Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA

Strudel Man posted:

Are they in hiding? There isn't really much in the way of special requirements. Hindus can't be commanders unless they're kshatriya caste, though.

No, none of them are. It seems like I'm only to make people who are in my court commanders, which seems really stupid when you're an empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

I'm thinking about giving CK2+ another try. Is it worth it?

It adds a lot of content, has a cool faction systems, tends to make blobs less stable. I like almost every change they've made but it runs very, very slowly for me. I don't know if I could manage a game longer than a hundred years or so.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
How are new mayors for cities under your control generated? Specifically, their culture. I turned Norse in Dublin and am slowly working on turning Ireland Norwegian because why not. I'm wondering if when new mayors/etc generate from unspecified sources (ie they're not inherited or I didn't appoint them) if they go with the culture of the territory they're in or the lord they're vassals to or the player character.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

my effigy burns posted:

No, none of them are. It seems like I'm only to make people who are in my court commanders, which seems really stupid when you're an empire.

It should be direct vassals + court. It's just a minor title, so everyone that you could normally give a title to you can give the commander tag to.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tendai posted:

I have no understanding of how the AI marriage works in this game. Just now I have a 16 year old daughter that I lucked the gently caress out on and had amazing stats/traits and the king of England sends me a message asking for someone for a wife for his heir. Is it pointed at my amazing daughter who has a reasonable claim on the two ducal titles I hold? No. It's pointed at my courtier with a hunchback and no good stats. :iiam:

The AI basically picks at random. It does pay *some* attention to prestige and claims, but not much. It does seem to prefer a culture match.

Tendai posted:

How are new mayors for cities under your control generated? Specifically, their culture. I turned Norse in Dublin and am slowly working on turning Ireland Norwegian because why not. I'm wondering if when new mayors/etc generate from unspecified sources (ie they're not inherited or I didn't appoint them) if they go with the culture of the territory they're in or the lord they're vassals to or the player character.

I'd have to go in and check, but I'm pretty sure when a new mayor or bishop is generated he'll have the same culture as his direct liege, whoever holds the county the title's under.

Baronies work like anything else; the current holder will have an heir, usually his first son. I like giving baronies out to Welshmen with a good Martial stat when I can find one. A Welsh commander is the only hope of making archers not useless anymore.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 18, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'd have to go in and check, but I'm pretty sure when a new mayor or bishop is generated he'll have the same culture as his direct liege, whoever holds the county the title's under.

Yeah I think whenever you use that button the resultant noble is always of your culture/religion.

I know for a fact I was installing Norsemen in England with that.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Hey guys, I've been wondering how clans/noble families are generated.

What I mean is, when you go from tribal to a Republic, does I generate random families or do your courtiers/vassals get considered? Same thing for clans - when you make a new clan, will if take someone from your court or is it just a random generation?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Saith posted:

What I mean is, when you go from tribal to a Republic, does I generate random families or do your courtiers/vassals get considered? Same thing for clans - when you make a new clan, will if take someone from your court or is it just a random generation?

random

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Saith posted:

For a republic specifically, it will try and generate the houses out of your landed tribal/republic vassals. Otherwise it just creates random ones if there aren't enough. It will also convert all of them to cities, and give them a castle + temple if possible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Playing as nomads is a very different way to play, and it's Easy Mode.

Would you mind explaining how to nomad? Because I have no idea. I can't hold territory, I can't raise levies, I can't make money and I can't win wars.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Eric the Mauve posted:

A Welsh commander is the only hope of making archers not useless anymore.

I missed this change, how bad is it?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jedit posted:

Would you mind explaining how to nomad? Because I have no idea. I can't hold territory, I can't raise levies, I can't make money and I can't win wars.

You use and abuse your Horde-effectively a retinue/merc force all of your own, controlled from the Retinue page. You start with 500 dudes, mostly cavalry. Buy up cheap forces to bulk yourself up(There are initial choices that cost Prestige in both cost and maintenance rather than Gold). Use that to raid and take land(Remember you have things like County Conquest, so there's always SOMETHING to take). Use the Population and thus Manpower you get from taking such land to bulk the horde further. Start with weak tribes. You really don't need levies much, if at all. The hardest part is the start, because you have so little.

Money's a pain to raise, in truth. It's dependant on unused Pop/Manpower and the upgrades in your capital. Certainly, you want to pillage places for instant gold and tech and to get Pop and Manpower, but holding them also means you get max taxes out of them regardless of what they think of you.

Thanks to you being mostly Cavalry you can punch well, WELL above your weight.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

whaaaat

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hordes really Hinduism, I've noticed.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bloodly posted:

Money's a pain to raise, in truth. It's dependant on unused Pop/Manpower and the upgrades in your capital. Certainly, you want to pillage places for instant gold and tech and to get Pop and Manpower, but holding them also means you get max taxes out of them regardless of what they think of you.

Just at the very beginning, with time it will start raining gold coins on you, it is easier than merchant republics really. 100 years from the start I had 20g monthly income. 200 years from the start and now I have 70g income and 20K in cash cause there is nothing to expend money anymore.

And I never even bothered to raid on this game. Just keep expanding, build all things that help income and trade in your capital, and move it to a silk trade province ASAP, the income you get from trade posts is awesome, specially after you build the trade buildings.

Im finding that late-game nomad gets somewhat more challenging. The thing is: you have a lowered vassal limit, no viceroys and cant give kingdom titles except to nomad vassals. So what happens is that when you get huge, you will have to start giving kingdoms to your vassal khans. And since they are limited to 8, some of then will get too strong. And then will try to overthrow you (even if they like you).

Most dangerous war I had on the entire game was when 2 vassal khans rose against me, together they had more troops than me, and the same kind of troops too. But by then I was already filthy rich, so Ive hired lots of mercs and it was easy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Hordes really Hinduism, I've noticed.

Whenever I've seen a Hindu horde, the leader is an adventurer; which leads me to guess that it was probably a son who started a mercenary company, got hired in India, and through that got an event or something to convert to Hinduism.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There is a savage sort of joy in throwing a horde in the holdings of the Caliph and selling him his sons and daughters over and over again, while sometimes raising them to be concubines. Especially because it helps destabilize the blob.

Just wish I could do something about Khazaria being a huge pain, they expanded too far to the west and I don't think any rebellions have a tiny chance in hell to escape the yoke.

Being tribal next to the hordes is hell. Like, goddamn, it is hell.

DStecks posted:

Whenever I've seen a Hindu horde, the leader is an adventurer; which leads me to guess that it was probably a son who started a mercenary company, got hired in India, and through that got an event or something to convert to Hinduism.
They can convert to any religion that hires them and apparently also some that don't; there's an event for converting to Judaism for instance.

Also, anyone that hasn't tried being a Horde in a non-horde part of the world should try it. Just use the "set_government nomadic_government CHARID" command and go nuts.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So I'm playing my first game as a Norse Pagan, presently the King of Norway, and I just managed to conquer Norfolk. Trouble is, because I'm tribal, evidently the castle is of the wrong holding type. What exactly am I supposed to do about this? All my lackeys are tribal pagans as well, I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to generate a feudal subordinate to manage this land for me.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

prussian advisor posted:

So I'm playing my first game as a Norse Pagan, presently the King of Norway, and I just managed to conquer Norfolk. Trouble is, because I'm tribal, evidently the castle is of the wrong holding type. What exactly am I supposed to do about this? All my lackeys are tribal pagans as well, I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to generate a feudal subordinate to manage this land for me.

If there's an empty holding slot in the province, you can build a tribal settlement there, then set it as the county capital, which will demote the castle to a minor barony that can be given out like a church or city. You'll have a grumpy baron, but only until you advance to feudal. Alternatively, just hang onto it. The major problem with it is it gives you less tax and levies, but it's still arguably better than a tribal holding as far as money goes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bloodly posted:

You use and abuse your Horde-effectively a retinue/merc force all of your own, controlled from the Retinue page. You start with 500 dudes, mostly cavalry. Buy up cheap forces to bulk yourself up(There are initial choices that cost Prestige in both cost and maintenance rather than Gold). Use that to raid and take land(Remember you have things like County Conquest, so there's always SOMETHING to take). Use the Population and thus Manpower you get from taking such land to bulk the horde further. Start with weak tribes. You really don't need levies much, if at all. The hardest part is the start, because you have so little.

Yeah, but I can't buy any forces, Prestige or otherwise, because I don't have the manpower, and I can't conquer any land because everyone around me is on equal terms and attacking anyone gets the rest to jump me. I'm sure it's a great snowball, but it's not possible to get it moving.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jedit posted:

Yeah, but I can't buy any forces, Prestige or otherwise, because I don't have the manpower, and I can't conquer any land because everyone around me is on equal terms and attacking anyone gets the rest to jump me. I'm sure it's a great snowball, but it's not possible to get it moving.

Where and when do you started? Keep in mind that your 100% cavalry horde troops are far superior than regular troops, you can take armies bigger than yours easily.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 19, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I'm now executing my fifth wife for adultery, and none of them have even been with the same dude. Apparently my courtiers are just horny as poo poo.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Someone do a challenge run where you make sure every heir you have is the result of adultery. A whole dynasty of cuckolds. Hell, make it an achievment.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've been having a lot of fun playing as the Duke of Rostov in 1066. I'm pretty sure playing as Rurik's desendants in 1066 is a far better tutorial now than Ireland is. You're surrounded by small allied states with not too many enemies and plenty of pagans to pick on. You can form the kingdom of Rus very easily and have claims on basically all of the other Rurikid states. Rostov is tribal but I'm pretty sure some of the other Rurikids are feudal.

sidenote:
How far into modern China and Mongolia does the new map reach?

I assume it has most of Xinjiang but I'm not really good enough with maps. Is there anywhere I could find a good comparison of the CK2 projection and a proper map of the same areas because I hear there is a lot of distortion and irregularities.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 19, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FreudianSlippers posted:

sidenote:
How far into modern China and Mongolia does the new map reach?

I assume it has most of Xinjiang but I'm not really good enough with maps. Is there anywhere I could find a good comparison of the CK2 projection and a proper map of the same areas because I hear there is a lot of distortion and irregularities.

I haven't checked to see what the holdings are, but the Tarim Basin is in, and it goes a little past that in the north, maybe to Ulaangom?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
It reaches out to Anxi, which is now called Guazhou County which is just past Xinjiang.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I'm having an issue with the 'Launch Prepared Invasion' CB disappearing after a few months of having the Invasion underway. Is this just a straight bug or is there some condition for that CB beyond 'currently be preparing an invasion' I don't understand?

For reference I am Jorvik preparing an invasion of Scotland.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Where and when do you started? Keep in mind that your 100% cavalry horde troops are far superior than regular troops, you can take armies bigger than yours easily.

769. Is that non-viable?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jedit posted:

769. Is that non-viable?

Totally viable, Ive started on 769 too, and my game was very easy.

I dont know here you are, I choose as a vassal Khan in the Uyghur Kahaganate. At the start, there are all those buddhist counties to the south, you can pretty much conquer one after the other without much trouble. You should be able to take then even with inferior numbers, your troops are a lot superior.

Take then all before someone else does and you and then you should have enough manpower to go after bigger targets, like smaller nomads and those not-so-big muslin kingdoms in Persia. And never stop warring.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

I had a pre-Horse Lords game where most of Siberia ended up Hindu. Not sure how that happened.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Hadaka Apron posted:

I had a pre-Horse Lords game where most of Siberia ended up Hindu. Not sure how that happened.

nice av

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I have 100% Victory against a revolting kingdom of my empire, but I can't enforce demands because their holdings are occupied by a bunch of raiding vikings. Does "occupied" mean the vikings actually control the holding, or they just have an army positioned in a county? If the former, how do I see a list of the specific holdings being occupied?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

FutonForensic posted:

I have 100% Victory against a revolting kingdom of my empire, but I can't enforce demands because their holdings are occupied by a bunch of raiding vikings. Does "occupied" mean the vikings actually control the holding, or they just have an army positioned in a county? If the former, how do I see a list of the specific holdings being occupied?
It means they've sieged down the holding and have it occupied, visible on the default map view just like all other occupied holdings. Just look for counties sieged down in other colors.

Though if they're actually raiding, it will unoccupied itself when they move on.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Hahaha, did anyone else not know there was a black plague event? I just picked up the restore the roman empire, pentarch and mend the schism achievements, and literally one year later every county in the empire has black death smoke over it and I've got a backlog of 400+ "____ has contracted/died of buebonic plague" alerts.

:pusheen:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Totally viable, Ive started on 769 too, and my game was very easy.

I dont know here you are, I choose as a vassal Khan in the Uyghur Kahaganate. At the start, there are all those buddhist counties to the south, you can pretty much conquer one after the other without much trouble. You should be able to take then even with inferior numbers, your troops are a lot superior.

Tried that. Half my "superior" troops got killed in a Pyrrhic victory against an equivalent sized force, then the Buddhists called in allies outnumbering me three to one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

THE BAR posted:

I missed this change, how bad is it?

Archers used to have a skirmish value of 5. Now it's 2. And sieges now use the melee values (where archers have a 1) instead of skirmish. So unless you have a Welshman running the Massive Longbow Volley, archers are now just useless fodder like light infantry.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I started up a game as the Duke of Lombardy in 1337, and everyone died of the plague in the span of about 2 years. Fastest game over I've had yet.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's gonna take a while for my fastest loss to beat the 24,000-man breton revolt eight months into a Haesteinn game.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Dareon posted:

It's gonna take a while for my fastest loss to beat the 24,000-man breton revolt eight months into a Haesteinn game.

There used to be a 130 year old Indian king with a 100 year old heir, you could pick him and game over in a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Yashichi posted:

There used to be a 130 year old Indian king with a 100 year old heir, you could pick him and game over in a week

Wait what

• Locked thread