Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

So this is kinda chatty, I guess -

After a 3 year break, I've started driving again. (my old job, managing a bar, was -2 miles from home, so there were two good reasons to not drive right there). I'm 42 years old, and have driven otherwise consistently since I was 15.

I'm loving PETRIFIED OF EVERYTHING. Lane changes, streets, other cars, pedestrians, every squeak, rattle or smell from my own car. I'm constantly freaked out about insane poo poo like my cat overheating and catching fire, wiring faults, etc. I STILL haven't managed to put myself on the freeway.

What the gently caress, guys? When I was a teenager I was of course a fearless maniac. In my 20s and 30s, loved building up cars and taking them to autoX but drove responsibly and safely without much concern. And now... Just the thought of getting into my awesome car and tooling around on a beautiful southern California afternoon fills me with anxiety to the point of avoidance.

"You've gotta force yourself to get out there and just loving do it, man" - Sure. As if. I only *HAVE* to drive about 2x/month, about 3 miles each way. And that's exactly how far I drive. Surface streets, right lane, behind buses, with my hands nailed to the wheel, hyper aware to the point where my ex says I'm a danger to others on the road due to overbraking. And she's probably right.

Thoughts, please?

Take a road trip. Nothing like 6 hours of driving to numb the senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Open mouth insert Guiness.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Open mouth insert penis.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

That too. poo poo I walked right into that one.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

After a 3 year break, I've started driving again. (my old job, managing a bar, was -2 miles from home, so there were two good reasons to not drive right there). I'm 42 years old, and have driven otherwise consistently since I was 15.

I'm loving PETRIFIED OF EVERYTHING. Lane changes, streets, other cars, pedestrians, every squeak, rattle or smell from my own car. I'm constantly freaked out about insane poo poo like my cat overheating and catching fire, wiring faults, etc. I STILL haven't managed to put myself on the freeway.

What the gently caress, guys? When I was a teenager I was of course a fearless maniac. In my 20s and 30s, loved building up cars and taking them to autoX but drove responsibly and safely without much concern. And now... Just the thought of getting into my awesome car and tooling around on a beautiful southern California afternoon fills me with anxiety to the point of avoidance.

"You've gotta force yourself to get out there and just loving do it, man" - Sure. As if. I only *HAVE* to drive about 2x/month, about 3 miles each way. And that's exactly how far I drive. Surface streets, right lane, behind buses, with my hands nailed to the wheel, hyper aware to the point where my ex says I'm a danger to others on the road due to overbraking. And she's probably right.

Thoughts, please?

Research anxiety and agoraphobia online. My understanding is that "exposure therapy" is the correct route, forcing yourself to push through the anxiety in every increasing exposure to the thing that causes anxiety, starting small and working you way up. The key is pushing through the anxiety until you calm down before stopping, and repeatedly doing this until your brain is retrained to not think that driving to 7-11 is as dangerous as crawling into a grizzly bear den.

Good luck, my fiance has had similar issues with driving and she has made huge strides to fixing it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Great Beer posted:

Welp, I bought a miata. rip me.

ONE OF US ON OF US ONE OF US

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

AI Starter Kit

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Super Aggro Crag posted:

AI Starter Kit

Could be mistaken, but from the picture it doesn't have enough rust, peeling plastidip, deferred maintenance and other PO fuckery to truly qualify.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Lets just say that despite all best efforts to stay in good shape the genetics and mid life still say gently caress you and I am over going to the doctors and finding out something else is loving up.

Please tell me it doesn't impact your biking. I've gotten busy and have been living vicariously through you.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Geoj posted:

Could be mistaken, but from the picture it doesn't have enough rust, peeling plastidip, deferred maintenance and other PO fuckery to truly qualify.

Or an overwhelming sense of white priveledge politically corectness.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

So I finally bought a house and moved and now have a garage and a garage catte

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moxie Omen posted:

So I finally bought a house and moved and now have a garage and a garage catte

You need more tools my friend.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Rhyno posted:

You need more tools my friend.

I only just moved in! And all the rest of my car stuff is in my storage unit. I'm going to be living in the craigslist tools section for the next year probably.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Thoughts, please?

Try driving when there are less drivers on the road until you build some confidence?

Are you taking anyone with you when you go driving?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

Please tell me it doesn't impact your biking. I've gotten busy and have been living vicariously through you.

The saddle sore that popped on Monday night with yellow goop will for a couple of days. Needed the rest anyway.

Otherwise no matter what the loving quacks say I will NOT stop riding. If I have my way I will be found on the side of the road in my 80's or 90's, a huge smile on my face as I crested that last hill and saw a magnifcent sunrise before breathing my last. Life is not worth living if it's in front of the TV. See example of God Over Djinn or fjelltorsk. gently caress rotting away.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Or an overwhelming sense of white priveledge politically corectness.

No warranty = Pleb

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit. This is the last straw with this credit union. Just glad I still have the receipt.

Made an ATM deposit on Sunday. Also needed a smaller bill, so I did a withdrawal in the same transaction.

.... they have no record of the deposit whatsoever. But they sure as poo poo show the withdrawal. And NSF fees from me thinking the deposit was posted (normally cash deposits up to $250 credit immediately - they have ATMs that accept cash and check deposits with no envelope, and count it right there).

Contacted them online, with a scanned picture of the receipt. They have to "investigate". This isn't the first time this has happened, but it's never sent me into the red before, so it sure as gently caress will be the last time.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, I experienced a low blood sugar thingy today while working. Started at 10, then got worse and worse until I finally went home for lunch at 1 and tore through my kitchen eating anything I could get my hands on. After sitting and thinking about it, I realized I had only had 2 6 packs of mini donuts to eat since sunday afternoon/night. Dunno how I went that long without going "gee, maybe I should eat", but I hope to hell I don't do it again anytime soon.

EDIT: On the other hand, I passed my work's dumb parts professional certification tests. It had multiple questions where the answer was flat out wrong like saying the name for the fuel injection system you'd find on late 90's S-10s was central fuel injection instead of TBI like everyone I know calls it and that optima batteries were not AGM batteries and did not require a trickle charger. :|

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 23, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

the name for the fuel injection system you'd find on late 90's S-10s was central fuel injection instead of TBI like everyone I know calls it

Did the V6 vortecs not have the weird central spider injection system like the V8 vortecs? 'Cause that's a different thing than TBI.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Raluek posted:

Did the V6 vortecs not have the weird central spider injection system like the V8 vortecs? 'Cause that's a different thing than TBI.

They definitely did. My '96 Blazer had the 4.3 Vortec and it had that weird goofy rear end spider system with the lovely poppet valves that like to clog up.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
They started it in 1993 i think. it had that goofy loving spider injection. The "vortec" and tbi system soldiered on together for a few years then they all went to the "vortec" style setup, just about the time the trucks gained CFI (spider) in 1996.

There was some strange years in there and a ton of overlap in the 4.3.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I dunno, I know the system they were describing was the one where you have what basically appears to be a carb (but is the throttle body) sitting on a intake manifold which is the same poo poo my dad had on his S-10, thus me pointing it out. They called it central fuel injection, everyone I've seen refers to it as throttle body injection, its possible we're all wrong though. All I know is its dumb and I want to get a 5.3 to stick in my dad's S-10 instead of his 250k mile 4.3.

EDIT: gently caress, I may be thinking of the 96 he had? I dunno, my dads had half a dozen small trucks over the years with so many different engines in them. Most got put out to pasture with 200k+ miles on them due to working as a cable contractor out of them.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 23, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

I dunno, I know the system they were describing was the one where you have what basically appears to be a carb sitting on a intake manifold which is the same poo poo my dad had on his S-10, thus me pointing it out. They called it central fuel injection, everyone I've seen refers to it as throttle body injection, its possible we're all wrong though. All I know is its dumb and I want to get a 5.3 to stick in my dad's S-10 instead of his 250k mile 4.3.

It doesn't matter where the throttle plate is, it matters where the fuel injectors are. TBI has the injectors in the throttle body, like a carburetor would. Central fuel injection has plastic lines going down each runner with poppet valves. They also have a throttle body on the top of the manifold, but it's just a throttle body, no fuel like a TBI throttle body would have.

TBI:

Spider poo poo:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Raluek posted:

Spider poo poo:

I hate this thing so much

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Preoptopus posted:

I hate this thing so much

Yeah it sucks. I just put a carb on mine! :haw:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Raluek posted:

It doesn't matter where the throttle plate is, it matters where the fuel injectors are. TBI has the injectors in the throttle body, like a carburetor would. Central fuel injection has plastic lines going down each runner with poppet valves. They also have a throttle body on the top of the manifold, but it's just a throttle body, no fuel like a TBI throttle body would have.

TBI:

Spider poo poo:

Yeah, thinking back the 4.3 I'm thinking of would have been spider, which has the proper name of central fuel injection, so I guess the question was right. I'm still right about the optima question being wrong since the training materials optima give us say to only use a trickle charger and that they are glass mat batteries. :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah, thinking back the 4.3 I'm thinking of would have been spider, which has the proper name of central fuel injection, so I guess the question was right. I'm still right about the optima question being wrong since the training materials optima give us say to only use a trickle charger and that they are glass mat batteries. :colbert:

Oh yeah, Optimas are totally AGM. I don't think an alternator counts as a trickle charger, but I suppose you should still be careful with them to maintain warranty or whatever.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Raluek posted:

Oh yeah, Optimas are totally AGM. I don't think an alternator counts as a trickle charger, but I suppose you should still be careful with them to maintain warranty or whatever.

Yeah, the charger part is just referring to you charging it from a stand alone charger. There were other weird questions in there, but it was alot of "Customer complains of X, Y and Z. What is a common cause for these issues" type stuff combined with what the least common related item to sell was. I actually have one of the best averages for related sales in our store, but I do it by just asking stuff like if they have the poo poo they're actually probably gonna need.

EDIT: Meaning brake cleaner if they're doing brakes, antifreeze if they're doing a radiator/water pump, etc. I try not to resort to selling the little packets of grease and poo poo if I can get away with it.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 23, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamnit. This is the last straw with this credit union. Just glad I still have the receipt.

Made an ATM deposit on Sunday. Also needed a smaller bill, so I did a withdrawal in the same transaction.

.... they have no record of the deposit whatsoever. But they sure as poo poo show the withdrawal. And NSF fees from me thinking the deposit was posted (normally cash deposits up to $250 credit immediately - they have ATMs that accept cash and check deposits with no envelope, and count it right there).

Contacted them online, with a scanned picture of the receipt. They have to "investigate". This isn't the first time this has happened, but it's never sent me into the red before, so it sure as gently caress will be the last time.

10 years ago I deposited a $900+ paycheck. A few days later I find I am overdrawn, there is no record of the deposit. I take my receipt in and during the conversation about where my money went the bank manager quietly crumpled it up and put in his pocket. I realized i was being hosed so I walked out and went to a lawyer. It took 4 months but they did restore the deposit. I had since moved to a credit union.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Watched Mad Max finally.

WITNESS

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
What took you so long.

Moviechat - has anyone seen the Martian?nevermind just saw it was shown at Tiff and assumed it was out.

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 23, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
really wanna see Black Mass can someone please tell me its all of the dopeness?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My coworkers complaint was that it had some seriously predictable mob movie tropes to it and he wanted them to maybe push it a little further and I was like you do know what it is about right

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

10 years ago I deposited a $900+ paycheck. A few days later I find I am overdrawn, there is no record of the deposit. I take my receipt in and during the conversation about where my money went the bank manager quietly crumpled it up and put in his pocket. I realized i was being hosed so I walked out and went to a lawyer. It took 4 months but they did restore the deposit. I had since moved to a credit union.

This is why I always hang on to my receipts until everything clears, and if something looks off, I scan the receipt immediately.

One bank in particular (not the credit union I'm currently with) was nasty about deposits disappearing (even cash deposits) and arguing with me about them ever being made, then a few days to a couple of weeks later they would appear. They actually tried to charge me a fee to close the account on top of that, and charged me to check my balance from an ATM or over the phone.

RBFCU just moved into the area last year, and after talking to them, I qualify for membership through a loophole. Oddly, their geographic membership area doesn't include DFW (even though they have like 8 branches here now), but you can join some consumer group for $5, and then my entire family can join (parents, etc). No fees, cash back even on debit purchases, no minimum balances, no catches to keeping the checking free. Only thing that sucks is I have to go into a physical branch to open the account, since they don't open them online if you have a fraud alert on your credit file.

Once this payment to the IRS clears I'm closing my current account (I don't believe in auto pay or auto draft, so nothing should be hitting it). Worst case, I'll just use Serve for a bit.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Timmy Cruise posted:

What took you so long.

Moviechat - has anyone seen the Martian?nevermind just saw it was shown at Tiff and assumed it was out.

I bought the book at Target earlier today and just finished it. Couldn't put the book down. Really, really good read. Super psyched for the movie too. I read the whole thing in Matt Damon's voice in my head too.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
RE: terrible bank chat, my old bank (National City, a regional chain based out of Cleveland) had a computer glitch in 2006 or 2007 that tripled every transaction in your account going back about three weeks. Most impacted account holders were immediately given provisional credits, no questions asked. But when I went to my local branch to have it corrected the manager kept adamantly stating that it was none of his business what I spent my money on but I needed to "be responsible and maintain a check register and then you won't overdraft your account." Oh, I should add that overnight I went from a positive $1,000+ balance to -$22,000, between every transaction I posted for three weeks being tripled and then nine $35 overdraft fees being assessed over 100+ transactions. I'm actually surprised it only got into the low five figures, it probably would have been worse but I'm sure they froze my account once it got high enough. Even when I said that EFT/ACH transactions like utilities and car insurance were tripled he wasn't swayed, saying I needed to take that up with the companies that overcharged me. I finally threatened to get a lawyer involved he relented on his "lol you're an irresponsible 20-something who just signed over 50% of your annual pay" position and actually looked up my account...and then he turned white as a sheet when he saw I wasn't lying about literally every transaction being tripled.

Don't ask me how you can be a branch manager and miss something that (IIRC) made national news. Maybe I was the first thing he had to deal with that day, before anyone could tell him things were hosed or before he bothered to check his e-mail.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 23, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

RE: terrible bank chat, my old bank (National City, a regional chain based out of Cleveland) had a computer glitch in 2006 or 2007 that posted every transaction in your account going back about three weeks. Most impacted account holders were immediately given provisional credits, no questions asked. But when I went to my local branch to have it corrected the manager kept adamantly stating that it was none of his business what I spent my money on but I needed to "be responsible and maintain a check register and then you won't overdraft your account." Oh, I should add that overnight I went from a positive $1,000+ balance to -$22,000, between every transaction I posted for three weeks being tripled and then nine $35 overdraft fees being assessed over 100+ transactions. I'm actually surprised it only got into the low five figures, it probably would have been worse but I'm sure they froze my account once it got high enough. Even when I said that EFT/ACH transactions like utilities and car insurance were tripled he wasn't swayed, saying I needed to take that up with the companies that overcharged me. I finally threatened to get a lawyer involved he relented on his "lol you're an irresponsible 20-something who just signed over 50% of your annual pay" position and actually looked up my account...and then he turned white as a sheet when he saw I wasn't lying about literally every transaction being tripled.

Don't ask me how you can be a branch manager and miss something that (IIRC) made national news. Maybe I was the first thing he had to deal with that day, before anyone could tell him things were hosed or before he bothered to check his e-mail.

Hahaha, my friend worked at NC at that point. I think I know why he wanted to kill himself now. They got absorbed into PNC didn't they?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Those of you with more cars than garage space - how do you determine which cars go in the garage? Just had a...discussion with the wife about this and am curious how other people do it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blk posted:

Those of you with more cars than garage space - how do you determine which cars go in the garage? Just had a...discussion with the wife about this and am curious how other people do it.

Most expensive goes in the garage and the other space is hers no argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

Hahaha, my friend worked at NC at that point. I think I know why he wanted to kill himself now. They got absorbed into PNC didn't they?

Yeah, PNC acquired them after NCB got into some trouble during the 2008 mortgage crisis. They had been on an acquisition spree in the mid-2000s and as a result when the housing collapse rolled around they were suddenly critically short on liquid capital to cover losses and were pretty much forced to sell.

• Locked thread