Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

theDOWmustflow posted:

Green tops like this?

If it looks like the above, yeah that's fine. Peel and dice as per usual. Or do you mean the leafy part?

Also hey, Maangchi made the New York Times! http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/03/dining/maangchi-youtube-korean-julia-child.html

I meant the leafy green parts. I ended up leaving them out because I didn't know what it would do to the texture. I'm guessing mine were either not daikon or fairly young since they weren't too big and didn't have that daikon funk. Either way it's bubbling along happily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The leaves are edible, but I'd use them in a leaf kimchi or something.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Stir fry them, too. Radish greens take really nicely to a quick hot cook.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I lived in korea for a few years and most of the food i enjoyed there ive been able to make or get at a restaurant. Except hot chicken pizza. Just the cheap hot chicken at places like pizza school or pizza bingo. Ive tried a few times but couldnt get the marinade/sauce for the chicken quite right.

I also find myself craving the korean burgers like the paprika bacon beef at lotteria or that burger at mcdonalds that looks like the big mac but has sweet chile sauce, bacon, and tomato.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
https://youtu.be/kMi7Jkay0fY

Can anybody tell me what this protest was about because these bad arse mother fuckers are using improvised flamethrowers against police and that is really cool.

E: I am dumb, forgot that this was a GWS thread. You should watch this video though

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So, I'm going on my first trip to the states, Atlanta specifically, and the Atlanta thread said y'all could hook me up with some sweet Korean restaurants in the city. That so? :)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Dear Korean food thread,

What did I just buy? There's literally no English/roman characters on this bag except the words "pancake mix" and the instructions. What's it called so I can google it and figure out what else goes in it?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Sex Hobbit posted:

Dear Korean food thread,

What did I just buy? There's literally no English/roman characters on this bag except the words "pancake mix" and the instructions. What's it called so I can google it and figure out what else goes in it?

Searching for "korean pancake mix" gave me a ton of stuff, and this seems like a good start https://hmmfood.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/buchu-jeon-%EB%B6%80%EC%B6%94%EC%A0%84/.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Fooley posted:

Searching for "korean pancake mix" gave me a ton of stuff, and this seems like a good start https://hmmfood.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/buchu-jeon-%EB%B6%80%EC%B6%94%EC%A0%84/.

That's the stuff! I'll be boosting this thread with pictures soon :chef:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I have pancaked!

They probably could have used maybe a minute longer on each side and I probably shouldn't have covered them (they weren't as crispy as I would have liked), but overall still a success.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Hello Korean Thread. I have a somewhat interesting problem and I was wondering if someone here would be able to help me out. The commercial building I just started leasing was previously owned by a Korean family that fled the country this spring due to Immigration issues and tax evasion. Apparently you can't import and distribute vinyl awnings for campers tax free, who knew? They left behind all kinds of stuff, including kids clothes, cases of expired Chapaghetti, a 50 pound bag of Korean short grain rice that was unfortunately full of moth larvae, 5KG of anchovy powder (could this still be good? 5KG would retail for like $50 here, and the bag is still sealed), and like five pounds of moldy Doenjang. They also left this:

It's a 220V Samsung Pressure Rice Cooker that was definitely intended for the South Korean market. I'm guessing that they must not have realized before coming over that the US doesn't use 220V Mains power for small appliances, so it was thrown in a closet and promptly forgotten. In fact, the empty box for a 120v Zojirushi rice cooker was sitting right next to it.

It looks like a nice unit, and the rice cooking bowl is really heavy cast steel. I already rewired it for a 30 AMP US 220V dryer plug, since my laundry room is right by my kitchen, and I was able to power it up, but it would really be helpful if I actually knew what the buttons on the front did. Could someone here possibly translate the control panel? Has anyone here used a Korean pressure rice cooker before, and are there any tips on getting the best results out of one? I tried looking for a korean language manual on Samsung Korea's support website, but the model number came up with nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here's a high res shot of the controls:

(Please excuse my lovely phone photography)

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 23, 2015

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

MullardEL34 posted:

Hello Korean Thread. I have a somewhat interesting problem and I was wondering if someone here would be able to help me out. The commercial building I just started leasing was previously owned by a Korean family that fled the country this spring due to Immigration issues and tax evasion. Apparently you can't import and distribute vinyl awnings for campers tax free, who knew? They left behind all kinds of stuff, including kids clothes, cases of expired Chapaghetti, a 50 pound bag of Korean short grain rice that was unfortunately full of moth larvae, 5KG of anchovy powder (could this still be good? 5KG would retail for like $50 here, and the bag is still sealed), and like five pounds of moldy Doenjang. They also left this:

It's a 220V Samsung Pressure Rice Cooker that was definitely intended for the South Korean market. I'm guessing that they must not have realized before coming over that the US doesn't use 220V Mains power for small appliances, so it was thrown in a closet and promptly forgotten. In fact, the empty box for a 120v Zojirushi rice cooker was sitting right next to it.

It looks like a nice unit, and the rice cooking bowl is really heavy cast steel. I already rewired it for a 30 AMP US 220V dryer plug, since my laundry room is right by my kitchen, and I was able to power it up, but it would really be helpful if I actually knew what the buttons on the front did. Could someone here possibly translate the control panel? Has anyone here used a Korean pressure rice cooker before, and are there any tips on getting the best results out of one? I tried looking for a korean language manual on Samsung Korea's support website, but the model number came up with nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here's a high res shot of the controls:

(Please excuse my lovely phone photography)

I'll give it a shot. From top left, counterclockwise:

keep warm/cancel
reheat
schedule(ie. cook at a later time)
menu
I. pressure cook/ II.quick cook

the small light top left of the last button says "pressure" (ie. chamber is pressurized)

For the lights in the middle the top line is the "menu" fuction and the thing above 8 says mixes grains, thing above 10 says brown rice. I can't make out the other 3.

Bottom row is for the "schedule" function and numbers stand for hours (my guess is e.g. 4 is for "start 4 hours later").

I can't give you any advice on how to use it well though, I can hardly get mine to work so I'll leave it to somebody else.

edit: it says "white rice" on 4, "gamasot" which is the old style pot used to cook rice over 6, and "steam" on top of the 12

nervana fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 23, 2015

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
How do you spoon Gochujang out of the container without some always sticking to the spoon? Even if I use that spoon to stir a sauce, some still stays on.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like making Korean tacos they are like regular tacos but you use bulgogli and kimchi with it, I still like to add some lime and cilantro to give it that extra "latin" kick

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Comb Your Beard posted:

How do you spoon Gochujang out of the container without some always sticking to the spoon? Even if I use that spoon to stir a sauce, some still stays on.

you lick it off

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Is it really traditional to serve it with what looks like 2 cloves of raw garlic for a relatively small amount of meat? I love garlic but drat. Or is it pickled or something?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Is it really traditional to serve it with what looks like 2 cloves of raw garlic for a relatively small amount of meat? I love garlic but drat. Or is it pickled or something?

It's raw, but the the garlic in Korea is almost all of a varietal called Korean Red, which has little if any heat, and is generally sweeter.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

MullardEL34 posted:

It looks like a nice unit, and the rice cooking bowl is really heavy cast steel.
Does it even work?
220v in asia and australia is single phase with neutral. Lots of electronics ground to neutral which wouldn't be there with 2 phase american 220v, so it may not even work. You need one 'hot' wire for our 220V, and one neutral

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm making Maangchi's makgeolli. Got approximately 6 days left until the hooch is done. Pretty excited about this!

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Fo3 posted:

Does it even work?
220v in asia and australia is single phase with neutral. Lots of electronics ground to neutral which wouldn't be there with 2 phase american 220v, so it may not even work. You need one 'hot' wire for our 220V, and one neutral

please explain Fo3

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

RedTonic posted:

I'm making Maangchi's makgeolli. Got approximately 6 days left until the hooch is done. Pretty excited about this!

Interested in how her recipe turns out. Studying and teaching at one of the academies and its potentially very complex. Beer was a heck of a lot less effort.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Is good! Is good yummy yummy garlic. Is healthy! Make you health. Yum yum yum~

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Fo3 posted:

Does it even work?

I forgot to mention that I happened to have a big old 220V isolation transformer lying around that has a center tapped primary. Took care of the split phase problem. I added a separate ground wire.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DontAskKant posted:

Interested in how her recipe turns out. Studying and teaching at one of the academies and its potentially very complex. Beer was a heck of a lot less effort.

Me too. I wonder why the rice is cooked, then dried, then rehydrated again. It can't be malting or anything, can it?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Me too. I wonder why the rice is cooked, then dried, then rehydrated again. It can't be malting or anything, can it?

Nah. Nuruk had the enzymes to malt and the yeast and bacteria to convert to alcohol all at the same time. You are constantly converting and "malting".

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So why does maangchi cook, dry, and then rehydrate?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So why does maangchi cook, dry, and then rehydrate?

I imagine the partial drying step is just to encourage osmotic pressure later, when you add the water, yeast, and nuruk/amylase. The drying step isn't a complete dry, just partially.

Another goon's doing a batch and we've been comparing notes; I partially dried the rice, he didn't. My rice made the "cake" layer, his didn't. We didn't start on the same day, but it would be interesting to see approximately how long it took for his rice grains to break down by comparison.

Totally non-scientific anecdata here, though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Both of you post results in this thread, please.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gonna make some kimchi this weekend. Friend and I want to have both napa and daikon.

Flipped through the whole thread looking for a "babby's first kimchi" recipe, but there doesn't seem to be one, at least for napa.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kkakdugi

Now here are my questions:

First, is kimchi basically one of these "gently caress it, I'll add whatever amount" kinds of things? Like, if I bought the ingredients for that kkakdugi recipe and basically dumped the same spices onto the (salted) napa, would I get some decent kimchi? Or should I find an actual recipe and follow it if neither of us have made kimchi before?

Next, we don't have great containers. I'm thinking about buying a pack of ziplock disposables or even using big freezer bags. Is there any reason to be cautious? Any suggestions for other methods?

Third, for the cabbage can I basically chop the cabbage up tonight, dry salt it, rinse it off, and then take it to my friend's place tomorrow for kimchification?

The OP ingredient list is awesome, by the way.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

CommonShore posted:

Gonna make some kimchi this weekend. Friend and I want to have both napa and daikon.

Flipped through the whole thread looking for a "babby's first kimchi" recipe, but there doesn't seem to be one, at least for napa.
Kimchi with napa cabbage http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tongbaechu-kimchi

quote:

Next, we don't have great containers. I'm thinking about buying a pack of ziplock disposables or even using big freezer bags. Is there any reason to be cautious? Any suggestions for other methods?

I use a 1QT mason jar.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ladyweapon posted:

Kimchi with napa cabbage http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tongbaechu-kimchi

I use a 1QT mason jar.

riiiiight on :kimchi:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Definitely don't use bags, they will burst from the power of kimchi fermentation farts and leave a gory spatter of fetid pickle juice for you to clean up. Mason jars are good. Tupperwares will work if you don't mind staining from the gochugaru.

I just made some tongbaechu this past weekend. One thing to remember? Leave a good amount of space behind in your fermentation vessel of choice. Don't fill it to the top or you will learn the meaning of regret.

Oh!

My makgeolli turned out great. I haven't uploaded photos from my camera yet. We didn't take pictures of every stage because Maangchi's video handled that perfectly well.

The fermentation went without a hitch. No infection or failure. I have to say, if you feel like a starter project for brewing, her makgeolli recipe is the way to go. I used real sugar for the sweetening stage; I actually ended up using more than Maangchi suggested (a scant half cup rather than a quarter cup). I don't really have a sweet tooth, so I was surprised. Maybe mine simply ended up a bit more sour/alcoholic. Of course, this led to additional fermentation after bottling, so my makgeolli was lightly carbonated. I avoided bottle bombing, though. The flavor improved on day 2 after the sugar addition. Overall, it was a really pleasant drink and couldn't be easier to make.

The other goon doing it backsweetened (is that the term?) with Splenda, so he wound up with little/no carbonation. His was also successful and evidently a real hit at a party he took it to!

I'm doing a second batch now. This one deviates from Maangchi's recipe; I added a sweet potato based on a tangent in The Art of Fermentation and I also had to make up some grain volume with the addition of ~1/8th cup barley when I unexpectedly fell short on rice. We'll see how this goes. Probably will be ready Monday.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
If you have a supermarket near you with a bakery, see if they can save you some frosting buckets. They're huge, food grade, and free.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I roughly follow this when I make kimchi: http://smithratliff.com/2013/04/29/how-to-make-kimchi-kimchee-recipe/

I leave out the sugar, and typically I use a whole lot more gochugaru because I like it spicy. As-is this will come out pretty mild. I just made a batch and it tastes very pickled if that makes sense, I left it out on the counter a whole week before I fridged it.

For the container you want something as airtight as possible or your entire fridge will stink.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

After ages of only having bibimbap at restaurants, I've finally picked up the ingredient goodies to have bibimbap anytime I want!! I'm so pleased. Not pictured: bibimbap sauce

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Not in a dolsot, you hosed up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kimchi success.

We took 4 cabbages and split the spoils. My friend wanted to make daikon kimchi, so we did some of that too. She kept her daikon kimchi separate, hence the smaller plastic container. Mine I just layered on top of my napa because gently caress having multiple containers.

So yeah. We winged based on 3 recipes and what we were able to get our hands on this afternoon. When we do it next time, we'll take the time to gather all of the non perishibles first:

4 napa
1 daikon
1 cup fish sauce
Carrots, ginger, garlic, scallions.
1/4 cup brown sugar.
2 cups of chilli flakes.
Some rice starch

We couldn't find any of the shrimp. We almost weren't able to find the chilli flakes, in which case we were going to try it with that korean chili paste.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Maybe you use different chili than I do. I normally use 1/4 to 1/2 a cup per gallon and it's plenty spicy.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

Whizbang posted:

Not in a dolsot, you hosed up.

:( stone bowls are expensive!!! I made do, but I do want to find one of those metal bowls you can get bibimbap in at restaurants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

My first kimchi was a vegan one that I modified from a David Lebovitz recipe. Didn't have Korean chilies so I used a mix of cayenne and paprika. It was surprisingly good. Don't let anyone bully you into making it exactly to a certain recipe as the only real kimchi. Hell the kimchi "master" I was talking to adds a bunch of MSG. I've been making it for restaurants and home for 7 years and people have had it in Korea frequently and praise it until they find out it's made by a white guy. Make it the way you want. I'm growing some collard greens and may use some for a small batch. If I get Brussels sprouts cheap here I'll do that too. Still need to get a watermelon for subak kimchi.

Also there's a makgeolli brewing group on Facebook that the brewing school I teach at is affiliated with. Don't like to cross SA and Facebook streams but it's incredibly helpful as the people who run it (I help out) are getting their certifications in Korea for makgeolli making.

• Locked thread