Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Context, son.

Larry Parrish posted:

So what you're saying is only jackasses have callsigns

No, but those are the only entertaining ones I can think of. Tube is actually one of the funniest guys I've ever met, and UTAH's callsign comes from his George Costanza-like temper. Actually everyone on that list is pretty cool. The douchebags are usually the ones who refuse to play the game, because it means letting your guard down from your careerist self-preservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

-

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea, there is a rich history of AWACS guys dating women significantly older than they are. We had a perma-tsgt in Alaska who was early 30s dating a 60 something year old.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:wtc:

Keep saying that radiation doesn't do anything, "scientists."

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
goddam you tinker folk were weird.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Leather Bear posted:

Yea, there is a rich history of AWACS guys dating women significantly older than they are. We had a perma-tsgt in Alaska who was early 30s dating a 60 something year old.

lol

And that's an Alaska 60 year old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7a_Zl74uk

Also orders to Malmstrom got turned off thanks to inability to get PRP for medical reasons. :confuoot:

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
A chick I used to work with thought she was super tough and wanted her callsign to be Bulldog. After the aircrew saw her in a flight suit her callsign was Moose Knuckles.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You do NOT get to pick your own callsign and the worst thing you can do is try. Possible exceptions are if it's a family thing. We had a guy who became a third-generation "Petey" based on last name. Pretty sure that's the only one I've ever seen that got one he wanted. Social Reject picked his too, unwittingly.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

iyaayas01 posted:

lol

And that's an Alaska 60 year old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7a_Zl74uk

Also orders to Malmstrom got turned off thanks to inability to get PRP for medical reasons. :confuoot:

SSRI's and Teller-Ulam just don't mix. Like two dicks and no chicks.

This is the first time sadbrains saved someone and didn't gently caress them.

Go read and or listen to Command And a Control and take this for the hidden blessing in disguise that it really is.

'Grats bro.

'Grats.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Well it wasn't actually sadbrains, surprisingly, given my history. Something is actually (probably) physically wrong with me (they just don't know what yet). At least I don't have any phantom ball pain.

But yeah I'm far from bummed about being denied PRP, I'm well aware of the shitshow that is nukes, it's the only community that's neck and neck in a race for the bottom with the one I'm currently in.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Stories like http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/22/politics/chinese-jet-maneuver-pentagon/index.html almost make me want to head back to the RC-135.

Almost.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

Well it wasn't actually sadbrains, surprisingly, given my history. Something is actually (probably) physically wrong with me (they just don't know what yet). At least I don't have any phantom ball pain.

But yeah I'm far from bummed about being denied PRP, I'm well aware of the shitshow that is nukes, it's the only community that's neck and neck in a race for the bottom with the one I'm currently in.

Yeah, you dodged a bullet on that one. A buddy of mine is a facility manager out there and is loving miserable. :lol: Montana living. And PRP is a mess. Thankfully I never had to be on it or deal with it, but a good bunch of my friends had a bunch of weird inconveniences because of its stupid rules.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So apparently the reserve wing's AMOS is so desperate for 1C3s that even with the whole PT discharge thing they want to interview me. Any of you guys work for one?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Godholio posted:

You do NOT get to pick your own callsign and the worst thing you can do is try. Possible exceptions are if it's a family thing. We had a guy who became a third-generation "Petey" based on last name. Pretty sure that's the only one I've ever seen that got one he wanted. Social Reject picked his too, unwittingly.

The best callsigns pass three tests:

1) The CNN test: Suitable for TV should you ever make the news.

2) The bar test: Won't stop you from picking up bar floozies.

3) Above all else, no matter how cool it sounds, it's either an insult or, at best, a pun based on your name.

E.g., "Colt", a flight surgeon I knew. He can tell the ladies it's because he's a young stud, but we all know it means Comb-Over Looks Terrible.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

my callsign was swede because of heartbreak ridge

i was 5" taller than everyone else in the unit

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
All the callsign chat just makes me think of Hashers. Come to think of it I like them about as much as I like pilots.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Are you?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Got a job offer making 24k more than I do now. Terminal leave starts in a week. The dream is real.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Congratulations!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Well if you consider what you're losing in your Commissary and BX and Gym and araksjlkjaeoawijlm,sd

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

A Kpro posted:

Got a job offer making 24k more than I do now. Terminal leave starts in a week. The dream is real.

ETS'd as a shamtastic E4 on Monday, got a job offer today for $90k in the DC metro starting in two weeks, the dream is awesome.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.

xsf421 posted:

ETS'd as a shamtastic E4 on Monday, got a job offer today for $90k in the DC metro starting in two weeks, the dream is awesome.

drat, not bad at all. What's your AFSC and is that pretty normal salary range for people that bounce after one enlistment?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not at all, but it's also in one of the highest cost-of-living areas in the nation. When I was looking at jobs at Ft McNair I found a lot of GS9s and 11s who had roommates or were looking for roommates. Granted, 90k is more like GS13 level, but no, it's not normal to jump from E-4 to the civilian pay equivalent of a Lt Col.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

That's super dependent on AFSC. Just about all the network guys I've worked with who bounced after one enlistment started with 85-100k at their next jobs. One dude literally works as a GS-13 at his old squadron in Texas. Dunno if you could pay me enough to work with mil as a civilian, though. Living the dream?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
He's delusional, or confused, or exaggerating. (Or worst and must likely of all- being lied to) there isn't a single goddamn one of you fucks that's popping out to 6 figures after doing one 4 year enlisted bid with the AF. With loving very few highly specialized and high demand exceptions. Not now, not these days.

If you were the guy smart enough, lucky enough, and networked enough to do that in 2015 in the era of sequestration and looming programatic shutdowns and budget uncertainty.. Well, you probably could have made much more money in just about any other way.

The days of 100k contracting for recently ETS'd snuffy to check badges at the FOB Victory DFAC are over.

If your pretty good at unfucking say.. UAV, small airplane, or Rotary wing avionics? As well as specializing in some engines and some airframes that are really unique, or you are either and NDI or RAM guru.. You can get yourself setup with decent cash flow contracting, pretty easy.

But as you can already tell this almost always requires more than one term, and is limited to some pretty niche as gently caress fields. All technical but blue collar.

Any normal 4 years at the help desk Air Force comms guy who does a bid and gets out and thinks he's just a signature away from fat stacks and easy street with a contractor?

loving :lol:.

Just loving :lol:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

He's delusional, or confused, or exaggerating. (Or worst and must likely of all- being lied to) there isn't a single goddamn one of you fucks that's popping out to 6 figures after doing one 4 year enlisted bid with the AF. With loving very few highly specialized and high demand exceptions. Not now, not these days.

If you were the guy smart enough, lucky enough, and networked enough to do that in 2015 in the era of sequestration and looming programatic shutdowns and budget uncertainty.. Well, you probably could have made much more money in just about any other way.

The days of 100k contracting for recently ETS'd snuffy to check badges at the FOB Victory DFAC are over.

If your pretty good at unfucking say.. UAV, small airplane, or Rotary wing avionics? As well as specializing in some engines and some airframes that are really unique, or you are either and NDI or RAM guru.. You can get yourself setup with decent cash flow contracting, pretty easy.

But as you can already tell this almost always requires more than one term, and is limited to some pretty niche as gently caress fields. All technical but blue collar.

Any normal 4 years at the help desk Air Force comms guy who does a bid and gets out and thinks he's just a signature away from fat stacks and easy street with a contractor?

loving :lol:.

Just loving :lol:

I mean, if I wanted to go back to MINOT I could pull 125K after getting out as a staff and working the same job I do now in the oil fields. Maybe about 100K in Texas. But this involves living in ND or Texas.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Those jobs probably also have about an 80% turnover rate. Nobody pays that much money for the good jobs, or the jobs that are easy to fill/keep filled. I've known more than a couple of people who've taken oilfield jobs after separating, because the money is drat good. But the jobs are loving awful, the locations are loving awful, the company is loving awful.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Godholio posted:

Those jobs probably also have about an 80% turnover rate. Nobody pays that much money for the good jobs, or the jobs that are easy to fill/keep filled. I've known more than a couple of people who've taken oilfield jobs after separating, because the money is drat good. But the jobs are loving awful, the locations are loving awful, the company is loving awful.

The only positive of being stationed in Minot is I know all the retired SNCOs during my time who are now upper management for a good smattering of oil field companies. Most of them would hire me to be an accountant or management vs some of the miserable poo poo unskilled labor guys do. But yeah, I don't see any of that as viable because NORTH DAKOTA :suicide:

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

there isn't a single goddamn one of you fucks that's popping out to 6 figures after doing one 4 year enlisted bid with the AF.

How much does the average male prostitute make? I'm sure most junior enlisted are pretty good at getting hosed after 4 years.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

My brother's was "peanut" due to his large, misshapen head. His best friend from college was "sprinkles" because he was exhausted one day and went in to the chow hall/dfac/human being-diner and got pissed when they were out of cereal, and shouted "gently caress it" and poured all the ice cream sprinkles in a bowl, splashed milk on top and ate that instead

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Ckwiesr posted:

How much does the average male prostitute make? I'm sure most junior enlisted are pretty good at getting hosed after 4 years.

Not enough to pay for the trip to Vegas. Which by the way, I don't think is happening for me. 12 hour shifts and was told not to buy plane tickets yet :smith:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

1N4 sigint analyst, after a 6 year enlistment. To be honest, I got lucky with a combination of experience, networking at ft meade for the past 3 years, and my clearance renewing 3 weeks before I ETS'd.

e: Mclean/Arlington VA isn't exactly a low cost of living area either.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 25, 2015

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

smertrioslol posted:

Not enough to pay for the trip to Vegas. Which by the way, I don't think is happening for me. 12 hour shifts and was told not to buy plane tickets yet :smith:

This makes me extremely sad.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Direct quote from me today: "I'm going to leave work, buy a bottle of Rye, and make old fashioned's until I pass out or the bottle is empty."

Unfortunately my plan hit a little bit of a snag when I didn't get home until 9:30.

:suicide:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

iyaayas01 posted:

Direct quote from me today: "I'm going to leave work, buy a bottle of Rye, and make old fashioned's until I pass out or the bottle is empty."

Unfortunately my plan hit a little bit of a snag when I didn't get home until 9:30.

:suicide:

blue laws?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nah I bought the liquor successfully (I live in Vegas, even the supermarkets sell liquor 24/7 lol)....I just got a significantly late start on my plan since I didn't get home until loving 9:30.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Seems like bottom shelf liquor and hating your life is a common theme tonight.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My clearance renewed about a month ago, but I definitely don't want to use it ever again. Only a couple more months left.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Dead Reckoning posted:

Seems like bottom shelf liquor and hating your life is a common theme tonight.

I dunno my flight got delayed for 4 hours last night in Seattle but that just meant 4 extra hours of drinking time at the bar. Met some cool people, got some chick's number, had a decent interview earlier that day as well.

Oh hey Seattle traffic loving sucks and makes no loving sense. No road construction, no accidents, and it still took almost an hour to get somewhere when it should've taken like 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

My clearance renewed about a month ago, but I definitely don't want to use it ever again. Only a couple more months left.

In two years it goes into an administratively inactive state, and you can only bring it back after that (maybe) if you're working for the same agency that sponsored the last renewal. It's also not a free ticket to jobs like idiots claim.

• Locked thread