Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Did you know that the drought is a government conspiracy? Neither did I. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CONGRESS CREATED DUSTBOWL

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I didn't say the Catholic Church, I said Pope Francis. His canonizing of this dirtbag means he's okay with it.

I'm not even Catholic, I just liked what he was doing humanitarian-wise. Now I wish he'd never meddle with the United States ever again.

God damnit now I sound like a Republican. :suicide:

Hells yeah, Pope Francis' humanitarian stances such as: still no women catholic priests, still insisting on celibacy in the priesthood, still not punishing members of the bureaucracy that helped to hide the molesters by moving them around; still banning all effective forms of birth control, a policy which directly impoverishes entire nations; still excommunicating divorcees, a policy which encourages people to stay in abusive marriages for fear of going to Hell; still maintaining an enormously, lavishly, conspicuously wealthy organization despite a purported mission to help the poor; etc. etc. etc.

Pope Francis said maybe atheists aren't literally evil, he likes to commute around the Vatican in a normal car, he's trying not to be as ostentatious. I think he's genuinely more humble than recent Popes we've had and that's not a bad thing. But he's doing gently caress-all to actually reform the Catholic church.

He's a completely typical indoctrinated conservative Catholic priest who knows how to present himself as a populist but has no intention of actually instituting change. So, you know: gently caress that guy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'll take a reformer on a few issues versus a reactionary or conservative on all, especially considering we're discussing what should be one of the most conservative organizations on Earth.

The fact that the Catholic Church isn't the most conservative mass movement is rather amazing really. How can you get outpaced by a thousands year old religious institution with a centralized authoritarian bent?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thanks Pope Francis for legitimizing the genocide of my ancestors. :fuckoff:

So what are your thoughts about his comments today?

It might not go far enough obviously, but I'm struggling to think of when a US president has spoken similarly.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Wrap it up, Haggenailures:

http://www.ksby.com/story/30112094/haggen-grocery-chain-to-close-all-california-stores

I'm sure everybody saw this coming from miles away. I bet this'll be touted as an example of anti-monopoly regulation being bad.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

So what are your thoughts about his comments today?

Didn't bother watching. East Coast is too far to care about in my book.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Didn't bother watching. East Coast is too far to care about in my book.

quote:

In recent centuries, millions of people came to this land to pursue their dream of building a future in freedom. We, the people of this continent, are not fearful of foreigners, because most of us were once foreigners. I say this to you as the son of immigrants, knowing that so many of you are also descended from immigrants. Tragically, the rights of those who were here long before us were not always respected. For those peoples and their nations, from the heart of American democracy, I wish to reaffirm my highest esteem and appreciation. Those first contacts were often turbulent and violent, but it is difficult to judge the past by the criteria of the present. Nonetheless, when the stranger in our midst appeals to us, we must not repeat the sins and the errors of the past. We must resolve now to live as nobly and as justly as possible, as we educate new generations not to turn their back on our “neighbors” and everything around us. Building a nation calls us to recognize that we must constantly relate to others, rejecting a mindset of hostility in order to adopt one of reciprocal subsidiarity, in a constant effort to do our best. I am confident that we can do this.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CPColin posted:

http://www.ksby.com/story/30112094/haggen-grocery-chain-to-close-all-california-stores

I'm sure everybody saw this coming from miles away. I bet this'll be touted as an example of anti-monopoly regulation being bad.
LMAO at your choice of source.

Be sure and keep us updated on further developments in the Greater Lompoc, Atascadero, and Paso Robles areas.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

FMguru posted:

Be sure and keep us updated on further developments in the Greater Lompoc, Atascadero, and Paso Robles areas.

Which parts of California do you deem important enough for this thread?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

CPColin posted:

Not just the underperforming stores, but every single one? I find it hard to believe anyone is this incompetent, someone high up has to be cashing out big time because of this :smith:

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Choadmaster posted:

Which parts of California do you deem important enough for this thread?

Wait, isn't all of California just the Bay Area and LA, with giant swaths of meth labs deserts and weed farm forests outside of them?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

e_angst posted:

Wait, isn't all of California just the Bay Area and LA, with giant swaths of meth labs deserts and weed farm forests outside of them?

Leperflesh, is that you???

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FMguru posted:

It's my source because I live in SLO. v:shobon:v

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FMguru posted:

We have people who do so for the Bay Area and LA. I think it's only fair to let him talk about SLO happenings every once in a while. I mean it's not like he cares about bicycling around Sunnyvale.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

e_angst posted:

What is this LA you speak of? I'm in Orange County, and while I theorize that there could be something north of me, the solid wall of traffic says otherwise.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

e_angst posted:

Somewhere a Sacramento resident is crying. Although I'm sure people living in Stockton/Modesto/Fresno aren't too worked up, they are too busy sweltering in their 6th month of summer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TildeATH posted:

Leperflesh, is that you???

I acknowledge other parts of california :colbert:

Yosemite, for example. And the north coast. And Monterey & Big Sur. And Mendocino. Shasta. Lassen. The rest of the high sierra. Long valley. Mono lake. San Juan Bautista.

...basically everything north of SLO is nice, with a few exceptions. I'm looking at you, Eureka.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Pervis posted:

Somewhere a Sacramento resident is crying.

We aren't crying. It's just a little wildfire in our eyes.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
No comment yet, just saw this pop up:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/09/24/california-lake-mysterious-runs-dry-overnight-killing-thousands-of-fish/

quote:

FOLSOM LAKE (CBS13) — A Northern California reservoir ran dry overnight, killing thousands of fish and leaving residents looking for answers.

While a $3.5 million drought safety net at Folsom Lake finishes, a lake in another part of the state is left high and dry.

Thousands of fish lay dead in what used to be Mountain Meadows reservoir also known as Walker Lake, a popular fishing hole just west of Susanville.

Residents say people were fishing on the lake last Saturday, but it drained like a bathtub overnight. Bauer has lived near this lake his entire life. This is the first time he’s ever seen it run dry. He and other residents want answers.

Pacific Gas & Electric Company owns the rights to the water and uses it for hydroelectric power.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Holy gently caress we're all gonna die. :stare:

andamac
Jan 25, 2004

Two buckets of chicken and a drive to the liquor store.
It's been kinda hard to find clear info about that one but what it sounds like is that there are outlet pipes to provide minimum downstream flows and they've been clogged so outflows were lower than they should have been (with still virtually zero inflow because of the drought), and when they cleared the outlet pipes there was so little water left it drained really fast. The effect is dramatic (and I wouldn't discount the suggestion that PG&E did it this way because they didn't want to bother trying to transport the fish) but if the outlet pipes hadn't been clogged in the first place the res probably would have gone dry weeks ago.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

andamac posted:

It's been kinda hard to find clear info about that one but what it sounds like is that there are outlet pipes to provide minimum downstream flows and they've been clogged so outflows were lower than they should have been (with still virtually zero inflow because of the drought), and when they cleared the outlet pipes there was so little water left it drained really fast. The effect is dramatic (and I wouldn't discount the suggestion that PG&E did it this way because they didn't want to bother trying to transport the fish) but if the outlet pipes hadn't been clogged in the first place the res probably would have gone dry weeks ago.

Yeah this SacBee article has some more details:

quote:

PG&E spokesman Paul Moreno said an outlet valve at the dam has been continuously clogged, requiring maintenance as often as twice a day to release water downstream through Hamilton Branch to Lake Almanor. Company officials consulted with “the relevant agencies” and decided not to stop further flows out of the dam, he said.

“It’s a very flat, very shallow reservoir. At some point it was going to go dry,” he said.

Mountain Meadows Reservoir has been drained in the past, Seandel said. But the water committee would liked to have known in time to install sampling equipment to monitor the effects of the reservoir outflow on tributaries to Lake Almanor and the lake itself.

While PG&E communicates regularly with the Almanor and Bucks Lake communities over water levels, it has no community agreements over Mountain Meadows, Moreno said.

Lunder cited requirements established in 1989 to challenge PG&E’s operations through the spring and summer. “It was obvious early on they were going for broke” and continued releasing water instead of halting outflows when water levels dropped to the minimum, he said.

The utilities company reduced outflows in March to the minimum allowed and has used no Mountains Meadows water for power generation, Moreno said. He blamed the now muddy 5,800-acre expanse on low to no inflows from the handful of streams that feed Mountain Meadows, and on an August heat wave.

None of the reservoir’s fish are listed as species of concern to state or federal wildlife agencies.

(http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article36313068.html)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
PG&E loving up our environment again.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sirius tho, why haven't we built a transcontinental pipe to rainy states yet?

incoherent fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 26, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

incoherent posted:

Srius tho, why haven't we built a transcontinental pipe to rainy states yet?

Because the other states say "no"

But that's what the Colorado really is anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

incoherent posted:

You'd have to share with Nevada or Arizona.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

incoherent posted:

Because the rest of the states think y'all are loving crazy for living there in the first place.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

computer parts posted:

You'd have to share with Nevada or Arizona.

Money and this. It would reward people who live in actual deserts where people shouldn't have lawns and golf courses anyhow.

I mean, this is a problem even in California-- water is diverted so affluent white old people can turn into lizards in comfort while playing golf in places like Palm Springs or where ever. Arizona is like that only way worse.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Huge_Midget posted:

Because the rest of the states think y'all are loving crazy for living there in the first place.

If people think we're crazy for living in a place where the climate is fantastic for most of the year and there are very few bugs compared to everywhere else, then I'm not sure it's us who have the problem.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

If people think we're crazy for living in a place where the climate is fantastic for most of the year and there are very few bugs compared to everywhere else, then I'm not sure it's us who have the problem.

I think he meant the rest of the states are jealous.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The military might of California should be leveraged to bring the wet states to heel. We should colonize them and extract their precious hydro for our more enlightened usages. Who knows, in a hundred years or so idealistic Californian missionaries might bring civilization to their benighted cesspools of gluten, fried foods and college footballs.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

TildeATH posted:

benighted cesspools of gluten, fried foods and college footballs.
So youve been to OC and SD?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

jeeves posted:

Money and this. It would reward people who live in actual deserts where people shouldn't have lawns and golf courses anyhow.
Um, you mean like us? The classic expose on California water use is called Cadillac Desert for a reason. I am down with saying "death to non-native grasses", but we're in no position to cast stones with regard to our existing practices. Speaking of which, I did an investigation of low-water low groundcovers this spring. Every single one recommended for California was an invasive plant. :( I've always wanted a thyme lawn but constant bees; a chamomile lawn is water-needy. More research is needed. Before you ask "why low?" I have a tiny snip of lawn in the front and a tiny strip in the back that need to be walkable-on.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

TildeATH posted:

The military might of California should be leveraged to bring the wet states to heel. We should colonize them and extract their precious hydro for our more enlightened usages. Who knows, in a hundred years or so idealistic Californian missionaries might bring civilization to their benighted cesspools of gluten, fried foods and college footballs.

California Empire :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFA8WxKHmyQ

Too bad this game was buggy and broken.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

California already takes more than its fair share of water from 5+ other states, surely the economy of scale of adding 5 more would be cheaper!

That or we could remove Hoover! :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Um, you mean like us? The classic expose on California water use is called Cadillac Desert for a reason. I am down with saying "death to non-native grasses", but we're in no position to cast stones with regard to our existing practices. Speaking of which, I did an investigation of low-water low groundcovers this spring. Every single one recommended for California was an invasive plant. :( I've always wanted a thyme lawn but constant bees; a chamomile lawn is water-needy. More research is needed. Before you ask "why low?" I have a tiny snip of lawn in the front and a tiny strip in the back that need to be walkable-on.

Basically all California-native plants are drought-resistant so just search for CA-natives and you'll have choices. There are also nurseries specializing in natives. If you're in the bay area, check Annie's Annuals in Richmond, they have a massive natives section.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TildeATH posted:

Who knows, in a hundred years or so idealistic Californian missionaries might bring civilization to their benighted cesspools of gluten, fried foods and college footballs.

By which you mean Southern California?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Before you ask "why low?" I have a tiny snip of lawn in the front and a tiny strip in the back that need to be walkable-on.

Tear it out and put stepping stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I did say "tiny snip". There's a 3-ft-wide strip of grass next to the path up to the house in front and a 3-foot-wide strip in the back garden that separates the gravel path and the flowerbeds. I feel groundcovering those is totally legit. I had thought ajuga was invasive in California, but it's not on http://ice.ucdavis.edu/invasives/home/species
UC Davis's list.