Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

RisqueBarber posted:

I've never driven a stick and the main reason I wanted to in the first place is because it looked hella fun. But I'm scared that I'll rarely get to use it to its potential because I'm stuck in downtown Dallas traffic all the time.

Not quite sure what you mean by potential. Get the stick. You won't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Get the stick, it's great. Unless you're doing a lot of driving in stop-and-go traffic. I've only really wished for an automatic one time, and that was when I moved half a kilometer in the space of 40 minutes, owing to a poorly conceived and badly-signed road closure.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RisqueBarber posted:

I've never driven a stick and the main reason I wanted to in the first place is because it looked hella fun. But I'm scared that I'll rarely get to use it to its potential because I'm stuck in downtown Dallas traffic all the time.

I had a standard transmission while I was living in Dallas and it was totally fine. A Mustang GT (Especially with 3.73 rears) is going to be better than a shitload of other manual trans cars, just because with as powerful and torque-y as the engine is, you don't even need to use first gear for start and stop traffic. You can get moving no problem in second, even third if you really felt like it, so there's not a lot of need for constant shifting up/down start/stops.

It lets you be a hell of a lot lazier than in something like a 100hp econobox with super widely spaced gearing where you must start in 1st gear and row through all 4 gears because you absolutely have to do it to keep the engine running. In the Mustang you can just go from first to third or fourth without even a though.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

drat you guys make it tough. I think your right, I'll go with my gut and get what I wanted originally. Now I just have to find one I want.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
People like to poo poo on the mt82 but it's a fairly reliable transmission assuming you don't beat on it daily. Ford's also done a decent job lately at getting pretty good feel out of the shifter. I do not think mine is bad stock although I do plan on getting a blowfish bracket to do a direct mount instead of remote mount and possibly a short shifter(mainly just for height, the throw honestly feels pretty good).

edit: The clutch is also really light because of the thick spring they put on the pedal. A lot of people take it out because it removes some clutch feel but I always learned to watch/listen to revs instead of feel the pedal grab so it never really bothered me.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 24, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I was planning on pulling my clutch pedal spring immediately, but ended up getting used to it. It still bugs me a little bit, but its not as bad as I thought it would be. Its just a big change in effort right as its grabbing, which makes it hard to be smooth.

The shifter on mine is a little..."notchy"? It could be smoother but its light weight and pretty short distance between gates.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
The MY16 Camaro is growing on me. It's not as ugly as it used to be, and I like the platform it's built on, and I have a good friend who works at a custom Corvette shop and has been a GM guy/mechanic his whole life, so I'd have like, built in mechanic help for all the things.

There are a few problems though. Hate the Chevy badge on the car, still doesn't look as good as the Mustang, interior won't be as nice as the Mustangs? [that last one is a question, do we know yet if the new Camaro will have a better interior?]

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Buhbuhj posted:

People like to poo poo on the mt82 but it's a fairly reliable transmission assuming you don't beat on it daily. Ford's also done a decent job lately at getting pretty good feel out of the shifter. I do not think mine is bad stock although I do plan on getting a blowfish bracket to do a direct mount instead of remote mount and possibly a short shifter(mainly just for height, the throw honestly feels pretty good).

edit: The clutch is also really light because of the thick spring they put on the pedal. A lot of people take it out because it removes some clutch feel but I always learned to watch/listen to revs instead of feel the pedal grab so it never really bothered me.

Mine (MT82/2012 boss 302) was frankly poo poo when it was new, shifting between 1st/2nd/3rd was all awful. The stock fluid was also really heavy to the point where it was really hard to get in to gear initially on a cold morning (Although this is totally understandable on a track focused car). And I live in Florida, so a cold morning isn't exactly freezing.

At 30k miles and after swapping to redline oil, it's lightyears better.

ilkhan posted:

The shifter on mine is a little..."notchy"? It could be smoother but its light weight and pretty short distance between gates.

The notchy shifter symptom seems to be the most common complaint I've seen about these transmissions. That's certainly how I'd have described mine 20k miles ago.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 24, 2015

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

tijag posted:

The MY16 Camaro is growing on me. It's not as ugly as it used to be, and I like the platform it's built on, and I have a good friend who works at a custom Corvette shop and has been a GM guy/mechanic his whole life, so I'd have like, built in mechanic help for all the things.

There are a few problems though. Hate the Chevy badge on the car, still doesn't look as good as the Mustang, interior won't be as nice as the Mustangs? [that last one is a question, do we know yet if the new Camaro will have a better interior?]

I've heard the interior is a lot better but the car still has really bad visibility and the seats aren't great? Need to see one in person to actually confirm I guess.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RisqueBarber posted:

But 121/bush are a hell of a lot of fun, trust me.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

ilkhan posted:

I was planning on pulling my clutch pedal spring immediately, but ended up getting used to it. It still bugs me a little bit, but its not as bad as I thought it would be. Its just a big change in effort right as its grabbing, which makes it hard to be smooth.

This is my biggest complaint about the car. I came from a 2007 Civic Si and the clutch on this is so much lighter it actually caused me to stall the car a few times when I first got it. But the lightness isn't the real problem, it's the complete lack of feel to the clutch, even after 2000+ miles it catches me out every once in a while.

That said, get the stick for one reason. Whenever you want to hear that amazing exhaust sound (which will be a lot) just drop a gear or two and there you go. This may or may not be related to my current 16.5 MPG average...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Q_res posted:

This is my biggest complaint about the car. I came from a 2007 Civic Si and the clutch on this is so much lighter it actually caused me to stall the car a few times when I first got it. But the lightness isn't the real problem, it's the complete lack of feel to the clutch, even after 2000+ miles it catches me out every once in a while.

That said, get the stick for one reason. Whenever you want to hear that amazing exhaust sound (which will be a lot) just drop a gear or two and there you go. This may or may not be related to my current 16.5 MPG average...
As someone who's driving is at least 80% surface streets I'm envious of your 16.5mpg average.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Sort of related but what caught me out the most was the hill assist. I ended up turning it off after maybe 2 days with the car because the brakes were actually holding the car too long and it was making me almost stall out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

Sort of related but what caught me out the most was the hill assist. I ended up turning it off after maybe 2 days with the car because the brakes were actually holding the car too long and it was making me almost stall out.
I turned that poo poo off day 1.
I stalled it on the test drive but haven't on mine.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

ilkhan posted:

I turned that poo poo off day 1.
I stalled it on the test drive but haven't on mine.

How do you do this?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

How do you do this?
Menu option through the steering wheel iirc.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

oRenj9 posted:

How do you do this?

On my model at least (2014), it's this Konami Code:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Seik posted:

This is a joke, right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I would've killed for Hill Start Assist when I first got the Mustang and was just learning to drive stick, but five years later it's completely irrelevant.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I spent a few hours cleaning up my car.

The rest of the album is here http://imgur.com/a/kP7pY

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kalvick posted:

On mobile, without looking close, that angle made it look like your right rear was like...funny car width.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seik posted:

Sometimes I look at my 2001 Ford Laser and think "wow, it is getting old, I should get something newer" then I see this and happy to know while the Laser has ABS, it doesn't have poo poo like this

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

You Am I posted:

Sometimes I look at my 2001 Ford Laser and think "wow, it is getting old, I should get something newer" then I see this and happy to know while the Laser has ABS, it doesn't have poo poo like this

I just don't understand why its this and not, like, a menu option. I thought pretty much any care post 2010 had the whole dash menu screen, don't they?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It is a simple menu option on the 2015, thank god.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I just don't understand why its this and not, like, a menu option. I thought pretty much any care post 2010 had the whole dash menu screen, don't they?

Because engineers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

Because engineers.

My only thought is it may have been a liability thing; they didn't want people doing it by accident and then suing Ford when their car rolled backward into something.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Finally picked mine up. 2016 Ecoboost Premium with the 6spd manual and the Performance Package. Love it so far!

Kinfolk Jones fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 2, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

tijag posted:

Looks almost the same to me on the outside. :shrug:

Interior's supposed to be a lot better though, but the visibility is still horrid. I have no doubt I'll go sit in one and check it out when I get a chance though; I do think the Alpha platform is superb and the engine lovely.

I was looking at the GT350 on ford's site, $77 grand Canadian with the tech package. :gonk:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Another DIB for the DIB club. Looks good Kinfolk. Get out and drive.

Mine is 2 days shy of a month old and I have less than 500 miles on it. :/

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

Late, but that looks gooood. Is your car lower in the rear than the front or is it just the angle? I like how clean and simple yours is. I really dislike our pedestal spoilers though, thats just my opinion.

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Finally picked mine up. 2016 Ecoboost Premium with the 6spd manual and the Performance Package. Love it so far!

Nice pick.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

El Scotch posted:

Interior's supposed to be a lot better though, but the visibility is still horrid. I have no doubt I'll go sit in one and check it out when I get a chance though; I do think the Alpha platform is superb and the engine lovely.

I was looking at the GT350 on ford's site, $77 grand Canadian with the tech package. :gonk:

That's only $58k USD, not that crazy.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
77 grand would get me an AMG C63, I think.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

That's only $58k USD, not that crazy.

That's also only £38k! That's an even smaller number than $58k!

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

Late, but that looks gooood. Is your car lower in the rear than the front or is it just the angle? I like how clean and simple yours is. I really dislike our pedestal spoilers though, thats just my opinion.

Nice pick.

yea, unfortunately its the way I spec'ed out the build order. I put a limit of about $1000 a year on mods. It stops me from going over board and ending up in the poor house.
basically over the years I got EVERYTHING Maximum Motorsports makes. The only thing left to do is the k-member kit and coil overs to all 4 corners. once that happens everything should be even.
I am not a fan of doing any shortcuts when it comes to suspension. The Kmember kit + coil overs will put me over $2000, so i will probably just do a-arms and coil overs next year.
Then everything should be level. then it will be time to sit down and think about how to attack the engine mods.
I have so many different ideas for the engine I really don't know where to begin.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

El Scotch posted:

That's also only £38k! That's an even smaller number than $58k!

What I meant by that is that US pricing is in the mid 50s for GT350s, so the price in Canada has very little markup, if any, over the US market.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

My point is our dollar sucks.

ArthurDent
Sep 21, 2003

Today must be Thursday.

ilkhan posted:

Another DIB for the DIB club. Looks good Kinfolk. Get out and drive.

Mine is 2 days shy of a month old and I have less than 500 miles on it. :/

Second this, get out and drive before winter gets here! Somehow I've put 1000 miles a month on mine the 4 months I've had it driving with nowhere to go :D

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

and dealers are going to have a $25k market adjustment until the next mustang comes out because they're all massive dickheads.

The GT350R is $85,000, $5k less than a Z06.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Powershift posted:

and dealers are going to have a $25k market adjustment until the next mustang comes out because they're all massive dickheads.

The GT350R is $85,000, $5k less than a Z06.

poo poo, you might be waiting longer than that. There are several NEW GT500s for sale in my area. One of them is a loving 2012.

Might as well pay the market adjustment, since they won't depreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

poo poo, you might be waiting longer than that. There are several NEW GT500s for sale in my area. One of them is a loving 2012.

Might as well pay the market adjustment, since they won't depreciate.

PSHHHHHHHHHHH

http://www.chtoyota.com/inventory/listing/used/1990/Toyota/Supra/979/2156/