Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Yes, posting retarded poo poo like this excuses intentionally posting big plot reveals from things. I'm sure people who were told that Vader is Luke's dad would have appreciated it if someone else in the crowd had yelled out "Oh and the death star is also an orange!" because that would have totally nullified what the first person said. People get on edge about spoilers because they like actually figuring out or seeing things for the first time and it's just lovely to go out of your way and ruin it for other people.

Excuses it? I'm just shocked that no one seemed to be rushing to tell me to put them in spoiler tags. Now, if someone had shouted that Leia was actually an Empirical plant that was just to draw as many Jedi out of hiding that would've been a better fake-spoiler.

Trying to make a point that if you stop taking the actual spoilers as legitimate and gloss over them they get discredited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I played like 20 minutes of Metal Gear Solid V and man that game owns so hard. I hope Kojima keeps making awesome games.

Undertale:

You encounter Lesser Dog!

Fight
>Act
Items
Mercy

>>Actions
>Check
*Pet
*Pet
*Pet
*Pet
*Pet

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

Excuses it? I'm just shocked that no one seemed to be rushing to tell me to put them in spoiler tags. Now, if someone had shouted that Leia was actually an Empirical plant that was just to draw as many Jedi out of hiding that would've been a better fake-spoiler.

Trying to make a point that if you stop taking the actual spoilers as legitimate and gloss over them they get discredited.

Except they won't. If someone posted "Snape Kills Dumbledore" you could ignore it all you want but it's still there. Not everyone will believe it, but it's going to ruin someone's read of the book and saying "Just make something up in response :smug: " won't make it any less true because chances are something made up on the spot will be easily identified as bullshit. It really takes no effort to not be an rear end in a top hat. This isn't even the first time he revealed this exact same thing and you rushed in to defend him. Feel free to jerk off over making people care about spoilers or whatever, but ruining a major plot twist like that is just a dick move.

Anatharon posted:

Undertale:

You encounter Lesser Dog!

Still probably my favorite encounter in the game. It was goofy.

Also seconding the Kojima thing. I loved the Boktai games, even when he's not making Metal Gear he can make weird and interesting things and given his reputation I doubt he'd have trouble getting the funding, even if he had to resort to crowd funding.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Sep 19, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Except they won't. If someone posted "Snape Kills Dumbledore" you could ignore it all you want but it's still there. Not everyone will believe it, but it's going to ruin someone's read of the book and saying "Just make something up in response :smug: " won't make it any less true because chances are something made up on the spot will be easily identified as bullshit. It really takes no effort to not be an rear end in a top hat. This isn't even the first time he revealed this exact same thing and you rushed in to defend him. Feel free to jerk off over making people care about spoilers or whatever, but ruining a major plot twist like that is just a dick move.

I'm not saying it's not a dick move! I'm saying you can't stop people from posting spoilers aside from being a mod and maybe suggesting respond with bullshit so people don't actually believe it? If someone posts a spoiler for a game and no one takes it seriously and people go on to play the game over five weeks because of being an adult with many important things to do it might maybe be possible they forget about it? I dunno, I don't have a solution to things either but I saying I think it might help better than telling them to shut up and basically confirming it outright by reaction.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Stop white knighting a loving troll you moron.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Or we could set things up in a way that we aren't required to post loads of white noise in order to drown out the unwanted information, I think that would altogether make for much better threads.

e: plus if we employed that as a policy everyone would know that whatever kicked off the latest round of noiseposts was the real deal and we'd be right back at "confirmation through reaction."

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Sep 19, 2015

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
gently caress you guys I love this thread but I just popped phantom pain a few days ago and it's so good I really don't want to know more. I don't think this thread should be spoiler heavy, but I have to look at the pyf memes thread now for bathroom giggled cause you guys are being dumb. It's not like spoiler rules are hard, guys.

/Bitching

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Or we could set things up in a way that we aren't required to post loads of white noise in order to drown out the unwanted information, I think that would altogether make for much better threads.

e: plus if we employed that as a policy everyone would know that whatever kicked off the latest round of noiseposts was the real deal and we'd be right back at "confirmation through reaction."

Eh, fair enough. I was genuinely trying to come up with another solution since you can't really stop people from purposely posting unmarked spoilers if that's their prerogative, so okay, we'll do it your way. It'll probably pan out better.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Also the thing he spoiled gets telegraphed really, really hard to the point where characters basically say it to your face repeatedly every other main mission, so it's hard to brush off as a funny joke post

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Man, this thread took a nose dive in a hurry. I like how TPP sheds light on Otacon's character and how you feel about a certain character is greatly enhanced by how much you cared about Otacon's story in MGS 1, 2, and 4. But if you don't know or care about who Otacon is, the character in question doesn't lose any significance in TPP.

I guess I'm complimenting the game because I think it's neat to have an in-depth knowledge of what happens to some of the characters after the game ends. It's classic irony to see them play out their roles while knowing their fates for the next thirty years.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Also the thing he spoiled gets telegraphed really, really hard to the point where characters basically say it to your face repeatedly every other main mission, so it's hard to brush off as a funny joke post

I'm almost at the end of the game and still didn't know

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah ArtIsResistence's whole deal is just [spoiler]just being a huge rear end in a top hat in every thread he posts in. [/spooler]

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hitting a telephone pole with a jeep normally does nothing, but if it's raining out and you're wet, the cords will shock you to death :allears:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Lady Naga posted:

Hitting a telephone pole with a jeep normally does nothing, but if it's raining out and you're wet, the cords will shock you to death :allears:

Well yeah, but what has that to do with video games?

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Still probably my favorite encounter in the game. It was goofy.

All the dog encounters were pure gold as far as I'm concerned.
Even the one in the lab. Poor lil fella(s?) just wanted some love. :unsmith:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Shai-Hulud posted:

Well yeah, but what has that to do with video games?

I was playing my 3DS at the time.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

SomeIdiot posted:

All the dog encounters were pure gold as far as I'm concerned.
Even the one in the lab. Poor lil fella(s?) just wanted some love. :unsmith:

You start the game with a stick equipped. If you unequip it and use it as a item, you throw the stick. You can use it to great effect in all fights against a dog ( and two non dog ones)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just got a volunteer on Mother Base who had an A+ medical rating and the Troublemaker (Unsanitary) skill.

I'm sure everything will be fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kaubocks posted:

however because of you spoiling me on what I feel is likely a critical plot point I have to change the way I play to experience the story as quickly as possible to avoid being spoiled on more things.

Or you could stop reading the thread where every second person is posting about that specific game. :shrug:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Tiggum posted:

Or you could stop reading the thread where every second person is posting about that specific game. :shrug:

It's his fault that someone else was an rear end in a top hat? :confused:

How does that work?

edit: This is a lovely derail so I'd like to actually put some thread related content in here. One of the bigger outposts in Afghanistan has a small shooting range, and I happened to catch a guy actually using it and getting some target practice in. So I watched the board he was shooting at, and he was either missing it entirely, or just clipping the edges. I look over at him to analyze him, and he was an E rank in his combat skill.

liquidypoo has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Sep 20, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm gonna contribute more MGSV little things too.

There's a conversation between two Soviet soldiers early on in the side op where you have to extract a Russian interpreter. Obviously, you don't have the interpreter so you won't understand their conversation, but the big Piggyback guide has a translation that goes:

Soldier: You do speak English, right? Interpretation section for Western information must be pretty hard. I see the light turned on until late in the evening.
Interpreter: Yes, we read their newspapers or magazines the whole day. I also dream in English.
S: Really? Tell me something interesting that I can tell an American someday.
I: Alright, then repeat after me.
I: "I spent..."
S: "I spent..."
I: "...last night..."
S: "...last night..."
I: "...with your girlfriend."
S: "...with your girlfriend."
I: Not bad.
S: Fine. What does this mean?
I: It means: "I'm a good friend of your friend."
S: Nice sentence! Even in the Cold War, nothing is better than to be friends.
I: Yeah, so that we can exchange blows.
S: Ha ha, indeed! Teach me more someday.
I: Sure. Bye.

:allears:

There's also a conversation between two soldiers in Africa about why they like the Afrikaans language even though it's a sore point for some other Africans. :allears:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Even though The Sims is a series where the main gameplay involves watching your virtual people eat and poop, I appreciate that The Sims 4 acknowledges that some activities are just too boring to play through. Like waiting for a cab, or sleeping. The clock jumps immediately to the end of the activity (or sends you right to the chosen location, for the former).

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Rama of Ra posted:

This. I still have swinging dreams. And finally unlocking all your stunt tricks is the best. Finally jumping off the Empire State Building (which I think is the only building high enough to do this) and pulling off your whole stunt routine was something.

http://www.happionlabs.com/energy-hook/

The guy behind the swinging physics in Spider-Man 2 made his own game that's all about doing swinging stunts.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Arkham Origins not only will the martial artists compliment you if you fight them well, Batman will compliment the martial artists.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

mycot posted:

Even though The Sims is a series where the main gameplay involves watching your virtual people eat and poop, I appreciate that The Sims 4 acknowledges that some activities are just too boring to play through. Like waiting for a cab, or sleeping. The clock jumps immediately to the end of the activity (or sends you right to the chosen location, for the former).

The last game did this too? Your Sim would go to work and the game would fast forward to the point he/she came back.

edit: assuming I didn't accidentally mod that in

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Lord Lambeth posted:

The last game did this too? Your Sim would go to work and the game would fast forward to the point he/she came back.

I think they mean that time jumps to the end of the activity, not just running at max speed for X amount of in-game hours?

I haven't touched Sims 4 since it came out, maybe I should check it out to see if they've given it some more polish or more of a hook. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't… I dunno. It didn't hook me into the same compulsive cycle of binge for a week/ignore for three months/binge for a week that the first three did.

On topic: some of the pun lines in Dota 2 are awful/great. Kunkka's 'fish and crits' line when you buy a critical chance modifying item makes me groan every time I hear it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

slingshot effect posted:

On topic: some of the pun lines in Dota 2 are awful/great. Kunkka's 'fish and crits' line when you buy a critical chance modifying item makes me groan every time I hear it.

I used to think the best punmeister was Lion, because of how many puns he can make. He's got lion, hand AND hell puns at his disposal, so he's got variety.

But the real best at puns is Enchantress, who has so many, and implements them so well, that you're going to need to hear them a few times before you recognize them as puns and not just idle talk.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's just an extra speed setting that kicks in when no sims are active. Like three times faster than normal so you can speed through your sim sleeping in like half a minute because what's the point in watching a little computer man sleep?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, when all your Sims are at work or asleep or otherwise uncontrollable there's a special time setting that only activates in that circumstance that causes the numbers on the clock to fly by in a blur and a nine-game-hour shift to fly by in like 5 seconds. I grinned ear-to-ear like a big doofus when I saw that the first time because previous games just used the regular fast forward which still took forever.

slingshot effect posted:

I haven't touched Sims 4 since it came out, maybe I should check it out to see if they've given it some more polish or more of a hook. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't… I dunno. It didn't hook me into the same compulsive cycle of binge for a week/ignore for three months/binge for a week that the first three did.

Even if you don't buy any of the DLC (which has all been pretty good so far) they've added a lot of stuff in free patches... Ghosts, pools, extra careers, all kinds of stuff. I'd recommend trying it again, I liked it at release and it only got better since.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
One of the things Destiny got criticized for was how you needed to grind the Strikes (big missions requiring a team) to get anything and how that got really repetitive really quickly.

All of the Taken King Strikes seem to have multiple variations that can be played through, including different dialogue and even different enemies/objectives.

For example, one Strike on Mars requires you to fight your way up a skyscraper filled with enemies. The first time through, one of the objectives involved destroying these giant gun turrets and the place was filled with evil robots called Vex. My second time through, the gun turrets were gone (since they belonged to the Vex) and I had to fight my way through a running firefight between the Cabal (giant space marine walrus rhinos) and Taken (the new enemy faction made up of members of the other factions).

It really goes a long way towards making things feel less repetitive.

Polaron has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Sep 20, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Polaron posted:

One of the things Destiny got criticized for was how you needed to grind the Strikes (big missions requiring a team) to get anything and how that got really repetitive really quickly.

All of the Taken King Strikes seem to have multiple variations that can be played through, including different dialogue and even different enemies/objectives.

For example, one Strike on Mars requires you to fight your way up a skyscraper filled with enemies. The first time through, one of the objectives involved destroying these giant gun turrets and the place was filled with evil robots called Vex. My second time through, the gun turrets were gone (since they belonged to the Vex) and I had to fight my way through a running firefight between the Cabal (giant space marine walrus rhinos) and Taken (the new enemy faction made up of members of the other factions).

It really goes a long way towards making things feel less repetitive.

The SABER strike has a lot of differing dialogue for your Ghost, too. In one instance he complimented Rasputin (an AI defense weapon that is super important to the world because he basically has tons of hidden space weapons everywhere) on living in a giant bunker full of defense mechanisms while lamenting that he lives in your backpack.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Calaveron posted:

The SABER strike has a lot of differing dialogue for your Ghost, too. In one instance he complimented Rasputin (an AI defense weapon that is super important to the world because he basically has tons of hidden space weapons everywhere) on living in a giant bunker full of defense mechanisms while lamenting that he lives in your backpack.

I love the new Ghost. He sounds so genuinely excited to be helping you.

"Hey, do you ever think we shouldn't have woken the Hive? But then we'd never have had such great times with those guys!"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Polaron posted:

I love the new Ghost. He sounds so genuinely excited to be helping you.

"Hey, do you ever think we shouldn't have woken the Hive? But then we'd never have had such great times with those guys!"

I like how Nolan didn't try to imitate Dinklage, he just went with a more nerdy voice and made it his own thing.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Undertale gives you complicated narratives decisions to handle. Such as how to date a skeleton.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I like all the little references in Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, but this is one of my favorites: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=To_Serve_Man

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

chaos rhames posted:

Undertale gives you complicated narratives decisions to handle. Such as how to date a skeleton.

Shame on you for not including an image of his dating outfit.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
In MGS5 they do the same technique as halo to set look inversion:

at the start they ask you to look up and no matter whether you press down or up on the stick you'll look up, setting whether you naturally go inverted or not.

It's probably my favourite UX thing directly in games.

I also always gently caress up and set inverted whenever they use it because I always deliberately go wrong to find out if it's being used :downs:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

chaos rhames posted:

Another little thing about that particular fight. That particular enemy has a pretty catchy 8-bit theme that plays on the overworld. At the start of the fight, that theme plays. There's a running joke about how ineffectual that character is at everything, which continues into the fight with attacks you can easily dodge.

Then he turns on the gravity.

Up to that point, there was no gravity during fights. This turns him from a complete joke into a very real threat, due in no small part to lasting noticeably longer than any of the earlier bosses.

At this point, his real theme start playing.

"You're blue now."

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

FAROOQ posted:

In MGS5 they do the same technique as halo to set look inversion:

at the start they ask you to look up and no matter whether you press down or up on the stick you'll look up, setting whether you naturally go inverted or not.

Supposedly if you do nothing when prompted, the doctor gets mad at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Described below are mild spoilers for the game Undertale, consisting of the first hour or so of gameplay.

The first NPC you encounter, Flowey, is a malevolent creature that wants to hurt you. I let Flowey hurt me without realizing it meant to. Toriel, a bunny surrogate mom that wants to be your teacher, shooed him away.

Later on, after being helped by an NPC, I pushed the story forward and had to fight Toriel for the first time, I accidentally killed her because I didn't know you could just "Spare" multiple times to end the fight.

I reloaded my save, redid the boss fight, and Spared Toriel. Afterward, Flowey interrupted my progression. Because I had quit the game, reloaded, and refought Toriel to spare her, Flowey called me out on savescumming to spare Toriel.

I'm 2 hours in and this game is already chock full of awesome little details like that. Not even counting The skeleton dating simulator, which I played through to its (as far as I am now, just barely beyond the first Undyne spear-dodging minigame) conclusion.I got friendzoned by a skeleton :saddowns: