Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Deleter posted:

I just really want a news corp scheme, because the idea of a news corp starting wars and poo poo just to bump ratings sounds right for the setting. Maybe Fox News?

That would be pretty sweet. Maybe convert up one holding a TV camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Drone posted:

If modern America is any indication as the sources of media become homogeneous and more are owned by the same company censorship for whatever reason could be a real thing. Without the media being owned by a sinister government agency the same virtual level of censorship can be achieved, as I'm sure it has in the Warpath universe.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Drone posted:

This sounds pretty awesome. I might use some camera dudes for hubs in the full game.

I wanted to go NBN because of the card with "The World Is Yours* (*terms and conditions apply)" on it which would be perfect to put on the side of one of the dropships, but Fox is close enough!

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think the fox news/murdoch colour scheme would be red white and blue?? You could paint the logo on vehicles put tiny copies of the sun on the bases

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

krushgroove posted:

The GW Death Thread and this one are kind of merging at the moment

A lot of people are seeing this as the closest analog to 40k and as the most likely successful alternative. I think that's quite a tall order for a game that has a very limited model range, but Mantic is incredibly ambitious and is trying to fill as many roles in the community at once as they can. They might overstretch themselves if they're not careful and the pressure of being the next big thing might get to be too much. But we'll see what happens over the coming months and years I guess.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Atlas Hugged posted:

A lot of people are seeing this as the closest analog to 40k and as the most likely successful alternative. I think that's quite a tall order for a game that has a very limited model range, but Mantic is incredibly ambitious and is trying to fill as many roles in the community at once as they can. They might overstretch themselves if they're not careful and the pressure of being the next big thing might get to be too much. But we'll see what happens over the coming months and years I guess.

This pretty well encapsulates how I feel. I really want Mantic to succeed, and in terms of direct 1-to-1 comparison, they are probably offering the closest analog to 40k out there. But they're also a small, still fairly new company (2009, right?), and I'm hoping they aren't biting off more than they can chew. Signs are pointing to "no, they aren't stretched too thin", but they're still in that fragile early state.

Thankfully with regard to their model range, they really only have to make models for two settings: one sci-fi, one fantasy. The models are all compatible with every game in each setting, which I think is pretty great (Warpath plays with Deadzone, KoW plays with Dungeon Saga). Dreadball is kinda on its own there with some sorta brought compatibility with Warpath, but either way it cuts down on the amount of unique stuff they'll have to pump out later. And it sounds like they're going the decent route with making sure that they have 4 core armies fleshed out with a decent model range (Enforcers, Forge Fathers, Veer-myn, Plague) before trying to expand too far too fast.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I'm pretty confident Mantic knows what they can handle. Meanwhile, damnit I need more Enforcers and Dorfs and and and. Really tempted by that upcoming plague battlegroup, too, though I may just get the hard plastic troops and get the other stuff later, because budget.

Enforcers and Forge Fathers are such nice minis. I'm really enjoying painting them. I feel like they have pretty much just the right amount of detail for their scale! On that note, I'm doing at least my first round of enforcers in white/black, similar to Mantic's colorscheme, then with purple unit marking things. Haven't decided what I'm doing for the eyes on their helmets yet--thinking either bright red or bright blue. Thoughts?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I just found out my FIGS has just stocked the new AK Interactive True Metal Metallic Purple so hello Asterian Deadzone strike team

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Drone posted:

in terms of direct 1-to-1 comparison, they are probably offering the closest analog to 40k out there

I know this is the Mantic thread, but Rick Priestley's Beyond the Gates of Antares is available for pre-order a week from today, I'm probably going to get that or at least look through the beta rules and proxy everything I've got for it. Not sure if there's a thread for it here on SA but it uses Bolt Action command dice for better for for worse (haven't tried that game yet either) and ought to be pretty good, it's had public playtesting for quite some time.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I just found out my FIGS has just stocked the new AK Interactive True Metal Metallic Purple so hello Asterian Deadzone strike team

Nice! Purple owns! Always be painting purple.

Hmm. I should totally do some Enforcers in a Third Street Saints colorscheme. It's even vaguely lore appropriate, considering the SR3 Saints!

Anyone know where I can get some fleur-de-lis decals?

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 24, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Trying to decide on whether to do my asterians in metallic or matte. I'm thinking light blue for either. Enforcers are already metallic (gold and red) so I'm leaning toward matte

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Esser-Z posted:

Nice! Purple owns! Always be painting purple.

Hmm. I should totally do some Enforcers in a Third Street Saints colorscheme. It's even vaguely lore appropriate, considering the SR3 Saints!

http://www.littlebigmenstudios.co.uk/catalog/ This guy does good stuff and you will almost certainly find some on his site.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

http://www.littlebigmenstudios.co.uk/catalog/ This guy does good stuff and you will almost certainly find some on his site.

Thanks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Esser-Z posted:

http://www.thorminiatures.com/gold-ornament-1-transfers-decals-sheet/13/ ?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

That's exactly what I was looking for! Even got the color I wanted (that being gold, like you linked)!

I'll paint at least a DZ team worth of Third Street Saint Enforcers, though I'm not entirely sure exactly how many. Definitely still also doing the white/black colorscheme on others.

I think I need a second Captain, so I can do one in the black/white and one in purple. Do one of those bigger decals on the Saints one's cape...

In fact, my Saints Enforcers are going to straight up BE the Saints. They don't work for the Council of Seven, they work for THE BOSS. How she got her forces Enforcer gear... Well. It's The Leader of the Saints.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 24, 2015

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
The two-player starter set for Warpath is Corporation and Forge Fathers, right? I pledged for a dollar so I'm good regardless, but thinking that would make for a good "split the pledge" between my brother and myself.

In terms of paint schemes I'll keep it simple: the Corp guys will be painted like Ultramarines Sigmarines. The Forge Fathers will be painted like Grey Knights. :v:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Enforcers, which are coporate but not Corporation, which is more Imperial Guard like. Enforcers are the elite power armored supersoldier types.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Esser-Z posted:

Enforcers, which are coporate but not Corporation, which is more Imperial Guard like. Enforcers are the elite power armored supersoldier types.

Ah, gotcha. Still down for that, here. :)

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The only forge father things I've painted so far are an urban pattern iron ancestor and a biker

E: scheme is orange/light grey

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I bet Iron Warriors colors would look really good on Forge Fathers

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

As I posted awhile back , my Forge Fathers are black/red/gold. Looks real nice; I just need to FINISH them :v

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So is this KS progressing to expectations? It looks like it will exceed the KoW2 one, but I'm wondering where Mantic has things plotted out. It feel like it could do 500k to 800k, but I'm not too sure how KSes work.

I've been doing my Retribution of Scyrah in Defensor (the combiner transformer) colors, I wonder if I can do Asterians vs Enforcers as another pair of combiners. Assuming we get to the Asterians, but I assume they plotted this out for a reasonable amount of money.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

So is this KS progressing to expectations? It looks like it will exceed the KoW2 one, but I'm wondering where Mantic has things plotted out. It feel like it could do 500k to 800k, but I'm not too sure how KSes work.

I've been doing my Retribution of Scyrah in Defensor (the combiner transformer) colors, I wonder if I can do Asterians vs Enforcers as another pair of combiners. Assuming we get to the Asterians, but I assume they plotted this out for a reasonable amount of money.

Paint them as Hooligan. Becuase how can you not?! Or even less seriously, Action Master Thundercracker.

Basically everything looks great in Skywarp or RiD Galvatron/Devil Gigatron colors, though! Or Energon Tidal Wave...

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Spiderdrake posted:

Typically Kickstarters, especially ones like this with a built in audience, do really well at the beginning, when everybody get's the "New Kickstarter launched!" email and throws down cash, then it slows way down and only gets a little more money each day, as they slowly unlock stretch goals. Then, in the last 48 hours it shoots up super fast, as fence-sitters pledge cash and stretch goals get unlocked super fast and people throw in more money to cover add-ons.

One of their most recent, and I would consider most comparable Kickstarters, Kings of War 2nd edition, made 366 thousand dollars. But for the first three days, Warpath has made more money every day than KoW2 did. Warpath made 50 thousand more on it's first day than KoW2. So yeah, over 400,000 I would consider basically guaranteed, 500,000 not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

boom boom boom posted:

Typically Kickstarters, especially ones like this with a built in audience, do really well at the beginning, when everybody get's the "New Kickstarter launched!" email and throws down cash, then it slows way down and only gets a little more money each day, as they slowly unlock stretch goals. Then, in the last 48 hours it shoots up super fast, as fence-sitters pledge cash and stretch goals get unlocked super fast and people throw in more money to cover add-ons.

One of their most recent, and I would consider most comparable Kickstarters, Kings of War 2nd edition, made 366 thousand dollars. But for the first three days, Warpath has made more money every day than KoW2 did. Warpath made 50 thousand more on it's first day than KoW2. So yeah, over 400,000 I would consider basically guaranteed, 500,000 not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Which if true, would make Warpath Mantic's biggest Kickstarter campaign to date, right?

The more they talk about Plague, the more I wish they were in the starter set instead of Forge Fathers. I like FF and all but those Plague just look so neat (though I'm not a huge fan of the Stage 1)

Also they're apparently getting Beasts of War to do a batrep of the newest alpha rules next week for the Kickstarter.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Drone posted:

Which if true, would make Warpath Mantic's biggest Kickstarter campaign to date, right?

The more they talk about Plague, the more I wish they were in the starter set instead of Forge Fathers. I like FF and all but those Plague just look so neat (though I'm not a huge fan of the Stage 1)

Problem is, the Deadzone starter is Enforcer's vs Plague. So they don't want to do both of them the same, but their "Space Marines" faction needs to be the starter.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Drone posted:

Deadzone @ 4,306 backers pledged $1,216,482 and Dungeon Saga @ 5,963 backers pledged $1,057,975 are Mantic's two biggest projects by both money and number of backers, and Warpath isn't going to reach that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

NTRabbit posted:

Deadzone @ 4,306 backers pledged $1,216,482 and Dungeon Saga @ 5,963 backers pledged $1,057,975 are Mantic's two biggest projects by both money and number of backers, and Warpath isn't going to reach that.

:drat: I had no idea DZ and DS were that huge.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They also got significant amounts more during the pledge managers. Deadzone was a surprise smash hit on KS - Mantic's third project - that accelerated at the end as it climbed charts and fueled even more new to Mantic backers, like Reaper Bones unlocking more stretch goals than, in the end, they knew quite what to do with. Dungeon Saga brought in reams of tabletop game backers who aren't interested in wargames like Warpath or even KoW, but definitely wanted a chunky new dungeon crawler.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 25, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

NTRabbit posted:

They also got significant amounts more during the pledge managers. Deadzone was a surprise smash hit on KS - Mantic's third project - that accelerated at the end as it climbed charts and fueled even more new to Mantic backers, like Reaper Bones unlocking more stretch goals than, in the end, they knew quite what to do with. Dungeon Saga brought in reams of tabletop game backers who aren't interested in wargames like Warpath or even KoW, but definitely wanted a chunky new dungeon crawler.

I would have thought a not-insignificant chunk of Deadzone's success was for the badass terrain, too.

The whole idea of the pledge manager seems to kinda run counter to the stretch goal concept to me. What's to stop everyone from pledging $1 now and not updating their total until well after the kickstarter actually ends?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Drone posted:

I would have thought a not-insignificant chunk of Deadzone's success was for the badass terrain, too.

The whole idea of the pledge manager seems to kinda run counter to the stretch goal concept to me. What's to stop everyone from pledging $1 now and not updating their total until well after the kickstarter actually ends?

Nothing, which is why Mantic continues to unlock stretch goals with pledge manager money - the Deadzone PM was open 3 times, and it unlocked an extra 4 or 5 stretch goals just in the first opening.

It's a tight rope to walk for a backer though, because if everyone pledges just $1, then the project doesn't get funded; if most pledge $1 and it still reaches funding, you don't unlock any stretch goals or shoot up the metrics charts or appear on the KS front page, which detracts from potential casuals and new backers who like to back winners that you could be getting.

In reverse, KS takes a cut of all the backer money during the project, but they don't get a cut of anything added in a pledge manager, so PM dollars give more money than project ones.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

NTRabbit posted:

I think they might go into some detail about the Seven megacorps eventually, but aside from a few being reference points in other fluff ie the corp that first got stomped by the Orks, and the ones that sponsor Dreadball, they've deliberately left it blank so that you can invent any corporation with any colour scheme you want. There's no 18 legions with set colours, it's ever other founding since with no "parent" legion from which you borrow the paint and organisation.

I prefer to have the setting created for me rather than making my own stuff. The founding legions are more interesting for me to play because they fit into the setting that has already been written and I feel like I'm part of a greater story.
Even if I'm creating some of that story myself.

I guess it's like a mediocre author writing a story in the Forgotten Realms rather than that same author making their own thing. They're both still mediocre but the depth of what has come before lends gravitas to it and makes it more fun by extention.

So my rubbish story is improved by being part of whatever GW wrote. And right now what Mantic writes doesn't have enough depth to it for that to happen.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Taear posted:

I prefer to have the setting created for me rather than making my own stuff. The founding legions are more interesting for me to play because they fit into the setting that has already been written and I feel like I'm part of a greater story.
Even if I'm creating some of that story myself.

I guess it's like a mediocre author writing a story in the Forgotten Realms rather than that same author making their own thing. They're both still mediocre but the depth of what has come before lends gravitas to it and makes it more fun by extention.

So my rubbish story is improved by being part of whatever GW wrote. And right now what Mantic writes doesn't have enough depth to it for that to happen.

That's fine...until GW comes along and completely invalidates whatever narrative you've forged, with some piece of fluff that makes you not like your army quite as much anymore (BA/Necrons fistbump bros, all SM legions being inferior to the Ultramarines, Night Lords being just another bunch of Chaos worshippers, etc.), and eventually saps your desire to even play them. Whereas Mantic's setting has far less potential for that to happen, since you're making up your own bit of a large-scale universe and so can do whatever you want in it, without quite so much worry that a fluff writer with a preference for a specific faction is going to take a dump over the narrative you've lovingly forged for your own army during the time you've owned it.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 25, 2015

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's fine...until GW comes along and completely invalidates whatever narrative you've forged, with some piece of fluff that makes you not like your army quite as much anymore (BA/Necrons fistbump bros, all SM legions being inferior to the Ultramarines, Night Lords being just another bunch of Chaos worshippers, etc.), and eventually saps your desire to even play them. Whereas Mantic's setting has far less potential for that to happen, since you're making up your own bit of a large-scale universe and so can do whatever you want in it, without quite so much worry that a fluff writer with a preference for a specific faction is going to take a dump over the narrative you've lovingly forged for your own army during the time you've owned it.

I would rather have a really detailed world that makes a change and ruins everything than have really sparse fiction where everyone just makes up their own stuff.

When I played Ultima Online in the past I was part of a roleplaying group on the Europa server. But because Ultima didn't have very well put down lore people just did whatever the hell and it suffered for it, full of crazy stuff because there was no real framework.
I like a proper framework, it means everyone is playing the same game when it comes to the lore. The game just "fits" better for me then.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Taear posted:

I like a proper framework, it means everyone is playing the same game when it comes to the lore.

If only that were true.

Let me introduce you to my custom chapter, they're female Grey Knights who worship Nurgle. This is their My Little Pony dreadknight, allied
Deadpool assassin, and something something Dr Who.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The problem is that Mantic goes way too far in the other direction. Unless my homeforged idea relates directly to one of their (relatively few in number and rather specific) factions, it's hard to know where the hell it fits. And this is especially a problem for Mantic because so much of their appeal is "buy our rules to play your GW army with now that GW is pissing in your mouth," and it's like what do you do with Astartes? You can say Enforcers or Forge Fathers, but the problem there is that those are one or two singular lists whereas 40K has eleventy billion different shades of power armor. Using the same list to represent Iron Hands, Grey Knights, Word Bearers, or Space Wolves is something that I suspect will leave a poor taste in the mouth of anyone who's intent on forging a narrative around Their Dudes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JerryLee posted:

"buy our rules to play your GW army with now that GW is pissing in your mouth,"

That's what they were doing with Kings of War, but not so much with Warpath. KoW is easy, everything is Tolkien, but the sci fi stuff for 40k is somewhat more distinct, and people leaving it will have to recognise they can't really carry their old fluff with them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

NTRabbit posted:

That's what they were doing with Kings of War, but not so much with Warpath. KoW is easy, everything is Tolkien, but the sci fi stuff for 40k is somewhat more distinct, and people leaving it will have to recognise they can't really carry their old fluff with them.

It may not be what they intend to do, but I maintain that it's where a large amount of their potential audience would come from. Whether they want to leave that on the table or not is, of course, up to them. :shrug:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JerryLee posted:

It may not be what they intend to do, but I maintain that it's where a large amount of their potential audience would come from. Whether they want to leave that on the table or not is, of course, up to them. :shrug:

Of course it's where the audience is going to come from, but when 40k is such a unique setting, despite the original sources it aped, there's only so much you can bring across while still making your own game original. If someone wants to bring their Space Wolves across as Enforcers, there's nothing stopping them, they can just use the Enforcer list and pick units that match whatever it is the Space Wolves do, and they have their fluffy Enforcer force, the Wolf Zone Patrol Group.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

It honestly just seems like you're angry that it isn't 40k.

e: I mean you're comparing a 40 year old setting with one that didn't really have any detail before dreadball which was, what, 2012?

Phoon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 25, 2015