Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Given how Exalted's charm system looked as of last leak, I can only wonder what they thought was worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

$30 minimum for the PDF, no alpha doc, a retailer buy-in tier, hit location die, lifepaths, and the usual garbage Corvus Belli approach to drawing/designing women characters. I can't wait to see how bad this is. :allears:

Well, The Alexandrian is the lead writer on the core rulebook, apparently, and I liked the poo poo he wrote about node-based campaigns and the three clue rule, etc. On the other hand, most of his posts are about running campaigns rather that mechanics design, so :shrug:

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 16, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alexandrian was also the guy who started the whole "disassociated mechanics" thing, too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did anyone back the Mutant Chronicles pnp? The same company just launched an Infinity pnp and I'm on the fence since I don't know anything about the system.

I backed it. I'll post a little bit about it later.

Edit: After a brief skim the way it works is a roll under system with target ranges of 6-17 or so for Mutant Chronicles games. You roll 2 d20s, and handle them separately, there's also a player bennie pool you can spend out of and a GM pool you can add to if you're willing to take chances. For some rolls, notably combat, the more dice you can get under the number the better you do (and there are ways for high skill characters to get more than one success per die). You always know what number you're shooting for because it's on your sheet, but harder rolls need more successes.

Combat is crunchy but does not require a map or minis, instead using zones like in Fate.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 17, 2015

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Got catacombs in the mail finally here in Chicago. Looks great, and I remember just getting the base tier but the expansion was tossed in too!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another Bombshell Babes kickstarter from Patrick: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bombshellminis/bombshell-babes-2-female-miniatures

So far every kickstarter he put out has been simple and (not too) late.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Fenarisk posted:

Got catacombs in the mail finally here in Chicago. Looks great, and I remember just getting the base tier but the expansion was tossed in too!

The Crypt of Shaurath "expansion" is the kickstarter exclusive bonus stuff. The Caverns of Soloth is the proper expansion-expansion. If you got both, cool!

My shipping notice says Saturday. Weekend of applying stickers and seeing how fast I can flick a bunch of little fire discs at targets while roaring like a boss dragon? Yes please!

Ever since the shipping notice came I've been giving teasers to my gaming friends who are probably expecting a dungeon crawl card game.
CATACOMBS: Orcs in a mosh pit
CATACOMBS: The armadillo is real
CATACOMBS: Would you like some making flick BERSERKER
Yeah, I'm jazzed.

Do I need to be the one to start talking about The Others: 7 Sins? I've learned to regret not backing CMON games from designers I like (I love Arcadia Quest but the aftermarket on the KS heroes is murder,) so I've tentatively backed this one. The "little voice suggesting something you'll ultimately regret" is one of my favorite ways of messing with friends in games, so designing towards that seems like fun. And with Arkham Horror deservedly left in a ditch, my only "horror" game for Halloween gaming now is Darkest Night, which is a bit dry.

Can't say I'm fond of the boob-window heroines (now with camel toe) but the Sins side gives me a huge John Carpenter vibe, which I love. The demons make me think of In the Mouth of Madness, and the acolytes remind me of Prince of Darkness. They also took the "Lust" art design in an um, interesting direction. A lot of backers were expecting (demanding) generic "sexy succubi", where the artists have instead gone with "diseased fertility statue w/ bonus suggestive bumps and dentata". I think they'll manage to make people very uncomfortable without going full Kingdom Death retard.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Getting asked by my backers to do a NSFW "hilariously innapropriate" expansion for Garbage Day.

I'm starting to think that Exploding Kittens and CAH have left behind a crowd of people clamoring to feed from the "edgy" teat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Getting asked by my backers to do a NSFW "hilariously innapropriate" expansion for Garbage Day.

I'm starting to think that Exploding Kittens and CAH have left behind a crowd of people clamoring to feed from the "edgy" teat.

To be fair making fat stacks by writing "BUTTFUCKED BY GRANDMA LOL" on a cheap cardstock is pretty alluring.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Fred Hicks ended up writing a nice post begging people to quit hounding people on kickstarter for stuff like that. Essentially he said if a person is writing a game that interests you, your first response shouldn't be "hey do this instead!".

http://www.deadlyfredly.com/2014/04/just-add-fate-maybe-not/

The last time I heard anyone talk about anything like this it was Andy Hopp, who when asked about his fate conversion said something to the effect of "I'll get right on it, right after I finish my book, and actually read Fate".

WaywardWoodwose fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 18, 2015

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Fred Hicks ended up writing a nice post begging people to quit hounding people on kickstarter for stuff like that. Essentially he said if a person is writing a game that interests you, your first response shouldn't be "hey do this instead!".

http://www.deadlyfredly.com/2014/04/just-add-fate-maybe-not/

The last time I heard anyone talk about anything like this it was Andy Hopp, who when asked about his fate conversion said something to the effect of "I'll get right on it, right after I finish my book, and actually read Fate".

Yeah they've asked for some nonsensical stuff so far. A NSFW expansion, an expansion made by the backers, plastic cards even though the game was never tested with them, and scratch and sniff cards.

Also had a bunch of backers chiming in that add-ons shouldn't exist and they should get everything for free because the project is doing well.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Also had a bunch of backers chiming in that add-ons shouldn't exist and they should get everything for free because the project is doing well.

Nerds and economics, man. Every loving time.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The obvious course of action is to announce all add-ons are free, wait for everyone who pledged for add-ons to reduce their pledge down to the minimum lever, say you can't produce them now with less money, and essentially gently caress with people that way until a couple people have rage induce heart attacks. Your kickstarter will suffer but this thread will flourish. Also give me a free copy just because .

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Yeah they've asked for some nonsensical stuff so far. A NSFW expansion, an expansion made by the backers, plastic cards even though the game was never tested with them, and scratch and sniff cards.

As someone who worked in custom service for a while, some people just act this way. I question if they really believe it or believe that, if they yell loud enough, they can get their way.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Well, if they pledge another £50, send them a copy of CAH that you've punched some holes in.

Job done.

You can even scrawl "gently caress off" on a post it and pop it inside to give that really edge to it.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Covok posted:

As someone who worked in custom service for a while, some people just act this way. I question if they really believe it or believe that, if they yell loud enough, they can get their way.

I think a lot of people just don't understand the work and money that goes into these projects. Yeah Shanetrain could give all those add-ons away for free, if he wanted to be paid nothing for his time, or have any wiggle room for unexpected expenses. Remember when Will Wheaton kickstarted that show? People were all up in arms hollering about how much money he wanted. How dare he want people to be paid for their time! Why is he using craft services and professional lighting, just throw some some doritos on a table by an open window! Trust me, if he had to do that show on a shoestring budget it wouldn't get done, the stress would get to him, he would quickly run out of people willing to work for free, and it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think a lot of people just post the first thought that comes into their heads without much reflection, and a lot of kickstarters are run by conscientious, genuine folks who feel intense pressure to do well and who give way too much influence to the random idiot posts by random backers that flood their comments sections.

In other words, if fewer than like 30 of your backers have asked for something, you can probably totally ignore the request with no problems, and should probably try not to let it influence your sense of what the bulk of your customers actually want.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; I haven't run any math myself, but I'm willing to bet that the number of people who even comment on a KS page at all (positive, negative, feature request, anything) is a bare fraction of the number of backers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
As if on cue, Brad Talton of Level 99 just put a post up about the mistakes and foibles of offering too many extras on their recent War of Indines kickstarter, and explaining that they'll be dialing things back (and how they already have).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
So what's the deal with that Warpath kickstarter? That gonna be good?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

boom boom boom posted:

So what's the deal with that Warpath kickstarter? That gonna be good?

Should be, funding out hard plastic mans and tanks and such for 3 armies, and then 2 more if they get the money. Opens up on the 21st.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I backed Fellowship, that sounds like fun. I also backed The Networks, that also looks really entertaining, and it's nice to have a game that can accommodate odd numbers of players. Thanks for the links!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Heh, not sure if he's doing this for everyone who calls him out, or if I'm a special case; but James Wallis just issue an unasked for refund to me after I called him a liar and scam artist in the Alas, Vegas comments.

Shame...I was really intrigued by the concept, but at least now I have my cash back.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

jivjov posted:

Heh, not sure if he's doing this for everyone who calls him out, or if I'm a special case; but James Wallis just issue an unasked for refund to me after I called him a liar and scam artist in the Alas, Vegas comments.

Shame...I was really intrigued by the concept, but at least now I have my cash back.

I at least have hope Alas, Vegas might actually come out someday, and JW hasn't put nearly the energy into making false deadlines that GMS has.

Plus, JW's rep in the industry is far greater than GMS'.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Pirate World has some nice pics and an update on the physical book, though I'd agree with the others that it'd be nice to have the PDF at this point (last promised pdf update was in May). I'm not being a whiny turbo nerd because who gives a poo poo it's kickstarter, it would just be a nice bonus in the mean time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

So...why didn't you just ask for the refund first?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Because as much as I assumed that alas, Vegas is a complete sham, I liked the concept enough that I was willing to let my 12 bucks or whatever it was sit around just in case.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

Because as much as I assumed that alas, Vegas is a complete sham, I liked the concept enough that I was willing to let my 12 bucks or whatever it was sit around just in case.

So you insulted a man with the strongest words you could think of, without any conviction behind them?

You're a piece of dog poo poo. A scum-bag harasser and bully. Why wouldn't someone want nothing to do with you if you act like that?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry Mr wallis. Didn't know you had an account here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
For real though. I do think James Wallis is a liar, a thief, and a scam artist. I think he has made up wholesale every excuse for Alas, Vegas that he's fed the backers. I pissed away my money down a hole; when I back a Kickstarter, I realize that I am not buying a product. I am not pre-ordering something. I'm funding the creation of a thing and trust that the project creator will operate in good faith. About the time that Wallis posted a huge rant about how much he hated the BASTARD MONKEY DEMON or whatever that Alas, Vegas had become for him I had lost most of my faith in him. The 2nd or 3rd time we started hearing about "mysterious computer problems" was when I realized that he's just making poo poo up.

I was content to let the money I spent two+ years ago be gone. Because there was still at least a 0.001% chance that if nothing else, maybe he'd eventually cave and send the backers whatever design document he had two years ago (You know...the one that was 90% done and just needed a bit of refinement and playtesting). He gave me a refund, great, cool. It was never really about my particular 10 bucks. It's about the other 1100 people who trusted this guy and then got the privlidge of getting screamed at in the comments by him. I honestly would have preferred Wallis just go dark completely like the Flying Assault Butts guy.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

homullus posted:

jivjov seems to have a history with the whole going nuts in the comments and getting refunds. Remember when he freaked the gently caress out over somebody using backerkit?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

jivjov posted:

For real though. I do think James Wallis is a liar, a thief, and a scam artist. I think he has made up wholesale every excuse for Alas, Vegas that he's fed the backers.

Except that he's got a 20+ year history of making and delivering games. The only problem is, he's never funded one before now through crowdfunding, he's always been able to dick around as long as he wants and no one's the wiser (which frankly is how most of the games industry worked, unless someone did something stupid and listed their game in Alliance before pushing it back ad infinitum).

Look, I'm pissed I don't have my copy either, and he's clearly wrestling with apathy and the lack of desire to finish something he's already been paid for, but goddamn those are some harsh words you're slinging around. At least he's not inventing "oh, it'll be out next week on RPGNow!" and then slipping by years. The dude owns his own business, and he hosed up by putting something incomplete on Kickstarter in the day when we were all eager to throw money at people for cool-sounding projects. Now that both sides are a little wised, I doubt we'd ever fund something in as incomplete a state as AV was in, and I would certainly hope he wouldn't put it up there without the drat thing being done, not "pay me to make something cool lol."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NinjaDebugger posted:

jivjov seems to have a history with the whole going nuts in the comments and getting refunds. Remember when he freaked the gently caress out over somebody using backerkit?

I have never once requested a kickstarter refund. Evil Hat offered me one, which I declined, back when I took issue with their use of a third party survey service (which at the time I had no familiarity with and it struck me as a really good way for an unnecessary third party to get my home address). And now Wallis gave me one unasked for.

Peas and Rice posted:

Except that he's got a 20+ year history of making and delivering games. The only problem is, he's never funded one before now through crowdfunding, he's always been able to dick around as long as he wants and no one's the wiser (which frankly is how most of the games industry worked, unless someone did something stupid and listed their game in Alliance before pushing it back ad infinitum).

Look, I'm pissed I don't have my copy either, and he's clearly wrestling with apathy and the lack of desire to finish something he's already been paid for, but goddamn those are some harsh words you're slinging around. At least he's not inventing "oh, it'll be out next week on RPGNow!" and then slipping by years. The dude owns his own business, and he hosed up by putting something incomplete on Kickstarter in the day when we were all eager to throw money at people for cool-sounding projects. Now that both sides are a little wised, I doubt we'd ever fund something in as incomplete a state as AV was in, and I would certainly hope he wouldn't put it up there without the drat thing being done, not "pay me to make something cool lol."

I wouldn't have been so harsh if Wallis hadn't made it quite clear that profanity laden rants were his preferred method of communication with backers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wait I'm sorry did you do this over 12 dollars

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Peas and Rice posted:

Aside from a history of being an rear end in a top hat, GMS had a history of producing work too. Admittedly, I didn't back either Far West or Alas, Vegas, but from my perspective, they both look like excessively postponed vaporware with a lot of excuses. We love to trash GMS but when Wallis screws up, you can't call him out?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mantic's Warpath kickstarter is now up

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wait I'm sorry did you do this over 12 dollars

That's one whole Amiibo, pal. :colbert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

thegodofchuck posted:

Aside from a history of being an rear end in a top hat, GMS had a history of producing work too. Admittedly, I didn't back either Far West or Alas, Vegas, but from my perspective, they both look like excessively postponed vaporware with a lot of excuses. We love to trash GMS but when Wallis screws up, you can't call him out?

Not at all, I just feel like Wallis has handled it differently than GMS. My guess is both projects are delayed for the same reasons - they weren't anywhere near done when the KS went off, and the creatives are having a hard time getting it out the door. Fine. So just admit that and be done with it. Instead, you have GMS constantly making up new deadlines (the man's his own worst enemy) and Wallis either not posting at all or making up excuses. For some reason, GMS strikes me as more disengenuous, maybe because of his rep for being a dick, or maybe because of the deadline thing, I don't know. I'm more willing to give Wallis a pass.

Also, I backed AV but didn't back FW, and Wallis did send a half-completed AV out (almost 3 years ago lol) and it was rad, so if he can finish the second half, the whole project will be great. All I have seen of FW is shiity art and blown deadlines and defensiveness on social media.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
In real Kickstarter news, the company has become a public benefit corporation. What the gently caress is that? Why are they doing it? Polygon has an interview about the subject: http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/21/9364015/kickstarter-ceo-strickler-public-benefit-charter-shenmue-pebble-star-citizen-asylum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At the very least? A higher cap on the charitable donation tax credit. Probably better legal protection in case Washington is the start of trend.

• Locked thread