Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Crust First posted:

I uhh, what?

Alrighty.

slide rules are embedded in the collective unconscious of pretentious assholes who should get dick aids and die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

klafbang posted:

How would you like a super-inconvenient way to tell time? Yeah, baby!

You can make it into a pocket watch to look like a steam-punky douche, and it comes with a bracelet where it can fall off for your inconvenience. If that's not enough to roll you in, it's got pictures of hipsters and made its goal times four in a few hours.

i got to the part about their "product ecosystem" and realized that if they were real, Ray Shmuckles and Tina Whatever her last name was would have absolutely started that lifestyle brand, they'd have put it on Kickstarter, they'd make enough money for Ray to buy his soul back from the Devil.

Then I realized I was writing fanfic in my bain so I swallowed a whole powerdrill & turned it on.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Man I didn't realize the budget on these new Marvel movies had been cut so drastically.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

klafbang posted:

How would you like a super-inconvenient way to tell time? Yeah, baby!

You can make it into a pocket watch to look like a steam-punky douche, and it comes with a bracelet where it can fall off for your inconvenience. If that's not enough to roll you in, it's got pictures of hipsters and made its goal times four in a few hours.

quote:

The KLOK-01 by klokers is much more than a watch, it is a Machine to Travel through Time.
This sounds just like the sovcit crap "I am not a person, I am a representative of the entity that goes by the name John Doe."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pathetic little tramp posted:

slide rules are embedded in the collective unconscious of pretentious assholes who should get dick aids and die

IRTA "embedded in the collective rear end in a top hat of..." and wondered exactly how you thought they worked.

Slide rules are actually pretty clever, but there's better ways to do what they do - mostly involving a calculator. On the other hand, it's possible for a skilled abacus operator to perform operations faster than someone with a calculator. Guess they're in the wrong business.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
i'm bouncing between this thread and star citizen, its hard to tell the difference.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
This thread is out now, Star Citizen will be out in two weeks.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Give me $25 and I will permit you access to the next post.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Give me $25 and I will permit you access to the next post.

Does it include lifetime insurance?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/story

It's a retro style game system for modern games using the same mold of the highly successful atari jaguar.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Azubah posted:

It's a retro style game system for modern games using the same mold of the highly successful atari jaguar.

They want 2M to roll out their own hardware that "never updates" and people are going to develop games on it ? Is it like a less succesful ouya ?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

quote:

Today’s network-dependent video game systems infuriate us.

Having to download and install system updates or game patches robs us of time we want to spend playing. Some updates even rob our systems of functionality or the ability to play our favorite games. Making games depend on network servers robs us of the game temporarily when our network connection goes down, and forever when the server is decommissioned.

Truly these fine folks have a handle on the great issue of our times!

And to solve the problem: here's an underpowered, undersupported box with a handful of mediocre games full of bugs that can't ever be fixed.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Azubah posted:

Wow, that's a pretty nice looking controller prototype they have here!

...hold up

Eh, just a coincidence I suppose.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
It's literally a SNES controller merged into a Wii U Pro controller! :lol:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

unpacked robinhood posted:

They want 2M to roll out their own hardware that "never updates" and people are going to develop games on it ? Is it like a less succesful ouya ?

Yes. Also the games are impossible to update as well, unless you buy a replacement cartridge. No free updates on this system!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Great Rumbler posted:

Holy poo poo. I was wondering why there were two sets of Start and Select buttons.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Great Rumbler posted:

Truly these fine folks have a handle on the great issue of our times!

And to solve the problem: here's an underpowered, undersupported box with a handful of mediocre games full of bugs that can't ever be fixed.

I think that point has to be reiterated. Part of the reason that Nintendo never had issues with cartridge games is because they had to pass not only the creators' quality assurance department but Nintendo's as well.

And even then you still have bugs creep up, like that Goldeneye "spinning guards" glitch.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

bvoid posted:

Wow, that's a pretty nice looking controller prototype they have here!

Eh, just a coincidence I suppose.

Wow, that's literally a lovely 3rd party Wii U controller.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

No, it's literally this.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Young Freud posted:

And even then you still have bugs creep up, like that Goldeneye "spinning guards" glitch.
Your point is fine in the abstract, but this particular glitch required tilting your cartridge, which is going to gently caress things up basically no matter what. (You can make Link fly around in Ocarina of Time by tilting your cartridge as well).

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Young Freud posted:

Another good example is whichever SNES Final Fantasy it was that some stats (like MDEF) did nothing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

anticake posted:

Another good example is whichever SNES Final Fantasy it was that some stats (like MDEF) did nothing.

Final Fantasy VI, which despite being really simple mechanically had vast swaths of its combat system fundamentally broken; not only were there stats that did nothing but there were also status effects that didn't work and items whose abilities didn't trigger.

It makes you really appreciate modern games because even somthing as massive and complex as Skyrim was never that broken.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

Final Fantasy VI, which despite being really simple mechanically had vast swaths of its combat system fundamentally broken; not only were there stats that did nothing but there were also status effects that didn't work and items whose abilities didn't trigger.

this is cool is there anywhere you can read about this.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is cool is there anywhere you can read about this.
One resource is Elephantgun's Let's Break FF6 LP.

I'll draw special attention to the Sketch glitch, which is about as bad as a glitch can get (short of arbitrary code execution), and is fairly easy to stumble upon in casual play. (The 'Murder everything' update in the link covers a few other gems, like the Psycho Cyan glitch.)

FreeKillB has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Sep 19, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

I bought one of those a few weeks ago and so far it's been rad. It's really comfortable.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
A handy reference.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Who runs that? Because they really shouldn't be listing Pathfinder Online as "normal progress, some signs of risk" after what happened with them.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
The Yogventures and Forsaken Fortress entries are also outdated.

Yogventures was indeed cancelled but a different dev is basically making that game now :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

senrath posted:

Who runs that? Because they really shouldn't be listing Pathfinder Online as "normal progress, some signs of risk" after what happened with them.

It's also missing Sword of Fargoal 2 from the "Under 75k successes". Development has been very slow because the guy behind it rather obviously made up the last few thousand out of his own savings, but the backers do have a playable beta. It's doing better than bloody Desktop Dungeons, which I think was four years late.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

senrath posted:

Ironically enough I think it's crowdsourced.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Sleeveless posted:

Ironically enough I think it's crowdsourced.

One of the mods over at NeoGAF set that up and runs it.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Kickstarter posted:

Kickstarter Inc is no more. We’re now Kickstarter PBC — a Public Benefit Corporation. We’re thrilled to share this news, and we’d love to take a minute to tell you exactly what it means.

Until recently, the idea of a for-profit company pursuing social good at the expense of shareholder value had no clear protection under U.S. corporate law, and certainly no mandate. Companies that believe there are more important goals than maximizing shareholder value have been at odds with the expectation that for-profit companies must exist ultimately for profit above all.

Benefit Corporations are different. Benefit Corporations are for-profit companies that are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not only shareholders. Radically, positive impact on society becomes part of a Benefit Corporation’s legally defined goals.

Kickstarter is excited to join a growing list of forward-thinking organizations — like Patagonia and This American Life — that have taken the big step to become a Benefit Corporation. While only about .01% of all American businesses have done this, we believe that can and will change in the coming years. More and more voices are rejecting business as usual, and the pursuit of profit above all.

If you want to see what we think is important, you can find a link to our Benefit Corporation charter here. We’ve spelled out a specific list of values and commitments we’ll live by: We renew our longstanding commitment to arts and culture. We declare how we plan to conduct ourselves in situations that are often swayed by profit motives. And we newly commit to donate 5% of annual post-tax profits to arts education and organizations fighting inequality. Every year, we’ll release an assessment of how we’re performing on the commitments we’ve made.

There was not a single dissenting vote by a Kickstarter shareholder to re-incorporate as a Benefit Corporation. We’re once again grateful for the support and partnership we’ve had from this group of friends, investors, and current and former team members. Thank you all!

From Kickstarter’s inception, we’ve focused on serving artists, creators, and audiences to help bring creative projects to life. Our new status as a Benefit Corporation hard-codes that mission at the deepest level possible to guide us, and future leaders of Kickstarter.

To all the creators and backers who have helped make Kickstarter what it is today — we’re excited to keep working with you, and helping new creative projects come to life as Kickstarter PBC.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's patently absurd but any public benefit from the fleecing of the technotariat is unarguably a good thing.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
who's being fleeced MS and Cubify getting free advertising?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

It's patently absurd but any public benefit from the fleecing of the technotariat is unarguably a good thing.

what

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
So remember those glowing cat ear headphones on indieGogo?

So the good news for backers is they're finally being made and shipped out soon after Brookstone (everyone's fave maker of overpriced crap) bought out the project. The bad news is by buying it through Brookstone you get them with free shipping and cheaper than the original indieGogo price, and no sooner than the people buying it through the store. That, and it's cheap Brookstone crap. Way to reward the backers there.

Edit: Brookstone has since raised their price on their website; I guess they realized the optics were kinda bad.

stillvisions has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Sep 23, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pugz/pugz-worlds-smallest-wireless-earbuds-you-charge-w?ref=fundedtoday

Not the worst idea in the world, although the video is kinda :wtf:

But what really bothered me was the line

quote:

The key differentiator in PUGZ earphones UX is our patented self guiding magnetic connector we call: "The Squircle". For the best electrical conductivity and styling, we chose this in 18 K Gold.

"Its not a square, its not a circle we call it - The Squircle"

A squircle? Really? Also check your punctuation there guys.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pugz/pugz-worlds-smallest-wireless-earbuds-you-charge-w?ref=fundedtoday

Did they not know that a squircle is an actual shape already? Or that Microsoft made a big deal about the squircle on the Zune 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

Wireless earbuds that have several wires. Cool