Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

5c isn't 64bit I'm guessing. It's a requirement for content blocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

So even though I bellyached before about ad-blocking not being that big of a deal, I figured I would go ahead and give Purify a shot and clunk down four bucks on an app that I may or may not even get that much mileage out of.

However, the App Store told me that the app was incompatible with my device. What the gently caress? I'm using a 5c temporarily until I pick up the 6s, why wouldn't this device be supported? I'm running 9.1 beta. Blegh.

Content blockers require 64 bit devices

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

EugeneJ posted:

Anyone find a way to keep Low Power Mode on even through a charge?

When I plug my iPhone in and it's in Low Power Mode, once it gets above 80% battery a message pops up saying something like "device now has sufficient power, exiting Low Power Mode". This is annoying because then whenever I take the phone anywhere I have to go into the settings and re-enable it.

Don't know how to fix your problem, but you can just tell Siri to turn Low Power Mode on instead of going through settings.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Pissingintowind posted:

Pretty sure I just found a bug.

Enabled restrictions for "News" to turn it off, then disabled the restrictions to turn it back on. The icon is now nowhere to be found, Siri can't find the app, and neither can Spotlight. However, I still get the feed in the shortcuts screen, but if I click a story, nothing happens.

Can someone confirm or let me know how to fix this?

I had this problem but a reboot fixed it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I opened News and tried adding some of the sites I follow, hen I decided that I like Feedly more and put it in a folder.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tuyop posted:

I opened News and tried adding some of the sites I follow, hen I decided that I like Feedly more and put it in a folder.

I use feedly so my query about when I'd actually get to use News was essentially to ascertain if I'd like it more.

It's a struggle to find RSS feeds that don't suck though. A paragraph of text or a headline is kinda sucky when the browser doesn't have access to Reader view. Sites that put the whole news piece into the RSS feed rule though.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

tuyop posted:

Pretty much exactly my experience except I use Newsblur.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I use Google News and the New York Times app. Apple News kind of sucks for a variety of reasons, unfortunately.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Deleted flipbook for News, it's actually a really well done reader with just the right amount of "steve" sprinkled over it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is that new Wifi assist setting not active yet? I don't seem to have it on my AT&T 6 on 9.0

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've not seen anyone mention the News app. I thought it was part of iOS 9 and was running in the US on launch day but delayed here in the UK? Am I wrong? It's hard to google 'iOS 9 news' and variants and actually getting info that's useful, and not just about iOS9.

Maybe it's US only? I don't have it either in AU.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is that new Wifi assist setting not active yet? I don't seem to have it on my AT&T 6 on 9.0

It's at the bottom of a ridiculously long list of whether to use mobile data on/off for every single app on your device.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Well, this loving sucks. I neglected to buy AppleCare+ for my iPhone 6+ that I bought last November, and thought it was like the desktop AppleCare thing, where you can just buy it any time within the first year. NOPE.

Guess my dad gets my old phone without a care plan, and I shell out the $129 loving immediately for my new 6S+.

E: gently caress Apple, I can't order the AppleCare+ for my 6S+ because I didn't order it at the same time as the phone. Guess I'll be calling AppleCare tomorrow between business hours to ask them to add it to my order.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

kode54 posted:

Well, this loving sucks. I neglected to buy AppleCare+ for my iPhone 6+ that I bought last November, and thought it was like the desktop AppleCare thing, where you can just buy it any time within the first year. NOPE.

Guess my dad gets my old phone without a care plan, and I shell out the $129 loving immediately for my new 6S+.

E: gently caress Apple, I can't order the AppleCare+ for my 6S+ because I didn't order it at the same time as the phone. Guess I'll be calling AppleCare tomorrow between business hours to ask them to add it to my order.

You've got 30 days after you receive your 6S+ to buy AppleCare+, I don't think you can get it before you receive the device because you have to get it inspected in-store or run a remote diagnostic for the AppleCare team.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, you can still add it, just not before you get it. They even allow third party stores like mine (SimplyMac) to add it as long as we inspect if first.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Chortle posted:

You've got 30 days after you receive your 6S+ to buy AppleCare+, I don't think you can get it before you receive the device because you have to get it inspected in-store or run a remote diagnostic for the AppleCare team.

It's 60 days now. Just call, run a quick diagnostic, and you're set.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kode54 posted:

Did you buy it on a credit card? Check to see if they offer warranty extension. You might never need to buy AppleCare+ unless you need accidental damage coverage!

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

AppleCare + isn't even a good deal anymore unless you are ridiculously klutzy and break phones more than once a year and even then only if it's more damage than a cracked screen.

It's now the cost of a broken screen to buy it period and then 99 for an incident.

Next to useless unless you are needing the full phone replaced.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
How often do you see a cracked screen without associated damage to bezels and other scratchable surfaces? I would rather get those replaced than keep looking at those every day after an incident. Plus mah resale value. Value with cracked or scratched surfaces plummets.

AC+ is not a GREAT deal because Apple knows exactly how to price this stuff to maximize profit, but would I get given a chance? Yep.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 20, 2015

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

News magically started working last night. I like the app, but I wish there was a way to see less of certain stories.

Like I want to see articles about the state I live in, but I really don't give a poo poo about the college football programs, which is like 80% of what it's showing me.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So am I alone in thinking that with new iOS9 Task Manager view, or whatever it's called when you double tap the home button, Apple was dumb as hell for putting the home screen on the right side, on top of the stack so it's literally always in the way?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

How often do you see a cracked screen without associated damage to bezels and other scratchable surfaces? I would rather get those replaced than keep looking at those every day after an incident. Plus mah resale value. Value with cracked or scratched surfaces plummets.

AC+ is not a GREAT deal because Apple knows exactly how to price this stuff to maximize profit, but would I get given a chance? Yep.
The iPhone 6 screen breaks very readily without any damage to the bezels. Unless scuffs and scratches are worth it to you. Minor cosmetic damage doesn't hurt resale value enough to offset this, unless you're really selling something that looks equivalent to a new refurb.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

GreatGreen posted:

So am I alone in thinking that with new iOS9 Task Manager view, or whatever it's called when you double tap the home button, Apple was dumb as hell for putting the home screen on the right side, on top of the stack so it's literally always in the way?

Always in the way of what? As soon as you enter that view, whatever previous app you were in is at the forefront, the app you were just in is moved over to the right, and the home screen is even further to the right of that. How is it "literally always" in the way?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Khablam posted:

Minor cosmetic damage doesn't hurt resale value enough to offset this, unless you're really selling something that looks equivalent to a new refurb.

It really does. $100 or $200 easy, or you just plain won't be able to sell it to anyone but Gazelle. The market is totally flooded with 6's for sale at the moment, there was a dude here that just could not sell his basically mint 6 in SA-Mart.

Also, obviously, the decision whether to purchase AC+ is heavily dependent on your lifestyle. If you're gallivanting all over the world with your phone, you probably want it. If you're Joe American, it might not be necessary.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 20, 2015

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Always in the way of what? As soon as you enter that view, whatever previous app you were in is at the forefront, the app you were just in is moved over to the right, and the home screen is even further to the right of that. How is it "literally always" in the way?

The home screen is always on the right side, or the top, of the stack, so if you're dealing with your most recently used apps, the home screen is always covering the right section of the screen, which is the place where your thumb is most comfortable doing the manipulating if you're right-handed. I feel like I'm always reaching around the home screen to manipulate apps.

The home screen should be on the left of everything, at the bottom of the stack, because it's the one screen you can't close, meaning there's no reason to interact with it in this part of the interface, so it should be as out of the way as possible.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 20, 2015

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Michael Scott posted:

It really does. $100 or $200 easy, or you just plain won't be able to sell it to anyone but Gazelle. The market is totally flooded with 6's for sale at the moment, there was a dude here that just could not sell his basically mint 6 in SA-Mart.

This is making me feel better about getting on the Apple Upgrade plan. Knowing that I can just swap out for a new phone without dealing with any market fluctuations is pretty nice.

More and more people keep catching on that you can buy and flip an iPhone easily on craigslist or Gazelle or whatever. How long before the days of selling iPhones for 80% of the purchase price are gone? Seems like Apple is aiming to take a chunk from that market and Verizon/ATT/TMo are all making phones seem "cheap" to own with the new payment plans / early upgrades.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Baller Witness Bro posted:

This is making me feel better about getting on the Apple Upgrade plan. Knowing that I can just swap out for a new phone without dealing with any market fluctuations is pretty nice.

Speaking of this, does anyone have the terms to the purchase plan? What is the condition requirement after 1 year for swap-in.. scratches, etc.? Or do they just not care?

aBagorn posted:

I have everything in one folder called "apps" and use spotlight search/recent apps to get to everything

This is funny if true.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 20, 2015

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Quite frequently. If you have a case, it is super common to just crack the screen and that's how most damage occurs.

And again, it's 129 to replace a screen without AppleCare and a minimum of $229 to repair one with AppleCare including the cost of the plan. Would much rather gamble on not needing to replace the whole phone and be out the extra 100 bucks if I needed to rather than definitely front the cost of AppleCare

Cozmosis fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 20, 2015

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Cozmosis posted:

Quite frequently. If you have a case, it is super common to just crack the screen and that's how most damage occurs.

And again, it's 129 to replace a screen without AppleCare and a minimum of $229 to repair one with AppleCare including the cost of the plan. Would much rather gamble on not needing to replace the whole phone and be out the extra 100 bucks if I needed to rather than definitely front the cost of AppleCare

The biggest thing you are forgetting is that AppleCare also extends the warranty, which is something I would find more likely using over the course of two years. This also includes the accessories with the phone, like the Lightning cable and EarPods. While I have never personally broken a screen, AppleCare has saved my bacon thanks to the extended warranty. Like when the touch screen stopped responding to touches 14 months after purchase.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

This is funny if true.

Quite true.

It's way easier (for me, YMMV) to swipe down and type (for example) "du" and tap my Dunkin Donuts app than to swipe through pages of apps/pages in a folder.

:shrug:

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

NerdsMcGee posted:

The biggest thing you are forgetting is that AppleCare also extends the warranty, which is something I would find more likely using over the course of two years. This also includes the accessories with the phone, like the Lightning cable and EarPods. While I have never personally broken a screen, AppleCare has saved my bacon thanks to the extended warranty. Like when the touch screen stopped responding to touches 14 months after purchase.

While that is true, you can get this automatically buy purchasing with many credit cards, namely Amex.

Point taken on a purchase you're keeping for 2 years, however, but I will definitely maintain its poor value on a phone you're upgrading yearly.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Cozmosis posted:

While that is true, you can get this automatically buy purchasing with many credit cards, namely Amex.

Point taken on a purchase you're keeping for 2 years, however, but I will definitely maintain its poor value on a phone you're upgrading yearly.

How does Amex handle the warranty though? If I'm in a pinch and the phone died, I can walk into an Apple Store and have the phone replaced immediately under the extended warranty.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

EugeneJ posted:

Anyone find a way to keep Low Power Mode on even through a charge?

When I plug my iPhone in and it's in Low Power Mode, once it gets above 80% battery a message pops up saying something like "device now has sufficient power, exiting Low Power Mode". This is annoying because then whenever I take the phone anywhere I have to go into the settings and re-enable it.

You can swipe the notification on the lock screen and it'll bring up an option to re-enable low power mode.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
It seems like something they'd put in Control Center, but maybe they couldn't make it fit or didn't want to encourage its use since it downclocks the phone. I don't know. They should at least let you set an option where it'll automatically kick in at 20% battery.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

NerdsMcGee posted:

How does Amex handle the warranty though? If I'm in a pinch and the phone died, I can walk into an Apple Store and have the phone replaced immediately under the extended warranty.

From the website:

Make sure the item is one year or less outside the coverage of the original U.S. manufacturer's warranty.
File a claim online or over the phone at 1-800-225-3750. Claims should be filed as soon as possible after you identify that your item is defective.
Provide copies of your original itemized store receipts, your Card record of purchase, and the original manufacturer's warranty.
Keep the defective item, in case you're asked to return it to AMEX Assurance Company, and any other documents we may ask for to process your claim. Please keep a copy of the shipping statement, so we can reimburse you for the shipping cost.
We will review your claim, which typically takes 7-14 business days. You can check the status of your claim anytime online or by calling 1-800-225-3750.
If your claim is approved, you will receive a reimbursement equal to the value of your defective item up to $10,000.

Also:

You will only be covered up to the amount charged to your Card, up to $10,000 per occurrence, and coverage cannot exceed $50,000 per Card Member account per calendar year. Any shipping and handling costs from the original purchase won't be refunded.
When the original manufacturer's warranty on your covered purchase expires, Extended Warranty♦ can take effect.
Please read other important exclusions and restrictions below.

I've filed claims before, they're pretty easy, and both times they didn't ask for verification ($80-100 value items). The main downside is it is what you put on the card, so its a bit unclear with installment plans how that works.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 20, 2015

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

NerdsMcGee posted:

You take the phone in for repair at Apple and pay what they charge with your Amex. Amex will then credit the cost of the repair and may or may not ask you to send them a copy of the repair receipt. Easy.

Edit: Beaten though the other instructions were for the 90 accidental damage, theft, and loss protection I think. Either way, Amex will reimburse either the repair cost or the whole device cost up to $1000 per incident. More if you have a platinum card.

Brock Landers fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 20, 2015

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

NerdsMcGee posted:

I have 5 Apple Stores within 30 minutes and none have same day availability for iPhone genius bar appointments. Does AC+ get you walk-in service or priority appointment scheduling?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Ochowie posted:

I have 5 Apple Stores within 30 minutes and none have same day availability for iPhone genius bar appointments. Does AC+ get you walk-in service or priority appointment scheduling?

No.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've used my CC to extend my warranty twice now. You just go in, drop the full replacement cost on the same CC and walk out, then spend 40 minutes submitting paperwork within 3 months and they refund the cost of the repair. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The phone I want isn't available for pickup in any stores in my city. Is there generally a stock of phones held for if I wait in line all night? I normally don't do that but my phone is a piece of poo poo.