit me...I was hit by a bovus.
Just a minor issue with the server browser.

Say I let the browser find the 1000 servers and go through the list and make my choice, usually look for a populated server as close to wave 1 as possible. I've found a wave 1 server with a couple in already so I join up and load in. I've often found a server with people just idling or not readying up for whatever reason, so I have to exit to title screen and try again. Why can't the server browser remember the servers I just had it search for so I can go back to the list and go to the next? I have to let it search again to find anything.

KF1's server browser was goofy, but it at least kept what you already found so you could go back to it quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Abandoned Toaster posted:

The core is a weak spot for FPs, just like it is with Hans. When FPs charge they're not really protecting their head, it's their core.

I'm guessing the C4 or explosion doesn't do bonus headshot damage or enough to their head?

I'm aware that the core is a weak spot, but I agree that you're right in suspecting that something is going on with regard to how bonus damage is calculated. ~~The spreadsheet~~ states that a one-man HoE Pound has 2325 body health and 812 head health, with a 1.5X weakness to explosions. At level 25, I'd expect a single C4 charge to do 1,000 damage before bonus. After the explosion weakness is applied, I'd expect 1,500 damage. The spreadsheet also states that there is a 1.1X multiplier for damage to the head and/or the core. So 1,650 damage all told, right? Stick the C4 on the head, I'd assume the head to explode. It doesn't. Stick it to the core, though, and the Pound get obliterated. Makes me feel like I'm either hallucinating what I saw or I'm missing something painfully obvious.

Re: Leveling perks - I really wish there were some other "grind" aspect to this than leveling your perks. The process is sufficiently long that I feel like people probably spend long playing without all the bonuses than they do with all the bonuses, and I think that's fairly dumb.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I'm not making any firm claims at this point, but it's probably worth doing some experimenting with approaches to quickly killing Hans. From a theoretical perspective, it looks like there are a few approaches that could be really, really good.

from a practical approach, switch to support. Or firebug. Or berserker. Or...I dunno, second medic so you can have two people get frustrated when he pulls out the bullshit melee death move?

In other words, while I agree radiation from nuke means it is theoretically possible a level 25 demo can contribute effectively against Hans, that doesn't solve the problems of a level 0-24 demo not having that option at all.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Re: Leveling perks - I really wish there were some other "grind" aspect to this than leveling your perks. The process is sufficiently long that I feel like people probably spend long playing without all the bonuses than they do with all the bonuses, and I think that's fairly dumb.

This is definitely true. Game needs more of that. Bonus challenges for players under 25 that provide XP rewards? Get 200 kills with weapon x to unlock fancy cosmetic option y to keep people even at 25 going? I dunno. Something. Maybe after they add another couple perks.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 18, 2015

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Psion posted:

This is definitely true. Game needs more of that. Bonus challenges for players under 25 that provide XP rewards? Get 200 kills with weapon x to unlock fancy cosmetic option y to keep people even at 25 going? I dunno. Something. Maybe after they add another couple perks.

People mining the game data found voice responses to players with prestige (as in resetting their levels for some minor bonus/bragging rights), so the latter is at least on the works.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Finally unlocked the Zed Shrapnel perk and oh my loving god this is the best ability. There may be more powerful abilities but this is the best! I think my favorite moment so far was spraying my MWGun into a group around a Scrake. Got 3-4 detonations which made everyone else stumble, which brought a Bloat low enough that he exploded, which brought the Scrake low enough that he exploded.

And while not as dramatic it's so very instantly satisfying to make trash detonate with a single shot of the Trenchgun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ZearothK posted:

People mining the game data found voice responses to players with prestige (as in resetting their levels for some minor bonus/bragging rights), so the latter is at least on the works.

I've seen that also and I think it's a bad idea. The exact opposite of what I want, in fact, because resetting to 0 makes your class suck again. Something to strive for at 25 (or to get you to 25 faster) keeps you engaged while still letting you actually play the class with all the bells and whistles.

Now it's still hypothetical so we don't know how exactly it'll play out but let's pretend it's a CoD style prestige reset. The problem is CoD has no difficulty levels - KF2 does and it matters. a KF2 prestige of that type would be, basically, "go back to normal and pretend you enjoy it, fucker."

Whereas in CoD you could still compete effectively post-prestige reset, you leveled up a lot faster, and you didn't screw over your 5 teammates just because you prestiged. Sure you don't have every gun and attachment and whatever but the effective difference between a 0 player and a max rank player is pretty narrow despite that. in kf2 the difference between 0 and 25 is a mile wide.

No thanks.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 18, 2015

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kikas posted:

Gotta move up to harder difficulties :v: And yeah it's like 100000x faster then KF1, I'd say that if you play your first 2-3 matches on normal, then move to Hard the level curve is actually pretty good up till lvls 14-15. Then it's Suicidal and HoE time.
Yeah, to be fair to KF I don't play it that much, maybe a round or two a day. I just got Firebug (and Supp) to Rank 10 and I'm playing long duration missions on hard for EXP.

What perks do people generally take on Firebug? I've been going Fully Stocked/Heat Wave as they seem pretty good. I'm finding it kind of hard to judge the other two though as I'm not too sure how the damage is distributed over time on firebug weapons or how good the molotov one actually is. I need to play around with them I think. Zed Shrapnel looks pretty self explanatory at Rank 15, then i'm unsure on the 20 one.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

fully stocked and heat wave are amazing and change the way firebug is played

never not fully stocked+heat wave

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

I've seen that also and I think it's a bad idea. The exact opposite of what I want, in fact, because resetting to 0 makes your class suck again. Something to strive for at 25 (or to get you to 25 faster) keeps you engaged while still letting you actually play the class with all the bells and whistles.

Now it's still hypothetical so we don't know how exactly it'll play out but let's pretend it's a CoD style prestige reset. The problem is CoD has no difficulty levels - KF2 does and it matters. a KF2 prestige of that type would be, basically, "go back to normal and pretend you enjoy it, fucker."

Whereas in CoD you could still compete effectively post-prestige reset, you leveled up a lot faster, and you didn't screw over your 5 teammates just because you prestiged. Sure you don't have every gun and attachment and whatever but the effective difference between a 0 player and a max rank player is pretty narrow despite that. in kf2 the difference between 0 and 25 is a mile wide.

No thanks.
The thought of resetting my perk(s) with the current length of time it takes to level something to max gives me Payday 2 pre-XP update infamy flashbacks. :whitewater:

Ok maybe not that bad but still

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah, to be fair to KF I don't play it that much, maybe a round or two a day. I just got Firebug (and Supp) to Rank 10 and I'm playing long duration missions on hard for EXP.

What perks do people generally take on Firebug? I've been going Fully Stocked/Heat Wave as they seem pretty good. I'm finding it kind of hard to judge the other two though as I'm not too sure how the damage is distributed over time on firebug weapons or how good the molotov one actually is. I need to play around with them I think. Zed Shrapnel looks pretty self explanatory at Rank 15, then i'm unsure on the 20 one.

20 is the one where you pick between range and spread, right? Range. Always range. Also as soon as you get your microwave, switch from Fully Stocked to Flareotov. Best of both!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Psion posted:

20 is the one where you pick between range and spread, right? Range. Always range. Also as soon as you get your microwave, switch from Fully Stocked to Flareotov. Best of both!
Oh poo poo, true, I forgot you could do that. :downs:

The range one sounds really good, I think the other is just splash damage but I'm not even sure how much that is out of the damage types of the flamethrowers. I think I need to do some reading up on it and how to actually play this game rather than just spraying fire on Zeds.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Psion posted:

Flipswitch posted:

Oh poo poo, true, I forgot you could do that. :downs:

The range one sounds really good, I think the other is just splash damage but I'm not even sure how much that is out of the damage types of the flamethrowers. I think I need to do some reading up on it and how to actually play this game rather than just spraying fire on Zeds.

Splash Damage boosts the ever-loving poo poo out of the microwave gun's damage if you aim at feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0d5dqInvKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJNunLdZk7c

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 18, 2015

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

The best Firebug perk is when your berserker buddy carries a spare Microwave Gun for you.

Also, apparently screenshots are being saved with low settings (or maybe just for me) because the screenshot of Hans being blown up without the scoreboard looks like he was drawn in MS Paint.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Add Kazvall on steam if you want to play kf2.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

The best Firebug perk is when your berserker buddy carries a spare Microwave Gun for you.

Also, apparently screenshots are being saved with low settings (or maybe just for me) because the screenshot of Hans being blown up without the scoreboard looks like he was drawn in MS Paint.

Wait this is quite a viable strat. I'll start taking micro on zerk to hold for firebug, lol.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Alkydere posted:

Finally unlocked the Zed Shrapnel perk and oh my loving god this is the best ability. There may be more powerful abilities but this is the best! I think my favorite moment so far was spraying my MWGun into a group around a Scrake. Got 3-4 detonations which made everyone else stumble, which brought a Bloat low enough that he exploded, which brought the Scrake low enough that he exploded.

And while not as dramatic it's so very instantly satisfying to make trash detonate with a single shot of the Trenchgun.

It's saved my life a couple of times, I've been running out of ammo and trapped with a swarm of trash zeds coming towards me and suddenly one will go boom and the alley way is clear again!

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
Doublebarreling scrakes is my life now.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Internet Explorer posted:

That would actually be a hilarious perk for the Gunslinger.

:ocelot:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ruggington posted:

Splash Damage boosts the ever-loving poo poo out of the microwave gun's damage if you aim at feet

this is interesting ... I'll have to try it out. On the other hand range matters a hell of a lot for the C&B, trench, and flamethrower (and the microwave when you aren't trying to focus down a scrake) so I'd still suggest it as an overall Good Choice. micro without range can't even cross half of the small rooms on Biotics Lab, it's shameful

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
I'm finding pubbies now that leave a few trash zeds alive and sit around for the medic to heal their armor up to full after each round. this is really goddamn annoying and it's making me dislike playing on 10 wave servers.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
kill the zeds

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Is soloing Suicidal a good measure of being ready to move to Hell on Earth? Because last time I tried HoE it ended horribly. All the perks I play are at or over 20 now, so it feels like I should be able to move up effectively, no?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

I'm finding pubbies now that leave a few trash zeds alive and sit around for the medic to heal their armor up to full after each round. this is really goddamn annoying and it's making me dislike playing on 10 wave servers.

It's way unnecessary too because a medic with Vaccination can repair armor to full in like 10 seconds even on players without health damage, in case anyone didn't know.

I guess keeping trash zeds alive to farm armor becomes a questionably valid tactic if you're under level 20 medic with only Armament, but that sounds like a drag.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

this is interesting ... I'll have to try it out. On the other hand range matters a hell of a lot for the C&B, trench, and flamethrower (and the microwave when you aren't trying to focus down a scrake) so I'd still suggest it as an overall Good Choice. micro without range can't even cross half of the small rooms on Biotics Lab, it's shameful
What does +range do for the trench gun? I haven't played FB all that much but it doesn't seem like the shots disappear.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Insert name here posted:

What does +range do for the trench gun? I haven't played FB all that much but it doesn't seem like the shots disappear.

Yeah, I've had no real issues with the Trench Gun at range, the shots don't just magically disappear. I have no idea how the +range/+width stuff would affect it unless it alters the cone of fire.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

sushibandit posted:

Is soloing Suicidal a good measure of being ready to move to Hell on Earth? Because last time I tried HoE it ended horribly. All the perks I play are at or over 20 now, so it feels like I should be able to move up effectively, no?

If you're able to solo Suicidal by yourself then I'd say yes you're ready to move up to Hell on Earth. Just cross your fingers because you'll either get paired with amazing players or amazingly average players if you're not playing with friends.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do Scrakes and Fleshpounds have any weaknesses other than just shooting them in the head a lot?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Do Scrakes and Fleshpounds have any weaknesses other than just shooting them in the head a lot?

The main weak point of Fleshpounds is actually the glowing crystal in their chest, and they also tend to be fairly vulnerable to explosions. Scrakes on the other hand are rather resistant to explosions, but I seem to remember that fire and microwave damage works pretty well against them.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Does anyone know if there are any plans to update the artbook with any more details now there's more stuff in the game? I'd love to see early design stuff for the firebugs weapons and the Volter Manor map.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was surprised at how much I liked the game even in it's current state. They improved just enough from the first one to make it feel fresh.
I bought it expecting to play it for an hour and refund it but ended up not only playing for 3 hours straight but also buying the Deluxe edition thing just for the soundtrack.

EDIT: I just hope that they'll end up adding enough content to the base game.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Tripwire please fix the Perk menu. If I select a perk it's not necessarily because I want to change it, sometimes I want to see what skills I have and how much XP I need to the next level. The game says the perk will be changed once the menu is closed but even if I select the same perk I have before I open the menu (meaning I don't change perks) it says perk changes applied and 1) I can't switch perks now if I want to even though I'm the same perk and 2) any bonuses from that perk are lost by selecting a different one even though I didn't close the menu and switched back. For example, I use my level 25 Medic to grind up Demo and Firebug sometimes. If I select one of those to see how much XP I need then click back to Medic before closing the menu I lose any armor and health over 100 even though the perk change wasn't supposed to apply.

Plus sometimes when I hit escape it automatically selects Berserker even though I didn't click it. It's happened a few times.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
About to hop on for a bit. If you'd like to try to group up for hard mode+ send me a message.

Steam Profile: DungeonsandDragQueens

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Insert name here posted:

it makes it ... better???

somehow??

Next time I play Firebug I'll try spread instead of range and see what it does (or doesn't) with the trench gun.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 20, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I wonder if it adds extra pellets with splash. I'm not a big fan of using splash with the CNB/FT/MG.

I'd like to see a fireball launcher whenever they add a fifth FB weapon.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I wonder if it adds extra pellets with splash. I'm not a big fan of using splash with the CNB/FT/MG.

I'd like to see a fireball launcher whenever they add a fifth FB weapon.

So you want them bring back the Husk Fireball Launcher? Personally I'd prefer the Flare Gun back but that was a decent weapon too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Abandoned Toaster posted:

So you want them bring back the Husk Fireball Launcher? Personally I'd prefer the Flare Gun back but that was a decent weapon too.

Well, I'd like to see both. I did prefer the Husk gun, though. Maybe servers with custom weapons will start to pop up at some point.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Commando's in a weird place right now, but while I can see some nerfs hitting Firebugs soon (seriously FBs are insane right now), I hope they'll buff the Commando too. Maybe they can boost its ability to stumble enemies or other movement control abilities so it can pull its weight against the big zeds, and at the same time that'll be its distinguishing feature versus Gunslingers.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Dear pubs,

When I'm tanking the scrake in a heroic effort to keep his great communicator from skull loving you, it would be very nice if you could keep the smaller zeds off my back while I'm doing it. And some healing wouldn't go amiss either.

Signed, Madaboutpubzerking.

P.S. I know I should play with goons and not pubs, but a games experience isn't complete for me until you've gone motherfuckingsonofabitchworthlessgoddamnassholes at a random group completely loving you over in the most hilarious manner. :nallears:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So if the matchmaker puts you into a game with a custom map, the map download box pops up with an "OK" button that closes the window for about half a second before it pops up again and continues the download. I think it should have a cancel button, just in case you don't want to wait for all 200 megabytes of Weed_Farm_v2 to download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Klaus88 posted:

Dear pubs,

When I'm tanking the scrake in a heroic effort to keep his great communicator from skull loving you, it would be very nice if you could keep the smaller zeds off my back while I'm doing it. And some healing wouldn't go amiss either.

Signed, Madaboutpubzerking.

P.S. I know I should play with goons and not pubs, but a games experience isn't complete for me until you've gone motherfuckingsonofabitchworthlessgoddamnassholes at a random group completely loving you over in the most hilarious manner. :nallears:

you can usually get a read on pubs behavior in the first couple waves. You gotta know by the time Scrakes show up they are gonna gently caress you over or not.
For me it's usually the point when you realize there are way more things to shoot and no one else shooting, i.e. everyone else is dead and it's just you left.
It's me, I'm the pub