Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Moridin920 posted:

Ehh idk I always liked discussing topical events even as a 15 year old. The memes are funny but they get old loving quick.

We maybe should have a forum for utter silliness and then GBS where we can talk about stuff more seriously. I know we have FYAD and BYOB but a) those subforums look like poo poo it's like ponies jizzed everywhere, and b) they are clique-y and insular as gently caress and people don't feel comfortable posting in there. D&D is the other extreme.

There definitely could be a cut back on subforums though I agree - especially in regards to GBS. It's like we have to remove any type of discussion and move it to its own subforum because 'GBS has to remain pure' but what are we left with other than stupid racist/tranny/doobie threads?

I like most of the subject specific subforums though, there's good info from people in the field and there's less stupid trolls all over the thread.

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only post about ads in this thread please. This thread is about ads on the forums.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can we see a breakdown of ad revenue vs. new reg/upgrade purchases?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Sorry tax man but I don't want my computer to break

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Darth123123 posted:

Can we see a breakdown of ad revenue vs. new reg/upgrade purchases?

I don't need, but will take, dollar amounts. Percentages work if you don't want to disclose this to the IRS.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I think something is wrong with the ads on this forum again? Avast keeps telling me that there are bad security certificates on this site, from someplace called *illijit.com?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
nevermind

That Robot fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 18, 2015

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
nevermind

That Robot fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 18, 2015

GEExCEE
Sep 19, 2012

Idea to drive forums revenue: an "I'm feelin' hungry" button that will order you food from a local restaurant

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GEExCEE posted:

Idea to drive forums revenue: an "I'm feelin' hungry" button that will order you food from a local restaurant

Emoticons that, when posted, automatically order food for you like the Dominos ads with the guy who bought Sports Night.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
Please come back, Lowtax. I would pay 99 cents per minute to read anything you write!

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
Did You Know?

a glowtax is a light bill, yeah we get it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bastard Tetris posted:

The aggro-gator ads are unfunny garbage, let's not do that anymore
The aggro-gator ads are mostly cool but the site is unfunny garbage.

Which is kinda weird. You'd think if you could constantly make decent ads that people want to click, which is the entire reason people are so annoyed with aggro-gator to begin with and not far worse ads that they just ignore, that you'd be able to make at least some parts of a site just as good.

I mean on this page right now there's a vicious ad about the resume company by some sperglord.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 19, 2015

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

how much money does SA make from aggro gator

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Uncle Wemus posted:

how much money does SA make from aggro gator

Not enough. Bring back J-list.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Glad you found a way to ditch Rubicon, I'll leave ad blocking off unless I start getting intrusive or malicious ads again.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Is there a point to disabling adblock if you aren't clicking on the ads in the first place?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
kickstarter 10k reward: hang out with lowtax and his good pal shmorky
kickstarter 20k reward: hang out with lowtax

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i unironically like how there's a new aggro-gator ad that says "aggro-gator go to hell"

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Funny Advert

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
i tried to to read front page with my phone and lovely popup ads covered about third of the screen

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

kickstarter 10k reward: hang out with lowtax and his good pal shmorky
kickstarter 20k reward: hang out with lowtax

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

mng posted:

Is there a point to disabling adblock if you aren't clicking on the ads in the first place?

if there is not, allow me to talk to some people on fabricating a system based on a unique idea i had where we tether TOGETHER a cloud of JUNK SERVERS which will click on a button 30 times a minute. just let me remap function five on this keytar and we reADY 2 ROCK!!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Gonna start writing the forums URL on bathroom walls. Wish me luck!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Merge low populated forums together please.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I just got an ad that wanted my location data

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
Lowtax man, you doing okay? A man's business losing 90% of its revenue, I mean, that's a thing that devastates people. Do you have a "real" income and SA was pure surplus money, or has your livelihood been upended? I feel real bad right now.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Applewhite posted:

Gonna start writing the forums URL on bathroom walls. Wish me luck!

DOES YOUR BATHROOM HAVE STAIRS?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Izumi Konata posted:

DOES YOUR BATHROOM HAVE STAIRS?

I am going to run around town yelling SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM like the good ol days

make a patreon lowtax

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Node posted:

I am going to run around town yelling SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM like the good ol days

make a patreon lowtax

I would definitely volunteer a couple bux a month for what is pretty much my #1 source of entertainment. Maybe extra for a periodic fireside chat webcast wherein lowtax drinks steel reserve and responds angrily to a live-chat audience.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I would definitely volunteer a couple bux a month for what is pretty much my #1 source of entertainment. Maybe extra for a periodic fireside chat webcast wherein lowtax drinks steel reserve and responds angrily to a live-chat audience.

a literal fireside chat, wherin he dons the persona of the late walter disnep, spouting off information necessary in propping up a likeable face, directing the viewer on how to react to various segments. advertisements don't clash with his previous image because its plain as day that it was the penicillin keeping him from becoming viral all along!

note how the only differences between goofy and pluto were a coat color, the presence of an initiative to walk upright along with opposable thumbs to grasp things, and an hirability which is required to achieve a disposible income, along with the ability to simultaneously narrate and drive.

to conclude, allow me a biweekly front page segment please.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Izumi Konata posted:

a literal fireside chat, wherin he dons the persona of the late walter disnep, spouting off information necessary in propping up a likeable face, directing the viewer on how to react to various segments. advertisements don't clash with his previous image because its plain as day that it was the penicillin keeping him from becoming viral all along!

note how the only differences between goofy and pluto were a coat color, the presence of an initiative to walk upright along with opposable thumbs to grasp things, and an hirability which is required to achieve a disposible income, along with the ability to simultaneously narrate and drive.

to conclude, allow me a biweekly front page segment please.

lowtax let us manage your brand

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
all you idiots reading this thread could just buy avs for your enemies. once a year would probably do it. find a retarded poster and give them some big red truth. It's fun and healthy.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

all you idiots reading this thread could just buy avs for your enemies. once a year would probably do it. find a retarded poster and give them some big red truth. It's fun and healthy.

The more effective troll is giving someone an upsetting avatar that looks like it was purchased by themselves.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I turned adblock off for this site a week ago when I saw they were reported to be good and they are, thanks Lowtax

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

A patreon would be Cool and Good. I give money to dudes making stupid LPs, I think I can spare a few bucks a month for a site I've enjoyed using nearly ten years.

Plus there's no other good place to talk football on the internet.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

axeil posted:

Plus there's no other good place to talk football on the internet.

not to disparage the SA sporting community or anything, but SBNation has always seemed alright to me. the main site anyway, i never look at the team-specific forums that they link to. jon bois is cool and so are some of their other writers.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

lesbian baphomet posted:

not to disparage the SA sporting community or anything, but SBNation has always seemed alright to me. the main site anyway, i never look at the team-specific forums that they link to. jon bois is cool and so are some of their other writers.

Oh that's true, SBNation is pretty good. Problem is, there's honestly too many sites to keep track of and it's hard to get to know people, while here in TFF I just need to check News/Views, Aftermath and the few game threads we have (1KOB, Eliminator, etc). And I've been here so long I know all the most prolific posters and can make in-jokes and attempt to be cool.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Change your name to Richard "Bernie Sanders" Kyanka to get goon money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
Hi
The bad ads are still here, plus there is also a Lexus rich media ad that makes Safari on iOS hang.