Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Kumo learned spawning when her parallel will took over mother's body, so i'd be surprised if the main doesnt immediately get the skills a parallel body gets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
It also sounds like her mother's old body can also user Transfer on its own. Probably not even a spoiler given earlier chapters but let's try to be careful.

HenryEx posted:

Regarding Kumoko chapters 175+:

I thought the "nightmare remnants" were suposed to be her spawn that she left behind in the labyrinth, because there's supposed to be so many of them and she laid like a thousand eggs. But are they actually Parallel Wills? Just how many of those does she have!?
And if it's not the Wills... How'd they all inherit her skills like Appraisal and Language? We know they didn't start out with it.

Well the parallel wills have no need for telepathy to communicate with each other, so it's safe to say they aren't. They've just been taught a lot more than I expected.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They used the word unified to describe what happened to Kumoko's skills and stats when she ate her mother. It wasn't clearly stated that the queen body also got the combined stats, but that should be the case considering it is what happened with the skills. Of course, this is all assuming that the translation is accurate.

One description of the remnants in the labyrinth stated that it was a woman's voice talking about gaining skill proficiency. Assuming that was accurate, it seems likely that Kumoko still has a body there grinding skills which are then transferred to all of the other bodies. Meaning, it is possible that she is still being a deadbeat mom after all these years.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

One description of the remnants in the labyrinth stated that it was a woman's voice talking about gaining skill proficiency. Assuming that was accurate, it seems likely that Kumoko still has a body there grinding skills which are then transferred to all of the other bodies. Meaning, it is possible that she is still being a deadbeat mom after all these years.
That's not Kumoko, remember pope guy saying that the Goddess religion of Sariella and the Divine Voice religion worshiped the same deity? In ch100 there was this: "Zaa, ... nager sari.........Zaa, ... Rejection, Zaa", right before D made Wisdom.

Algid fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 20, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Algid posted:

That's not Kumoko, remember pope guy saying that the Goddess religion of Sariella and the Divine Voice religion worshiped the same deity? In ch100 there was this: "Zaa, ... nager sari.........Zaa, ... Rejection, Zaa", right before D made Wisdom.

I don't get the connection between that and the deity. That garbled message seemed to be an automated system, which sent a request up to D who then granted wisdom to Kumoko.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Administrators are gods, Kuro doesn't seem to actually do anything, and D just designed the system and now inserted a bunch of new people into it, but there is in fact someone running the system. That's what the pope meant when he said the churches worship the same person, the goddess religion is probably what they had pre-system, and later on she's reduced to a voice everyone hears.

It's not automated by the way, it's definitely context sensitive since Rulers at least can get unique responses. At the end of S22 Shun hears/thinks? something in the same voice as the system message.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Algid posted:

Administrators are gods, Kuro doesn't seem to actually do anything, and D just designed the system and now inserted a bunch of new people into it, but there is in fact someone running the system. That's what the pope meant when he said the churches worship the same person, the goddess religion is probably what they had pre-system, and later on she's reduced to a voice everyone hears.

It's not automated by the way, it's definitely context sensitive since Rulers at least can get unique responses. At the end of S22 Shun hears/thinks? something in the same voice as the system message.

Right, but that still doesn't explain why the skill grinding remnant in the labyrinth is a non-administrator goddess who has never actually been mentioned. We don't know what the world was like before D came along, and I'm not aware of anything that would indicate the divine voice predates D's system.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

You mean a timeline saying the goddess existed before the system and then became the divine voice?

Kumoko mentions that she's worshiped because the goddess had a spider as a servant, this is Ariel. When Ariel shows up she reveals that she's older than the system. Ariel first says that Kumoko was the toughest opponent she's had since the system was implemented and you can see that some of her titles are ordered together (since they were added all at once when she entered the system) but at the least her rulership and demonlord titles are chronological since she definitely got them after the system was implemented. If she was around as a spider before the system existed obviously her master was as well.

The message Kumoko got mentioned a "[ma]nager Sari...", the goddess is worshiped in "Sariella" and has a servant called sAriel. Then the pope says straight out that the goddess and divine voice are the same.

edit: It's not that the divine voice (system messages) predates the system, it's just that a pre-system goddess now works as an admin and happens to be the one announcing the messages. That's who Shun saw in his dream.

Algid fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 20, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

jon joe posted:

Somebody in the comments section of Kumo mentioned it, but there's another web novel featuring psychic spiders called Mother of Learning. The twist is: It's written in English. The other twist is: It's really well written.

You can read it here. The basic plot is an average wizard student gets stuck in a groundhog day type situation.

Aaaaaah this owns

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
It takes a few chapters to stretch its legs, but Mother of Learning is good once the broader aspects of the time loop are presented. Mostly, it's pretty good at presenting tension and how hopelessly outclassed the protagonist is even with time loops on his side.

It also features several different kinds of intelligent telepathic spiders, as advertised.

filthychimp fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 20, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I think it was confirmed for Yuugo's Lust thing but was Sensei's skill/stat drain confirmed as a heresy attack? I think they're both going to be in for a really rude surprise soon, and I'm just counting down the days until something makes Sensei actually lose the superior attitude.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Well, it looks like: (Latest translated chapters spoilers for Spidergirl) The reason the Demon King, Shiro et al have different personalities is that when the parallel wills take over they kinda merge with the current soul to create a new personality. What's weird though is that the Demon King shouldn't be the main body's soul. So what's the main body doing during all this?

Edit: Actually having thought about it I can't imagine it being anyone other than Shiro. Especially with the mention of her terrifying eyes in the earlier stories.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 20, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It took a while, but translation of volume 6 of Only Sense has begun. :toot:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The next chapters of Kumoko are going to be so drat fun.

I really hope we get 4 tomorrow, if I'm reading the upcoming titles right.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to Kumoko going all Lu Bu on everyone's rear end.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Has vampire baby been mentioned at all in the S story timeline?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm still hoping the vampire gets picked up by Kumoko.

Not much happened today but it was good set up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh, that would actually explain where the heck Shiro came from. Though, that would still leave the explanation of either why Shiro is so strong or why Kumoko would eat another reincarnator's soul.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm pretty sure Shiro is Kumoko after another evolution or two. The Demon King is also Kumoko--that is, she's the parallel will that was formerly Body-in-Charge, and then started working on assimilating the old Demon King, and therefore being referred to as Maou-in-Charge. Of course, it could still be the other way around. Remember, the old Demon King was human-shaped, but was still actually a member of the Taratect family, which is why Kumoko was able to try and assimilate here in the first place.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 24, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The evidence that Shiro is Kumoko is that she likes fruit, seems to have an evil eye, and is crazy strong. Sure, that is more evidence than there is for any other theory of Shiro's identity, but it isn't conclusive by any means.

Right now, that vampire baby gets mentioned all the time, so she must be relevant somehow. She hasn't shown up in the sidestories yet, and the teacher was able to do a search for every reincarnator who wasn't also a ruler. So, assuming that the teacher is both correct and honest, the options are that she is in the elf village (boring), dead (unlikely), a ruler, or a spare body for Kumoko (meaning she probably counts as a ruler and/or dead).

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't the mage dude note her main body being white? And the Remnants were too I thought?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Didn't the mage dude note her main body being white? And the Remnants were too I thought?

He also noted it as being a large spider. What is changing colors compared to changing phyla?

Really though, I am just looking for evidence that Kumoko never stopped being a lazy anti-social spider. After all, if she could push the troublesome tasks involved with being human(oid) on to a parallel will she totally would.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Something eventually happens with Kuro to cause that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Man, Only Sense Online is such a chill read. No drama or forced development between characters, just people playing a cool game.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
No new translated chapters yet, but some more chapter names were added.

quote:

190 Cuisine

:getin:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

The evidence that Shiro is Kumoko is that she likes fruit, seems to have an evil eye, and is crazy strong. Sure, that is more evidence than there is for any other theory of Shiro's identity, but it isn't conclusive by any means.

Right now, that vampire baby gets mentioned all the time, so she must be relevant somehow. She hasn't shown up in the sidestories yet, and the teacher was able to do a search for every reincarnator who wasn't also a ruler. So, assuming that the teacher is both correct and honest, the options are that she is in the elf village (boring), dead (unlikely), a ruler, or a spare body for Kumoko (meaning she probably counts as a ruler and/or dead).
She's not dead because he we know her name and it doesn't match the only girl who happens to be dead. She's not in the village because of narrative causality (i.e. boring). She's not going to be a spare body because we've already been told about the mechanics of soul eating, it's very restrictive, Kumoko could only do it to other spiders in her lineage because there was already a soul link in place.

Now that I can actually parse the conversation between Ariel and the dragons it was pretty hilarious:

I think I'm going to list out the stuff so far that point to D = Kumoko, there's been very little in the future chapters that contribute towards this, a lot of it has been hinted at from the very start instead.

Some general similarities: Both enjoy video games and junk food, both are female

Chapter 8: Kumoko thinks about the nature of reincarnation and whether she is a girl dreaming that she is a spider or a spider dreaming that she was a girl. She distinctly mentions the possibility that she's actually still on Earth and just controlling a spider body, or she's a spider with the memories of a girl.

Story synopsis, S6, S12, K1, chapter 150: We learn that all the other reincarnations had a large amount of skill points. D then explained that this was because she protected their souls and memories as well as preserving the power of their souls. D also mentions that only 25 individuals reincarnated. However from the side chapters 26 individuals with n%=W seem to be running around. The extra is obviously a proxy of D in some way, the best candidate would then be the one person that stands out as an aberration when it comes to her soul. The strength of Kumoko's soul as measured by given skill points was 100, all the other processed souls were measured in the tens of thousands. The exact mechanics of how D did this is unclear but we already know that soul splitting is a thing, maybe Kumoko really was a dead spider from Earth D injected with portions of her memory, maybe she's a lifeform D decided to spawn in a similar way to how parallel will works in the system. In any case this would in fact match with what was said in the synopsis about her being "at the bottom of the class" or whatever, she might have been someone's stray thought, or literally at the bottom of the class if she was actually a spider.

vvv edit: oh yeah, the not having a name even though she's gotten wisdom-appraisal is another thing.

Algid fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 25, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

e: quote is not edit and phones are hard.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 26, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I think Kumoko=D is possible but I'd much rather have her just be a regular student who happens to have an affinity with spiders. The fact that she doesn't know her name points to weird shenanigans though.

Also the hero survived the giant fireball so at least the leaders of the countries must know that the Nightmare survived as well. Bit surprised she just killed him unceremoniously later on, especially since they'd already met, after a fashion.

Sensei's skill drain stuff is basically confirmed as a heresy attack now since it's directly affecting the soul, and sensei doesn't seem to have much heresy resistance. Completely worthless against Kumoko.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 26, 2015

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

That's not quite it, it's probably just one of the rulership functions that cost "divinity area" to use. Kumoko mentioned that that's why she never touched any of those skills (Hell, Convicition, etc.) Whatever was done to Hugo needed his permission anyways, she hypnotized him to get him to say yes.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think we should all take a moment to congratulate Kumoko on her recent acquisition of hands and vocal cords. It's a big step forward for her!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

The Lord of Hats posted:

I think we should all take a moment to congratulate Kumoko on her recent acquisition of hands and vocal cords. It's a big step forward for her!

Classic human supremacist thinking all up ins. Trading 6 eyes for 2 limbs seems a poor trade.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

But she can now hold things. And can make smug gestures that other people can get. And get creepy fanar- I mean offerings from her followers.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Click for kumo eye info

Apparently Kumoko gains two eyes from this form

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Kumo-chan gained a new skill.

Catch and Release level 1.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

SerSpook posted:

Click for kumo eye info

But what about limbs?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Desuwa posted:

But what about limbs?

Who needs limbs when you have eyes?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Click for kumo eye info

So, quelaag style with a perfectly normal (giant monster) spider that also has a human torso sticking out of the top of its head.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

SerSpook posted:

Who needs limbs when you have eyes?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Cynic Jester posted:

Man, Only Sense Online is such a chill read. No drama or forced development between characters, just people playing a cool game.

I laughed so hard when Yun only got through what is probably a fairly easy event miniboss by spamming the ever loving poo poo out of consumables.

Then I remembered how many potions I bled through as a Warrior back in ye olde Maplestory and stopped. :smith:

I do like how hard they're committing to Yun's build being pretty poo poo for actual combat, though. It makes me interested in seeing how it all somehow comes together into some kind of top tier setup. And even when it does, Yun literally only got as far as he has through the goodwill of other people so it doesn't feel like it'll be some crazy oversight by the game designers.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
For all that Yun has made crafting and buffs work for him, bows remains strictly inferior to pretty much any other option. Dude seems to do better meleeing with cooking skill most of the time.

Also his fairy is hilariously useless.

• Locked thread