Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

EccoRaven posted:

I will make my World Famous* sweet potato soup. It is Officially Fall everywhere in the world that matters.

That sounds really good and fall is the best (too bad it was over 95F here today).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like some rifftrax, but only if it's for a movie I'm prepared to hate, which is different than the just sorta weird and bad old movies from MST3K.

For my making fun of movies needs I just listen to podcasts like We Hate Movies and How Did This Get Made.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

winvirus posted:

do not invite piuro back. actually, gently caress it, yes, y'all deserve him. same with fatluigi

i love/hate mills, i guess thats a judgment call

impureawesome was a dumbass

everyone else cool.

see now this is elitism but w/e

The people on that list are people I remember having fun in games with. Some less than others, but they were people who played games and chatted and that I remember.

idgaf what y'all think of piuro, he's been nothing but friendly and kind to me and when you're trying to grow a community he's exactly the sort of person you want. impureawesome made some games I had a blast in. Mills is good to have around for various reasons and definitely not only because I used to have a massive crush on him.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

I like some rifftrax, but only if it's for a movie I'm prepared to hate, which is different than the just sorta weird and bad old movies from MST3K.

For my making fun of movies needs I just listen to podcasts like We Hate Movies and How Did This Get Made.

I love how did this get made and enjoy we hate movies.

Both of them are not as good as mst3k and cinematic titanic.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Is piuro wafflehound, who was scum and got winvirus probated during a game for something like punctuation?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Piuro is wafflehound right?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I have Jamuraan and flatluigi as steam friends. That's about all I can offer in terms of getting in contact with old people.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

also here is an opinion from hiipfire in the skype chat

Maybe we should work on being less rude assholes

Hey, I've got a sparkling personality and I'm not at all an rear end in a top hat.

At least not outside the game.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
The crux of everything is in the game itself. If the mod is poo poo and lazy, people won't really have a fun time, if the players are apathetic and inactive, it's awful. That's what would generate content in old threads for discussion, hype for a good new game, funny/cool poo poo that would happen in said games, think the thread thing is whatever honestly.

My problem is that I really want to create the best and most fun games and when people sign-up and barely post my interest in investing time in my game wanes because I feel like people don't really give a poo poo. Or they do but it's hard when a few people are creating a fun atmosphere while the rest shitpost and bring others into it.

Like, the discussion I had with JakeP a few weeks ago annoyed me a bit where it was like "yeah you don't need to post more than a sentence to get through to somebody, if you could say something in 5 words instead of a paragraph you obviously do that, gently caress actually putting in effort I play to win, I dont play for the mod" was the gist of what he was saying.

Alternatively, I played against JakeP and a few other townies the following game I signed up for (BottleKnights game), town barely did anything and it was the easiest scum win ever for Dhaes and Keane and I because town had a bunch of people that had a similar posting style as JakeP, also, Lumpen. To be fair Jake actually put in effort I'm not accusing him of anything that game, just saying a lot of town barely posted and if they did it was like "yeah I agree with dhaes" "ok lets do this"

tldr: not telling people how to play, but if everybody put in 10 or 20% more effort into games it actually helps!! people enjoy fun games!! people actually read these games and notice how much fun or not that we're having!!

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Amoeba102 posted:

Is piuro wafflehound, who was scum and got winvirus probated during a game for something like punctuation?

yeop.

sorry you think it's elitism, lutr, but it's actually spitting hard truth. some people are detrimental to the community. sorry that i called out like 3 or 4 people out of a list of like 50. thats not an awful ratio

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

I love how did this get made and enjoy we hate movies.

Both of them are not as good as mst3k and cinematic titanic.

i like redlettermedia is this something like anythign simalre

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

If that's true that's funny.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Just trying to eat this steak and not type words so bye

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

luigi was good to have in that giant game because he drove it with his hyperposting but he also complained all the time

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I personally miss Pander and Chili

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Magnus, yeah it happened and while it may be funny in retrospect, it was terrible gamesmanship.

DBD hasa good point, games are less wordy than they used to be.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

uranus posted:

i like redlettermedia is this something like anythign simalre

Sorta!

I also like RedLetterMedia. I have a crush on Jay.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

tldr: not telling people how to play, but if everybody put in 10 or 20% more effort into games it actually helps!! people enjoy fun games!! people actually read these games and notice how much fun or not that we're having!!

Yeah if there is a problem I think it is this and the apathy that comes with it. It is particularly a bummer in your games because I really do like your setups, but they seem to be particular targets for apathy.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Amoeba102 posted:

Magnus, yeah it happened and while it may be funny in retrospect, it was terrible gamesmanship.

DBD hasa good point, games are less wordy than they used to be.

Not even wordy tbh, like if there is constant dialogue between people then that's great, doesn't matter how long

My point is that when everybody is posting content it means it's harder to actually differentiate who's scum and who's not. Content drives discussion in games so if 14 people are posting quality stuff there's a lot of things to look at, which makes the game more fun to me at least.

I made this point earlier, back in the day you had waar (rip) and Alasdair, and people knew you could barely have 2 of them in the same game let alone other people like them, when you have 10 people posting like that it's just a shitshow

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

winvirus posted:

yeop.

sorry you think it's elitism, lutr, but it's actually spitting hard truth. some people are detrimental to the community. sorry that i called out like 3 or 4 people out of a list of like 50. thats not an awful ratio

People change. People grow. I pulled a lot of poo poo back in my day. I'm just saying that a clean slate approach is the best way to do this. If I'm gonna be contacting a huge list of vets and you want them to stick around, one of the worst things we can do is throw past behavior in their faces if they do show up.

As an example unrelated to Mafia, I came back to SA after a hiatus so I could post in the restaurant industry thread after getting a job that was way over my head. I posted like twice and someone felt the need to bring up some stupid poo poo from my past that happened pretty publicly on this forum and that was so horrible for me that I went through a couple parachutes trying to distance from it. It put such a bad taste in my mouth that I left again and didn't come back until Met messaged me.

Clean slate. It's literally the only way. If past shitheads become present shitheads then we'll deal with it.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love wheel of the worst

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

also here is an opinion from hiipfire in the skype chat

Maybe we should work on being less rude assholes

Yeah I do think this is a thing sometimes.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lets make tier lists of mafia posters. I'll begin.

Tier 1a: Harold Krell, Lumpen, Ecco

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Lets make tier lists of mafia posters. I'll begin.

Tier 1a: Harold Krell, Lumpen, Ecco

Yes but what does the tier mean?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Chatted with chic. She says she has trouble keeping up with threads anyway but what throws her out of it is how negative stuff can be.

I have to agree. I am basically on the verge of taking a break myself just because I don't like the volatility but I'm sticking around for long enough to make sure votefinder and everything is stable

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
When did everyone become such dirty hippies?

I'm pretty sure that type of thing has been around for the whole time.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

Yes but what does the tier mean?

This is like that time we organized people into groups of 4 based on made up reasons.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Honestly it really does feel more volatile than it used to be sometimes re: negativity both in this thread and in games. Whether it actually IS or if it's just a shift in my perspective is up in the air though I guess

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CapitalistPig posted:

When did everyone become such dirty hippies?

I'm pretty sure that type of thing has been around for the whole time.

I guess maybe there's a point here. Maybe ill try to be less abrasive, i have noticed myself becoming more abrasive lately.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Chic Trombone posted:

Honestly it really does feel more volatile than it used to be sometimes re: negativity both in this thread and in games. Whether it actually IS or if it's just a shift in my perspective is up in the air though I guess

Today was a bad day for this thread's volatility, it comes and goes in waves. Can't speak for games.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

Today was a bad day for this thread's volatility, it comes and goes in waves. Can't speak for games.

Games are a total crapshoot. Some games are just SO ANGRY and others are perfectly pleasant, and that's with high amounts of content in both and even with the same posters in both.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
we need to clear the air

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
##farts

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i'm VERY mad

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Chic Trombone posted:

did you know you were giving a deposition lol

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Asiina posted:

Games are a total crapshoot. Some games are just SO ANGRY and others are perfectly pleasant, and that's with high amounts of content in both and even with the same posters in both.

Maybe I've just been unlucky with the games I've been joining? Like the one I'm in now is fine but the last, like, 5-10 before it were all pretty salt-encrusted

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 27, 2020

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

i'm VERY mad

:colbert:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just skipped 20 pages and you guys are still talking about this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

:tipshat: