Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Let's all meet up back here in a few years and discuss what kinds of $500+ deferred maintenance items we're replacing on our Vantages.

Right now there is a sub-30k maserati quattroporte on Toronto autotrader. Man, that's all kinds of terrible decisions. It'd be like dating a washed up model with an expensive coke habit with a temper and a penchant for smashing poo poo.
It does make you wonder if you could get away with just driving it until it breaks completely and then parting it out to get some of your money back... this is the point where the model analogy starts to break down a bit...

E- although, thinking about it, the kind of person who would buy that car, at that price? The analogy probably holds up pretty well.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I looked into it a year ago and there were 3 used late-model AMs in good shape I could easily afford if I switched to an all-ramen diet, abandoned my apprenticeship and stopped saving money to get a place outside direct proximity to 3 competing meth/crack dealers.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Linedance posted:

Right now there is a sub-30k maserati quattroporte on Toronto autotrader. Man, that's all kinds of terrible decisions. It'd be like dating a washed up model with an expensive coke habit with a temper and a penchant for smashing poo poo.
It does make you wonder if you could get away with just driving it until it breaks completely and then parting it out to get some of your money back... this is the point where the model analogy starts to break down a bit...

It Is A Human Analogy.
Funny that.

But the scant few yearsmonthsweeksdays hours will be so worth it.

What year is it?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 23, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Bape Culture posted:

The employed?

Those employed with non-archaic labor laws, perhaps.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Bape Culture posted:

The employed?

:frogout:

That's the cost of a smallish home, no way am I squandering money on a British junkpile.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It Is A Human Analogy.
Funny that.

But the scant few [timg]yearsmonthsweeksdays[/timg] hours will be so worth it.

What year is it?

http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_24639022?prx=250&orup=1_10_34

Oh wait, there's two..

http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_25358555

Personally, I'd have the blue one, even though it's higher mileage. Means it's been well looked after, right? Right? You could probably get arrested for possession if they ran a damp cloth over the seat.

Like, I'd never spend my hard earned money on it, but if someone said "here's 25 grand, go buy a car - and only a car - none of this sensible investing bullshit", you're goddamned right I'd pick that one.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 23, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Never liked those Maseratis, they look like the designer shaped the body and then died without putting headlights on it and someone high up raided the spare parts bin for a set. They just don't 'fit' the front end.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

have at it

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I've been looking at used car listings and man, the things that are just beyond my grasp. Citron DS 23 Pallas for <10k? several Alpine A610s in the 10k-30k range? Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 for <5k? just drink my blood, why don't you. And I could totally afford a Honda City Turbo II if someone, anyone imported them

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

EightBit posted:

:frogout:

That's the cost of a smallish home, no way am I squandering money on a British junkpile.

That right there is part of the problem - where I live, in the bay area, a smallish home is more than a jumbo mortgage. So unless I have 70-80k cash floating around, I can't even *buy* that POS house with no garage and a termite problem. But I can totally rent a place and pay for a sweet ride, and when you're making $150K/yr as a fresh-out-of-college grad, what's more appealing?

That's a big part of the reason, that and people who work in the industry in general with a solid chunk of experience are *very* well paid.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

fyodor posted:

have at it

*price is AS-IS and does not include the $55k you will dump into the thing before years-end.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

*price is AS-IS and does not include the $55k you will dump into the thing before years-end.

Pretty much true of anything more exotic than a Honda Civic.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Falken posted:

Tell me/show me more about this tube frame 924/44.

e: Wait, with the shape of the rear windows... 968?

I think it's a 968. I don't know who's building it, have just seen a few pictures on the wtac facebook.

They have done some pretty impressive chassis work, basically removed everything you can within the rules

Like, you have to keep the b-pillars and floor pan.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

hackbunny posted:

I've been looking at used car listings and man, the things that are just beyond my grasp. Citron DS 23 Pallas for <10k? several Alpine A610s in the 10k-30k range? Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 for <5k? just drink my blood, why don't you. And I could totally afford a Honda City Turbo II if someone, anyone imported them
http://www.japaneseclassicsllc.com/honda-city-turbo-ii.html

jamal posted:

I think it's a 968. I don't know who's building it, have just seen a few pictures on the wtac facebook.

They have done some pretty impressive chassis work, basically removed everything you can within the rules

Like, you have to keep the b-pillars and floor pan.
Love it. B-pillars and floor are original, everything is hand fabricated to go as fast as possible.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Das Volk posted:

That right there is part of the problem - where I live, in the bay area, a smallish home is more than a jumbo mortgage. So unless I have 70-80k cash floating around, I can't even *buy* that POS house with no garage and a termite problem. But I can totally rent a place and pay for a sweet ride, and when you're making $150K/yr as a fresh-out-of-college grad, what's more appealing?

That's a big part of the reason, that and people who work in the industry in general with a solid chunk of experience are *very* well paid.
Yup, this right here. My wife and I have been trying to buy for two years and every one of our 10+ offers on the 2-bed/2 bath half million dollar homes in the area has been passed over in favor of an investor's all-cash offer.

I'm not exaggerating in the slightest, either - last month we looked at a home with a gaping hole where the kitchen used to be, a half-disassembled deck and every thing else about it was 1950s original. Sold, all cash, for $515k.

After a few years of dealing with that kind of real estate market, having something stylish street parked in front of the place we're renting would take a bit of the sting out.

Sorry for the BFC derail. AM still makes the best looking cars and I frankly don't care if they fall apart a bit.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Yeah, I know about them, they already sold two black Bulldogs on e-bay. But they're an ocean away from me :smith:

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 23, 2015

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015

Powershift posted:

It also leads to really terrible ebay taillights ending up on XJ220s.

JDM euro tails, bro.

Growing up in the 90s I thought those Jags were like the strangest looking cars. I can't imagine what it looks like irl and probably will never see one...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The strip of carbon fiber is there to cover the nissan badging on the lens.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

God that is so lazy. I wonder what car they stole the turn signal from. Has to be the only reason they couldn't line up the inside edges of the lights.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

fyodor posted:

Pretty much true of anything more exotic than a Honda Civic.

That's not even remotely true. Exotics have come a long way since the 90s.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BoostCreep posted:

God that is so lazy. I wonder what car they stole the turn signal from. Has to be the only reason they couldn't line up the inside edges of the lights.

Designing your own federalized lights is really expensive.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nm posted:

It's true. Not only that it takes a lot of time and you are not allowed to use accelerated methods in weather testing the lenses. Has to be at real-life timescale, so you better have 3 years to wait for results... on each redesign you do. USC 49 CFR 571.108 S5.1.2(g) is a bitch that way.

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 23, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

It's true. Not only that it takes a lot of time and you are not allowed to use accelerated methods in weather testing the lenses. Has to be at real-life timescale, so you better have 3 years to wait for results... on each redesign you do. USC 49 CFR 571.108 S5.1.2(g) is a bitch that way.

Which is why it's so fun to play "What's that headlight?" on big pusher RVs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The guided tour tram+trailer at the Chicago botanical gardens has Ford logos on the trailer tail lights. I was quite amused by that.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

nm posted:

Also see: Noble taillights are just upside down Hyundai Sonata taillights. Who cares. The diablo/300zx lights look awesome.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

you know you spend too much time around RV's when you can tell the engine by the headlights

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Das Volk posted:

All the articles I see about how $130k trying to live in the bay area being so hard make me seriously want to put a loving brick to the face of the people who just flat out ignore the ones trying to do the same loving thing on $30k a year, and without ALL those people the tech industry is loving worthless

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Newer UPS trucks have Oldsmobile Alero headlights, it always throws me for a loop because they don't really work with the rest of the truck at all.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Robot posted:

Newer UPS trucks have Oldsmobile Alero headlights, it always throws me for a loop because they don't really work with the rest of the truck at all.

"Well, we officially closed Oldsmobile. Now what the hell are we going to do with all these brand new headlights?"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Howmet TX used Cortina taillights:

It also was powered by a motherfucking Continental TS325-1 turbine.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I think it was the GT40 that used Corvair taillights. They were the lightest factory lenses they could find.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BoostCreep posted:

"Well, we officially closed Oldsmobile. Now what the hell are we going to do with all these brand new headlights?"

"Yeah, it's not like the cars we sold will last long enough to NEED new headlights, right?"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Are (parent companies of) dead brands still required to maintain parts support for 15 years or whatever it is?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Enourmo posted:

Are (parent companies of) dead brands still required to maintain parts support for 15 years or whatever it is?

Maybe ask GM about Saturn or Oldsmobile?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

The Locator posted:

Maybe ask GM about Saturn or Oldsmobile?

You can buy parts for 90s Saturns at Chevy dealers and they don't even look at you funny.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

This is loving awesome.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Enourmo posted:

I don't know I'm having a hell of a time finding a replacement headlight for a 2009 Saab 97x. I found a refurbished one for $550.... Supply/demand me right up the rear end.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
You guys are forgetting the best one.

Mclaren used tail lights off a bus for the F1.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

"If you wanted pretty you should look at the front... oh whoops too slow :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Pagani Zonda, Spyker and Lambo Diablo and Saleen S7 all used the same tail lights as the F1 and the bus.