Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lblitzer posted:

90 minutes of SOT is pretty terrible actually.

I think the 90min of SoT was reference to the S4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Android M to begin rollout Oct 5

quote:

According to an updated software release schedule from Canada’s second largest mobile provider, Telus, Android 6.0 Marshmallow will begin rolling out to the Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 on Monday, October 5.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife wants the best non-Samsung phone money can buy when her contract expires and I'm not sure what to suggest for maybe the first time ever. iPhone seems like the frontrunner honestly, but I'll never pull her back if she goes iOS again and I hate being locked into their one line. Android has dropped the ball this fall.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What does "Priv" mean?
https://youtu.be/5pF477abcPE?t=43s

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm in that couple of month time period every other year when I pay attention to new devices. I'm interested in the Moto X Pure & the new Nexus devices. Looking at the side by side specs of the X Pure & 5x, it looks like the Moto is a bit better. Is the Bluetooth on the moto better than their previous track record? I am on a Droid Maxx right now & the Bluetooth connection is fair to dogshit, depending on how many apps are open.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Reverse Centaur posted:

My wife wants the best non-Samsung phone money can buy when her contract expires and I'm not sure what to suggest for maybe the first time ever. iPhone seems like the frontrunner honestly, but I'll never pull her back if she goes iOS again and I hate being locked into their one line. Android has dropped the ball this fall.
How have the Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P "dropped the ball" this fall?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Merkinman posted:

How have the Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P "dropped the ball" this fall?

Nexus 5x has mediocre specs (basically the same as the last 5) and the P is too big for her. I would love it. It is kinda ugly though.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Reverse Centaur posted:

Nexus 5x has mediocre specs

Nexuses have never been flagships except for the 6 and then people bitched about the price. The 5x is exactly what it should be.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thoughts on the Xperia Z5 Compact to replace a Z3 Compact?

Boywunda posted:

So, up in Canada, the Moto X Pure isn't an option, but the Moto X Play is. And it seems a bit scaled down compared to the Pure:
5.5" instead of 5.7"
SD 615 instead of the SD 808
2 GB RAM instead of 3 GB RAM (not as thrilled about this)
3630 mAh battery instead of 3000 mAh (this I like)
No Smartboost speakers, but front facing at least.

I had my eye on the Pure, but since it's not available, would the Play be just as good?

These two posts got missed, I think.

Goons do not approve of the Snapdragon 615 (Moto X Play) or 810 (Xperia Z5) chips because they waste power / dump heat, especially the 810. There are widespread reports of disappointing performance on the X Play, believed to be due to the choice of SD 615 chip. And with the way that chip wastes power, don't expect the battery life you would hope for with that large battery.

Based on what we've heard so far, the Z5 Compact is priced above what most goons consider reasonable. And with a plastic back it doesn't look like it's worth as much as you paid for it.

On the other hand, if you don't want a huge phone, there really isn't much choice other than the Z5 Compact.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Reverse Centaur posted:

Nexus 5x has mediocre specs (basically the same as the last 5) and the P is too big for her. I would love it. It is kinda ugly though.

Get her the iPhone and accept your fate :pranke:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there a way to use a Z5c on Verizon?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

the nicker posted:

Nexuses have never been flagships except for the 6 and then people bitched about the price. The 5x is exactly what it should be.

Not so coincidentally the N6 is the only Nexus I've wanted. Note that I said she wants a high end non-Samsung girl-sized flagship, someone else brought up Nexus.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

90 minutes of SOT is pretty terrible actually.

That's what I was getting with the Galaxy S4. Now I'm probably able to get around 3 or 4 hours of SoT before I hit 20% in a given day.

I worked from home yesterday and had around 3 hours of screen on time and my phone was still at around 30 or 40% when I went to bed at midnight. This was after being unplugged from about 8 AM onwards. My S4 wouldn't even get close to that.

Really am baffled by the folks who said the battery on the MXP sucked.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 24, 2015

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Rastor posted:

Based on what we've heard so far, the Z5 Compact is priced above what most goons consider reasonable. And with a plastic back it doesn't look like it's worth as much as you paid for it.

On the other hand, if you don't want a huge phone, there really isn't much choice other than the Z5 Compact.

It has a frosted glass back, though? I mean, it looks like plastic in photos but according to a review I read today (in Norwegian) it's glass. According to that same review they "solved" the heat issue by making the whole phone a heat sink so the processor wouldn't refuse to open the camera because of overheating.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

My mind keeps changing Priv to Privy for some reason.
Fixed.
That's a dumb name.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

pun pundit posted:

It has a frosted glass back, though? I mean, it looks like plastic in photos but according to a review I read today (in Norwegian) it's glass. According to that same review they "solved" the heat issue by making the whole phone a heat sink so the processor wouldn't refuse to open the camera because of overheating.

My bad, plastic sides, not total plastic surround.

And yeah it has heatpipes to draw heat away from the 810 so that it won't burn your hand or shut down functions, but it's still annoying that the chip has so much tendency to waste electricity as heat.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Reverse Centaur posted:

Not so coincidentally the N6 is the only Nexus I've wanted. Note that I said she wants a high end non-Samsung girl-sized flagship, someone else brought up Nexus.

Z5c is her best option.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to use a Z5c on Verizon?

Switch to another carrier.

(I'm sorry)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

Why are you discounting the correct answer?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Endless Mike posted:

Samsung? She hates her s4.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Reverse Centaur posted:

Samsung? She hates her s4.

I think he's saying iPhone. She'll be locked into that though. You can still do whatever

Edit: Any reason to discount windows phone? It's not terrible and does 90% of everything for 40% of the price.

Tesla Was Robbed fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 24, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
The G4 is a top 2 camera, according to dx0: http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/LG-G4-Mobile-review-A-new-contender-in-the-top-3/LG-G4-vs-competition-Podium-position-for-image-quality

Strangely, the Moto X Style is tied with it and the Note 4 (and the S6 edge+/Note 5 aren't on the list).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Reverse Centaur posted:

My wife wants the best non-Samsung phone money can buy
http://phandroid.com/2015/09/24/vertu-signature-touch-phone/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

Edit: Any reason to discount windows phone? It's not terrible and does 90% of everything for 40% of the price.

I actually really like the looks of the new upcoming Windows 10 phones. I just wish the app situation wasn't so abysmal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wonder when Android apps on Windows Phone is going to be an official thing.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Rastor posted:

Goons do not approve of the Snapdragon 615 (Moto X Play) or 810 (Xperia Z5) chips because they waste power / dump heat, especially the 810. There are widespread reports of disappointing performance on the X Play, believed to be due to the choice of SD 615 chip. And with the way that chip wastes power, don't expect the battery life you would hope for with that large battery.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm so glad I posted here first. I do remember reading about that chipset, so thank you for the reminder. As I currently have a Nexus 5, I guess I'll hope and pray that the Pure gets released up here eventually. I could obviously wait and see about a new Nexus, but I really want to play with the Moto features while still getting a "near stock" experience.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

I think he's saying iPhone. She'll be locked into that though. You can still do whatever

I already mentioned why I'd rather not do iPhone again. It's still the frontrunner.

Windows phone doesn't do anything better than Android and being 40% cheaper doesn't make it a better choice.

P.S. that Vertu actually looks great. Maybe a bit too masculine. First time I've seen one of those phones aimed at the Kanye Wests of the world actually look appealing.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

bull3964 posted:

In order.

Yes, yes, no noticeable impact.

Cool. Thanks! Last I heard was everyone getting jumpy because of the different screen technology before the phone actually came out. I was just curious if any of it ended up being true.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Boywunda posted:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm so glad I posted here first. I do remember reading about that chipset, so thank you for the reminder. As I currently have a Nexus 5, I guess I'll hope and pray that the Pure gets released up here eventually. I could obviously wait and see about a new Nexus, but I really want to play with the Moto features while still getting a "near stock" experience.

Pure is no slouch either
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3553098

808 gives good perf without melting.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Rastor posted:

Think Play is missing ac band too.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

withoutclass posted:

Priv is pretty close to privy, a common name for an outhouse. Maybe they're hinting that it will be poo poo.

I have to admit, with this name change my resolve to buy this phone is waning. It seems like such a dumb "straw that broke the camels back" but it just...it's so so bad.

Starting to look more seriously at the G4 just because it's so much cheaper & the camera is excellent. I've read reports as recent as just a few months ago though saying the touch screen wasn't very responsive? Does anyone have a G4 that can confirm/deny?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450631825"]
The G4 is a top 2 camera, according to dx0: http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/LG-G4-Mobile-review-A-new-contender-in-the-top-3/LG-G4-vs-competition-Podium-position-for-image-quality

Strangely, the Moto X Style is tied with it and the Note 4 (and the S6 edge+/Note 5 aren't on the list).

They never tested the G3 and just recently got around to testing the G4 so who knows how long the Note 5 and Edge+ will take to get up there if they ever do.

That said, very impressive of Motorola to go from one of the worst cameras around to equaling the Note 4, that is a massive improvement.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Reverse Centaur posted:

but I'll never pull her back if she goes iOS again and I hate being locked into their one line

What does this even mean? That she really likes iOS and if she gets an iOS device you know she wont want to use android again or what? Because if its that just get her the loving iphone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In case anyone is interested, this is the extent of the software loadout on a Pure out of the box.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Endless Mike posted:

Reverse Centaur gets weirdly fixated against certain devices for some reason. See also him sperging out whenever someone mentions the Moto 360 in the watch thread.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Reverse Centaur posted:

iPhone seems like the frontrunner honestly, but I'll never pull her back if she goes iOS again and I hate being locked into their one line.

2 lines now. Also if that's the best argument against the iPhone you can come up with you might as well give in now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Whizbang posted:

Reverse Centaur gets weirdly fixated against certain devices for some reason. See also him sperging out whenever someone mentions the Moto 360 in the watch thread.

Is the 1st gen 360 considered bad now? I hope not, cuz I just bought a used one :shobon:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

TollTheHounds posted:

Starting to look more seriously at the G4 just because it's so much cheaper & the camera is excellent. I've read reports as recent as just a few months ago though saying the touch screen wasn't very responsive? Does anyone have a G4 that can confirm/deny?

People told me that I'd regret my purchase of an LG product a couple weeks after buying it. It's been longer than that and they are wrong.

G4 fuckin' rocks. I thought I'd really hate the buttons on the back but after using the phone for all of three days I was already so used to them and my finger was going right where it needed to be. I tried using my wife's S4 (yup, her S3 broke so she just wanted to go up one generation, as long as she's happy I guess) and I was like "WHERE are the BUTTONS" the whole time, pressing under the camera like an idiot. Camera takes some amazing shots, better than the Note 4 I had for a few months before selling it. Size, in my opinion, is just right; bigger than the Moto G, which I thought was a bit too small, but smaller than the Note 4, which I thought was way too big. Seems weird that .2 inches would make a big difference, but I dunno. It feels small to hold but the screen feels big to look at. Screen is beautiful, and the touchscreen seems no less responsive than any other phones I've used; occassionally, it'll take a few tries for Knock On to work, but I think that's more the case of the phone being in a deep sleep and not quite 'watching' closely enough for it to register the first couple times. You can always use the button on the back. Knock Off works every time.

Battery life isn't as great as the Moto G but I guess much more powerful guts plus a bigger screen means that makes sense. It's not really bad at all, just sort of mediocre. I still get around 40ish hours with 3 hours SOT (or 4 hours SOT in 24 hours), which means the phone lasts two days between charges for my use (a lot of browsing, texting, camera, no games). Right now, I'm sitting at 34h off charger with 2h SOT, 53% battery remaining.

I like LG's android skin, and I guess saying so will cause everyone in this thread to call for my crucifixion, but I don't miss AOSP at all. Very fast, no lag. The clock/news/weather app thing rocks. The settings menu is fine if a bit busy, but a lot of the features I used Nova for (icon packs, changing individual icons, hiding apps in the app drawer) are already baked into LG UX, so I don't even use Nova anymore, which I've put on every other phone I've ever had since my Nexus 4. Being able to customize the softkeys on the bottom rocks. Being able to set your own toggles in the notification shade rocks.

Best phone.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 25, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

Almost certainly yes, and it'll be the same method as all other nexi.

Well not quite

Currently the only way to get root on marshmallow is to flash a custom kernel with selinux disabled, and then use one of the standard nexus root methods

Until M is released properly and someone like chainfire figures out a way around it, that will be the same for the new nexus phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450631825"]

The G4's camera app is awful garbage though, so it's a shame there's nice hardware behind it.