Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

the best thing 13-2 did was speed up the paradigm shifting

The best thing 13-2 did was Snow Time Cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tae posted:

There's a lot of good phone games and most snes style RPGs are no different on the phone over a handheld. Sorry you're prejudiced

Other than poo poo controls.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tae posted:

There's a lot of good phone games and most snes style RPGs are no different on the phone over a handheld. Sorry you're prejudiced

I hate not hitting buttons when I play a game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Touch controls are garbo for anything not designed to use them in the first place.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Meridian posted:

So I finished up the platinum for Final Fantasy X yesterday

Ok, tell me your secret. Because I was trying to do exactly that and sort of gave up because it was getting hair-pulling frustrating. And I'm not even talking about the chocobo stuff or the lightning doding (so fun) as I left those for the ending, or the complete insanity of filling every character's sphere grid, no, I was doing what I thought would be the easier stuff like Blitzball, except even in Blitzball I'm being destroyed. That mini-game is all right, my problem is winning the tournaments/leagues to get Wakka's items.

Like, a guide says, reset the stats, go hire Brother, Ropp, Wedge, Yuma Guado, and some lady from Besaid whose name eludes me right now, then keep entering the menu until a tournament shows up and the first slots reel is the prize (there's two other more slots reels). I enter, first game is against the Ronsos. They all have astronomical stats over my players, but after some resetting I eventually beat them. Second game, Albhed Psyches, they equally have monstrous stats, this time in even more important places, so they can score goals from nearly the other side of the field and they always block my players with three of theirs. Just seems impossible to win.

I considered, maybe I should level my players up in exhibition matches, but since the other teams' players also get more experience, I have no idea what to do here to gain a foothold.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Ok, tell me your secret. Because I was trying to do exactly that and sort of gave up because it was getting hair-pulling frustrating. And I'm not even talking about the chocobo stuff or the lightning doding (so fun) as I left those for the ending, or the complete insanity of filling every character's sphere grid, no, I was doing what I thought would be the easier stuff like Blitzball, except even in Blitzball I'm being destroyed. That mini-game is all right, my problem is winning the tournaments/leagues to get Wakka's items.

Like, a guide says, reset the stats, go hire Brother, Ropp, Wedge, Yuma Guado, and some lady from Besaid whose name eludes me right now, then keep entering the menu until a tournament shows up and the first slots reel is the prize (there's two other more slots reels). I enter, first game is against the Ronsos. They all have astronomical stats over my players, but after some resetting I eventually beat them. Second game, Albhed Psyches, they equally have monstrous stats, this time in even more important places, so they can score goals from nearly the other side of the field and they always block my players with three of theirs. Just seems impossible to win.

I considered, maybe I should level my players up in exhibition matches, but since the other teams' players also get more experience, I have no idea what to do here to gain a foothold.

Get a one goal lead and then stand in your own net. The AI stops functioning and you can wait for time to expire and you win.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I usually don't condone such underhanded tactics, but, blitzball is bullshit anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Blitzball is bad, so doing that and doing anything else while it's happening mitigates how annoying and tedious it is.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Get a one goal lead and then stand in your own net. The AI stops functioning and you can wait for time to expire and you win.

Ok, that's good to know. I still can't get a goal lead against the drat Albheds, though. Their goal keeper has a 18 BL stat. Highest shooting stat my players have is 14, I think. He will block everything.

I also can't hire him, since he has a contract for 24 games, so, uh.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I honestly can't remember if I ever actually got any of the ultimate weapons in FFX back in the day, even then they reeked of bullshit to young me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got all of them except for Kimahri and Lulu's because when I was younger, I thought I had a limited number times I could try lightning dodging for whatever reason so I just gave up on hers and never understood Kimahri's.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

I am at work so I can't look up the player names for you, but there are a few players that after a stat rese will crush every team. Only difficult team then becomes Al Bhed because the goalie is solid, but Jecht Shot is typically a guaranteed goal if you are close enough.

Strategy I used was to pass the ball to one of my defenders, move him forward to pull their defender out of position, get the ball to Tidus and then Jecht shot. After the first goal just pass the ball between your players for the rest of the game.

Once your already great players level up a few times you will coast through the rest of the games. From there it is just a matter of getting the right prizes to show up, but you can google the prerequisites for those and any tricks to save you some time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Much appreciated. Guess I'll give it a try again.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

Much appreciated. Guess I'll give it a try again.

Also, while you certainly don't need to, it isn't a bad idea to do Blitzball post air ship so that you,have access to Brother. Easily the best player you can hire and he trivializes the game by himself.

Other players to grab are Wedge and Zalitz, but I can't remember the others off the top of my head. Sorry about that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blitzball would be 1000% less poo poo if defenders weren't eligible to defend your shots from half the pool away.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

In Training posted:

I hate not hitting buttons when I play a game

Sakurazuka posted:

Touch controls are garbo for anything not designed to use them in the first place.
The physical feedback that comes from pressing a button is so important for any game designed to be played on a console. I'm OK playing games with simple inputs on a touch screen, but the more complicated it gets, the more frustrating it gets that you can't feel the buttons.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

The physical feedback that comes from pressing a button is so important for any game designed to be played on a console. I'm OK playing games with simple inputs on a touch screen, but the more complicated it gets, the more frustrating it gets that you can't feel the buttons.

This is a good argument for playing RPGs on the phone though? They're often turn based and don't require twitch input. No one's saying you should play Mega Man X with touch controls, but Pokémon plays just fine, as would most FFs (not 6 if you want to use Sabin, I suppose).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This is a good argument for playing RPGs on the phone though? They're often turn based and don't require twitch input. No one's saying you should play Mega Man X with touch controls, but Pokémon plays just fine, as would most FFs (not 6 if you want to use Sabin, I suppose).

It isn't about twitch input. it feels genuinely awkward and unpleasant to try to move people around using a touch screen in an interface not designed for it, even in an RPG. Combat menus are fine usually because they are redesigned with touch controls in place so they stand out less. I really hate trying to move around in SNES RPGs using touch controls, it feels awful.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

"OK" is not exactly a ringing endorsement. It's potentially tolerable to play simple rpgs ported to a touch screen but those rpgs would still feel better on a system with buttons or a controller with buttons.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing you need to do at blitzball is get tidus to do the Jecht shot a bunch and get a better goalie. other things help but are optional.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

If you want to steal the Psyche's goalie there's one type of game (exhibition?) where you only play one match and don't get any rewards or exp but it uses up games on a contract. Once the goalie is to his last game you can save scum until they don't resign him when his contract expires. You can then pick him up and you'll become unstoppable.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
The Al-Bheds were much stronger in X-2's Blitzball.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aurain posted:

#RPGLivesMatter

#BlackMagesMatter

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Someone thinks you can because there's a Mega Man X port on mobiles lol. Turn based stuff is fine but moving around still sucks and you get stuff like the Secret of Mana phone port which is just, urgh.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

#BlackMagesMatter

the politically correct term is "earthbound papas" you racist

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

blitzball owns and is way too easy if anything

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

epitasis posted:

blitzball owns and is way too easy if anything

It was fun at first. Once you understand how it works it becomes impossible to lose and then it is a boring slog to get Wakka's stuff.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's probably better to play a couple of blitzball games every now and again instead of leaving it until the end and having to play like 8 straight hours or whatever of blitzball (because yeah once you figure it out you easily win every match 9-0 and it's super boring)

Plus if you're doing it along the way like that, you'll get prizes like Door to Tomorrow/Underdog's Secret/Gambler's Spirit etc which you can mix with Rikku's overdrive to get Trio of 9999 if you don't feel like fighting some of the tougher story bosses

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

It's probably better to play a couple of blitzball games every now and again instead of leaving it until the end and having to play like 8 straight hours or whatever of blitzball (because yeah once you figure it out you easily win every match 9-0 and it's super boring)

Plus if you're doing it along the way like that, you'll get prizes like Door to Tomorrow/Underdog's Secret/Gambler's Spirit etc which you can mix with Rikku's overdrive to get Trio of 9999 if you don't feel like fighting some of the tougher story bosses

Trio of 9999 is the poo poo. Seymour and Yunalesca didn't piss me off nearly as much this time around.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Any phone game that uses an onscreen dpad is design failure. Using the edges of the screen is tolerable but it's far more preferable to use touch recognition and pathing, which frankly isn't very difficult to do. All the SNES RPG ports are so half-assed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Meridian posted:

Trio of 9999 is the poo poo. Seymour and Yunalesca didn't piss me off nearly as much this time around.
The trick to mountain Seymour is if you have gotten any sphere levels at all with Yuna, you can grind Aeon overdrives at the savepoint before and just unload. That seems far more desirable than needing to play blitzball.

And Yunalesca was never a hard boss. Just a ridiculously huge troll that will kill you 10 minutes into the fight to teach you the gimmick.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

zedprime posted:

The trick to mountain Seymour is if you have gotten any sphere levels at all with Yuna, you can grind Aeon overdrives at the savepoint before and just unload. That seems far more desirable than needing to play blitzball.

And Yunalesca was never a hard boss. Just a ridiculously huge troll that will kill you 10 minutes into the fight to teach you the gimmick.

I don't remember needing to play Blitzball to get the items for Trio. I think if you do the chocobo race at Remiem temple and complete it with three chests you're easily set for the rest of the game if you want to use that mix.

edit: Which you should, because it's bad rear end. I slept on Rikku every time I played this game until my last play through and having done everything there is to do in the game she's the second best character in the game by far.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 23, 2015

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

zedprime posted:

The trick to mountain Seymour is if you have gotten any sphere levels at all with Yuna, you can grind Aeon overdrives at the savepoint before and just unload.

this is a valid strategy for most storyline fights if you're having trouble with them, to be fair.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I beat Yunalesca, now I have the airship. Is there an optimal, or at least less-long order that I should do the all the optional and sidequest stuff in?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

I beat Yunalesca, now I have the airship. Is there an optimal, or at least less-long order that I should do the all the optional and sidequest stuff in?

I don't know which ones you're planning on doing, but getting Anima should probably be the first thing you do, assuming you've been getting the cloister treasures, because getting Yuna's ultimate weapon is a good way to begin to trivialise the non-super boss fights

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
the only Dark Aeon you will have to deal with eventually is Dark Valefor, to get back into Besaid. thankfully you can just Zanmatsu it

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

Excels posted:

the only Dark Aeon you will have to deal with eventually is Dark Valefor, to get back into Besaid. thankfully you can just Zanmatsu it

Word of warning: if you don't want to have to do this to get Anima then make sure you get the hidden sphere the first time around.

I didn't and I'm sure doing so would have saved me a great deal of frustration and money. :negative:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

morallyobjected posted:

I don't know which ones you're planning on doing, but getting Anima should probably be the first thing you do, assuming you've been getting the cloister treasures, because getting Yuna's ultimate weapon is a good way to begin to trivialise the non-super boss fights

I'm planning on Platinuming this one. I did all the destruction spheres except Zanarkand. I'll check out Anima and Yuna's weapon.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm planning on Platinuming this one. I did all the destruction spheres except Zanarkand. I'll check out Anima and Yuna's weapon.

After that I would suggest capturing monsters. 10 of each will unlock all the arena creations except Nemesis and you will get Auron's crest or sigil for his celestial weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
And it figures the versions of the games they're porting to Steam are the mobile ones, which raises some issues. Final Fantasy IV has this thing where you can't use a weapon as an item unless you put the item as an ability in your ability menu. It doesn't break the game or anything, but it's pretty annoying.

And I remember the mobile port of VI being really half-assed, more than usual.