Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Silly Burrito posted:

It's going to be a long year.

Yep. I was somewhat prepared as I prefaced any comments on the season with "If our defense is even halfway decent" so yeah... not looking that way. I guess growing up rooting for them while they sucked forever has made me be at peace with it all. It's gonna be sad watching the decline in real time but also I think its alright. This is the nature of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
i worked very hard on this, still a work-in-progress but I think y'all should get the idea

I don't mind saying, it's beautiful

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
You guys forget I don't actually know what I'm talking about.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Magicpants posted:

i worked very hard on this, still a work-in-progress but I think y'all should get the idea

We are just spotting the rest of the division a few games so that December will be interesting.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Big Bob Pataki posted:

You guys forget I don't actually know what I'm talking about.

You're kind of the Jim Morrison of TFF. I have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about, and why you're trying to fit Oedipus into everything, but there's something about the lilt of your voice that takes me to a far realm of dark and intoxicating imagination.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl, back in my brain
I think you know, the game I mean
I mean the game, called 'go insane'
Also I am dead and gay

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

We are just spotting the rest of the division a few games so that December will be interesting.

Awfully good of you chaps.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Qwijib0 posted:

Awfully good of you chaps.

You know the Seahawks, our mantra is "competition". If you won't give us a challenge then we will make it easy for you. The last two years we tried not having a passing game. This year we don't have a passing game or a line. Next year Lynch will be as dried up as the last lime at a taco stand, so we won't have a run game either.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Magicpants posted:

The NFC:W poles suddenly and violently reversed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Hey Febreeze, as it turns out the lost-bet art for the Dolphins-Jaguars game is pretty much a literal representation of what happened.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This started as a post I made in aftermath and news/views but I think it's focused enough that it deserves to be made into a full-scale FART. Hope you guys like it.

The Ride Isn't Over, or How I Learned to Quit Worrying and Love Chip Kelly's Wild Ride

I love the Philadelphia Eagles. A lot. Probably more than is healthy. I once decorated a Christmas tree with nothing but Eagles ornaments. I was at the Lions/Eagles blizzard game and froze my rear end off. I will probably name my first-born son Donovan. And as a result of this, I tend to really, really overreact to wins and losses from my team.

You may have missed it, but the Eagles shat their pants on national TV yesterday afternoon. I was obviously despondent. Here's a picture for proof:

I was pissed, I was mad and I was convinced the Eagles were going to suck the rest of the year and everything was awful. And that all may very well be true. But you know what?

It really sucks to actively hate your team like that.

It's unpleasant and you're unfun to be around. I did a lot of thinking today and I don't want to be a fan like that. I know of a place where for a while all the fans got down on their teams all the time. It started as a joke but after a while it was almost impossible to genuinely enjoy your team. And that sucks. Football shouldn't be like that. Football should be fun. And football fans should be eternal optimists.

So in light of that, I'm going to explain why everything isn't all that bad for the Eagles. And even if you're not an Eagles fan, this stuff applies to you too. Substitute your team in for the Eagles because I can guarantee that they too have a similar history.

Part I - The Historical Argument

A wise man once said "The Philadelphia Eagles are merely a series of booms and busts; the long run trend of the franchise is positive." That wise man was me. I said it, and I completely ripped off John Maynard Keynes in doing it. In light of that quote, I'm going to walk through some of the busts we Eagles fans have experienced and talk about how those turned into booms.

In 2003 the Eagles were coming off an NFC Championship Game loss to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Fans thought things would be different but the Eagles disappointed and started the season 0-2. People were pissed.

ESPN posted:

In his worst game since his rookie season, McNabb completed just 18 of 46 passes for 186 yards, threw two interceptions -- one returned for a TD -- lost two fumbles, and heard loud boos for the first time since the day he was drafted. Eagles fans who attended the 1999 draft in New York wanted running back Ricky Williams and booed McNabb's selection with the No. 2 overall pick.

Yikes! Guess that must have turned into some kind of lost season righ...

Oh.

They went 12-4, were the #1 seed and made it to the NFC Championship game for the 2nd year in a row? Well...I bet there's another example!

Ah yes, here we go. In 2006 the Eagles lost McNabb in Week 11 against the Titans and got blown out. They followed this up with another blow out to the Colts and were sitting 5-6 with games remaining against a tough Carolina team, all 3 of their divisional foes and the Falcons. And they didn't have McNabb! I bet they sucked and drafted in the top 10 right?

Oh.

They won all 5 of those games, won a playoff game with a backup QB and were close to going to play the Bears in the NFC Championship Game. Um, well, okay. I bet there's another example right?

Only 2 years later the Eagles were in even worse shape. After losing to the Giants and TYING the putrid Cincinnati Bengals, the Eagles get blown out 36-7 against the Ravens. McNabb gets benched at half time after going 8/18 for 59 yards and 2 picks. The only points they score come from a kickoff return. They are 5-5-1. And what did they do?

Oh yeah, they go 9-6-1 and are a play away from making the Super Bowl.

Okay, look this is really cheating. Those were all Andy Reid teams. It's not fair to compare Chip Kelly to those teams, those teams had good defenses they could rely on.

Yeah about that...

The Eagles are in their first season under new head coach Chip Kelly and things do not look good. After scoring a combined 10 points against the Giants and Dallas (at home!) the Eagles are 3-5 and look absolutely dead in the water.

Stop me if you can guess what's going to happen next.

Not only do they come back to win their division, but they're the 3 seed! Yes, they lose to the Saints, but this was the first time a rookie head coach had ever won his division, much less after being 2 games under .500 with only 8 games to go.

So to recap, in the last 12 years the Eagles have looked completely terrible a total of 4 times. Their final record in those years? 41-22-1, good for a 64.1% winning percentage. That's insane. Did you honestly think they would come out looking that good, given that I picked years in which the team had absolutely horrible strings of play?

The historical record of the Eagles indicates that 0-2 is far, far too early to panic given that a number of past teams have come back and been legitimate Super Bowl contenders, with all but one team winning the division and one team even earning the #1 seed in the NFC.

Part II - A Tale of Two Games

I'm going to post the offensive stats from 2 games. Hell, I'll even tell you that they're Eagles games. These are going to be two games where the offense was absolutely putrid and disgusting. Then I want you to tell me what each game was.

GAME 1 PASSING

23/37, 224 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs

GAME 2 PASSING

21/43, 195 yards, 0 TD, 2 INTs

GAME 1 RUSHING TOTAL

17 attempts, 8 yards, long run of 9 yards

GAME 2 RUSHING TOTAL

12 attempts, 22 yards, long run of 5 yards

Now that you've had some time to think about it, here are the answers.

Game 1 is Dallas @ Philadelphia this season. Kind of obvious, since it's the whole reason I'm writing this, but humor me, okay?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400791705

Game 2 is Philadelphia @ San Francisco in the 2014 season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400554315

This utterly shocked me. I remember the Eagles looking pretty good, if a bit out of sorts in that Niners game, but the truth is that no, they were really bad. At least on offense.

And that leads me to my next point, if the Eagles special teams or defense scores a single touchdown in the game against the Cowboys people would not be losing their minds right now. Look at those stat lines! Nick Foles actually had a worse game than Sam Bradford did and no one was calling for mass executions at the NovaCare Complex.

And what did we do after that game?

Oh, right, we beat the Rams and got our first shutdown in over 2 decades against the Giants. True, we didn't make the playoffs, but we went 10-6 and honestly, I'm perfectly happy with a 10-6 record. Most of the time that's good enough for the playoffs, we just got unlucky.

So in summary,

-The season isn't over

-The Eagles have had multiple years of terrible play and still made the playoffs

-We had a game last year where the offense was even worse than yesterday and the world didn't end

-R E L A X

And as one final point for any non-Eagles fans reading this, this isn't just an Eagles phenomenon. The Colts started 0-2 last year, the Seahawks were 1-3, the Patriots got blown out by the Chiefs. Even really, really good teams can start out poorly. So don't despair just because Weeks 1 and 2 didn't go your way.

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 22, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
That is wonderful and should be a F.A.R.T. post

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Febreeze posted:

That is wonderful and should be a F.A.R.T. post

Thanks Febreeze. I already PM'd it to Ehud. :)

Dunno if there's something else I have to do to post it on the site.

Maybe I'll write up versions for more teams, because everyone should still be pretty happy. Even teams that have looked awful so far could end up being Super Bowl champs this year. :unsmith:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

axeil posted:

Even teams that have looked awful so far could end up being Super Bowl champs this year. :unsmith:

I can assure you an afc south team won't win the super bowl

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Metapod posted:

Miracles Can HappenTM :unsmith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Metapod posted:

A finger on the monkeys paw curls as the superbowl is cancelled.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Edit wrong thread

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Cowboys players have sophisticated wine palettes

http://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/no-regrets-allowed/

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Reposting this from the Week 2 Aftermath thread:

Ozu posted:

These were on reddit and are amazing.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Here are the loss cartoons I had to make, plus my predictions for week 3

http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/09/nfl-week-2-recap-drawings-predictions/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Febreeze posted:

That Bucs/Saints pic is great and I hope the Saints win this week if only to see the new picture.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

This is awesome, I've been looking forward to seeing this.

I caught an article at the bottom about the Bucs QB's dad wearing this:

That's pretty great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MindlessHavok posted:

That's pretty great.

Rapin and pillagin

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Febreeze posted:

The Saints-Bucs one is really good. I like the composition. Bort is funny though!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Febreeze posted:

I feel like God has created so many upsets just to force more comics out of you

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Febreeze posted:

Really want this to happen:

"If the Vikings win I will draw Teddy Bridgewater pushing Rivers into a river under a bridge."

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Febreeze posted:

The Dolphins one should have been the restaurant fight scene from Dumb and Dumber with Bortles ripping out Suh's heart.

Yours is pretty good too. But that Browns one is loving perfect.

PantsFreeZone fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 23, 2015

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

That Works posted:

That Bucs/Saints pic is great and I hope the Saints win this week if only to see the new picture.

There's a good Cam/fig Newton joke just ready to happen.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MindlessHavok posted:

That's pretty great.

"32 NFL Logos as their quarterback"

Hop on it, Febreeze!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

seiferguy posted:

Oh drat

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Derek Carr is easy, just take the Raider logo give it a weird pube goatee and sink the non-covered eye back into the skull

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

seiferguy posted:

Hop on it, Febreeze!

Broncos is already done.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I was inspired to FART by Chip Kelly's Wild Ride so I made a new avatar for myself.

Thanks to whoever made that Frank Gore photoshop back during Frank Gore's time as an Eagle.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 24, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

That's a good one.

Who does these anyway?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

axeil posted:

That's a good one.

Who does these anyway?

Pixar artist named Bobby rubio

https://twitter.com/Bobby_Rubio

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

axeil posted:

I was inspired to FART by Chip Kelly's Wild Ride so I made a new avatar for myself.

Thanks to whoever made that Frank Gore photoshop back during Frank Gore's time as an Eagle.

You should have added a whammy from the old Press Your Luck show in there just for effect.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

You should have added a whammy from the old Press Your Luck show in there just for effect.

maybe i should've put all the fumbles and DeMarco Murray rushing attempts from the last game :gonk:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MindlessHavok posted:

That's pretty great.

It should have crab legs coming out of the neck like in The Thing.

sean10mm posted:

Really want this to happen:

"If the Vikings win I will draw Teddy Bridgewater pushing Rivers into a river under a bridge."

With the caption "Go back from whence you came!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

From the Bartending thread:

bloody ghost titty posted:

RIP Nrr.

Last night, we got together, we drank tequila, and we mourned the life of "a gentle soul and a wild spirit" as a friend put it. If you, gentle reader of this thread, come across his stories, know that they all happened, and the photos prove it. We are a poorer bar tending community for having lost him.

gently caress

• Locked thread