Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Didn't they? I don't hear people bitching about it anymore. :shrug:

Not really. Morons on the Paradox forums routinely bitch about Paper-, Bird-, and Sword Mana. Often while complaining about La Baguette.

It's great, because it immediately tips you off to which posts can be safely ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gort posted:

Don't spend IC upgrading units unless you really have NOTHING else to do with it. More units will almost always trump better upgraded ones due to a number of combat mechanics.

The thing is I didn't. And my 1926 and 1931 infantry are being cut to ribbons when going on the offensive against French troops.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Randarkman posted:

The thing is I didn't. And my 1926 and 1931 infantry are being cut to ribbons when going on the offensive against French troops.

Yeah, the "don't upgrade, build more units" has one serious caveat, and that is "EXCEPT when you're talking about the troops from the Re-activate the Wehrmacht event because holy poo poo".

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It would certainly have to be more built up by that point I think than it was historically, otherwise it doesn't seem particularly plausible that the French kings wouldn't just gently caress off to the court of some other European king until things could get back under control. It's not exactly like the king of Portugal fleeing his minor state to live in a colony that's about equal to the mother country. Plus just imagine telling the French king that he should flee the most magnificent court in Europe and go live in a swamp. Still, that would offer the possibility of a Revolutionary Canada vs. Absolutist Louisiana, with the US trapped in the middle, horrified at the politics on display, which would not be the worst thing.

Mods??? MODS?!?!?!?!?!

oystertoadfish posted:

edit: although i suppose they would've headed back to paris in 1815 or whenever napoleon gets beaten in that scenario - but after a generation of slave-holding, how well would they have integrated back into metropolitan french society? might've been interesting. the portuguese court spent a generation in a slave-holding colony - i wonder if that was part of why dom pedro felt alienated from portugal after growing up in brazil, and ended up choosing the latter over the former? so the bourbons going to st-domingue would've been quite a direct parallel to the historic experience of the braganzas in brazil, i suspect

The idea was that Brazil's independence was basically guaranteed for quite a while and the monarchy spent as much time there as they did to make sure that when they left Pedro could maintain Brazil in a state that while independent would still be as friendly as possible to Portugal.

Gort posted:

Don't spend IC upgrading units unless you really have NOTHING else to do with it. More units will almost always trump better upgraded ones due to a number of combat mechanics.
Does DH still have that vannila HoI2 thing where two militias + 1 regular infantry unit was OP as hell because the militias would devour all the enemy bullets and let the infantry fight unmolested?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mans posted:

Mods??? MODS?!?!?!?!?!
Portugal IS a small country.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I think it's possible too, but it would take a lot of narrative in a video game to get people to that world. This is why I'm like the only person in the world I guess who doesn't really like KaiserReich. It takes a simple idea (Germany wins WWI) and throws so much additional speculation and narrative on to it and then once the game starts keeps spamming even more that at no point do you feel like you can casually get on top of the story.

I think it's a strength of KR that it doesn't just try to interpret what could have happened as a result of its point of divergence, but inserts a couple of points of divergence after that and consistently takes the paths that would result in more potential conflict. There's really no reason that the Indian subcontinent should be divided up between the three states, except that it'll give the player an interesting scenario to declare war over.

It's like if you were going to write a Harpoon scenario about as US carrier battle group facing down a combined Chinese+Vietnamese navy off the coast of Madagascar. Who cares how wildly improbable it'd be even if it was being written by Tom Clancy himself? The important thing is that it facilitates cool and interesting gameplay.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Portugal IS a small country.
Portugal IS NOT a small country, stop trolling.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

One of the most shameful parts of decolonisation: Portugal saved up all that admin power to make Goa a core and it was all wasted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_annexation_of_Goa

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just noticed the Paradox forums changed the "disagree" button to "respectfully disagree."

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mans posted:

I respectfully disagree with this post

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mans posted:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

You forgot to randomly colour in seas and lakes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Enjoy posted:

You forgot to randomly colour in seas and lakes
It might surprise you to know, but the Portuguese actually made several versions of that map. The one I parodied must have been a later version, when the spread of discoveries finally revealed to them that the Black Sea was in fact a sea.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mans posted:

I'd like to see Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa et al overlaid on top of that map.

Or the entirety of Russia.

Or even the French colonial possessions at the time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mans posted:

Now do one but for the British Empire.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Where did Africa go?

Also, after 2300 hours played, I finally did a WC in EU IV. Did it with France, but I didn't even get the big blue blob achievement.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

vyelkin posted:

Now do one but for the British Empire.

Or Russia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Struensee posted:

Where did Africa go?
Not included in the map I parodied.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tomn posted:

I'd like to see Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa et al overlaid on top of that map.

Or the entirety of Russia.

Or even the French colonial possessions at the time.

Those were colonies, conquered with blood and steel.

Timor was as Portuguese as Lisbon.

Where the hell is Salazar's HoI4 portrait, Darkrenown? The world awaits!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Alchenar posted:

One of the most shameful parts of decolonisation: Portugal saved up all that admin power to make Goa a core and it was all wasted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_annexation_of_Goa

Really interesting and surprisingly detailed wiki page. Knew Portugal didn't still own Goa but not how it happened. Thanks for posting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Or Russia.

https://youtu.be/BXqKkYYALMU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Felix is the name of a cat food so you know this dude must be nice and friendly :)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I just beat Russia and i've taken England and its 1943.

Does the USA ever attack if you've already taken England?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
By 44 they'll start preparing amphibious invasions but it's really up to the AI gods if that means Normandies or hopeless infantry raids.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Affi posted:

So I just beat Russia and i've taken England and its 1943.

Does the USA ever attack if you've already taken England?

Happens to me really often. I always ship a ton of garrison units to Britain to man all of the beaches just in case, then I release England/Scotland/Wales as puppets. England itself will get around like 60 IC I think and is more than capable of defending its shores after they've been on their own for about a year, freeing up your troops for more fighting elsewhere.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

HoI 4 Forum getting a big glut of weirdo German Nationalists since yesterday. It's very cool.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

any "good" posts to share

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

If they're still up when I get home from work I'll try and share, but one guy is vehemently defending Germany as basically a non-aggressor in any part of WW2, and someone else is asking if the game will model German soldiers being, well, just plain better than those other nations' soldiers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If they're still up when I get home from work I'll try and share, but one guy is vehemently defending Germany as basically a non-aggressor in any part of WW2, and someone else is asking if the game will model German soldiers being, well, just plain better than those other nations' soldiers.

I've actually just reached the point in Beevor's book on the Battle of the Bulge where Eisenhower complains "how is it that our attacks always slow down to a crawl, but the Germans throw two divisions at us and suddenly they're breaking through our lines everywhere?"

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Well, the top thread is "Invading the US" and the OP's post starts off like this :

quote:

Will there be decisions and events for doing this?
"Oh but you can't invade the US"
Why not?

They are a hostile country, if you have the military capability to do so then why not?
Because it's Murica and Murica is immune to all attacks because of their freedum? **cough oligarchic lying govt cough**

"Oligarchic lying govt" :smug:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Wehraboos are the worst part about segments of Paradox's fanbase. Just slightly worse than Balkan nationalists.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

BillBear posted:

Well, the top thread is "Invading the US" and the OP's post starts off like this :

That thread is amazing. "Look, all the Axis needs to do is to conquer all of Eurasia and then spend half a decade or more building war armaments in order to successfully invade the United States, it's PERFECTLY feasible!"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mans posted:

By 44 they'll start preparing amphibious invasions but it's really up to the AI gods if that means Normandies or hopeless infantry raids.

No. I mean they havnt joined the war yet. Pearl harbour happened and they are at war with Japan. But they are at peace with me.

My game was weird though. 1933 start and England basically had no fleet. the soviets had a fully modern army and an insane airforce.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Affi posted:

No. I mean they havnt joined the war yet. Pearl harbour happened and they are at war with Japan. But they are at peace with me.

My game was weird though. 1933 start and England basically had no fleet. the soviets had a fully modern army and an insane airforce.

33 start is broken.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Is the World In Flames II mod any good for DH? I've wanted to do a campaign as the USA for some time and heard WIF II gives America tons of flavor and ups the challenge somewhat.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

BillBear posted:

Yeah that dude owns for craziness.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I've actually just reached the point in Beevor's book on the Battle of the Bulge where Eisenhower complains "how is it that our attacks always slow down to a crawl, but the Germans throw two divisions at us and suddenly they're breaking through our lines everywhere?"

I think Patton, during the battle of the Bulge, argued for simply opening the lines and letting the Germans through. Let them drive all the way to Paris with their couple of mobile divisions for all the good it will do them.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah that dude owns for craziness.
:agreed:

Furiously masturbating Neo-Nazi posted:

It's only gamey if the proper conditions such as elimination of all other threats and total naval and air domination over the coastlines of the US aren't met.
And yeah, it does have a certain appeal to it.
Just imagine, German paratroopers dropping to sieze that bottleneck that connects Detroit to Canada to stop Canadian forces from interfering with German and Italian tanks from rolling up to take the land on all sides of Detroit so the only escape is to try to swim across the great lakes.

Just imagine US machine gunners desperately trying to stop the German storm troopers from bursting into the ground floor of the concrete and stone Fisher Building fortress.

Unffff......
:godwinning: :fap:

This guy is hilarious.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
At this rate, the Paradox forums are going to end up on SPLC's list of hate groups. Jesus Christ dude, at least make an effort at being crypto about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Seems like the guy who made a pretty long post about why Germany invading the US is total bonkers didn't get many buyers.

I mean you should still be able to attempt it in game. But there's no way in hell it shouldn't be really hard to do much more than say you managed to at least land a force before it was cut off and destroyed.

e: The Kaiser had the military plans to invade the US east Coast in order to force the Americans to the bargaining table regarding European involvement in the Carribean and South America. Despite Kaiser Wilhelm being pretty enthusiastic about it, his military brass seem to have been of the opinion that it was certain to end in utter defeat and ruin, especially as the plan basically required the Germans to first conquer Cuba to act as a base, as if that would make the whole thing easier.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 23, 2015

• Locked thread