Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I believe the explanation is that Quiet's lungs are torched and non-functional from the prologue (before she was given the parasite power-up), so she can only breathe through her skin unlike Code Talker and The End who can do both. But yeah, it's a pretty shallow excuse at best when they worked backwards from "we want a hot lady who wears almost nothing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Finally beat the game. Kojima should really never make video games again. Instead Hollywood should hire him to cut trailers. He managed to turn the blandest cutscenes into something amazing. Those trailers are a 100 times better then the story.

Is there any cutscenes in the game that didn't end up in one of the trailers? Serious questions I legit got disappointed the more I played as it seemed I had already seen most of the cutscenes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Am I screwed out of 100% from losing Quiet since I only developed the suppressed non-lethal rifle and the XOF Outfit for her?

Item development doesn't count toward completion percent, only missions/mission tasks do.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I've constantly been using the not-M1911, just because of course Venom would inherit his fanboyism over them.

The good old days, when Big Boss would sit on a metal bunk with no bedding admiring a beautiful gun while a sexy lady was never more than 10 seconds away from jumping his bones at the slightest indication of interest and then calling his gun nut buddy who wasn't evil yet, Sigint, to also describe to him about how loving cool this gun actually is.

I was extremely disappointed when putting a code in for "Big Boss' M1911A1" in MGS4 gave you an M1911A1 that looked nothing like the gun in Snake Eater.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Throb Robinson posted:

Is there any cutscenes in the game that didn't end up in one of the trailers? Serious questions I legit got disappointed the more I played as it seemed I had already seen most of the cutscenes.

No.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There are some cutscenes that didn't end up in the game like the child soldiers being trained and Snake in the burning village.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

quiet sniping the airplane

quiet shooting through the helicopter blades

Rescuing Huey and the metal gear shows up

I'm on chapter 12 that's what I've noticed so far

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

quiet sniping the airplane

quiet shooting through the helicopter blades

Rescuing Huey and the metal gear shows up

I'm on chapter 12 that's what I've noticed so far

I'm sure we saw some of the airplane sniping pre launch.
The child soldier training may have been the kids in pitch dark. Perhaps they decided to put it as part of the mission instead of as a cutscene. The intro to the Nuclear trailer is straight up gone.

A couple of scenes in trailers are context sensitive too and are easy to miss.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I did a double-take on the pre-Act 2 ingame spoiler-trailer / credits Paz scene because I finished the game without seeing her show up and at least expected some sort of weird plot about a clone/memory-imprinted double agent fake Paz until I figured out just how little of Act 2 there actually was.

Then I find out it's an entirely missable series of cutscenes if you for some reason happen to be walking around the medical(?) platform that no one tells you about. I mean sure you could be returning to Base between every story mission and spending hours running around trying to open all the non-openable doors on every platform on your ever increasingly sprawling mess of a base until you find something that may or may not launch a little cutscene (explaining the people on steam with 200 hours in this game) but uh... no, Kojima, no :colbert:

(Not like I fell for the bullshit that was "come check out the progress of Battle Gear!" or anything)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's within sight of Quiet's cell area which you have to go to multiple times as well as in plain view of the target practice side-op (there are a few targets right in front of the door, which opens automatically when you get close), and the door is shaded in light blue light as opposed to all of the other doors on the platform, which are red. It's hidden, sure, but not THAT hidden.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Was the cutscene with Eli attacking you with a chair in the game? Can't remember if that happened to me

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Ekusukariba posted:

Was the cutscene with Eli attacking you with a chair in the game? Can't remember if that happened to me

Yes.

Throb Robinson posted:

Finally beat the game. Kojima should really never make video games again. Instead Hollywood should hire him to cut trailers. He managed to turn the blandest cutscenes into something amazing. Those trailers are a 100 times better then the story.

:agreed:

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Man, I was almost able to buy into Skull Face's ETHNIC CLEANSING as a traditional dumb Metal Gear villain motivation (Hey, he's a crazy villain, maybe he just doesn't realize how flawed his plan really is), but holy poo poo that last Quiet scene is so laughable, and for more reasons than just keeping her T&A in-frame at all times.

I AM QUIET I AM THE ABSENCE OF WORDS except for written language BOY IT SURE DID SUCK THAT I COULDN'T EXPRESS MY FEELINGS TOWARDS YOU THE PLAYER except with written language BECAUSE WE MAY AS WELL WRITE THIS AS A FANFICTION BEFORE THE FANS DO.

And I guess it's ok to have an extended tape of her talking, or a radio broadcast of her talking, unless that's only ok because everyone took Wolbachia in which case why would she even leave if she poses way less threat to Diamond Dogs than she does literally anywhere else?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Another neat clue in the intro regarding Ishmael's identity is that when he lights Quiet on fire you can clearly hear him using his lighter while Venom is blacking out.

EDIT: By the way I figured out how soldier stats work and S+/S++ is impossible on random enemies in missions/free roam, which sucks because POWs use the same rules and females are only ever POWs outside the fixed volunteers, so females will basically never be better than S in anything.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ekusukariba posted:

It depends on where you beat Eli. You don't get the "attack Dad with lawn chair" scene if you don't beat him inside his little 'throne room'.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Moartoast posted:

I AM QUIET I AM THE ABSENCE OF WORDS except for written language BOY IT SURE DID SUCK THAT I COULDN'T EXPRESS MY FEELINGS TOWARDS YOU THE PLAYER except with written language BECAUSE WE MAY AS WELL WRITE THIS AS A FANFICTION BEFORE THE FANS DO.

Has subvocalization been considered as a reason for her to not write things down? It seems like a pretty MGS-ey explanation for why she refuses to even write things down.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Ekusukariba posted:

Yes, if you kick his rear end inside the boat where the pig head is then you'll trigger that scene.

Moartoast posted:

Man, I was almost able to buy into Skull Face's ETHNIC CLEANSING as a traditional dumb Metal Gear villain motivation (Hey, he's a crazy villain, maybe he just doesn't realize how flawed his plan really is), but holy poo poo that last Quiet scene is so laughable, and for more reasons than just keeping her T&A in-frame at all times.

And I guess it's ok to have an extended tape of her talking, or a radio broadcast of her talking, unless that's only ok because everyone took Wolbachia in which case why would she even leave if she poses way less threat to Diamond Dogs than she does literally anywhere else?

While I agree that it's dumb that Quiet wouldn't use my form of written communication (this would have been a good opportunity for Diamond Dogs to invent chat rooms), the whole reason that she left is because she realized that with the Wolbachia mutation it was still possible to spread the English strain. She left MB to die and protect Venom Snake, but getting captured by the Russians was a dumb way to do it, unless she was looking for a final opportunity to talk to Snake. I dunno, the whole vocal cord parasites stuff made my eyes glaze over when I tried listening to the tapes of Code Talker.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Klades posted:

Has subvocalization been considered as a reason for her to not write things down? It seems like a pretty MGS-ey explanation for why she refuses to even write things down.

I love Return of the Street Fighter because it opens up with Sonny Chiba breaking someone's hands of a mute guy so they can't write down some information for the police. But then in an unrelated incident the killed villain from the previous film mysteriously returns despite Sonny Chiba destroying his throat. He returns with a mechanical throat or something so that he could speak again. And that was how the bad guys learned where Sonny Chiba is, because after years of bionics surgery they restored this guy's ability to speak so he could say it to them instead of writing it down.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Maybe he was illiterate

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Nakar posted:

Another neat clue in the intro regarding Ishmael's identity is that when he lights Quiet on fire you can clearly hear him using his lighter while Venom is blacking out.

EDIT: By the way I figured out how soldier stats work and S+/S++ is impossible on random enemies in missions/free roam, which sucks because POWs use the same rules and females are only ever POWs outside the fixed volunteers, so females will basically never be better than S in anything.

I think I have a S++ combat female soldier as a volunteer.

Throb Robinson posted:

Yeah, the trailers of the game gave the appearance that the game was going to be a lot darker than what we got. It felt like a complete shift from Ground Zeroes in that regard.

Brent87
Nov 7, 2009
Wheres THEATRE MODE??!!!

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

It depends on where you beat Eli. You don't get the "attack Dad with lawn chair" scene if you don't beat him inside his little 'throne room'.

Ah that explains it then

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Buschmaki posted:

I just realized how similar this game's development circumstances and tone is to Halo: Reach, both great games.

Reach had a great story and felt finished as gently caress.

edit: not actually contradicting anything you said here, just bears mentioning since this game has great gameplay and a fantastic engine but is otherwise a fail. Reach, on the other hand, was the best entry in the entire Halo series imo.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 20, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Quiet didn't write anything down because the moment Miller learned that she could communicate he would torture the poo poo out of her for months for information on Cypher.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pimpmust posted:

I did a double-take on the pre-Act 2 ingame spoiler-trailer / credits Paz scene because I finished the game without seeing her show up and at least expected some sort of weird plot about a clone/memory-imprinted double agent fake Paz until I figured out just how little of Act 2 there actually was.

Then I find out it's an entirely missable series of cutscenes if you for some reason happen to be walking around the medical(?) platform that no one tells you about. I mean sure you could be returning to Base between every story mission and spending hours running around trying to open all the non-openable doors on every platform on your ever increasingly sprawling mess of a base until you find something that may or may not launch a little cutscene (explaining the people on steam with 200 hours in this game) but uh... no, Kojima, no :colbert:

(Not like I fell for the bullshit that was "come check out the progress of Battle Gear!" or anything)
Well its an imaginary exchange, how exactly could you point someone to something that doesn't actually exist?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

blackguy32 posted:

I think I have a S++ combat female soldier as a volunteer.
There are fixed female volunteers but I don't think they can show up as pure random ones. And I've tried to gently caress with it to make that happen. It doesn't seem to have an input anywhere to even make it work.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

zedprime posted:

Well its an imaginary exchange, how exactly could you point someone to something that doesn't actually exist?
Which makes me question what the gently caress those Paz tapes are. Imagining Paz's existence and giving her photos then eventually realizing you're outside daydreaming is believable. Still being able to listen to physical items in your tape player after the fact is not.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Maybe Quiet picked up illiteracy from the female population in Afghanistan.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DaveKap posted:

Which makes me question what the gently caress those Paz tapes are. Imagining Paz's existence and giving her photos then eventually realizing you're outside daydreaming is believable. Still being able to listen to physical items in your tape player after the fact is not.
The same thing as why mission 1 and 46 have different cutscenes, the video game itself is an unreliable narrator to put the player in similar shoes as Venom is between the hypnosis and brain shrapnel.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nanomashoes posted:

Quiet didn't write anything down because the moment Miller learned that she could communicate he would torture the poo poo out of her for months for information on Cypher.
*Miller shoves a pencil and some paper in Quiet's face*

"START WRITING BITCH"

*Quiet pauses, then slowly draws a dickbutt*

DaveKap posted:

The tapes are actually Venom doing an impression of Paz.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DaveKap posted:

There's no explanation anyone here can give you :shrug:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
All of Paz's dialogue since Peace Walker is just Venom's impression of her, which explains her entirely unconvincing Central American accent.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nakar posted:

All of Paz's dialogue since Peace Walker is just Venom's impression of her, which explains her entirely unconvincing Central American accent.

"Hey, I saw the boss at that construction zone on the Medical strut again."

"Yeah? What was he doing?"

"He was just...talking to himself, in this really high-pitched voice, about...kittens?"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Ever since i finished this i can't help but think about how loving little it contributes to the series from a story perspective. Everything's new/self contained and basically thrown away at the end.

The only thing it actually does is provide an answer for why there were 'super powers' in MGS3, where Psycho Mantis originated (though we already knew part of that from MGS1 didn't we) and imply that the Big Boss of MG1 was Venom Snake.

Even the Liquid Snake stuff is pointless because it doesn't tell us anything new.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RAGH RAGH RAGH WHY KOJIMA HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING CONNECTED

RAGH RAGH RAGH WHY KOJIMA TELL SELF-CONTAINED STORY

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Funky Valentine posted:

RAGH RAGH RAGH WHY KOJIMA HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING CONNECTED

RAGH RAGH RAGH WHY KOJIMA TELL SELF-CONTAINED STORY

I'm pretty sure the first thing has never been a common complaint of the series and is in fact one of its major selling points hth

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

CJacobs posted:

There's no explanation anyone here can give you :shrug:
Haha believe me I wasn't expecting one. There are a lot of contradictions in the game that you have to just leap of faith away from. Why is it that Big Boss's favorite medic has the same voice at him? If they hypnotically suggested medic into believing he was Big Boss, why would they let the doctor show him his real face before showing him his Big Boss face and ALSO show him the pictures of Big Boss chilling out at MSF, thus ruining the hypnotizing? If Skull Face wants to kill off the English language, why does he use it as his primary means of communication? What's up with Chico's hole in the chest when the vocal chord parasite research hadn't started until after GZ? Why did Venom never get infected by anything when he was constantly around that poo poo? Why did they say at the start of the game that Venom's shrapnel "made him forget how to speak Russian" (apparently they can brain wash him into remembering how to be Big Boss and remember his past but not languages) but later on in the game he uses foreign language phrases?

I don't need answers, I stopped caring when I realized the game was gutted to rush the release (and I'm not saying this in a negative light, I love this game and am still playing it and having fun) but it's just silly to worry anymore. Kojima take the wheel.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I still don't quite understand why Big Boss felt the need to go into hiding and let Venom Snake take over. If Venom Snake could build Boss' legend, build his own PMC that could rival Outer Heaven, and generally clean house all on his own, why not just do it yourself? The idea of staying off the Patriots radar and building Outer Heaven just doesn't seem to me to be good reasons for the whole switcheroo. Literally everything Venom Snake accomplishes Big Boss could've accomplished himself and still built his nation in the process.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Esroc posted:

I still don't quite understand why Big Boss felt the need to go into hiding and let Venom Snake take over. If Venom Snake could build Boss' legend, build his own PMC that could rival Outer Heaven, and generally clean house all on his own, why not just do it yourself? The idea of staying off the Patriots radar and building Outer Heaven just doesn't seem to me to be good reasons for the whole switcheroo. Literally everything Venom Snake accomplishes Big Boss could've accomplished himself and still built his nation in the process.
I mean... you may as well ask why the Empire was building 2 Death Stars... redundancy is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Esroc posted:

Cause Big Boss is apparently a big coward or something I guess? Also given the ending was MG1 Outer Heaven Venom's take on it? with Zanzibar land being Big Boss's version of Outer Heaven?

• Locked thread