Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Sorry if this was answered it got buried under pages of buzzfeeds and infighting

the simple solution is to make another thread for serious mafia questions. why hasn't someone thought of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tremendous Taste posted:

the simple solution is to make another thread for serious mafia questions. why hasn't someone thought of this?

Good idea, Taste.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

uranus posted:

that must be what caused my dads colon cancer :(

WOW Magnus, you jerk, that's unacceptable.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Even the circlejerk jokes are getting circlejerky.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Magnus Gallant posted:

Let's cease the debate. What would be the best case scenario in your opinion that would solve the problem?

Split the thread. Have the controller of this thread not be so against it that she's unwilling to rewrite the OP of this thread to reflect that it's a Crew thread.

This is for the Bottom half and those that don't even give Mafia here a chance because they look at the Discussion thread and find it to be a cliquey off-topic discussion thread.

Like I said, we all benefit by casting a wider net here. More new people. Higher retention.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

I don't think that's really a joke.

It's a joke to me because it's gross to picture your mom or dad being fisted in any orifice. So if I make you picture that then it's funny to me.

uranus posted:

that must be what caused my dads colon cancer :(

Your dad was waaaay to ugly for me to touch so that was all God

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Met posted:

This is for the Bottom half
:ussr:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
This is the easiest clique ever to join.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I've already added that this thread can be off topic. I'm not removing information from the OP, that's absurd.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Met posted:

This is for the Bottom half and those that don't even give Mafia here a chance because they look at the Discussion thread and find it to be a cliquey off-topic discussion thread.

Yes this is for the poor misunderstood bottom half like Harold krell, and Mr Thingyman

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Opopanax posted:

I've used resurrected roles before, janitoring is the best way

I am not sure if I am thinking about it as a resurrector so much as a bulletproof variant. If a player thinks she is in danger (either from the Mafia or the lynch) she can submit an order to fake her death, which will protect her from any actions during the night and cause her to "flip" the following day. The vote count is affected until the player reveals themselves, which could be later that day or later on.

There would probably need to be a ceiling on how long a player can remain dead and it presents some risks (especially if the town is near LYLO) but the more I think about it the more I like it.

Juliet would probably be a good shorthand for the role. I will probably never use it (as I will probably never find the time to run a game) but I find thinking up roles an interesting exercise.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 21, 2015

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Split the thread. Have the controller of this thread not be so against it that she's unwilling to rewrite the OP of this thread to reflect that it's a Crew thread.

Like I said, we all benefit by casting a wider net here. More new people. Higher retention.

Ok where should we host this thread?

Would you want to be the person who runs that thread?

Asiina would, I'm sure, be fine linking or mentioning the other thread in the op of this one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I do like the two people fighting hardest for this new, super inclusive thread, are the ones who fought hardest to keep "Lynch" in the vernacular.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
hey guys i thought of a role. it would be a town player who is on the scum team and flips as scum but wins with the town. they would know all the scum team but have a hard time convincing anyone cause they would flip scum goon. what you think?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

I am not sure if I am thinking about it as a resurrector so much as a bulletproof variant. If a player thinks she is in danger (either from the Mafia or the lynch) she can submit an order to fake her death, which will protect her from any actions during the night and cause her to "flip" the following day. The vote count is affected until the player reveals themselves, which could be later that day or later on.

There would probably need to be a ceiling on how long a player can remain dead and it presents some risks (especially if the town is near LYLO) but the more I think about it the more I like it.

Juliet would probably be a good shorthand for the role.

Little Mac had a role kinda like that in both League games.

I chose who to visit each night. If the player I visited tried to kill me, the kill went through and I flipped, but I had the option of resurrecting at any point in the following two days.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CapitalistPig posted:

This is the easiest clique ever to join.

"Why, when I was your age I got a full time job just by walking in the front door with a can-do attitude."

Asiina posted:

I've already added that this thread can be off topic. I'm not removing information from the OP, that's absurd.

"This thread is for talking about Mafia mechanics, games, theory, and off-topic community stuff that takes up 90% of the thread.

This other thread is the same thing without the off-topic discussion. But I'm just going to keep using the big thread for that and then tell you your split didn't work."

By inaction you're actually working against it. Can't you see?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Magnus Gallant posted:

Ok where should we host this thread?

Would you want to be the person who runs that thread?

Asiina would, I'm sure, be fine linking or mentioning the other thread in the op of this one.

...both threads would be right here in Traditional Games.

Who gives a poo poo who the OP of either thread is? We just want things to work.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pinterest Mom posted:

Little Mac had a role kinda like that in both League games.

I chose who to visit each night. If the player I visited tried to kill me, the kill went through and I flipped, but I had the option of resurrecting at any point in the following two days.

Thanks for the reference. I will take a look at the game.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ecco wore this look a lot better.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Opopanax posted:

I do like the two people fighting hardest for this new, super inclusive thread, are the ones who fought hardest to keep "Lynch" in the vernacular.

Was this an argument that happened?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Yes, and one of these things was actually cited as an issue that kept people from playing games or engaging with us

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

Juliet would probably be a good shorthand for the role. I will probably never use it (as I will probably never find the time to run a game) but I find thinking up roles an interesting exercise.

I had an item sorta like this in my L4D game where the scum team could use it to delay their death, but they had to use it at night and it was good for if they died that night or the next day, and only delayed it by one day.

It's a really strong ability to delay or prevent death, so I think making them predict their own death is necessary.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Met posted:

gently caress you. Trying to belittle this argument. This is for loving you and everyone else. We all loving gain by trying to appeal to a wider group of people and not the people that can stand the shitposting hub of Traditional Games that is this thread.

You can't even remember what it's about because half of you make it about completely irrelevant topics. Do you even realize how "People can't find a game to play" came about?

-Let's split the threads so people who aren't interested in the Crew Chat can still talk about Mafia
-Talk about Mafia in the Mafia announcement thread
-Then it will be harder to find Mafia games because the announcement thread is clogged with information not relevant to finding new games.
-There are so many other ways of finding games. *lists ways that make it harder to find games*
-No, all those ideas are terrible.
-I don't understand why you think it's so hard to find Mafia games here. Why do you like to argue?

You guys detract from the main point so hard and then argue everything else and make it sound like it was all about that.

Or maybe you found it difficult to keep track of the debate because of the considerate amount of useless content inbetween the debate points in this mess of a thread?

Swearing at folks is also a good way to spread the community and keep players.

The issue here is that you and I must have wildly different ideas about how many posts a combined "Mafia discussion + new game thread" is going to get. I am fairly confident it will be a slow moving thread which means that having them combined will not detract from anyones ability to find a new game unless they are unwilling to put forth any effort at all. Of your 4 points, Asiina not being around to update the OP might be the only one that had a point to it. I have seen games in votefinder while in recruiting stages and, again, if I'm right and the combined thread is slow moving, it will be "harder" in that folks might have to scroll a little bit to find a game. And people ask all the time if games are open here. If you don't like the merged threads idea then okay, great, we just have different ideas here. I just don't see how there will ever be such a crazy amount of mafia discussion that it would make a thread for that + game recruiting make it hard to find games. And if I'm wrong? Then you can split that thread into game recruiting only and mafia discussion only. Merging the two threads is a very reasonable suggestion since no one seems to be willing to start the Discussion of Mechanics thread. It will give a good litmus of "Is there actually going to be a need for a separate thread?" and is the most efficient way to move forward.

But sure, I'm unable to keep up with a simple discussion, yes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

uranus posted:

hey guys i thought of a role. it would be a town player who is on the scum team and flips as scum but wins with the town. they would know all the scum team but have a hard time convincing anyone cause they would flip scum goon. what you think?

that sounds cool uranus. you should launch a game with all your good ideas in them.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

...both threads would be right here in Traditional Games.

Who gives a poo poo who the OP of either thread is? We just want things to work.

Ok that's fine. Would you want to post the thread or would uou want someone else to?

There's literally no way for Asiina to hinder any posting of that thread.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

Thanks for the reference. I will take a look at the game.

The role didn't actually come into play in The League II.

Here's where it happened in The League I.

My role PM was

quote:

The Bride
Roaring Rampage of Revenge - Each night you may choose a player to hunt. If that player makes an attempt to kill you, you will be able to resurrect on any day you choose within the next two. If you do not resurrect, you suffocate in your casket and die for real. After resurrecting, you lose this ability.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Opopanax posted:

Why are you intentionally misrepresenting my argument? My whole point is we want less inclusivity and make things more open. Giving people a better method of belonging to this community and talking about Mafia outside of the Crew thread and game threads actually makes everything more available especially to those who aren't interested in the Crew discussion.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

chaoslord posted:

Swearing at folks is also a good way to spread the community and keep players.

The issue here is that you and I must have wildly different ideas about how many posts a combined "Mafia discussion + new game thread" is going to get. I am fairly confident it will be a slow moving thread which means that having them combined will not detract from anyones ability to find a new game unless they are unwilling to put forth any effort at all. Of your 4 points, Asiina not being around to update the OP might be the only one that had a point to it. I have seen games in votefinder while in recruiting stages and, again, if I'm right and the combined thread is slow moving, it will be "harder" in that folks might have to scroll a little bit to find a game. And people ask all the time if games are open here. If you don't like the merged threads idea then okay, great, we just have different ideas here. I just don't see how there will ever be such a crazy amount of mafia discussion that it would make a thread for that + game recruiting make it hard to find games. And if I'm wrong? Then you can split that thread into game recruiting only and mafia discussion only. Merging the two threads is a very reasonable suggestion since no one seems to be willing to start the Discussion of Mechanics thread. It will give a good litmus of "Is there actually going to be a need for a separate thread?" and is the most efficient way to move forward.

But sure, I'm unable to keep up with a simple discussion, yes.

chaoslord is my new spirit animal

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

The role didn't actually come into play in The League II.

Here's where it happened in The League I.

My role PM was

For some reason I thought this was capps role, since he also returned from the dead.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
League was such a great game and I'm still kinda salty about League 2.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

chaoslord is my new spirit animal

Shut up you dipshit criminal.

just kidding

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Magnus Gallant posted:

Ok that's fine. Would you want to post the thread or would uou want someone else to?

There's literally no way for Asiina to hinder any posting of that thread.

If this thread is already trying to serve the purpose of the "Theory" thread and people don't use the other thread because the Old Mafia Crew doesn't all switch to the new system then what's the point? New people, old timers, and people barely hanging on will just see an unorganized mess.

I can't believe I have to restate this for you. I've already brought it up.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Have you ever poo poo in the woods? I haVe

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm undefeated in the Leagueverse

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

If this thread is already trying to serve the purpose of the "Theory" thread and people don't use the other thread because the Old Mafia Crew doesn't all switch to the new system then what's the point? New people, old timers, and people barely hanging on will just see an unorganized mess.

I can't believe I have to restate this for you. I've already brought it up.

But I don't think anyone considers this a theory thread and the oldtimers you're talking about seem to all be open to posting in a dedicated theory thread.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Without the support of the currently active community any attempt to draw newer players in, or older players back, will fail. I don't see how that's a confusing concept.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Asiina said it was absurd to split the thread when instead we could have a redundant thread that will be doomed to fail. :downs:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Asiina said it was absurd to split the thread when instead we could have a redundant thread that will be doomed to fail. :downs:

I said it absurd to remove information from the OP of this thread. Why would I make it less informative?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Opopanax posted:

Yeah, it's part of Mafia. The game concept is about hanging people during the day.

It's fine if you don't want to use the word because you personally are offended by it but it's pretty goddamned rude to belittle others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
whatever happens I will happily post in both threads

i just think re-purposing the new game announcement thread into "new games + theory" is the path of least resistance, a good compromise, and as chaos put it a good litmus test to see what kind of activity level you would actually see from a theory thread

best case: it's SUPER popular and okay, fine you were right met. then we'll make a separate thread for theory only and everyone wins
worst case: no one talks about theory and it's just used for new games as it is today

my hunch is that there is going to be a short surge of theory discussion followed by a sudden lull and we return to the status quo, but i would be happy to be proven wrong