Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hire that poo poo out, no joke. A local MSP did a free wireless site survey for us as long as we purchased all the AP's from them. The AP's were cheaper than what I found myself. Of course if you're a broke as gently caress shop who wants to ad hoc everything, good luck.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GreenNight posted:

Hire that poo poo out, no joke. A local MSP did a free wireless site survey for us as long as we purchased all the AP's from them. The AP's were cheaper than what I found myself. Of course if you're a broke as gently caress shop who wants to ad hoc everything, good luck.

I don't disagree with this. I'm a contractor (er... was. I don't do that much anymore) and I PREFER to do my own wiring, because it gets done right, fast and cheap.
However, over the years I've found that the less poo poo you can be blamed for, the better.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

larchesdanrew posted:

...and I defy anyone to come up with an appreciable con.

To quickly red-team this, here's what I come up with off the top of my head:

1) It costs more than $0.00.
2) HACKERS
3) Will administering this take away from your production light bulb duties?
4) It's wireless. Microphones are wireless. Will the wireless generate interference? WILL IT START READING MY EMAIL OUT ON THE AIR?

The last point is really the only potential con, but your wireless mics should be on a completely different band of spectrum. I'd have that information on hand when you present, though, just to shut down the argument before it gets going.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just to throw my two cents in. I've used Ubiquiti Nanostations and AirMax-Omnis in 10+ deployments and they have been rock solid. Specifically we installed them all throughout Western Alaska on the Bering peninsula and they have held up amazingly to the conditions. Really the only issue I ever had with them was problems getting wireless bridges setup if there was a firmware mismatch between devices.

And Larches pay to cable all those APs. It's so much better to have a company come in to do it. They can do it way faster than you ever could by yourself and it usually isnt that expensive.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We recently did an RF survey of our office (three floors in a 19th century stone house) and we ended up needing fifteen APs to cover everything. We went with Cisco, so I'm glad I'm not the one having to approve the invoice. :v:

But yeah, definitely do an RF survey if you want it done right. The placement of APs isn't always intuitive, and walls that you expect to block the signal might be a lot more RF transparent than you think, while you can have complete loss of signal just ten meters away simply by being around a stone-wall corner.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Arboc posted:

Buy a huge assortment of the cheapest desk lamps you can find.

larch, do this. I hear Buffalo sells a bunch of these on TIgerDirect.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Malek posted:

larch, do this. I hear Buffalo sells a bunch of these on TIgerDirect.

Yeah, but if you use more than 95% of your total wattage they lock up and you have to power cycle them to get the light to come back on. Also, if you ever need to change the bulb, it will corrupt the socket and won't accept any more bulbs ever again.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How old is the oldest active ticket in your system? I'm looking at one from 11/08/2012. But not under my team's responsibility so whelp. Our oldest ticket is 1/18/2014.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Danith posted:

one year, IT's holiday present was a $7.38 gift card to Wal-Mart for everyone.

Buy a small can of gas and a lighter. You know what to do after that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

over the years I've found that the less poo poo you can be blamed for, the better.

This viewpoint is exactly what's wrong with modern IT. Not that you have the viewpoint, but that you are essentially forced into it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Coredump posted:

How old is the oldest active ticket in your system? I'm looking at one from 11/08/2012. But not under my team's responsibility so whelp. Our oldest ticket is 1/18/2014.

Last job had about 100 open tickets at any given time. We would have celebrations (and make fun of techs assigned) for tickets that reached their first birthday. Happened about twice a year.

New place has 5 open tickets and the oldest one is a month because it was a request to move a computer that got put in 40 days in advance. The people here are wonderful to IT.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Last job had about 100 open tickets at any given time. We would have celebrations (and make fun of techs assigned) for tickets that reached their first birthday. Happened about twice a year.

New place has 5 open tickets and the oldest one is a month because it was a request to move a computer that got put in 40 days in advance. The people here are wonderful to IT.

Albeit I support external clients, I miss those days. 3 years ago when I started, we'd have on average 5-10 tickets in the queue, and most things didn't pass a week at most.

Now we struggle to stay under 50, with tickets requiring the devs to fix something that are 5-6 months old.

I hate it :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhymenoserous posted:

This viewpoint is exactly what's wrong with modern IT. Not that you have the viewpoint, but that you are essentially forced into it.

I think it's less a problem WITH IT and more a perception problem OF IT that essentially is now IT's problem.

Working for small businesses has taught me this:
You will get poo poo on, constantly, usually for poo poo that doesn't even involve you. It's almost petty and non essential.
You have to prove it doesn't involve you, so you can parry the bullshit and get back to work doing the things you need to do.

No one understands what you do, or the importance of it.
Thereby you cannot expect them to fathom that their inability to connect to the wi-fi with their cellphone is in fact less important than the fact that the entire company's internet is down because your core router/gateway failed.

The helpdesk is a catchall for any request. So that busted lightbulb, squeaky door hinge, spill on the floor, clogged toilet, or boss' kids virus laden, cum-soaked laptop.
Generally being the most capable and willing people in the building, if you have a pushover for a boss, this becomes your departments wheelhouse.

More recently I've come to understand that IT in general has a vastly superior understanding of things like: logic, critical thinking, and processes.
So things like business process management, and project management probably SHOULD be in IT's wheelhouse with the proper IT manager spearheading such things.

Otherwise you wind up with worklflows like: Export .docx to .pdf, print, fax, scan, save as .jpg, insert .jpg into word, save as .doc

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm at the same place but moved from helpdesk to servers. When I moved our server guys had 150 work orders open. In the 3 or 4ish weeks I've been here we're down to 35. I've been busting my rear end trying to get the numbers down and give these guys a renewed since of hope that they're not always going to be so behind on this stuff. Give us more time to work on projects, etc.

Coredump posted:

Ha ha the user doesn't work here any more AND the problem is resolved, goodbye year old ticket!

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 23, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I asked the GM in passing about if wifi would ever be a possibility and he said 100% yes and to draft up a complete quote and proposal to present to corporate :stonklol:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Welcome to your downfall.

You'll be asked by corporate to cut your budget down by 15%, your supervisor will step in and order crap stuff without approval, he'll limit where you can put them and how you can control and monitor the traffic, torpedo the whole thing, and the GM will come back to you and ask why they spent money on such a crap solution.

There's no way you win in this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Welcome to your downfall.

You'll be asked by corporate to cut your budget down by 15%, your supervisor will step in and order crap stuff without approval, he'll limit where you can put them and how you can control and monitor the traffic, torpedo the whole thing, and the GM will come back to you and ask why they spent money on such a crap solution.

There's no way you win in this.

Yeah, present them with a FULL solution no compromises.

Don't try to skimp on the initial proposal. Do you really think they're going to say "No, please spend MORE money" ?
Compare them to buying Cisco hardware or do what I did and get a quote from Meraki. They'll balk at the idea of spending tens of thousands of dollars on a wireless solution and probably consider yours.
If they start asking why this is so much cheaper, you can simply say

quote:

Because, we have to support it ourselves, and it's a lot of work. Most "real" companies would have a FTE dedicated to this alone, so by only spending $10,000 on Meraki, you're essentially saving $20,000/year"
Which is totally not true because someone has to administer it anyway, it's just a lot easier to manage and you do get full support.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah we ended up going the full Cisco route. All Cisco APs, Cisco wireless controller, etc.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Cisco WLCs and Aironets are great, never had any issues with them. You pay an arm and a leg for them though.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Again I'll throw out Open Mesh for a WiFi project that needs to be cheap and reliable. I run 3 of their APs on a restaurant (upwards of 75ish clients connected at a time) and it's never given me any issues. In fact I've had more issues with the EdgeRouter PRO than with the APs, why yes EdgeRouter, please conveniently forget your DHCP leases and start handing out duplicates, I SEE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Had a weird issue with Windows 7 I've never encountered before. A Windows 7 Enterprise machine, joined to the domain and imaged just like everything else we ever do, was for some reason logging into the local administrator account automatically upon boot.

It didn't take long to figure out - just going into netplwiz (User Accounts) and ticking "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" resolved the issue, but I don't know why I had to do that. I tried first doing a group policy update and rebooting, but that didn't resolve it. This was one of like 10 machines that were prepared that day, and it's the only one that decided to do this. :shrug:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Had a weird issue with Windows 7 I've never encountered before. A Windows 7 Enterprise machine, joined to the domain and imaged just like everything else we ever do, was for some reason logging into the local administrator account automatically upon boot.

It didn't take long to figure out - just going into netplwiz (User Accounts) and ticking "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" resolved the issue, but I don't know why I had to do that. I tried first doing a group policy update and rebooting, but that didn't resolve it. This was one of like 10 machines that were prepared that day, and it's the only one that decided to do this. :shrug:

I hate poo poo like that. I remember when I was setting up a dozen Surface RTs a while back. Just had them lined up so I could go down the line doing the same thing to each of them, but two just wouldn't connect to the update server or allow me to install apps from the store. Turns out, the system clock was set to the incorrect time on two of the devices.

Sure, alright. Why those two devices out of the whole batch.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

I asked the GM in passing about if wifi would ever be a possibility and he said 100% yes and to draft up a complete quote and proposal to present to corporate :stonklol:
Do up a pricing comparison between what you want and the way more expensive options like a Cisco AP in every room.

Also, re: your light bulb problem, call over to dumbfuck CE and tell him, "Hey, GM just sent an e-mail. He says to get your rear end over to the studio and engineer the lights to work, Mr. Chief Engineer."

I know I'm preaching to the choir but that problem not crash landing squarely on his face is bullshit of all bullshits.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

The Cisco WLCs and Aironets are great, never had any issues with them. You pay an arm and a leg for them though.

Buy the controller new from Cisco along with 1-2 APs so that you can get it under SmartNet for support and software updates and then buy the rest of the APs refurbished or used because once you set up the system the APs are pretty much just drop-in replacements.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

larchesdanrew posted:

It's a huge project that we left to a consultant for 55 APs supporting ~700 daily devices. Placement is ridiculously important and your radio profiles have to reflect your environment and service goals. But I have a bucket with over 80 netgear hubs now

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A ticket came in: User's last day is today, her access has already been shut off.

My response: her termination report said to shut everything off today.

Her response: I didn't realize that putting in that date would cause everything to be shut off on that exact date.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Roargasm posted:

It's a huge project that we left to a consultant for 55 APs supporting ~700 daily devices. Placement is ridiculously important and your radio profiles have to reflect your environment and service goals. But I have a bucket with over 80 netgear hubs now

We've got two companies out here that do this sort of stuff. If I've got to get a RF map and I'm also getting someone to come in to run the cables, I might as well just get one company to come in and do it all and be done with it. I may end up buying the equipment myself and letting them do the install, unless they can offer me a cheaper price for hardware. Regardless, this is kind of my first real chance to prove myself as capable, and I don't want to run into any "babbys first wifi install" issues. If I can get a reading and install budget approved, that'll pretty much 100% improve my chances for success :shrug:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Her response: I didn't realize that putting in that date would cause everything to be shut off on that exact date.

Man, when I was the IT department at my current company, our HR department would put "`date` END OF BUSINESS DAY" on tickets like that to clear up any confusion for things like that.

Though amazingly we managed to be informed of new hires weeks and sometimes months in advance, and HR actually used the ticketing system that was set up.

It was kind of awesome. (Still :yotj: out of there over to the infrastructure side with no regrets)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

They have a time option, so some of them say 5 PM. This one said 12 AM.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They have a time option, so some of them say 5 PM. This one said 12 AM.

Ticket opened after it was needed to be completed. Closed ticket as it must have been an error.

(I work with clients that don't understand midnight rollovers of calendar days)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It was sent in earlier this week. Although in the past, we have gotten terms as much as a month after they left.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just a personal gripe, but I think 12am or midnight should never be a valid user input for anything important because of the potential for misunderstanding. Use 11:59 PM or 12:01 AM.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

So the whiny creep anchor that headed up the lightbulb debacle is back.

Now his target is the brand new HD prompter monitors we installed. Apparently, he can't see punctuations and is demanding that we replace the monitors as soon as possible.

I'm noticing a trend that every complaint this guy has is based on his lovely eyesight.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just a personal gripe, but I think 12am or midnight should never be a valid user input for anything important because of the potential for misunderstanding. Use 11:59 PM or 12:01 AM.

23:59 should be the cutoff for sure. Completely remove the 00:00 entry, but I can understand how that sort of issue wouldn't really come across the board unless enough people cried rebellion over the removal of a list item (assuming it doesn't just directly read the clock).

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

So the whiny creep anchor that headed up the lightbulb debacle is back.

Now his target is the brand new HD prompter monitors we installed. Apparently, he can't see punctuations and is demanding that we replace the monitors as soon as possible.

I'm noticing a trend that every complaint this guy has is based on his lovely eyesight.

Refer to "zennioptical.com", close ticket.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Malek posted:

Ticket reopened: I have 20/20 vision and haven't been to an optometrist in 30 years

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Malek posted:

"Why fix something that's not broken? Do you know who I am? The problem is clearly the monitor itself, even though I'm the only one that has mentioned this and everyone else loves the new monitors."

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

larchesdanrew posted:

"Why fix something that's not broken? Do you know who I am? The problem is clearly the monitor itself, even though I'm the only one that has mentioned this and everyone else loves the new monitors."

"I don't give a gently caress who you are. No issues with monitors." Ticket closed.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

A ticket came in:

I'm not quite done closing the ticket yet, because there's still a few other things I need to do, but who here wants to guess what happened? :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

Canvass the users, get a poll of who likes the new monitors, and when asked why say "Yeah, this dude hates them and wants them all replaced"

Let the users cannibalize their own :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread