Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Arrrthritis posted:

Wasn't a really big fan of this week's episode. None of the jokes really landed for me (except for "how did I get here?").

It's a little maddening because I don't really feel like anything about it was really bad, but I can't help compare it to Rixty Minutes which was nothing short of amazing.

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, what stood out to me was that most of them were a single character, usually Justin Roiland just rambling to himself and saying nonsense words. Most good improv is built on back-and-forth between two or more people, or at least multiple characters.
I think this is why the "How did I get here?" and "Michael and Pichael" skits got a bit of a chuckle out of me while the rest didn't. In both skits there was some sort of character interaction going on to make it amusing: "How did I get here" had Morty noticing that the coffee person vanished from the hospital, and Michael and Pichael had Morty noticing that the bodies of worm guys went off camera, which set up the conjoined twins gag.

For the B-plot, like others mentioned I was expecting Jerry to be actually killed and replaced with another Jerry after he was shot (or something like that), so after that the B-plot ended up feeling like a bit of a missed opportunity. Alternatively, just go ahead and have Jerry get his penis replaced, and do some crude-but-funny jokes about it. As the alien noted, humans love dick jokes.:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I always have a hard time saying whats the episode I liked the least from Rick and Morty. Not anymore, THIS is the episode that I like the least.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

John Wilkes Booth posted:

And later there's a wet floor sign in front of it, but the Spanish "PISO MOJADO" version.

I noticed that (along with the audience reaction in the background) and I think it will be the little things like that that help support this episode in the end.

But I still don't want another Interdimensional Cable episode.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The improv rants are really stupid most of the time but the characters react to them like they're really stupid and part of the gag is that there's tons of stupid poo poo on tv.

The gag was obviously much better the first time around, which is even brought up by Rick at the start. I'm not sure if it was worse than the singing contest episode, both episodes still had their moments.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

fade5 posted:

I think this is why the "How did I get here?" and "Michael and Pichael" skits got a bit of a chuckle out of me while the rest didn't. In both skits there was some sort of character interaction going on to make it amusing: "How did I get here" had Morty noticing that the coffee person vanished from the hospital, and Michael and Pichael had Morty noticing that the bodies of worm guys went off camera, which set up the conjoined twins gag.

Yeah, for sure. The Michael and Pichael skit was definitely one of the better ones exactly because there were multiple characters to bounce the premise off each other, which leads to the gag about their parents naming them like that.

quote:

I...don't? I'm annoyed when TVIV does their typical TVIV thing of, instead of just going "I didn't like [a thing]", they go "[a thing] is bad because of X, Y, and Z", when it turns out that the person who posted the latter has no idea what they're talking about

my whole point is to not justify humor, because you can't, because it's subjective. so this dumb horseshit mental tack people take of instead of simply going "this wasn't funny i didn't like this" they instead go "WELL IT'S ACTUALLY OBJECTIVELY BAD BECAUSE OF THIS THIS AND THIS, BECAUSE I HAVE NO loving CLUE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT AND TELEVISION PRODUCTION IS MAGIC"

"Don't say you don't like a thing and then provide a reason why you don't like it, just say you don't like it!"

Threads consisting of 'I liked this' and 'I did not like this' posted in sequence after each episode would make for pretty dull reading. Also, humour isn't entirely subjective or even really close! Of course different people will find different things funny, but "weak joke" and "good joke" are existent categories, just with the understanding that some people might laugh at the former or get nothing out of the latter.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

MariusLecter posted:

How DID they get there? *wink*

The iced coffee machine was still running and spilling her order. :allears:

I was actually expecting that to be foreshadowing for something, that the Interdimensional Cable was somehow kidnapping hospital personnel to star in its lovely programs. Slowly picking off the cast by inserting it into bizarre improv comedy would have been a much more refreshing take on the concept. As is, it felt like a retread.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

So was the olympics skit improved? Did he just say argablargblarg over and over again more excitedly and that's what they came up with? Was michael and pychael improved at the same time he did rick and morty reacting to it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The straight commercials I'd assume were Justin and Ridley (and Abed!) in a booth riffing away, then picking the funniest ones and writing an episode around them. So Rick and Morty reacting is written in a sense, but may not have been totally locked down.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Android Blues posted:

Also, humour isn't entirely subjective or even really close!

lol, good joke dude

Android Blues posted:

"Don't say you don't like a thing and then provide a reason why you don't like it, just say you don't like it!"

sure, if you know what you're talking about support your opinions, unfortunately most people itt either don't or, worse, are grossly misinformed and essentially talking out of their rear end

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Oddly enough the one I liked was the octopus-man. Which was the least coherent . Maybe it was because the animators had to come up with something to make actually work, and delivered.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
I laughed my rear end off at personal space. And the end of the improv singing one.

e: and Lil Bits

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Every time he's giggling at himself while he's performing one of his ramblings, I think about whatever cartoon that was that ripped on Jimmy Fallon for laughing during SNL skits. Maybe it was from a Peter Griffin rant? Yeah, it's funny when you're breaking character when things are super funny but not all the time, right?

Some of them were borderline "This poo poo was really funny when we were stoned and recorded it!"

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

The family walks so happily into the restaurant!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I don't know... The frame plot was pretty great, but the tv stuff didn't work as well. I was nearly dying when I saw Two Brothers and Ball Fondlers and so on, but the only decent ones here were Lil Bits and How Did I Get Here??

There's that weird reach-around too, with Morty asking why all of them had to involve juvenile violence. It wasn't even clever, just... accurate.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm obsessed with Octopus Man.

Holiday Lobster
Oct 27, 2009

I am going to smack everyone into tiny little pieces.
:h:

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I laughed my rear end off at personal space. And the end of the improv singing one.

Personal space, with the people behind rick/morty/summer/beth just shaking their heads in disgust at the show.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Holiday Lobster posted:

Personal space, with the people behind rick/morty/summer/beth just shaking their heads in disgust at the show.

Except for that one alien who was just SO PUMPED! about it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fellbat posted:

Oddly enough the one I liked was the octopus-man. Which was the least coherent . Maybe it was because the animators had to come up with something to make actually work, and delivered.

Just rewatched the episode... the dude voicing that one sounded straight-up drunk.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
You just know the guy with the scar driving wasn't actually in the riff. They just added him 'because' and that's what slays me.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
Though I thought the episode was the weakest of the season, the "How's it Made" and the "How Did I get Here" segments were great. Especially Rick shouting "How did she get there?!" with the same astonishment as from Rixty Minutes when the fake doors ad kept going.

Oh and the menacing stare from the "How Did I get Here" host as he watched the family discuss the show was perfect.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
That wasn't great

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

cjg posted:

Some of them were borderline "This poo poo was really funny when we were stoned and recorded it!"
Idk, I feel like the desperate slide into shock humor that ends pretty much every skit was a concession that they weren't very good, like the improvisers didn't even set out with a coherent seed of a concept to explore and felt forced to abandon it after 15 seconds for something easier.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But I still don't want another Interdimensional Cable episode.

Too bad, you're getting one paintball episode per season until cancellation.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

pseudorandom name posted:

Too bad, you're getting one paintball episode per season until cancellation.

It's the worst part of Harmon enabling the worst part of Rolland.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh no...they're CODEPENDENT! RUN! :gonk:

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Objectively the best joke in this episode was none of them

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

demons

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Quandary posted:

Objectively the best joke in this episode was none of them

You're wrong because of Werner Herzog's dick joke speech.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

To be fair, it wasn't so much a joke as it was a guy seriously explaining a very real aspect of human society in a non-ironic manner.

It wasn't funny because it was a joke. It was funny because it's true.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I just love how that is something we can say.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

sure, if you know what you're talking about support your opinions, unfortunately most people itt either don't or, worse, are grossly misinformed and essentially talking out of their rear end

The entire point of Rixty Minutes and this is that the improv is objectively bad. Would it be funny if Roiland was on a stage alone saying this stuff? Well, maybe, but not for the reasons you would pay to see someone perform improv comedy. It only "works" here (subjective) because of how they interpret and animate it and because it's an alternate reality so it doesn't matter. They fully admit that they're just bullshitting around in the commentary for Rixty Minutes. I wasn't a fan of the whole concept the first time around, and this time they couldn't even commit to the scenarios they came up with and just said gently caress it - violence.

If you find Roiland's improv inherently funny in itself then fine, but if someone doesn't care for this concept they're "talking out of their rear end"?

Earlier I posted that "anyone could ramble off nonsense" and I realize that that was a bit hyperbolic, but you also don't have to be a creative genius either to be given a frame for a concept and ramble on about it when literally anything you spit out will be animated anyway. And yes I'm aware that they probably did a bunch of takes and selected the best ones.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

So sounds like this is the most divisive episode of the season

which means everyone will claim that they loved it next year and it was hilarious but the third one wasnt funny. Except that one joke. And obviously that other joke, that one was the best. and maybe that one but its all terrible. Liked the last joke too.

morty was just so angry about that woman's face... and the zoo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think I liked it a bit more on the second airing because I was noticing more background stuff.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CelticPredator posted:

Which sucks because Gravity Falls is pretty good, but fans will be fans.

I didn't even know what gravity falls was but I knew a guy who asked me if I did once and then decided it was his duty to tell me literally every detail about the show. Then thought it'd be rad to link me all kinds of horrifying fan art. I do not talk to that guy anymore. There are probably fans like that for everything, but they seem to be especially pronounced for shows like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe for some reason.

Anyway, regarding today's episode; it was kind of weak but some of the bits were funny and I always do enjoy a Jerry episode. Octopus Man was my favorite though, he helps people.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I didn't like this episode as much as some of the others but holy poo poo are some of y'all overreacting by saying it's worse than Fallout 3 or whatever.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I just loved the reference to Chicken noodle man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFUL0ucmrnU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The entire point of Rixty Minutes and this is that the improv is objectively bad.

bwa hah hah hah hah okay buddy *ruffles your hair fondly*

go get yourself an ice cream, great hustle on the field there sport

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo you are insufferable.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Holy poo poo you are insufferable.

it's okay, you can't win em all. all that matters is that you tried your best and played like a champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
No matter what any of us think of this episode, I think we can all come together and agree that it was better than Toxxupation's posts.

• Locked thread