Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My 97 is doing the same thing. It is really, really bad when it gets hot, in reverse or first.

It got a new clutch a few thousand miles ago before I bought it. I've heard this could be a flywheel that needs to be resurfaced, or the rear main could be leaking on the clutch. Either way I'm not really looking forward to sorting it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

My NBs clutch chattered and juddered terribly for years since I bought it in 2009 at 25K miles. There's a TSB addressing the issue: http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/sb05-002.02.html

Mine is a 99, so not covered by the tsb. :iiam:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

opengl128 posted:

My 97 is doing the same thing. It is really, really bad when it gets hot, in reverse or first.

It got a new clutch a few thousand miles ago before I bought it. I've heard this could be a flywheel that needs to be resurfaced, or the rear main could be leaking on the clutch. Either way I'm not really looking forward to sorting it out.

If the rear main was leaking oil on the clutch you'd know it, trust me. You get lots of smoking and it loving stinks to high heaven.

My 97 does it as well, especially in reverse, I'm guessing it's the flywheel needing to be resurfaced. Been thinking about going with a lighter chromoly flywheel on the next clutch change, but then I've heard that lighter flywheels cause even more chattering so idk. Maybe it's just the super light alloy flywheels.....Anybody running a chromoly that can confirm or deny this?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 12, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I would get a steel lightweight flywheel in the future. The scuttlebutt (take it with a grain of salt) says alloy flywheels can be prone to warping that can wear your clutch out faster. That may explain your chatter as well, but they will aways make more noise than stock. Plus, even if that isn't true, you can resurface a steel flywheel like a brake disc and use it again down the road.

I have the flyin miata one and it really woke up my car.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 12, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, that's the chromoly flywheel, did you notice an increase in chatter?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

opengl128 posted:

My '94 always did it, so I revved high. That worked for 30,000 miles and then the clutch went again :sigh:

I thought it was oil because I had to top it up every now and again, but it never smelled that much.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
Just installed this to replace the door handle because it was hitting my leg too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLpfRSV_Yv0

Cheap, easy to install. Thumbs up.

I also scored a 280mm Momo Team steering wheel and I'm lovin' that too!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I did a coolant flush to try and get all the stop leak the PO put in it, and the normal prestone super flush stuff didn't do poo poo, this stuff is like grease, how the hell do I get all this poo poo out of the cooling system?

This is what it looks like after being flushed twice, no telling how much poo poo is left in there.

Then after I dump the water out it sticks to the pan, wtf is this poo poo made of?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

leica posted:

So I did a coolant flush to try and get all the stop leak the PO put in it, and the normal prestone super flush stuff didn't do poo poo, this stuff is like grease, how the hell do I get all this poo poo out of the cooling system?

This is what it looks like after being flushed twice, no telling how much poo poo is left in there.

Then after I dump the water out it sticks to the pan, wtf is this poo poo made of?

I, too, use gravy as coolant in my Miata.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I'm getting ready to replace the water pump and all the hoses, and the radiator is new, but that still leaves that poo poo in the motor. Can't wait to see what the water pump looks like, gently caress.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

leica posted:

Well I'm getting ready to replace the water pump and all the hoses, and the radiator is new, but that still leaves that poo poo in the motor. Can't wait to see what the water pump looks like, gently caress.

Remove the lower radiator hose, stick garden hose into thermostat housing, depress handle. Should hopefully shoot some water through.

In other news, somehow the autocross made my clutch chatter/shudder better. Guessing whatever hot spot on the flywheel got burned down.

If my new clutch and flywheel hadn't already shipped I would have cancelled it.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
So here is a wierd issue I am having with my 1990 Miata. Before it is warmed, the first few times accelerating in 3rd gear the car shudders. Engine is fine, it feels like drivetrain. It only does this in 3rd gear and once it warms up it goes away and drives fine. What gives?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Saw a wine red ND today. Looks goooooood.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Stopped at the dealer today with my son to check em out, a lot smaller in person, not much bigger than an NA it seems. Looks freaking gorgeous in person as well.

They had five in stock, all automatics :psypop:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, some genius actuary looked at the NC numbers and went "yes, this seems right". Like not be all "the enthusiasts are right!", but the Toyobaru twins have something like a 65/35 split between manual/automatic.

Fun dimensions:
code:
		NA		ND
Wheelbase	89.2 in		91.1 in
Length		155.5 in	154.1 in
Width		65.9 in		68.1 in	
Height		48.4 in		48.6 in
Curb		2070 lbs	2332 lbs
HP		114 hp		155 hp
Torque		100 ft-lbs	148 ft-lbs

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
If I had any spare money right now, the Mazda place down the road has a new (Somehow) 2014 Club Edition with the PRHT for stupid cheap.

I'm so tapped out though. On the other hand, PRHT.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laranzu posted:

If I had any spare money right now, the Mazda place down the road has a new (Somehow) 2014 Club Edition with the PRHT for stupid cheap.

I'm so tapped out though. On the other hand, PRHT.

God gave us two kidneys for a reason my friend.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
My 93 limited edition leaves me tomorrow. It was bought off BaT by a guy who races Miatas and seems cool all around. Turns out it was worth $10767 to me and $11305 total for the buyer with BaT's 5% fee. He's flying out and driving it back to TX. I'm sad to see it leave but it's just going to sit now that I have a toddler. And while it's not a ton of money to keep it, it's not free and needs to be owned by someone who will drive it more than I.

Anyone seeing a new looking LE going South from Denver with race wrap on the front of it say hi to my old car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
:unsmigghh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Is this what heaven looks like?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Rhyno posted:

Is this what heaven looks like?

Hell, the punchline is they are all automatics.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Miata hell is the automatic transmission for sure.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Installed new coilovers and now I'm hearing some creaking when the car moves a little at low speeds. Wondering if maybe I didn't torque something down far enough? I used the long bolt method. How much torque are those suspension bolts supposed to have on them?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I removed my GWR Roadstersport super q muffler and midpipe today after 1100 miles and two months on the car. I went back to stock because it was just too annoyingly loud. I really liked the noise it made, I just wish it were quieter. I tried the muffler with the stock midpipe and the midpipe with the stock muffler and just couldn't find a good combination that gave me burbles with an acceptable decibel level. If anyone in the New England area wants to make an offer for it you can PM me.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Did you use the suppressors? Did you bother buying the glass pack suppressors GW sells?

I have the full GW exhaust and love it, but yeah it ain't quiet.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah I tried the baffles and it wasn't enough. I checked for leaks and didn't have any.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I tried to put the top down in my NA this morning and the back plastic window cracked. Does anyone have any recommendations for top replacements? These are what I've found that I like:

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=73585

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=111747

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

powderific posted:

Installed new coilovers and now I'm hearing some creaking when the car moves a little at low speeds. Wondering if maybe I didn't torque something down far enough? I used the long bolt method. How much torque are those suspension bolts supposed to have on them?

You're supposed to torque those bolts with the wheels on the ground, that's tough if you don't have a drive on lift.

You can measure the center of hub to fender for each wheel while it's on the ground, then when the car is raised jack the arm into that position before torquing.
I don't remember torque spec, something like 90-100 ft lb?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

I tried to put the top down in my NA this morning and the back plastic window cracked. Does anyone have any recommendations for top replacements? These are what I've found that I like:

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=73585

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=111747

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Topsonline.com has the best prices.

Zippered glass sucks imo, the best top for NAs is two piece plastic window.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chriskory posted:

You're supposed to torque those bolts with the wheels on the ground, that's tough if you don't have a drive on lift.

You can measure the center of hub to fender for each wheel while it's on the ground, then when the car is raised jack the arm into that position before torquing.
I don't remember torque spec, something like 90-100 ft lb?

I did use a jack to raise the control arms but I didn't measure to make sure it was perfect. Googling it for myself looks like 87-100 for the long bolt, other stuff is around 50.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Did you replace the little plastic sheets?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

leica posted:

Topsonline.com has the best prices.

Zippered glass sucks imo, the best top for NAs is two piece plastic window.

If you don't mind me asking, what's so bad about the zippered glass?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have zippered glass and the only PITA thing about it is its an NA so i have to unzip the glass before putting the top down. Supposedly you can retrofit the NB scaffold somehow so unzipping isn't necessary. I've been eyeing a zippered glass window with defroster but starting to lean towards zipperless since the only time I run bikini top mode is when I'm too lazy to zip it up.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 21, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what's so bad about the zippered glass?

It's kind of awkward to deal with, because you have to hold it up while you zipper it or it puts too much strain on the zipper, then the zipper almost always tears out prematurely from the weight of the glass anyway. Plastic is much easier to deal with, and chances of the zipper failing before the top does are zero. Just take care of the plastic window and it should last as long as the top.

Basically if you want a two piece top stay away from glass, but if you want a glass window put a one piece NB top on it, that's the way to go for glass.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 21, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RillAkBea posted:

Ooooh nooo, I forgot on a couple and was hoping that it didn't matter. If I just try to get used to the squeaking will not having the sheets hurt anything?

It also sounds like something is rubbing somewhere around my driver's side rear wheel and I'm not sure what it could be. It's a quick scratch sound once per revolution of the wheel. The tire definitely isn't rubbing anything, nor is the axel. I'm going to take off the wheel tonight and poke around but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

RillAkBea posted:

Are those the things that insulate the top of the strut housing from the body?

powderific posted:

around my driver's side rear wheel and I'm not sure what it could be. It's a quick scratch sound once per revolution of the wheel. The tire definitely isn't rubbing anything, nor is the axel. I'm going to take off the wheel tonight and poke around but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

you'll look for witness marks, anywhere old crud has removed to show fresh metal ect.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

powderific posted:

Ooooh nooo, I forgot on a couple and was hoping that it didn't matter. If I just try to get used to the squeaking will not having the sheets hurt anything?

I certainly hope not, I forgot to put some of mine back in too. :sweatdrop::hf::sweatdrop:

Chriskory posted:

Are those the things that insulate the top of the strut housing from the body?

Yup, I don't think they do an awful lot except stop the surfaces squeaking when they rub together.

I think you can actually get enough access to slip them back in if you just unbolt the top mounts and sway bar.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My driver side (power) mirror vibrates like a loving dildo and it's driving me insane. The mount screws are nice and tight, but it sounds like something is loose inside the mirror itself, anyone know how to take these things apart?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

leica posted:

My driver side (power) mirror vibrates like a loving dildo and it's driving me insane. The mount screws are nice and tight, but it sounds like something is loose inside the mirror itself, anyone know how to take these things apart?

Having a loose pair from an NA here that I need to put on my car when I can be bothered to drill a large hole in the door, I think the only screws available are behind the glass itself so you'll need to get a wire or something between the glass and the black plastic holder to cut the adhesive holding it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
NC mileage chat: what are you guys getting?

I get 21 in town with my foot in it most of the time. 235 rs3's

I get 24-25mpg driving spiritedly in the mountains.

I got 28-29mpg on my 1400 mile road trip from picking up the car.

Does this all sound normal or should I start looking for something wrong?

I run 93 octane.