Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
lol if you think this game gets enough new players to support koltyr's existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Keeshhound posted:

They can only carry empire specific pistols. "Officer mode."

Not bad, that could be fun. Also only one officer per squad.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

lol if you think this game gets enough new players to support koltyr's existence

Obviously the best time to worry about the new player experience is 2.5 years after release.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

honestly just do this game-wide

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

Maybe if they merged all the servers, and then cloned everyone.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

You are queued as Koltyr Drill Sergeant: 118/121 - 49 minutes.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Newbies shouldn't have to worry about this, it should be a friendly environment.
I understand the sentiment, but don't you realize how that would amount to being a massive bait-and-switch when they get to the full game?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mithaldu posted:

I understand the sentiment, but don't you realize how that would amount to being a massive bait-and-switch when they get to the full game?

"Welcome to the big leagues, death is around every corner. Hope you've prepared for this!"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The REAL Planetside 2 starts here!

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3m4vlp/list_of_all_dev_responses_in_qa/

Quick list of all the responses to yesterday's Q&A session.

edit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3m4vjy/qa_overview_of_dev_answers/

Better summarized bullet point list.

Nookovian-Red fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 24, 2015

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Wow, most of the responses are useless/trolling. I feel like the devs really dogfood their own game.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Anyone try this on the PS4? I played the PC version for a bit a year or so ago but i own two PS4s and being able to play together with my son makes everything more fun.

I am pretty terrible trying to aim with a controller but the mechanics are much the same at the PC version. It's too bad my all access from EQ2 doesn't transfer to the PS4 version because now I am paying like 60 bucks a month is video game subscriptions.

You can still use a keyboard and mouse to play on the PS4 iirc.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

No plans currently to modify the NC & TR Directive Weapons.
Revenant, I want to believe. :smith:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

quote:

‘Victory Point Generator’ as a construction option to tie the Ant/construction into the wider meta of the game. Something worth defending, and destroying.

This could be very interesting. Or really dumb. Or both!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Dear Dark_Swordmaster,

We are saddened to hear that you are experiencing issues with our game. Please follow instructions below.
https://help.daybreakgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37726/p/5833/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ0MjgxOTI2NC9zaWQvMmI2Tkpfd20%3D

Yours faithfully,
Support Iguana.

Edit:

So, I think I found a way on how to get that url. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.libs\Logs (or your equivalent), and check bunch of log files - it may be somewhere in GameLauncher.log, PatcherEvents.log, or PatcherProgress.log. Might be in other log files, but seems somewhat unlikely.

This worked and I have the file but I now have no idea where to put it. Any ideas?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This worked and I have the file but I now have no idea where to put it. Any ideas?
Like in that example I linked, you need tor recreate server folder structure. Say, your Apache or whatever webserver you set up has it's root directory at C:\Apache\www - then you would recreate into www the full structure of folders on their server (as in, the link part after the domain) - i.e. (from the screencap) folders patch -> sha -> planetside2.sha.zs -> 3b -> ae2 -> etcetra (screenshot url ends here, if you need more help just post the full link), where you create folders named as whatever is between all / / pairs in the url after pls.patch.station.sony.com.

Edit: I'll requote myself, just in case.

kalstrams posted:

Basically, the idea is the following (for theoretical alternative fix). You get the full url, you download the file via browser or phone or whatever, and then you follow this answer to try to trick launcher into downloading that single loving file from your computer. It likely won't help, but in the unlikely event when the problematic address is the first one it goes to and when any connections prior to that are directed elsewhere, this should fix it. To ensure that your download is not corrupted (well, not ensure, but to have a decent guess on it from what's accessible to you), make sure that the download size your browser reports you (say, 44 MB) does match with that of the download file, since error message you get basically is 'incomplete download'.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 25, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Fixed it. Went into the advanced options for the launcher to see the log in real time and saw this:

code:
*Warning: Retrying Resources/Assets/Assets_254.pack
*Error: Unable to download SocketError:cc::HTTP::Receive got unexpected close during block read - [url]http://pls.patch.station.sony.com/patch/sha/planetside2/planetside2.sha.zs/3b/ae2/577930eab03f0406cf2c2f860312070bb4e[/url]
Checking game installation...
Found 1 file(s) to update.
Patching Resources/Assets/Assets_254.pack
*Error: Unable to download SocketError:cc::HTTP::Receive got unexpected close during block read - [url]http://pls.patch.station.sony.com/patch/sha/planetside2/planetside2.sha.zs/3b/ae2/577930eab03f0406cf2c2f860312070bb4e[/url]
Checking game installation...
Found 1 file(s) to update.
Creating Resources/Assets/Assets_254.pack
Finished downloading 10,610,140,801 bytes in 137.560 seconds (77,131,003 bytes per second)
Googled "Planetside 2 assets_254.pack" and found a Reddit thread that said to delete the offending file. Sure enough that did it just fine and now I'm looking at a big green play button. HOPEFULLY that doesn't mean something's going to gently caress up in game or such but it redownloaded the file just fine. Now if only that Skylines expansion didn't drop today or I had finished MGSV I might actually play it to test it out.

Thanks tons to Kalstrams for your efforts! You tried so hard dude and it was appreciated greatly.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

Wow, most of the responses are useless/trolling. I feel like the devs really dogfood their own game.

given the players, their attitude, and the expectations, what else would you do?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Thanks tons to Kalstrams for your efforts! You tried so hard dude and it was appreciated greatly.
:patriot:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Lovely Senorita posted:

given the players, their attitude, and the expectations, what else would you do?
Admit gently caress-ups and lay out actual plans for fixing, not shooting back in the same manner.

With the way they did that thread i just have no idea why they did it in the first place and what they expected from it.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Calling it a q&a was pretty generous to begin with, they were very clear about only taking questions about things on the roadmap - might as well have just been a blog post on the official site. Just some really blatant and transparent marketing, the kind that they can do without any real investment.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

PS 2 is a game that's managed by like 6 people now, in their spare time, as a hobby. The sooner we stop thinking it's a product from a AAA studio the happier you'll be.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Protons posted:

PS 2 is a game that's managed by like 6 people now, in their spare time, as a hobby. The sooner we stop thinking it's a product from a AAA studio the happier you'll be.

We're not dumb, just frustrated because we like the game and wish it was better.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

honda whisperer posted:

We're not dumb, just frustrated because we like the game and wish it was better.

idk about u but i stopped liking the game years ago. i only log in to farm idiots now, but apparently i'm not even good enough at that because i didn't get b&

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Now that I have a pretty good amount of stuff unlocked I am liking PS2 better than PS1 in its prime.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Welp, the continent servers are crashing every 15 minutes.

:bravo: DBG

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

sitchelin posted:

Makes the game better, IMO

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

honda whisperer posted:

Slaan posted:

Makes the game better, IMO

^^ this has been the prevailing attitude for the last year. The community eats itself.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

sitchelin posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if a Galactico Pumpkin spawning is responsible.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

How the hell you do redeem pumpkin seeds anyway? I have killed a few pumpkins and gotten a few seeds but I have no idea wtf to do with them.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Antillie posted:

How the hell you do redeem pumpkin seeds anyway? I have killed a few pumpkins and gotten a few seeds but I have no idea wtf to do with them.

Go into the depot and search "infantry gear."

Zila
Jun 21, 2013

Antillie posted:

In the Depot you can buy masks for seeds, search for Halloween. The prices are like 10x what they were last year though sadly.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zila posted:

In the Depot you can buy masks for seeds, search for Halloween. The prices are like 10x what they were last year though sadly.

Ah hah. What the gently caress. Why?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So 3 days ago hairybigfoot got banned for killing too many nerds with the magrider and found himself banned. He ended up finally making a reddit account and got himself unbanned thanks to promptcriticalsoe. When asked for details on this whole mess promptcriticalsoe responds with this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3mcxzb/im_hairybigfoot_and_i_got_all_my_stuff_taken/cveb0it

quote:

He was banned on purpose, but because he spent a lot of money, had a recurring membership, and complained on Reddit, we overlooked it
It was an accident.

Is he joking?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Artificer posted:

Ah hah. What the gently caress. Why?

Because they want you to buy them with funbux. How is that a confusing concept?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Is he joking?
A human-made mistake, unacceptable!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

HairyBigFoot types exactly like how I imagined him to

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

HairyBigFoot is the only good thing to come out of Planetside 2.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

HBF's voice reminds me of a guy who used to call in to Howard Stern back when he was on 92.3 FM (WXRK) in NYC. Was his name Corky? I can't find any references now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

After you've dropped roughly $50 on PS2 you're immune to any rule-breaking offenses outside of using a 3rd party program.

• Locked thread