Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's gotta be Dragnet.

Yeah, it is Dragnet, from the episode The Big High. They weren't too subtle, were they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

No man Shakespeare is totally mediocre, just writing crap for the masses, I mean have you even seen Titus Andronicus?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Here's a good challenge: name a cop show where the cops just do their jobs, and not in a sarcastic, cynical or obviously illegal way. I got Adam-12 and that's it.

Oh man, Adam-12 brings back some memories along with CHiPS and Emergency! Would CHiPs fit your challenge? It's been far too long to remember if there was any cynicism in it, but I recall it being a pretty tame show full of do-gooders. In elementary school I proudly carried around big metal lunchboxes with scenes from each of those shows on them. I think the Emergency! lunchbox had a scene of the guys using the jaws of life or something to pry a kid's head out of a wrought iron fence!

Here's something I've always wondered but have been too lazy to investigate - throughout TV history, has there been more police, medical, or law room dramas and by what margin? Anyone have an idea?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Here's a good challenge: name a cop show where the cops just do their jobs, and not in a sarcastic, cynical or obviously illegal way. I got Adam-12 and that's it.

Would Walker Texas Ranger or In the Heat of the Night qualify?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

pahuyuth posted:

Oh man, Adam-12 brings back some memories along with CHiPS and Emergency! Would CHiPs fit your challenge? It's been far too long to remember if there was any cynicism in it, but I recall it being a pretty tame show full of do-gooders. In elementary school I proudly carried around big metal lunchboxes with scenes from each of those shows on them. I think the Emergency! lunchbox had a scene of the guys using the jaws of life or something to pry a kid's head out of a wrought iron fence!

Here's something I've always wondered but have been too lazy to investigate - throughout TV history, has there been more police, medical, or law room dramas and by what margin? Anyone have an idea?

CHiPs seems really post MASH with the kind of flippant professionals characterization. But yeah, probably. I guess I'm so used to the Law and Order style of smartass cops who think it's OK to ignore due process because they're in the right.

To answer your second question, if private detectives count as law enforcement there's no question it's cops.

Parachute posted:

Would Walker Texas Ranger or In the Heat of the Night qualify?

In The Heat Of The Night is a pull. I guess the righteousness of the whole affair was kind of the point right?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

nate fisher posted:

The original Dragnet series. Just the facts!

Yea but Dragnet glorified cops acting like assholes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

Excluding daytime programming, I'd guess "police" by a fair margin.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
[quote="pahuyuth" post="450387535"]

"10ccs ringer's lactate!"

Severed arm...10ccs Ringer's Lactate. Facial burns...10ccs Ringers Lactate. Dog bite, 10ccs Ringers Lactate. Big splinter, 10 ccs Ringer Lactate.

"Be bah bur baa bahn bee!", SIX obnoxious noises! This is gonna be a good episode.""

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

david_a posted:

You can't mention The Twilight Zone without The Outer Limits. For the longest time I thought it was the same show! From what little I've seen of Outer Limits it seems to be a bit more explicitly sci-fi than Zone, which occasionally is more pure fantasy. It's on Hulu I think.

Other good ones were Science Fiction Theater (1950s created by Ivan Tors of Flipper fame) and Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected which is loving incredible. Sadly neither are on streaming that I could find.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tales of the Unexpected is on Youtube here and there, and it's loving great.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Tales of the Unexpected is on Youtube here and there, and it's loving great.

Oh man. This is excellent news.

It also reminded me that Hammer House of Horror is a thing. Think it only had 13 episodes but they were alot of fun.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
miami vice was more or less a straight cop show. sometimes. it was also awesome and well worth a watch on netflix.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yeah, it is Dragnet, from the episode The Big High. They weren't too subtle, were they.

"Marijuana is the fuse, LSD is the bomb!"

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

The 87th Precinct, but hardly anyone's seen that one. (Also not streaming anywhere.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Do they have to be protagonists? Because otherwise you could do a lot of crime focused movies, like Wolf of Wall Street or Lord of War (e: I guess this one does have him leave Nic Cage out in the middle of nowhere for two days).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I was beaten to Dragnet, but how about Barney Miller or Highway Patrol?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Emergency! seems to just be entirely about representing rescue procedure as realistically as possible. The characters are as bland and dedicated to doing their jobs as any you'd find in a training film. 60s people were apparently very entertained by seeing CPR and people being put onto gurneys.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Really? No one's thought of Cop Rock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLm5Sn1cMyQ

I have family members who are cops, they say it's 100% accurate.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Jack Gladney posted:

Emergency! seems to just be entirely about representing rescue procedure as realistically as possible. The characters are as bland and dedicated to doing their jobs as any you'd find in a training film. 60s people were apparently very entertained by seeing CPR and people being put onto gurneys.

70s and yes we were.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really liked Rescue 911.

SaintFu posted:

The 87th Precinct, but hardly anyone's seen that one. (Also not streaming anywhere.)

Based on the Ed McBain series? I'm skeptical.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eh, `realism' arguments are always pretty much a mug's game but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Hill Street Blues yet. At the time it was definitely intended to be almost documentary in tone and so was an influence on a lot of television prestige dramas that followed it, but at the same time it doesn't look like what we'd expect today out of a serious/realistic (with appropriate scare quotes) police procedural like The Wire.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I realize fully that my question is name a cop show with the most bland characterization imaginable.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Carl Winslow always did his job correctly and by the book.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Other good ones were Science Fiction Theater (1950s created by Ivan Tors of Flipper fame) and Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected which is loving incredible. Sadly neither are on streaming that I could find.

Oh man, I was a huge fan of Roald Dahl's short fiction he wrote before he started doing kids books, and now I learn there's a TV show? I am so on board.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think you could argue that Reno 911 is one of the more realistic cop shows that has ever existed.

Recommendation content: Surviving Desire, Hal Hartley's debut, as well as his Girl From Monday and a bunch of shorts, are up on that there Fandor service.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

I think you could argue that Reno 911 is one of the more realistic cop shows that has ever existed.

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYnGLOJ1X4k

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Glamorama26 posted:

Carl Winslow always did his job correctly and by the book.

Until he shot a kid.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Until he shot a kid.

They need to combine both universes and reveal the kid he shot was actually Steve Urkel.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I don't know if this one has been mentioned before but I just watched Time Lapse and it was surprisingly OK. Wasnt expecting anything going in. The summary is three friends stumble across a device which takes photos 24 hours in the future. They use it for personal gain but then things start to unravel. Check it out if you like messing with time thriller type movies.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Yeah, seconding Time Lapse as an OK not-too-serious thriller/time mystery movie. It's a little contrived but worth a watch. My biggest complaint was that the main characters were a little too stereotypical and you can kinda expect how things will progress.

It has more of a stylized stage play vibe rather than a stark realism of films like Primer.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Also just finished Byzantium and was very impressed. I've seen it pop up a few times but just glossed over it. The description doesn't do it justice. It's a Neil Jordan vampire film following a two women. Neil Jordan also directed Interview With The Vampire, Butcher Boy and The Crying Game. The film is stunning visually and is brilliantly characterised. Of the three films I watched tonight this was my favorite. Kill Me Three Times was so so. Simon Pegg was good though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fliptophead posted:

I don't know if this one has been mentioned before but I just watched Time Lapse and it was surprisingly OK. Wasnt expecting anything going in. The summary is three friends stumble across a device which takes photos 24 hours in the future. They use it for personal gain but then things start to unravel. Check it out if you like messing with time thriller type movies.

I meant to recommend this earlier, it's pretty great, it's definitely kind of a "less insanely complicated Primer" feel. Really good and the ending actually surprised me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fliptophead posted:

Also just finished Byzantium and was very impressed. I've seen it pop up a few times but just glossed over it. The description doesn't do it justice. It's a Neil Jordan vampire film following a two women. Neil Jordan also directed Interview With The Vampire, Butcher Boy and The Crying Game. The film is stunning visually and is brilliantly characterised. Of the three films I watched tonight this was my favorite. Kill Me Three Times was so so. Simon Pegg was good though.

Don't leave out The Company of Wolves.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Fido was a relatively entertaining zombie comedy. The hook is that it takes place in an alternate reality 1950s where zombies have been domesticated as servants. I was hoping it would do a lot more exploring around whether zombies are still people (like some of Romero's movies) but it honestly squanders this despite strongly hinting it's going to go there. I didn't pick up on any major messages about slavery/classism or anything either, despite the setting basically begging for it. No colored zombies either, although that's probably due to being a Canadian movie :) The highlight is the nauseating 1950s aesthetic with those aquamarine land-barges, bold colored houses, housewife dresses, etc. It's worth a watch if you're in the mood for a more lighthearted zombie film but it doesn't leave much of a mark.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

david_a posted:

Fido was a relatively entertaining zombie comedy. The hook is that it takes place in an alternate reality 1950s where zombies have been domesticated as servants. I was hoping it would do a lot more exploring around whether zombies are still people (like some of Romero's movies) but it honestly squanders this despite strongly hinting it's going to go there. I didn't pick up on any major messages about slavery/classism or anything either, despite the setting basically begging for it. No colored zombies either, although that's probably due to being a Canadian movie :) The highlight is the nauseating 1950s aesthetic with those aquamarine land-barges, bold colored houses, housewife dresses, etc. It's worth a watch if you're in the mood for a more lighthearted zombie film but it doesn't leave much of a mark.

I love Fido. It explored some interesting angles that would probably come up in a post-Zombie apocalypse world (i.e. nursing homes having to be placed in prisons, children being taught from a young age to shoot).

It's basically an hour and a half episode of Lassie, which seems like a one note joke, but it never got old for me.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I love Fido. It explored some interesting angles that would probably come up in a post-Zombie apocalypse world (i.e. nursing homes having to be placed in prisons, children being taught from a young age to shoot).

It's basically an hour and a half episode of Lassie, which seems like a one note joke, but it never got old for me.
Yeah, that part is good, but I wish it did more explorations of that other than just mentioning it. I thought for sure there was going to be some twist about what was really happening in the wild zone outside of these sheltered Utopias but that didn't happen either.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

fliptophead posted:

Time Lapse made me feel like writers are a little hard up for new ideas for time-fuckery movies, but it was so-so.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Dylan Baker is great in Fido. I wish he had more roles.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Lycus posted:

Time Lapse made me feel like writers are a little hard up for new ideas for time-fuckery movies, but it was so-so.

What I liked about it was the single set piece - they never showed outside the complex. Like was mentioned, it felt like it was meant for the stage, but for me this wasn't a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I watched The Visitor on Prime last night and... I still don't know. I think it would pair great with The Apple, but otherwise... I just... dont know.