Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
That mileage sounds right. Every once in a while I can hit 30mpg or higher on a long highway trip, but I usually average around 24-27.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My day to day is all city (or limited freeway). I guess I could do better if I decided not to have fun with my car, but I'm OK paying a fun tax. Just wanted to make sure nothing sounded drastically wrong.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

GEMorris posted:

NC mileage chat: what are you guys getting?

I get 21 in town with my foot in it most of the time. 235 rs3's

I get 24-25mpg driving spiritedly in the mountains.

I got 28-29mpg on my 1400 mile road trip from picking up the car.

Does this all sound normal or should I start looking for something wrong?

I run 93 octane.

GEMorris posted:

My day to day is all city (or limited freeway). I guess I could do better if I decided not to have fun with my car, but I'm OK paying a fun tax. Just wanted to make sure nothing sounded drastically wrong.

Your numbers sound typical. My MSM gets about 25 mpg average, with aggressive driving. It got over 30 mpg on the ride home from Ohio, with lots of drafting behind semi trailers. My NA averaged about 26, and when I took a similarly long-distance trip I also got over 30.

I asked about this same topic a few months ago. Basically, yes, it sounds wrong, but the Miata just isn't a very fuel-efficient vehicle, despite being very light with a small motor. It has to do with things including poor aerodynamics, a not-too-efficient engine, and gearing; my MSM runs at about 3500 rpm at 65 mph in top gear, and that's when the turbo kicks in too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
GEMorris: answer your PMs (so that we can share our Miata broship).

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
It saddens me that Miatas in Boone is the same weekend as autocross.

Got under the car to check the caliper pins. All were properly lubed and slid easily.

While there I could see a lot of my rubbing issues with 235/40's. Having trouble making postable sized photos from my phone, but I've got rubbing through the fender liner in the front and rubbing into the body on the inside in the back. The car is on mazdaspeed lowering springs (which i think are a bit weak and aren't recommended for prht's anyway) but as Phone said, even with higher rate / less lowering springs, I'd still see rubbing at full compression. So I'm guessing my tires are just too big for the car?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Mazdaspeed kit is just Eibachs, iirc. I know that STR guys fit 255s, but that's autotossers.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

GEMorris posted:

It saddens me that Miatas in Boone is the same weekend as autocross.

I live about an hour or so away and never heard about this. It sucks that I'm moving this weekend :(

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hello Miata thread, I am one of you now I guess.

I eagerly anticipate being laughed at for breaking something and posting really dumb questions in this thread.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Great Beer posted:

Hello Miata thread, I am one of you now I guess.

I eagerly anticipate being laughed at for breaking something and posting really dumb questions in this thread.

Nice NB!

What's the condition, and if you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Its in less than stellar condition. Lots of little things to take care of on it. Both windows are stuck in the up position and it smells like cigarettes. A few dead bulbs in the dash and buttons and the cruise control doesnt seem to work. Maybe it wasnt equipped? No idea.

Engine sounds good though. No lifter ticks or odd vibrations and it doesnt give me any problems while crawling to highway speed. Tranny seems fine, all the gears click into place nicely. The clutch seems a bit soft to me but the others I test drove werent much different maybe its just a miata thing. No rust, body is straight and unwrecked, and the tops brand new. The AC even works, which was a nice surprise.

Paid 3.8k for it which was probably too much but i'm saving around 30 bucks a month on insurance and 100+/month on gas so i'm fine with it.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Window switch shouldn't cost much to replace (if that's the issue), otherwise well bought for $3800. Smell isn't too bad I assume?

Is it a 2001?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Chriskory posted:

Window switch shouldn't cost much to replace (if that's the issue), otherwise well bought for $3800. Smell isn't too bad I assume?

Is it a 2001?

Sometimes you can just pop the center console, and use a metal brush on the window switch connections to get rid of corrosion. Its a good first step before tearing apart the doors to see whats going on in there.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Chriskory posted:

Is it a 2001?

Yep, its an 01. The passenger side makes a motor sound when I press the switch but doesnt move. The driver side moves an inch or two and then stops and I have to pull it back up manually. Internet says a cable coming loose and jamming the window is pretty common, so hopefully thats whats stopping it. Passenger side i'm less optimistic about but the dealer is fixing that side for me.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Yep, its an 01. The passenger side makes a motor sound when I press the switch but doesnt move. The driver side moves an inch or two and then stops and I have to pull it back up manually. Internet says a cable coming loose and jamming the window is pretty common, so hopefully thats whats stopping it. Passenger side i'm less optimistic about but the dealer is fixing that side for me.

I haven't opened up my NB, but on my NA IIRC there are a couple of tracks in there that it couldn't hurt to lubricate. If the motors are working then I suppose the problem might just be that the windows are off the tracks, if you're lucky.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Great Beer posted:

and it smells like cigarettes.

Lowes rents ozone generators.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Lowes rents ozone generators.

I'm not actually bothered by the scent and its not noticeable when the tops down. Just an observation.

Speaking of the top, the old glass-back top came with it. The fabric is trashed but the glass is good. Is that of any value to anyone or can I toss it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Toss it, it's no good if the top around it is wasted.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Great Beer posted:

Mine had almost the exact same problem, the upper cable holder snap off of the window regulator. I ended up using a small hose clamp to keep it in place.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

I tried to put the top down in my NA this morning and the back plastic window cracked. Does anyone have any recommendations for top replacements? These are what I've found that I like:

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=73585

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=111747

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I just had a panorama top installed on my NA this spring. So far so good. The cloth looks nicer than the old vinyl top it replaced. The larger window makes it much nicer to drive with the top up, but it is plastic so it doesn't provide a crystal clear view.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Joe Mama posted:

Mine had almost the exact same problem, the upper cable holder snap off of the window regulator. I ended up using a small hose clamp to keep it in place.

I "fixed" the drivers side one today. It slides slightly towards the rear of the car and gets caught on the edge of the door so if I push it towards the front of the car while rolling it down it works fine. Having the top up while I roll it down also seems to hold it in place past whatevers pushing it out of line. Also found what was wrong with my cruise control. The light on the CC switch is dead and I was using the controls wrong. :downs:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've got water dripping down my passenger side pillar during the rain. All the rubbery stuff looks OK and feels springy, is there any drain type thing like there is for the back side of the car that might be clogged up?

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
Cross posting from the hot hatch thread as someone who went to a dealership to get himself a Miata and realized he could be a cool dude and get his lady an EB Stang with end of year Ford incentives and apparently voodoo.

Is the supply on 16 Miatas something I should worry about or should I be able to get one alright in early 2017?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
We're on the 3rd or 4th wave of cars coming over. It was impossible to find a Club initially, but there are unsold/unclaimed cars coming over and you are able to find something that you want with some ease. Finding an automatic is dead easy, though.

It'll only get easier from here and E plan pricing should open up by December.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

powderific posted:

I've got water dripping down my passenger side pillar during the rain. All the rubbery stuff looks OK and feels springy, is there any drain type thing like there is for the back side of the car that might be clogged up?

On the NA and NB there is a drain going down the a pillar seal, it starts at the top in the "ear" of the seal.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Miatas in Boone Dyno Day report:

Without ECU tune:
148hp 132ftlbs

Post tune run is coming up later.

Mustang Dyno

Power mods are full GWR exhaust and RB intake.

Gotta say, if these mods didn't come with the car, I probably wouldn't pay for them.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Double post update:

Watched multiple NCs with similar mods to mine plus ecu tuning put up numbers on the same dyno like 154/136 and similar. The tuner who did their ECUs turned out to be a flake and hadn't shown 5 hours after the event started (about 3 hours since his first "I'm an hour away" message), so I decided to take the money and put it towards a GoPro since my wife has been really wanting one and we can use it for the rest of this weekend.

Maybe some day in the future I'll get tuning but I didn't want to drop $300 on 6hp and 4ft lbs right now.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Miata M-Edition. I've reconsidered and the car is no longer for sale, at least for now.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 30, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Edit: Removed per request.

Out of curiosity, didn't you file an insurance claim when it got hit a few years ago? Did you just take the cash and spend it on something else instead of getting the car fixed in the first place?

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 1, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lol what a turd http://jalopnik.com/2017-fiat-124-spider-this-is-it-1733363750

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, it looks like poo poo, like a no effort body kit for a Miata. Silver A pillars instead of body color is so loving stupid why do they do that?

I expected it to look completely different with a completely different body, but it just looks like a half assed effort using the Miata's existing body work. What a waste when they could have knocked it out of the park.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The silver windshield trim is an add-on that's avails for the ND. I do agree that it's gaudy and awful, though.

This is the dumpster fire on wheels that the "I'm gonna wait for a Fiata" mnet crowd deserves.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah right, crying about no HP, well here's your lovely no effort styling with a Fiat motor you stupid morons.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Edit: removed at request of quoted poster.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 1, 2015

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Holy poo poo that Fiat is ugly as sin. The trunk is especially bad, but its just bad all over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The comments from that link are good though. Somehow I'd gone this long without hearing it referred to as the "Fiata."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've seen mnet posts you people wouldn't believe... NC owners on fire off of the shoulder of Orion. I watched concern trolls glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate... All those posts... Will be deleted by moderators... Like destructo and me asking about cooling cup holders.

Time... To stop reading mnet...

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Rhyno posted:

The comments from that link are good though. Somehow I'd gone this long without hearing it referred to as the "Fiata."

I'm still waiting for Mazda and Maserati to collaborate on something so I can call it the Mazdarati.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hikaki posted:

I'm still waiting for Mazda and Maserati to collaborate on something so I can call it the Mazdarati.

I have a sticker of that on my Miata.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Crossposting the new car thread, pictures of the 124 Spider have leaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone beat you to it about nine posts up dude.